There are 248 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 9moon:
That's RIGHT @ NY.. we wont find anyone out there doing a better job CHOCKING an NFCCG and two Super Bowls while we're up at least by 10 points on all 3 games late in the 4th QTR..

NO ONE !!!

I mean none of you can name a single person lol.

So according to you Sean McDermott and Matt LaFleur should be fire asap. They can'f even get to a SB with their all-pro QBs.

you always lack perspective and context.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Jim wasn't great, but Kyle is starting to make his name as the biggest choker of all time because of his lack of attention to detail. This guy said he didn't know the rules for playoff ot man, it's pretty bad. I know he's an x and o god, but we need him to be a hc. It's his defense, his special teams, and his offense. No more of this I'm just the offensive coordinator I'm doing my job crap

I said this yesterday, the choker label is a made up narrative. A HC in football has a dozen coaches and 53 players, who he needs to execute everything perfectly AND have some luck for it to work out.

Acting like winning one game doesn't make you a "choker" is so silly. So if he goes to 1-1 he's not a choker? If a HC won a SB over a decade ago BUT hasn't done it again, is he a choker again?

Bills kicker makes that FG Levy isn't a choker? I mean when Doug Peterson gets fired this yr, should we replace Kyle with him…because he's not a choker? Tomlin won a SB his second yr as a HC with someone's team (that already won a SB) that was like 15 yrs ago. When does he become a choker again?

Great post. At the end of the day, if you want to objectively assign fault, you have to look at the whole picture.

It's not wrong to hold Kyle accountable for things he can conceivably control, or be reasonably critiqued for. But it IS wrong to hold to him to an impossible standard, and I've seen several people do that.

Some people seriously judge Kyle as if he has God powers, able to physically control all players on the field simultaneously.

I am pretty dang sure Kyle tells Brock in certain situations not to take a sack, and or protect the ball. We most certainly practice ball security. If guys don't do what they've been coached to do (see Spencer Burford in the Super Bowl), it then falls on the player. Period. At most, you can blame a position coach.

If there's any coach who deserves to be criticized right now, it's our special teams coordinator. Our coverage unit has been horrific, and it wound up directly leading to an injury to a guy who was near top of the league in kicking this year. I think if that doesn't improve, Kyle needs to fire him.

Agreed! No one is saying Kyle can't be criticized or shoulder any of the blame. Saying wins and losses are only for one person…who doesn't even touch the football is absurd.

TRUE - that's the reason why you gotta believe we wont win one with KS10.. simply because the luck is not on his side... it's either..

injuries
busts
over thrown
wrong read
poor execution
did not know the OT rules

again, it's no different than LEVY - MARTZ - DUNGY - REID
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
Sorry NY, another non answer. The NFL has clear success metrics. Winning more games than you lose is one of them. Making the post season is another. Then we have winning your division and your conference. The ultimate goal is the superbowl. If you lose more than you win the layers you refer to become pointless. This is a business. So once again, what would it take for you to support change? 2 years of a losing record? 3? 4?

I mean he's won more games than he's lost. He's gone to the playoffs a bunch. Won his division. Gone to NFCC. Gone to SBs. Those are favorable metrics in the grand scheme of the NFL and what other coaches have been doing.

matt lafleur hasn't even been to a SB and that's with Aaron Rogers. Should they be talking about firing him in GB? Sean McDermott should be fired by now according to you. Tomlin hasn't done anything meaningful in 14 yrs (lost a SB). How long does he get? What because he won a SB with someone's else team two yrs into his tenure, he's good to go forever? If Kyle won a SB for SF in 2008 and nothing since then ya'll would be screaming for him to be fired 17 yrs later….And don't b******t me as say no you wouldn't.

If you actually read what I wrote you would understand where I'm coming from. It's not a black and white SB of your fired thing. That's my stance. There's layers and context to what would have to happen.

again no one can name me one legit person to replace him with that does better than what we've done overall.
Yet another non answer.

That's RIGHT @ NY.. we wont find anyone out there doing a better job CHOCKING an NFCCG and two Super Bowls while we're up at least by 10 points on all 3 games late in the 4th QTR..

NO ONE !!!

Probably won't find one that can rebuild the roster in 2 years and get to the title game 4 out of 5 years. Kyle has been the 2nd most successful coach in the league since he completed the rebuild and got a QB. I'm even counting JG who wasn't great but at least was capable when healthy.

Everyone wants another SB win but complaining about the coach that nearly everyone in the NFL considers a top 3 guy is silly. Sure he makes wrong decisions at times but so do the players. Kyle can call the best play every time but if the players don't perform it doesn't work.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Head coach hiring from 2017 to 2022, remaining and fired.

