49ers rookie Ricky Pearsall will make NFL debut vs. Chiefs →

There are 178 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Awe bless your heart. What a horrible rebuttal. Typical.

Whatever. Some people can see whats right in front of them, some people can't (or won't). You are happy with just competing and I'm not. Kyle is good enough to get us there and thats good enough for some. Kyle isn't good enough to get it done and thats not good enough for a lot of us.

Thats what it all comes down to.

Philly said the same thing about Andy Reid, he just wasn't good enough. Did Andy change his coaching style or philosophy when philly fired him? No he's still the same pass happy guy but now he just has the best QB in the league leading his offense. Other than the dynasties we have seen the past 50 years, most super bowl victories come down to luck with everything going right.

Kyle put this team in position to win. Kyle didnt fumble the ball like CMC did when we were driving to score. Kyle didn't miss the field goal that would have maybe sealed the game. Kyle didn't whiff on the block on the 49ers final play that maybe would have been a TD. I know you guys blame Kyle for lack of execution but thats something i don't get into. Coaches are for getting the team prepared, coached up and ready to play the game. The players job is to execute. You ask 100 players and 100 players will tell you that. You ask 100 armchair GMs and the ones like you will blame the coach.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Joe Montana is still the G.O.A.T

for SF i would say Rice. Montana was my fave player growing up no doubt.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Philly said the same thing about Andy Reid, he just wasn't good enough. Did Andy change his coaching style or philosophy when philly fired him? No he's still the same pass happy guy but now he just has the best QB in the league leading his offense. Other than the dynasties we have seen the past 50 years, most super bowl victories come down to luck with everything going right.

Kyle put this team in position to win. Kyle didnt fumble the ball like CMC did when we were driving to score. Kyle didn't miss the field goal that would have maybe sealed the game. Kyle didn't whiff on the block on the 49ers final play that maybe would have been a TD. I know you guys blame Kyle for lack of execution but thats something i don't get into. Coaches are for getting the team prepared, coached up and ready to play the game. The players job is to execute. You ask 100 players and 100 players will tell you that. You ask 100 armchair GMs and the ones like you will blame the coach.

Coaches are to blame when you can't execute the first play of the game properly without a penalty. Or when you can't get the game winning play called on time. Yet the same folks that are so down on Kyle excuse the ACTUAL bad coaching of others away.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Oct 16, 2024 at 1:03 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
so your not happy with having a team that can compete?

that's fkn odd

I am. As long as the coach puts the team in position to win the game. If they lose bc someone fumbled the ball, missed a kick, dropped a pass, etc i don't blame the coach.

If the team is getting blown out and is unprepared, fire the coach.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Bringbackedjr:
I am actually having a great week and will have a great Sunday regardless of the outcome. My perspective on the hc differs from yours and that's ok. It's not personal and I certainly don't disparage those that think he is flawless and the only coach worthy of the job regardless of his performance. It's all good. A lot of fans love the coach. But, more and more fans are starting to express concerns. They bring up valid concerns like his poor record in close games, blown leads, stale offense, shoddy special teams, etc etc and a certain group of fans go into attack mode and bring out the typical talking points. It's all very predictable.

Concerns over what? Going to two NFCCs and two SBs in the past 5 yrs? My god every objective fan would love to have that. The opportunity to play in playoff games and SBs consistently is a positive, not a negative.

my whole gripe with some of ya'll is the lack of perspective on how the rest of the league is. Outside of KC who happens to have the goat…no team has been as consistent as SF. No they haven't won the big one, 31 teams miss out on that every single yr though. It's safe to say around 70% of the NFL teams don't even have a realistic shot to win it all.

What stale offense? Kyle and Brock have avg more pts per game than any HC/QB combo (in their first 25 starts) then anyone else….ever. They're currently tied for 8th overall in PPG.

It's not attack mode, it's being objective for once…like I said have some damn perspective. Yes the ST unit is an issue. That's a concern….you can point out concerns for every single team in the NFL. Every one.

What's more predictable is ignoring all those easily understandable "talking points" and pretending they don't exist….and continue to complain. That's what is frustrating in this thread.

Perspective? What's that?

I think you make some valid points, but you tend to skew the argument to always fit your own perspective and you continue to ignore the other perspective. You are always defending your point of view at the expense of differing opinions. For example you look at Kyle and think he is the best we will ever do. Sure he has had a ton of success but that has not translated into a championship. Some of us are focused on winning another ring and we just don't believe he can or will deliver that. All the evidence supports that point of view yet that is swept aside and you continue to rationalize his failures to fit your perspective. When we remind you of his superbowl record you dismiss it and start arguing how lucky we are to make it to the sb. He has built some amazing rosters. Best in the nfl but he can't seem to translate that to a ring. Why? I know, I get it. It's complicated and layered and needs to be looked at in perspective….. well how about the perspective that he can't get it done? While we wait for him to figure it out teams are getting better with younger talent. That means our window is closing… that means we blew our opportunity. Its very true. It's all about perspective. My perspective is we are on the decline and he couldn't get it done with the best of the best so where does that leave us? Struggling to make the playoffs… fighting to stay at or near .500. That's where we are now. We may not win 9 games this year. Injuries, blown opportunities , lack of execution, or whatever you want to say is the cause of our struggles or what is holding us back from a ring are symptoms of his failure. Especially when they continue to happen season after season. It's always something with his teams but it's never him. He has proven he can win games when we score 30. What about the close games where good coaching makes the difference? What's his win percentage? How is Kyle with game management? Two years now with significant defensive struggles. Who hires the coordinator? Special teams is getting worse year over year. What has he done about it? How are we doing with pass protection? Brock is running for his life every down. He has to buy time on nearly every pass play. I cringe every pass play.. is this the play where Brock gets hurt? What has he done to protect the qb? Why is he so pass happy when leading ? Many observers see his flaws but you simply dismiss them or shift the blame. Ultimately you are entitled to your perspective but so are the folks who think KYLE is not the answer. The next 3 years will make it obvious, we are sliding….forget KC. We are not better than the Lions, Vikes or Packers. more and more teams will join that list…. But hey who cares we have a genius running the show.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Grant Cohn on KS:

For you data guys is this data real?

