There are 272 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by jreff22:
Nope, Trent doesn't fix the wrong line calls or the gaping holes on the right side. If you really think the OL is fine, we got nothing to discuss.

i think it's rich you say the line is 'terrible' and we have one of the best linemen in the game if not all time. it's a pretty darn good line at getting on those run blocks. they struggle a bit more in protection. it's not terrible. probably one of the better run block ol's out there.
The problem is Kyle is bad at exploiting his players talents.

I'll give you an example:

CMC has things he's really good at
Deebo has things he's really good at
Jennings has things he's really good at
Mason has things he's really good at

Most players do...

Most good coaches would find the 2-5 plays that a certain player is basically unstoppable at and then just mix and match all those plays.

This is what Reid was doing with his screens and machines scrambles etc...

However shanahan instead of calling cmcs best 2-5 plays a game will just give him the ball 30 times and assume he's getting the optimal output.

You have to assume there's 2-5 optimal plays for a lot of guys. You have juice, kittle, deebo, ayuik, CMC, mason, cowing, pearsall, gurrendo,jennings etc ..

Yet we don't see enough uniqueness of plays to say they are tailored for a specific player ...
[ Edited by BoldRedandGold on Oct 20, 2024 at 7:24 PM ]
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
The problem is Kyle is bad at exploiting his players talents.

I'll give you an example:

CMC has things he's really good at
Deebo has things he's really good at
Jennings has things he's really good at
Mason has things he's really good at

Most players do...

Most good coaches would find the 2-5 plays that a certain player is basically unstoppable at and then just mix and match all those plays.

This is what Reid was doing with his screens and machines scrambles etc...

However shanahan instead of calling cmcs best 2-5 plays a game will just give him the ball 30 times and assume he's getting the optimal output.

You have to assume there's 2-5 optimal plays for a lot of guys. You have juice, kittle, deebo, ayuik, CMC, mason, cowing, pearsall, gurrendo, etc ..

Yet we don't see enough uniqueness of plays to say they are tailored for a specific player ...

This is a wild take. Deebo especially is a prime example of a coach tailoring playcalls and schemes around a player's strength. Every one of our offensive players who have thrived are a counter example to this argument. And you can take this argument past Kyle's time with the 49ers (see RG3, Matt Ryan, Schaub).
Originally posted by DrEll:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Kyle had a bad day. Some of his warts were really highlighted.

Most of the games this year have been infuriating to watch. I'm really tired of it. Kyle is capable of so much better than this.

No he's not. It's like what most of you say. A lot of the league has adopted his schemes. Therefore a lot of defenses have adopted to those schemes as well. Except Kyle hasn't "evolved" like everyone thinks he has. And now we're seeing it. He's not going to change. Neither will his schemes. Neither will his game plans. Now the players might change. Obviously with CMC in the lineup you have better production. But we've had CMC for two years now. Hasn't won us a ring yet. So I'm not expecting it to change this year either.

the reality: Kyle has become stale. His offense is stale. His schemes are stale. His game managing is stale. The sooner we realize this and move on, the better…

Thing is, the data says this actually isn't true. He's changed his offense and it's one of the biggest talking points.

The problem is, it's changed for the worse in a lot of ways.

He knows teams were adapting, but instead of modding his stuff for creative edits, he made pretty significant changes and removed some things almost entirely, and I think Purdy may be suffering from it.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Oct 20, 2024 at 7:29 PM ]
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
yet we have a HOF LT. does that add up?

One position doesn't make a solid offensive line.

Banks is serviceable, Brendel is the worst center in the league, Puni is a stud, and McKivitz sucks.

The issue is that they've tried to put subpar guys out there and scheme around the lack of talent and it isn't working anymore.

when you say the line is terrible, or someone said that, i think toward the bottom of the NFL. that's not us.
Nope, Trent doesn't fix the wrong line calls or the gaping holes on the right side. If you really think the OL is fine, we got nothing to discuss.

i think it's rich you say the line is 'terrible' and we have one of the best linemen in the game if not all time. it's a pretty darn good line at getting on those run blocks. they struggle a bit more in protection. it's not terrible. probably one of the better run block ol's out there.

Trent is getting old and it's showing. He's not as elite as he once was
Originally posted by socalfan21:

Trent is getting old and it's showing. He's not as elite as he once was

i've been saying that.
  • Deebo
  • Veteran
Time is over.
  • Koldo
  • Veteran
I've just read the 49ers presser transcript and I have to say that the Bay Area media looks absolutely embarrassing asking lame ass questions.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
This is a wild take. Deebo especially is a prime example of a coach tailoring playcalls and schemes around a player's strength. Every one of our offensive players who have thrived are a counter example to this argument. And you can take this argument past Kyle's time with the 49ers (see RG3, Matt Ryan, Schaub).

Yeah that's the problem. Deebo was good and then got pounded into the ground. Explain to me how Mason has averaged 5 yards a carry for 3 years and is just now seeing the field.

Shanahan just plugs who he thinks fits his scheme best instead of tailoring the scheme to fit his players.

Deebo is past his prime. That's why the same plays are only working sometimes.

Great players can still have huge games they just can't do it consistently. The problem is shanahan doesn't recognize it.

I just named like 8 players with huge strengths. Do you recall a single game where all of them shined in a particular way?

No because he doesn't tailor to players...

Originally posted by Koldo:
I've just read the 49ers presser transcript and I have to say that the Bay Area media looks absolutely embarrassing asking lame ass questions.

what question would you ask?
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Yeah that's the problem. Deebo was good and then got pounded into the ground. Explain to me how Mason has averaged 5 yards a carry for 3 years and is just now seeing the field.

Shanahan just plugs who he thinks fits his scheme best instead of tailoring the scheme to fit his players.

Deebo is past his prime. That's why the same plays are only working sometimes.

Great players can still have huge games they just can't do it consistently. The problem is shanahan doesn't recognize it.

I just named like 8 players with huge strengths. Do you recall a single game where all of them shined in a particular way?

No because he doesn't tailor to players...

Buddy, we had* one of the most efficient seasons all time just last year with multiple players putting up great years, including a 7th round QB with limited physical talent.

I would agree that Kyle falls in love with his top skill guys at times, like not spelling CMC last season as an example… but he consistently is putting players in positions to succeed.

Another good example was how he had adjusted the offense for Lance. It just wasn't pretty and didn't work because the player wasn't competent but an obvious adjustment was clearly there.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Oct 20, 2024 at 7:56 PM ]
  • Koldo
  • Veteran

Not stupid questions such as "are you sad cause Brandon Aiyuk got injured?"
Not stupid questions such as "are you sad cause Brandon Aiyuk got injured?"

kyle's we will rally around Slick Rick, and we will play good football moment

"When will you and your team be committing ritual harakiri, and will it be televised for the fans to celebrate?" - Unfaithful
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 20, 2024 at 7:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone