There are 282 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Mike Tomlin has the Steelers compete every year. No matter what.

Pete Carroll was pretty much the same.

Belichick.

Andy Reid was wildly depleted today too and he ran circles around this staff.

The list goes on and on. Those are good head coaches. They're real head coaches. Kyle shanahan needs a roster that I could coach to the super bowl...and he still loses it. Twice.

Who the f**k doesn't go for two when you're down two? what was the rationale for taking the extra point?
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

Belichick.

The list goes on and on. Those are good head coaches. They're real head coaches. Kyle shanahan needs a roster that I could coach to the super bowl...and he still loses it. Twice.

Who the f**k doesn't go for two when you're down two? what was the rationale for taking the extra point?
The Steelers haven't been a legitimate threat in years Tomlins pretty overrated.

Belichick.

I'm mad at Kyle, but you reallly reaching here....Tomlin got the stealers compete every year to barely be relevant...... no matter WATT....
Kyle's team is soft, unprepared and uninspired. this is the worst, most talented team I've ever seen. they don't cover, they don't get open, they make stupid mistakes etc. I think if Kyle drops another one next week he's gone. Dallas could be the coach killer if we look this bad again next week, today was embarrassing
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by redrathman:
I'm convinced Mike ran the offense like a shadow Head Coach last year and just couldn't do it this year do to poor health. Why else would play calling become so predictable?

CMC is a mismatch that opens up an offense.

Mason is the second leading rusher in the NFL.

Mason is not a threat in the passing game like CMC is. He made a lot of the other WRs jobs a lot easier.

Pretty much this!!!

So Kyle is an absolute scrub unless he has an all pro RB? How many pro bowlers does he have on offense again? He's just not this offensive genius he's made out to be. The league has figured him out.

It's a combination of things.

You don't require CMC, but Mason and Guerendo are not threats in the passing game, which is something the best RBs in Shanahan's scheme have been (Mostert, Coleman and Breida were all far better on passing plays than Mason).

Has Kyle been figured out? Yes, to a degree. His offensive ideas have been adopted league wide at this point. Teams have had 15 years now to bridge the gap since he was first an OC in Houston, see his concepts every week now, and while he still gets strong results over all against the best DCs he's lost some edge.

In addition to that, the red zone offense has fallen off a cliff since last season. It's literally gone from first to worst. It's the same issues only amplified as the bodies get compressed together. Teams don't fear the run game at all with Mason - he gets a ton of yards between the 20s but can't punch it in down in the red zone.

Purdy is also making life harder on himself by passing up the 5 yard chunk plays. More 2nd/3rd and longs. I suspect this is what their post game chat was mostly about.

It's not as simple as just swapping out the plays. These are the plays they practiced all summer. They're failing at it in key situations. That isn't solved overnight. It will likely take some personnel adjustments and a new install this off season to really counter all of this. Until then you do what you can to tweak it, and the bye week will provide a little more time to do that, but don't expect miracles. It should improve once CMC returns because he scares the s**t out of defenses, but other guys need to deliver as well. That includes Shanny going back to more basics to counter the man coverage they will see. If I'm a defense I never run a single zone coverage against us this season.

The 15 year part is what I've stated. He can still get yards at a pretty good clip but this scheme with him as the playcaller is going to need some help. I think he tried to get ahead of it with the Pearsall, Cowing, and Guerendo picks, but the league got ahead of him. Then to add injuries, etc. The changes we have are fixable, but it's going to take an offseason to really get there.

Serves the team well. It'll force some hard decisions that are being delayed.
Does Kyle even have a hurry up offense?
Last year was our shot.

Belichick.

Would love to hear anyone that can still defend this clown.

He was never a head coach and never will be.

His bread and butter was play calling and scheming. He can't even do that now; and he still can't head coach.

He called a better offense with Mullens and Jeremy Kerley than he does with players like kittle, deebo, aiyuk, purdy, and CMC/Mason.

I think anyone could have won the super bowl with the team he had last year. It was the best 49ers roster I've seen other than 1994 and honestly, may have been better or at minimum, right on par.

He's a loser. I'm tired of losing.

Andy Reid seems like he has an unlimited amount of curveballs in his bag of tricks. His offense never seems stale even when Mahomes isn't lighting it up.

This offense isn't terrible but it does seem stale.

this used to be a Harbaugh complaint too. How many pro bowlers do we need on offense for it to function properly? Seems like other teams get more with less.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximusdecimus:
Does Kyle even have a hurry up offense?

Nope. On that BA injury he didn't even want to call a Timeout. He was forced to by the refs because of injury. He was happy to burn off as much time as possible and likely go into half with 2 TOs in his back pocket.

Add to that not going for two points to tie it in a game where you know your team is struggling.

He is a f**king clown. Needs to be fired.

Belichick.

The list doesn't go on and on… you just listed four coaches, two of which don't even coach in the nfl anymore.

on and on and on….. lol!
Share 49ersWebzone