2017 cycle: Shanahan McDermott and McVay

HC's since fired: Vance Joseph, Doug Marrone, Anthony Lynn.

2018 cycle: None

HCs fired since: Pat Shurmur, Mike Vrabel, Steve Wilks, Matt Patricia, Frank Reich, John Gruden, Matt Nagy.

2019 cycle: Zac Taylor, Matt LaFleur

HCs fired since: Brian Flores, Kliff Kingsbury, Vic Fangio, Adam Gase, Freddie Kitchens.

Retired: Bruce Arians

2020 cycle: Kevin Stefanksi, Mike McCarthy

HCs fired since: Matt Rhule, Joe Judge, Ron Rivera

2021 cycle: Dan Campbell, Nick Sirianni

HCs fired since: Robert Saleh, Brandon Staley, Urban Meyer, Arthur Smith, Dave Culley

2022 cycle: Kevin O'Connell, Matt Eberflus, Mike McDaniel, Doug Pederson, Brian Daboll, Dennis Allen.

HCs fired since: Josh McDaniels, Nathaniel Hackett, Lovie Smith,

Looking at all those hiring/firings, I dont really like the odds of this team being successful in finding another coach that consistently gets info the playoffs year by year. Odds are good that they whiff and when that happens, well, remember, you can't fire the owner.

I remember the days of hoping we could land Hue Jackson or Adam Gase lol
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
Where did I say I expected a plug & play upgrade to Shannahan?

I've never even said he should be replaced but what I find to be the funniest part is that people think the only alternative to Shannahan is the end of days.

Head coach hiring from 2017 to 2022, remaining and fired.

2017 cycle: Shanahan McDermott and McVay

HC's since fired: Vance Joseph, Doug Marrone, Anthony Lynn.

2018 cycle: None

HCs fired since: Pat Shurmur, Mike Vrabel, Steve Wilks, Matt Patricia, Frank Reich, John Gruden, Matt Nagy.

2019 cycle: Zac Taylor, Matt LaFleur

HCs fired since: Brian Flores, Kliff Kingsbury, Vic Fangio, Adam Gase, Freddie Kitchens.

Retired: Bruce Arians

2020 cycle: Kevin Stefanksi, Mike McCarthy

HCs fired since: Matt Rhule, Joe Judge, Ron Rivera

2021 cycle: Dan Campbell, Nick Sirianni

HCs fired since: Robert Saleh, Brandon Staley, Urban Meyer, Arthur Smith, Dave Culley

2022 cycle: Kevin O'Connell, Matt Eberflus, Mike McDaniel, Doug Pederson, Brian Daboll, Dennis Allen.

HCs fired since: Josh McDaniels, Nathaniel Hackett, Lovie Smith,

Looking at all those hiring/firings, I dont really like the odds of this team being successful in finding another coach that consistently gets info the playoffs year by year. Odds are good that they whiff and when that happens, well, remember, you can't fire the owner.

It's honestly a very scary situation to me. If Kyle can't right the ship and get over the hump a change will be made eventually. With that change comes major uncertainty. Both in you don't know who you're always getting and also you don't know how the new HC will change the roster or how the new scheme(s) impact the proven players you think will lead you to success once you replace the HC.

Everyone kind of forgets that part. It's not a simple replace Kyle with say Ben Johnson. You can't just slide in a guy and keep all the good stuff Kyle did and sprinkle in improvements on what he didn't do well.

I just hope Kyle and the vets we have manage to right this ship starting with tomorrow and we keep it going and play our best football after making the playoffs and finish it off with the damn W!!!

I do worry that the depth of this roster just isn't there and we'll be in too big a hole by the time CMC/Greenlaw make it back.
* Needs perfect super team.
* Needs no injuries.
* No situational awareness.
* No close out the game or game management situations allowed.
* Repeatedly loses the big games. Can't handle the pressure situations.
* Has monumental collapses regular season and playoffs.

But Shana_FANS say this is irreplaceable. He's an "offensive genius" and ruler of the world. Can never be replaced by another head coach.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
* Needs no injuries.

But Shana_FANS say this is irreplaceable. He's an "offensive genius" and ruler of the world. Can never be replaced by another head coach.

Replace him with who? Still crickets there.
You guys love him so much but he's pretty much single handedly responsible for making mahomes into this goat debate.

I also blame him for all this Taylor Swift hype KC crap we have to deal with as well.

Without shanahan mahomes would just be another good young QB who won a SB instead of this over hyped machine built of shanahans choking failures...

