There are 303 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by PatandBow:
He needs to be fired. Completely over matched and out coached in all the big games. 3 - 4 record with a super team. 0 - 5 vs Andy Reid. 0 - 3 in the Super Bowl with leads. For sure he needs a strong GM to take power away from him at a minimum. Messes up all the drafts, FA, over paying certain players. You just can't get it done with this. Time to go and for us to move on.

Truth 100% agree

49-26?
His decision making in abysmal. The Chiefs have Spagnola and he fires Wilks and ends up hiring Nick Sorensen, which to me is a significant downgrade with no experience way over his head. Our special teams coordinator sucks yet he refuses to replace him. His red zone offense is one of the worst in the league. Wide receivers never have separation and it is a struggle to get the ball to them. He fails to make in game adjustments because he is too focused gloating over his offensive genius play sheet. He looks like he is at the point that he is not passionate enough to care anymore and the team's performance on the field is reflection of that. Undisciplined, unprepared, too many penalties, and not in sync.
Originally posted by Heroism:
This fanbase deserves another decade of Tomsula/Chip Kelly, and fortunately, that's exactly what you guys are going to get if Shanny gets fired.

They act like great HCs grow on trees lol.
This team just doesn't seem to have any fire or heart. Maybe it's Kyle's playcalling and system being too predictable. Maybe it's him as a leader for both his coordinators and players.

Great coaches don't just roll over and take it then ask for another. I wish he would break clip boards, demote coaches and cut players but that's not him.

Professional players still need to be coached up, and it just feels way off this season.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
His decision making in abysmal. The Chiefs have Spagnola and he fires Wilks and ends up hiring Nick Sorensen, which to me is a significant downgrade with no experience way over his head. Our special teams coordinator sucks yet he refuses to replace him. His red zone offense is one of the worst in the league. Wide receivers never have separation and it is a struggle to get the ball to them. He fails to make in game adjustments because he is too focused gloating over his offensive genius play sheet. He looks like he is at the point that he is not passionate enough to care anymore and the team's performance on the field is reflection of that. Undisciplined, unprepared, too many penalties, and not in sync.

He tired to hire Bill, tried to get the jets DC. Nick wasn't his first pick and he hired Staley who was a damn good DC to help there.

Kyle has dealt with more coaching turnover than anyone in football. s**t no one is poaching Andy, especially on defense. I don't think fans understand how important that it.

The lamest thing someone says is "no adjustments" how the hell do you know they didn't make adjustments? Making adjustments doesn't always equal success. A lot of teams lose to KC in case you didn't know.

I want to see the film and what was actually bad and what wasn't.
This fanbase deserves another decade of Tomsula/Chip Kelly, and fortunately, that's exactly what you guys are going to get if Shanny gets fired.

i like Kyle, but this is a soft argument imo. Cuz we moved off of Harbs and we got Kyle in time. probably no Kyle if we ride Harbs a long time. we quickly moved off Tomsula and Kelly. that was not a 'decade' lol. get real.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

They act like great HCs grow on trees lol.

Giving examples of who they want is hilarious.
One of the biggest problems with Kyle is he is so rigid on QB. I'm one of the biggest Brock Purdy supporters. So this isn't meant as criticism to him. I further don't think he is the biggest problem on this team. But KYLE is problematic in this area. He wants someone to "run his system" and stay on schedule.

He didn't like Mahomes, Brady, couldn't get Cousins, wouldn't like Jayden Daniels or Caleb Williams of the new young guys. Who knows if the young ones turn out or not. But the NFL is changing. Maybe an elite talent there makes the most sense.

Kyle is so rigid he can't look past his system and his own stupid plays. Maybe if you have a 6'4" tall guy with a big arm that's good. Or a guy who can scramble around and make plays that aren't called. Kyle wants Jimmy G and Purdy because they run his STUPID plays. I just think he gets in the way of himself.

While I like Purdy and don't think he's the biggest problem here. Kyle even coaches him down. Not doing anything innovative to get open vs man, no redzone offense, not rebuilding the offensive line. Purdy is a great processor and a pretty good athlete but perhaps not elite as an athlete. Not that you can't win with him. I even think Kyle coaches him down in some ways. Just a super elite guy in this day and age to go up against Mahomes. That may be helpful. But crazy enough Kyle wouldn't even want that guy. He wants somebody to stay on schedule and run his STUPID plays. Kyle can't get out of his own way. Too arrogant and stubborn on offense to see the bigger picture.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Ask yourself this, if Andy Reid had the 49ers personnel running his offense, would he have struggled yesterday?

