LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 161 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by BYisGod:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
For years people said Kyle was limited by his QB. Maybe that's still true.

I sure hope this isn't serious. He's been the head coach for damn near a decade. He's had his choice of QBs.

lol his choice was Kirk and he never got him. I'm sure if every HC got their choice of QB, half of them wouldn't be fired.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I sure hope this isn't serious. He's been the head coach for damn near a decade. He's had his choice of QBs.

lol his choice was Kirk and he never got him. I'm sure if every HC got their choice of QB, half of them wouldn't be fired.

You're saying the qb's he's drafted weren't his choices?
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

there's having your choice of everyone and there's having a choice between a limited amount... both at not the same

So Kyle put his eggs in one basket with Kirk and didn't land him? That's okay. Sometimes you make a calculation and it doesn't work out. But how could we forget Lance? The 49ers traded up for him—he was hand-selected.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

there's having your choice of everyone and there's having a choice between a limited amount... both at not the same

He could have had Kirk. He chose Jimmy no?

after KC was franchised and rumors of snyder franchising KC again... Lynch convinced Kyle on Jimmy

Do you remember how good Jimmy looked? I think everyone thought we were getting Tom Brady 2.0.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Do you remember how good Jimmy looked? I think everyone thought we were getting Tom Brady 2.0.

For 5 games?

So Kyle put his eggs in one basket with Kirk and didn't land him? That's okay. Sometimes you make a calculation and it doesn't work out. But how could we forget Lance? The 49ers traded up for him—he was hand-selected.

Covid year helped make things weird, wo that didn't help. Shanahan went against his instincts and went for the high reward/high risk guy because all the wisdom of the current NFL is that pocket system QBs are boring and no longer able to win the SB while you want a guy who never runs a system but just plays backyard ball and miracles himself to a title. I'm exaggerating a bit, but that's basically it. That entire QB draft class has produced a bunch of busts, and a couple different level of mediocre QBs in Lawrence and Fields. They didnt expect to have a down year like 2020 for a bit so 2021 offseason was the year they presumed was the right one to get a QB high up since they had the draft capital, and while they were right about the circumstances the draft class didn't produce.
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 21, 2024 at 4:17 PM ]
Jimmy looked great! So did Brock. Kyle wears them down with his vanilla play calling then blames them. I DO NOT like Cohn, but he has some points about Kyle's lack of creativity. Even if the play doesn't work, give the players something to grasp to instead of the same dumb plays that end up the same way at the end. Just MO. Please give me some hope that Kyle IS a genius like a lot of people say.
[ Edited by 8080849ers on Oct 21, 2024 at 4:15 PM ]

That was Lynch who talked Kyle into it. It's been discussed a million times.

And I understand why they took that approach. Anything can happen in FA. As much Kirk loved playing for Kyle, money talks.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
For 5 games?

It was a mistake in hindsight, but pretty much a no brainer at the time. They could have potentially franchised him, but probably not a great move with a new asset.

He was a key piece, at least optically, in the rejuvenation of the team and fanbase.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

For 5 games?

Yuuup our team that couldn't win a game was beating playoff teams with a QB who barely knew the playbook. Sure it's easy to go all hindsight on it. But I'm betting everyone in here was psyched and ready to give our first born children to the shrine of Jimmy Jesus

It wasn't a simple decision. Garoppolo showed promise and was 3 years younger than Cousins with far less wear & tear on his body. 7 years later Cousins still hasn't shown he can win in the playoffs, so it's not like he went on to have multiple championships.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

That was Lynch who talked Kyle into it. It's been discussed a million times.

And I understand why they took that approach. Anything can happen in FA. As much Kirk loved playing for Kyle, money talks.

He still made that decision. Lynch didn't have a gun to his head.

He has had plenty of QB's he chose. Purdy imo is the best one to date.
Share 49ersWebzone