Guy pretty much made mahomes career

NO ONE !!!

I mean none of you can name a single person lol.

So according to you Sean McDermott and Matt LaFleur should be fire asap. They can'f even get to a SB with their all-pro QBs.

you always lack perspective and context.

McDermott should be fired after last week's stupidy ... he made his money and built a pretty good team.. but if he's getting paid and not getting the job done, then he should go too.. that's just the name of the game!!

Maybe we can switch HC and see each other in the Super Bowl... LaFleur still gets a pass for the next 2 years.. he's just now FORMING his own team after Rodgers left.

But both McDemott and Shanny no doubt, can and should be fired..
* Needs no injuries.

I would replace him with Bill Belichick in a heartbeat. You can WIN the Super Bowl with Belichick.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Sorry NY, another non answer. The NFL has clear success metrics. Winning more games than you lose is one of them. Making the post season is another. Then we have winning your division and your conference. The ultimate goal is the superbowl. If you lose more than you win the layers you refer to become pointless. This is a business. So once again, what would it take for you to support change? 2 years of a losing record? 3? 4?

I mean he's won more games than he's lost. He's gone to the playoffs a bunch. Won his division. Gone to NFCC. Gone to SBs. Those are favorable metrics in the grand scheme of the NFL and what other coaches have been doing.

matt lafleur hasn't even been to a SB and that's with Aaron Rogers. Should they be talking about firing him in GB? Sean McDermott should be fired by now according to you. Tomlin hasn't done anything meaningful in 14 yrs (lost a SB). How long does he get? What because he won a SB with someone's else team two yrs into his tenure, he's good to go forever? If Kyle won a SB for SF in 2008 and nothing since then ya'll would be screaming for him to be fired 17 yrs later….And don't b******t me as say no you wouldn't.

If you actually read what I wrote you would understand where I'm coming from. It's not a black and white SB of your fired thing. That's my stance. There's layers and context to what would have to happen.

again no one can name me one legit person to replace him with that does better than what we've done overall.
Yet another non answer.

NO ONE !!!

Probably won't find one that can rebuild the roster in 2 years and get to the title game 4 out of 5 years. Kyle has been the 2nd most successful coach in the league since he completed the rebuild and got a QB. I'm even counting JG who wasn't great but at least was capable when healthy.

Everyone wants another SB win but complaining about the coach that nearly everyone in the NFL considers a top 3 guy is silly. Sure he makes wrong decisions at times but so do the players. Kyle can call the best play every time but if the players don't perform it doesn't work.

HOW we going to find out if we won't find anyone IF we don't replace KYLE?

Brady won w/o Bill so he at least proved that he can win w/o him.. Bill has yet to prove that he can win w/o Brady... so, we have the team now, we have a pretty good QB, a defense that needs some coaching..

WHY NOT BILL ??
McDermott should be fired after last week's stupidy ... he made his money and built a pretty good team.. but if he's getting paid and not getting the job done, then he should go too.. that's just the name of the game!!

Maybe we can switch HC and see each other in the Super Bowl... LaFleur still gets a pass for the next 2 years.. he's just now FORMING his own team after Rodgers left.

But both McDemott and Shanny no doubt, can and should be fired..

Why does LaFleur get a pass…he's had a two time MVP quarterbacking his team and still couldn't get past Kyle. Same s**t last yr with another QB. No SB appreciates. Fired according to everyone here.

Outside of Andy, Kyle is the least likely candidate that should be fired across the league.
* Needs no injuries.

I would replace him with Bill Belichick in a heartbeat. You can WIN the Super Bowl with Belichick.

Belichick was a terrible drafter. He never got good offensive talent other than some linemen. The only reasons he won a lot was playing in the weakest division and having a QB like Brady that didn't demand to be the highest paid guy all the time. Once Brady left the Pats were terrible. Yes Belichick won 6 SBs. He also lost 3.

Bill can't even maintain a winning record let alone win a SB without Brady. Tommy could do it without him. Dude will be 73. Stop it.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Yet another non answer.

NO ONE !!!

HOW we going to find out if we won't find anyone IF we don't replace KYLE?

Brady won w/o Bill so he at least proved that he can win w/o him.. Bill has yet to prove that he can win w/o Brady... so, we have the team now, we have a pretty good QB, a defense that needs some coaching..

WHY NOT BILL ??

Hilarious post… didn't see the plot twist coming.

Nodding my head in agreement as you make the case for Tom being the goat and bill riding his coat tails.

then recommend…. Bill?? Who saw that coming???? 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
Share 49ersWebzone