Andy Reid isn't available to hire, so that's a pointless question.

There's not an available HC candidate out there that is some slam dunk guarantee of anything, IMO.
It's not a pointless question, it's meant to bring to light that Shanahan is underperforming with players he drafted yet Andy Reid is succeeding with people that he called up to his roster that were literally on their own sofa a week or 2 prior. I'm not advocating we fire Shanahan but I think changes need to be made. Lot of guys succeeding around the league like Slowik or Kubiak who maybe would have stayed around had Shanahan given them the title of OC. Change #1 is the ST coordinator who should have been gone weeks ago. Change #2, Ronnie Bell & Devondre Campbell. They offer nothing to this team. Might as well give Terrace Marshall a chance to see what we have there and Winters more opportunities. Same can be said for Green over Yiadom which now seems to be happening.
Steve Young just blasted Shanahan's milquetoast red zone offense on KNBR.

Originally posted by redrathman:

amen. Reid's 1 million concepts in the red area or goal line, blows shanny out of the water.
One of the biggest problems with Kyle is he is so rigid on QB. I'm one of the biggest Brock Purdy supporters. So this isn't meant as criticism to him. I further don't think he is the biggest problem on this team. But KYLE is problematic in this area. He wants someone to "run his system" and stay on schedule.

He didn't like Mahomes, Brady, couldn't get Cousins, wouldn't like Jayden Daniels or Caleb Williams of the new young guys. Who knows if the young ones turn out or not. But the NFL is changing. Maybe an elite talent there makes the most sense.

Kyle is so rigid he can't look past his system and his own stupid plays. Maybe if you have a 6'4" tall guy with a big arm that's good. Or a guy who can scramble around and make plays that aren't called. Kyle wants Jimmy G and Purdy because they run his STUPID plays. I just think he gets in the way of himself.

While I like Purdy and don't think he's the biggest problem here. Kyle even coaches him down. Not doing anything innovative to get open vs man, no redzone offense, not rebuilding the offensive line. Purdy is a great processor and a pretty good athlete but perhaps not elite as an athlete. Not that you can't win with him. I even think Kyle coaches him down in some ways. Just a super elite guy in this day and age to go up against Mahomes. That may be helpful. But crazy enough Kyle wouldn't even want that guy. He wants somebody to stay on schedule and run his STUPID plays. Kyle can't get out of his own way. Too arrogant and stubborn on offense to see the bigger picture.

He did want that guy. It's why they drafted Lance - to be the Mahomes/Allen new school QB who wins by playing backyard football.

Thing is, Mahomes isn't even that QB anymore. He's a dink and dunker now who maybe has one scramble and one deep shot per game, but otherwise relies on his defense to hold the opponent under 20.

Backyard improv QB is not a sustainable strategy. Mahomes and Allen do best when they play within the scheme their HCs have provided them. Brock does best when he plays within the scheme Shanahan has provided him. Purdy has been choosing to always look for the big plays and passing up the dinks and dunks. They're right there in the play calls. Yes, Shanny could call more screens and such too, but this isn't all on Kyle to pick the easy completions over pushing it down the field. Brock has been choosing to do that a lot of the time.
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 21, 2024 at 10:59 AM ]
Give shanahan mahomes and give Reid purdy and we probably get blown out even worse every game...

Shanahan wouldn't be able to adapt his scheme to mahomes skillset and Reid would dice us with purdy...

No amount of overwhelming talent is enough for KS
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Give shanahan mahomes and give Reid purdy and we probably get blown out even worse every game...

Shanahan wouldn't be able to adapt his scheme to mahomes skillset and Reid would dice us with purdy...

No amount of overwhelming talent is enough for KS

straight up nonsense.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by redrathman:

amen. Reid's 1 million concepts in the red area or goal line, blows shanny out of the water.

You would agree those 1 million concepts work a lot better when you have the best QB in the NFL
Share 49ersWebzone