LISTEN: Rookie 49ers Shine Against The Seahawks →

There are 138 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
This - it's as plain as day.

In the ultra-competitive NFL ("any given Sunday"), you cannot be this bad on ST and expect to get away with it, especially against good teams. ST/the "3rd Phase" is so important to either be at level or winning in this area every game...don't blow it here and allow a team momentum (like last night) or to take control of a close game.

We saw what happened in this past SB...KC didn't have a TD but SF opened the door wide open for them late in the 3rd Qtr. with that bad turnover on the punt return (what was Luter, a guy who barely played at all last year and a rookie, doing out there on ST anyway?). People might say that particular play was a fluke play...I say to a degree it was but really it wasn't because you have to have the right guys out there in the right position, especially in as big a game as the SB.

You don't see teams like the Chiefs making such game-changing errors on ST in big games. You really need to be good in all three phases in today's NFL where it's as competitive as ever with rosters being only so deep (salary cap), player injuries (to further test that lack of depth), etc.
Much like the OL it's been a blind spot with this regime for yrs.

How can you keep repeating that BS' They're used a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on O linemen. They've signed traded for Trent Williams. They signed a couple of good centers who were past their prime but serviceable for a year or two. They can't use a 1st or 2nd round pick every year if there isn't anyone worth drafting late in the round. The line isn't good right now at pass blocking. I'm sure they realize that and are hoping a couple of guys might improve. If they continue to struggle all year I'm sure they'll try to address it in the off season. If they go deep into the playoffs again they aren't going to have a shot at any of the top guys so their best bet might be free agency.
Lets see if you can win this one Shanahan. I know he likely can't in the Super Bowl. But can he win even 1 time against Andy Reid, Mahomes and the Chiefs? I would kind of be impressed with even 1 regular season win. Not sure he can do it or not.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 12, 2024 at 9:43 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Lets see if you can win this one Shanahan. I know he likely can't in the Super Bowl. But can he win even 1 time against Andy Reid, Mahomes and the Chiefs? I would kind of be impressed with even 1 regular season win. Not sure he can do it or not.

You would still be crying even if we win lol
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

In the ultra-competitive NFL ("any given Sunday"), you cannot be this bad on ST and expect to get away with it, especially against good teams. ST/the "3rd Phase" is so important to either be at level or winning in this area every game...don't blow it here and allow a team momentum (like last night) or to take control of a close game.

We saw what happened in this past SB...KC didn't have a TD but SF opened the door wide open for them late in the 3rd Qtr. with that bad turnover on the punt return (what was Luter, a guy who barely played at all last year and a rookie, doing out there on ST anyway?). People might say that particular play was a fluke play...I say to a degree it was but really it wasn't because you have to have the right guys out there in the right position, especially in as big a game as the SB.

You don't see teams like the Chiefs making such game-changing errors on ST in big games. You really need to be good in all three phases in today's NFL where it's as competitive as ever with rosters being only so deep (salary cap), player injuries (to further test that lack of depth), etc.

How can you keep repeating that BS' They're used a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on O linemen. They've signed traded for Trent Williams. They signed a couple of good centers who were past their prime but serviceable for a year or two. They can't use a 1st or 2nd round pick every year if there isn't anyone worth drafting late in the round. The line isn't good right now at pass blocking. I'm sure they realize that and are hoping a couple of guys might improve. If they continue to struggle all year I'm sure they'll try to address it in the off season. If they go deep into the playoffs again they aren't going to have a shot at any of the top guys so their best bet might be free agency.
How is it BS? The product on the field tells me all I need to know, especially in big games and big moments. Puni is a stud and Banks is serviceable when healthy. In eight drafts I would expect more yield, especially now with a premium QB.
[ Edited by zeppfan1 on Oct 12, 2024 at 10:58 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

How is it BS? The product on the field tells me all I need to know, especially in big games and big moments. Puni is a stud and Banks is serviceable when healthy. In eight drafts I would expect more yield, especially now with a premium QB.
Expect more? you rather draft all OL ? Is every drafted OL a lock or something?

we invested a lot in OL in so many ways. The OL has been getting better and better every year with keeping a lot of our all pro skill players at the same time. It's not easy an easy thing to do
Share 49ersWebzone