There are 238 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Hard to answer that seriously when he says his 3rd rebuild. Must've missed the 2nd one...

Also leaving out players like Warner, Lenoir, Mason, I'm sure a few others as well.

Knucklehead behavior (I'm being kind). Also didn't realize Trent, Deebo, kittle, CmC, BA weren't on the roster next yr?

It's possible, like Kyle said, we might not be alive next week

HA
Hard to answer that seriously when he says his 3rd rebuild. Must've missed the 2nd one...

Also leaving out players like Warner, Lenoir, Mason, I'm sure a few others as well.

Knucklehead behavior (I'm being kind). Also didn't realize Trent, Deebo, kittle, CmC, BA weren't on the roster next yr?

Lol Trent could fall off a cliff any day, let alone may retire any time, kittle is declining each year, CMC may never play another down in the NFL and is near 30, BA is okay but may be a cap casualty because he's paid top 5 but doesn't produce top 5. Deebo gone for sure. There's no question there.

You maybe say I disserviced yuk and Warner. I was just grabbing the young difference makers.

Rebuild one was the Jimmy g rebuild. Rebuild 2 was recovery from the 3 first round picks for Lance and move on from Jimmy time

Rebuild 3 is pay Brock 65 million a year and lose all the guys not mentioned above...

Any good NFL coach can rebuild in 3 years from being a top 10 pick in the draft to deep playoffs. There's a good possibility we will need multiple years to recover from paying Brock and the losses above.

You basically have to give him this year and 3 more years of your going to stick with shanahan.

Otherwise cut bait this year and let the new coach deal with paying Brock and build the team around him.
Again Im way more concerned with KS the drafter/talent evaluator than his on the field coaching. Do I trust him in big games or in the clutch? Do I trust him with a lead? Not at all. But unless we getting Andy Reid then I'm riding with Shanny until the wheels fall off. We really got to have more productive drafts. MM and Puni are only playing due to injuries. KS has got to start trusting these young guys or he's going to break his roster.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Again Im way more concerned with KS the drafter/talent evaluator than his on the field coaching. Do I trust him in big games or in the clutch? Do I trust him with a lead? Not at all. But unless we getting Andy Reid then I'm riding with Shanny until the wheels fall off. We really got to have more productive drafts. MM and Puni are only playing due to injuries. KS has got to start trusting these young guys or he's going to break his roster.

yeah you and jreff22 mentioned his involvement with drafts etc. Its a valid topic, but do we actually know the dynamic of how that works with this regime?
There last few drafts have been doo doo.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Lol Trent could fall off a cliff any day, let alone may retire any time, kittle is declining each year, CMC may never play another down in the NFL and is near 30, BA is okay but may be a cap casualty because he's paid top 5 but doesn't produce top 5. Deebo gone for sure. There's no question there.

You maybe say I disserviced yuk and Warner. I was just grabbing the young difference makers.

Rebuild one was the Jimmy g rebuild. Rebuild 2 was recovery from the 3 first round picks for Lance and move on from Jimmy time

Rebuild 3 is pay Brock 65 million a year and lose all the guys not mentioned above...

Any good NFL coach can rebuild in 3 years from being a top 10 pick in the draft to deep playoffs. There's a good possibility we will need multiple years to recover from paying Brock and the losses above.

You basically have to give him this year and 3 more years of your going to stick with shanahan.

Otherwise cut bait this year and let the new coach deal with paying Brock and build the team around him.

This is just oblivious. Time and time again we see that this doesn't happen throughout the league.

And it is even more rare when that rebuild doesn't land an elite QB. We are an exception… not a rule. And that is precisely because of Kyle's coaching qualities.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Same here, as mentioned previously.

Have we ever had a quality, dedicated, GM under Jed York's management of the team?

The answer is no. Why is that? Why were GM's bowing out of the interview process when we hired Shanahan in the first place? We boxed ourselves in so badly that Kyle was able to get control of personnel and a highly paid, lengthy, contract with effectively unprecedented guarantees if he was fired. Why did this happen?

Yeah and a super volcano could end us all tomorrow lol. My god
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
This is just oblivious. Time and time again we see that this doesn't happen throughout the league.

And it is even more rare when that rebuild doesn't land an elite QB. We are an exception… not a rule. And that is precisely because of Kyle's coaching qualities.

You'd think folks would understand that…dude had won a bunch of games with a stinker like Jimmy G and now finally get a good young QB in Brock, goes to the SB in his first yr as a starter and now we have some (the same people) calling for heads to roll in October after a couple last sec losses.

dramatic much?!
So this is probably the reality. This is the last dance for this team this year.

Next year you will have Brock, puni, Jennings, Mason, bosa as your core.

That means we're pretty much rebuilding again. An NFL rebuild takes 3 years on average to go from sucking to back to contention.

Are you guys will to endure having a losing record this year then 2 more years of losing records just give shanahan his chance at a 3rd rebuild?

I wonder where you get the 3 year average from....?

Number wise, forget phase of the rebuild .....19 NFL teams have not won a playoff game in the last 3 years.