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/49ers-hc-kyle-shanahan-has-an-abysmal-win-percentage-in-close-games-01jaat98g426#:~:text=He's%20also%20one%20of%20the,decided%20seven%20or%20fewer%20points.

Here is a stat: Kyle is 38-19 since 2021.

What's his record in close games and super bowls?
even better

True, he's 100% in super bowls depending on how you look at it LOL
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Just an FYI, this guy will probably go down as the GOAT.

the GOAT? please. i mean he needs 7 SB wins, and 10 appearances just to get on the level. i hear you he's the best in todays' game. but the GOAT is a ways off and once Reid retires, it may not look the same for old Patty.

1. I said probably

2. He only needs 4 more SB wins to tie Brady and he is only 29.
I am actually having a great week and will have a great Sunday regardless of the outcome. My perspective on the hc differs from yours and that's ok. It's not personal and I certainly don't disparage those that think he is flawless and the only coach worthy of the job regardless of his performance. It's all good. A lot of fans love the coach. But, more and more fans are starting to express concerns. They bring up valid concerns like his poor record in close games, blown leads, stale offense, shoddy special teams, etc etc and a certain group of fans go into attack mode and bring out the typical talking points. It's all very predictable.

Concerns over what? Going to two NFCCs and two SBs in the past 5 yrs? My god every objective fan would love to have that. The opportunity to play in playoff games and SBs consistently is a positive, not a negative.

my whole gripe with some of ya'll is the lack of perspective on how the rest of the league is. Outside of KC who happens to have the goat…no team has been as consistent as SF. No they haven't won the big one, 31 teams miss out on that every single yr though. It's safe to say around 70% of the NFL teams don't even have a realistic shot to win it all.

What stale offense? Kyle and Brock have avg more pts per game than any HC/QB combo (in their first 25 starts) then anyone else….ever. They're currently tied for 8th overall in PPG.

It's not attack mode, it's being objective for once…like I said have some damn perspective. Yes the ST unit is an issue. That's a concern….you can point out concerns for every single team in the NFL. Every one.

What's more predictable is ignoring all those easily understandable "talking points" and pretending they don't exist….and continue to complain. That's what is frustrating in this thread.

I think you make some valid points, but you tend to skew the argument to always fit your own perspective
if only you could bring some valid points or anything to show your side instead of just feelings
Just an FYI, this guy will probably go down as the GOAT.

the GOAT? please. i mean he needs 7 SB wins, and 10 appearances just to get on the level. i hear you he's the best in todays' game. but the GOAT is a ways off and once Reid retires, it may not look the same for old Patty.

1. I said probably

2. He only needs 4 more SB wins to tie Brady and he is only 29.
the last two years he has not been playing like a Goat.. I guess it will all depend on how the REFs/League takes him

I think you make some valid points, but you tend to skew the argument to always fit your own perspective
if only you could bring some valid points or anything to show your side instead of just feelings
Yup. Hold on to that thought and let's revisit at the end of the year. And again next year. And the year after that. But since his record is not a valid measure of his performance it does not matter…. Interesting perspective.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

So Bill Russell is the GOAT in basketball?

Robert Horry gotta be up there
Grant Cohn on KS:

For you data guys is this data real?

https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/49ers-hc-kyle-shanahan-has-an-abysmal-win-percentage-in-close-games-01jaat98g426#:~:text=He's%20also%20one%20of%20the,decided%20seven%20or%20fewer%20points.

Here is a stat: Kyle is 38-19 since 2021.

What's his record in close games and super bowls?
even better

True, he's 100% in super bowls depending on how you look at it LOL

It's funny so if he's 1-1 then he's " Allowed" to be the HC here for as long as he wants, right?
Yup. Hold on to that thought and let's revisit at the end of the year. And again next year. And the year after that. But since his record is not a valid measure of his performance it does not matter…. Interesting perspective.

I keep bringing up two NFCCs and two SBs in the past 5 yrs, yet that's not a valid measuring stick apparently
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I fully support the 49ers. But not Shanahan. Who I think you can't really win with. He's fancy smoke and mirrors. But doesn't have it where it really counts.

Neither did Harbs but you loved him

Harbaugh was playing with KRAP & Al_EXCUSES. The mere fact he even made the Super Bowl with that is absolutely incredible. Batting way above your weight. You shouldn't even be able to make it that far with that. Shany has a super team and still can't get it done. Shanahan lost 3 solid times (1 Atlanta, 2 SF) and you guys still ride his jock. Like you got something. With this super team of the last 5 years Harbaugh wins 3 Super Bowls minimum.

Kap, Alex >>>> Jimmy. The fact that Kyle got to the SB with Jimmy is way more impressive. Kap also carried the team in the playoffs his first year.
Share 49ersWebzone