7 NFL teams have not been in Confrence Championship game in the last 20 years

10 NFL teams have not been in a Confrence Championship game in the last 10 years

21 NFL teams have not been in a Conference Championship game in the last 5 years.

This begs the question what signals the end of a rebuild? Is it winning playoff games, or being a title contender? Because, 19 teams have won a playoff game in the last 3 years, and 21 of them have not been a title contender in the last 5 yeas.

If loosing means your entering a rebuild, what do you need to start winning again? A good coach? A franchise QB? Impact players on both sides of the ball?

if that 3 year average for a rebuild is accurate (not sure if it is or isn't....I only know playoff droughts seem to last longer then 3 years), I would think having a great coach, a great qb, and an HOF pass rusher would give the team an advantage most rebuilding teams do not have.

You'd think folks would understand that…dude had won a bunch of games with a stinker like Jimmy G and now finally get a good young QB in Brock, goes to the SB in his first yr as a starter and now we have some (the same people) calling for heads to roll in October after a couple last sec losses.

dramatic much?!

like this franchise has not had a recent tendency to start slow to boot....

this team is less worried about September and October, then they are about December and January.....

This team always wants to peek late, not early...

dramatic much?!

The absolute dumbest thing this franchise could do is fire Kyle at the end of this season and pay Brock 60+ million dollars per.

I'm not even convinced we should pay Brock like that with Kyle on board. To me, there's a very real argument to be had that we might be robbing ourselves of value and mismanaging the skills of our assets.

dramatic much?!

The absolute dumbest thing this franchise could do is fire Kyle at the end of this season and pay Brock 60+ million dollars per.

I'm not even convinced we should pay Brock like that with Kyle on board. To me, there's a very real argument to be had that we might be robbing ourselves of value and mismanaging the skills of our assets.

I feel like both guys are tied together and if Brock gets paid it's more of a reason as to why Kyle isn't going anywhere.

there's a whole season of football left to go down that road with Brock. I do think he gets a Tua like deal end of the day.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Koldo:
Let me break it down to you:

Defense
We probably have the worst safety tandem in the league.
The worst CB in the league (Yiadom), an underperforming Ward (who has been average to below-average this season) and a very good player in Lenoir.
Other than Warner, an awful LB corps.
Other than Bosa, a mediocre D-line.

Offense
Brock is a stud. No debate there.
Mason has been great. CMC is a beast but I'm not sure he'll be able to play again.
O-line: the worst RT and C in the league. Trent is still one of the best. Puni has been a pleasant surprise. Banks is average at best.
WR's: Deebo is washed out. Aiyuk is not a top-5 receiver, who's paid like one. JJ has been amazing, the exact type of player this organization desperately needs.
Kittle is still a very good TE but he's starting to decline.
Juice is good but his role is too marginal to have a real impact.

ST
The worst special teams unit in the league without a doubt.

This roster might not stink, but it's starting to give off a funny smell.

Hahahahahaha this just further proves you have absolutely zero perspective of what is going on in the rest of the league.

I mean if you think this roster is so f**king awful, but they're only two plays away from being 4-1…wow that must be a hell of a coaching job?!

Love how you laugh things off when you run out of arguments and can't counter valid points.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
I wonder where you get the 3 year average from....?

Number wise, forget phase of the rebuild .....19 NFL teams have not won a playoff game in the last 3 years.

7 NFL teams have not been in Confrence Championship game in the last 20 years

10 NFL teams have not been in a Confrence Championship game in the last 10 years

21 NFL teams have not been in a Conference Championship game in the last 5 years.

This begs the question what signals the end of a rebuild? Is it winning playoff games, or being a title contender? Because, 19 teams have won a playoff game in the last 3 years, and 21 of them have not been a title contender in the last 5 yeas.

If loosing means your entering a rebuild, what do you need to start winning again? A good coach? A franchise QB? Impact players on both sides of the ball?

if that 3 year average for a rebuild is accurate (not sure if it is or isn't....I only know playoff droughts seem to last longer then 3 years), I would think having a great coach, a great qb, and an HOF pass rusher would give the team an advantage most rebuilding teams do not have.

The average NFL career is only 3 years. Everybody throws around 5 years but that's completely untrue as far as rebuilds go. If your picking top 10-5 for 3 years straight it's easy enough to get enough impact players.

Generally it takes some time to shed your dead weight screwups during the rebuild a la Dee Ford, or Kwon Alexander where your still paying dudes that aren't even on the team or suck for up to 3 years.

You can't say it takes 5 years to rebuild because that's literally almost double the NFL average career. 3 years is all that's needed with good drafting to rearrange the money and go from a crap team to a good team if the coach is good.

In 3 years you can easily get a game changing generational player on one side of the ball.

You go from crap to playoffs 3 years.

Since our core is better than most we should be able to go from like 7-10 to an contender if we reload correctly in 3 years.

But if you cut bait midway your just giving a half ass rebuild to the next coach to sort out. Clock starts over
[ Edited by BoldRedandGold on Oct 9, 2024 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by Dshearn:
like this franchise has not had a recent tendency to start slow to boot....

this team is less worried about September and October, then they are about December and January.....

This team always wants to peek late, not early...

Yeah there's a theme there every yr. It is frustrating losing these "easy" games early. They're schedule isn't getting better from here on out
Share 49ersWebzone