LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 173 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Not winning a SB with the lineup he was given is worth a firing.

Having a losing record with that line up demands a firing.

why hasn't John Harbs been fired? Great roster for the past decade. 2x MVP QB and can't even make it to a SB with him. Tomlin should have been fired a long time ago according to this dumb take.

Maybe because John Harbs has already won one SB for the Ravens and only has 2 losing records in 15 seasons. Kyle has lost two SB's and has had 3 losing seasons here looking to add a 4th in 8 seasons here.

Context matters. If the Ravens lost Jackson to injury early in the season like SF did with Garoppolo in 2018 and 2020 they'd likely have more losing seasons.

I know it's part of his record, but I look at 2017-2018 as a totally different thing than 2019-present. Known rebuilding years, + losing the QB in 2018.
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 23, 2024 at 7:56 AM ]
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Who gives a flying f**k what a Head Coach did over a decade ago? why should what you did in 2012 or 2008 matter in 2024?

lol so if they just got above .500 that's all that matters? Bunch of hypocrites

Better than losing 2 SB's in the last 5 years, especially when you go into the game as the favorite.
Originally posted by DrEll:
lol 49ers fans have no patience. Let's see. No SB wins in 30 years. 3 SB losses in the past 10, 2 of them where we up by double digits.

Kyle's fanbase's response…have some patience, it's not easy losing Super bowls, let alone win one.

Then go be a KC fan….they had to wait 50 yrs. You can jump on that bandwagon

So if you were a fan of Pitt or Baltimore you would be whining all damn day to have those guys fired right????

that fan bases has some serious patience those coaches haven't won s**t in like 15+ years.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

why hasn't John Harbs been fired? Great roster for the past decade. 2x MVP QB and can't even make it to a SB with him. Tomlin should have been fired a long time ago according to this dumb take.

I wish folks would stop saying fired and start saying criticized/questioned which is what is really happening.

The problem is when the criticizing/questioning is done without context. John Harbaugh and Tomlin are brought up because it's context - guys who haven't even been to a SB since before Kyle was a HC, yet nobody is holding their feet to the fire because they're "winners" based one game from 12 and 16 years ago, respectively. They aren't as good of winners as Kyle has been in a decade, yet Kyle is a "loser"? That doesn't hash out.

49er fans have no patience. Nobody likes a down season, but things don't always turn on a dime. Kyle deserves a little time to see if he can both right this season, and if that doesn't quite work he also deserved time to see if they can reshape the team for 2025-2026. Don't fall into the trap of the Eagles ditching Reid, or the Browns ditching Belichick - or the 49ers ditching Jim Harbaugh. One should have to see sustained failure for a much longer time than a few weeks to make that move, especially after three years of sustained success. And yes, the last three years WERE sustained success in HC terms even I they didn't end with a SB win. There's degrees of success, and while not the pinnacle, the last three years were damn good ones overall.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Kyle Shanahan is the best HC the 9ers had since George Seifert. Haters keep hating!!!!

I love the my head coach!!!
Who gives a flying f**k what a Head Coach did over a decade ago? why should what you did in 2012 or 2008 matter in 2024?

Better than losing 2 SB's in the last 5 years, especially when you go into the game as the favorite.

No it isn't. Getting to the SB is far better than just making the playoffs.

The idea that if Kyle won the SB last year this fan base would be fine with him straddling .500 for the next decade and never getting to the SB again is ludicrous.

Also the Chiefs were the favorite in 2019.
[ Edited by captveg on Oct 23, 2024 at 7:58 AM ]

How is not even making it to a SB better? Oh and Tomlin's last SB he lost

ya'll are a bunch of whiny hypocrites
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

They got nothin NY!!!!! Haha!!!
  • jcs
  • Veteran

No it's not, it's the same. You lost in the postseason, what's worse you're forever marked as the loser in a championship game. For Kyle it just adds to his mystique going back to the greatest comeback in SB history vs Brady as the Atlanta OC that didn't run the ball in the 2nd half of the game.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I'm sure Baltimore ownership takes into account Harbs winning their 2nd franchise Super Bowl when judging his career just like Jed should take Kyle's two losses in the SB into account.

Remember this is the guy:

"It's up to us to make sure we compete for and win Super Bowls," York said. "That's our only goal. We don't raise division championship banners, we don't raise NFC Championship banners. We raise Super Bowl banners. And whenever we don't deliver that, I hope that you will hold me directly responsible and accountable for it. And we look forward to getting this thing back on track."
Context matters. If the Ravens lost Jackson to injury early in the season like SF did with Garoppolo in 2018 and 2020 they'd likely have more losing seasons.

I know it's part of his record, but I look at 2017-2018 as a totally different thing than 2019-present. Known rebuilding years, + losing the QB in 2018.

They don't care about context. Outside of 3 seasons with Jim and Kyle this team went 8-8 or worse 20 yrs. Kyle comes in, builds the team into a winning franchise that's competing to go to SBs and we have whiners.

outside of being a fan of KC, there isn't a fan base that's experienced more winning over the past 5 yrs. They'd be crying everywhere they went.

Just imagine if Kyle won a SB in 2008 and it's 2024 and nothing else. He had a first ballot HOF QB for most of his tenure here…you think fans wouldn't be doing what they're doing right now if him? Anyone saying no is a big fat lier

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

No it's not, it's the same. You lost in the postseason, what's worse you're forever marked as the loser in a championship game. For Kyle it just adds to his mystique going back to the greatest comeback in SB history vs Brady as the Atlanta OC that didn't run the ball in the 2nd half of the game.

Who gives a f**k that Shanahan didn't run the ball, he was trying to add to the lead. Blame Dan Quinn and his defense who couldn't keep the lead. Tired of this dumb f**kin take that Shanahan blew that Falcons Super Bowl. It was 28-9 at the end of the 3rd quarter, what is a defense suppose to do when the offense has given them a big lead? Here's a hint stop the opposing offense from scoring.....shoot I told you the answer.

In 2018, the New England Patriots won a Super Bowl by only scoring 13 frickin points.....13!!!!! And the coach some of your praise over Shanahan in Sean McVay couldn't even score s**t in that Super Bowl but a measly 3 points. But both defenses did their job in that Super Bowl why couldn't Atlanta's do the same in theirs??
[ Edited by Kolohe on Oct 23, 2024 at 8:08 AM ]
I'm sure Baltimore ownership takes into account Harbs winning their 2nd franchise Super Bowl when judging his career just like Jed should take Kyle's two losses in the SB into account.

Remember this is the guy:

"It's up to us to make sure we compete for and win Super Bowls," York said. "That's our only goal. We don't raise division championship banners, we don't raise NFC Championship banners. We raise Super Bowl banners. And whenever we don't deliver that, I hope that you will hold me directly responsible and accountable for it. And we look forward to getting this thing back on track."

If Kyle won a Super Bowl back in 2012 and it's 2024, he's been given a 2X QB MVP and hasn't even made it back to the Super Bowl…you would ALL be screaming to have Kyle fired. Not a damn thing would be different. Anyone saying no, is a liar.

same s**t for Tomlin…Kyle wins a SB with Bill Cowher's team in f**king 2008, has a first ballot HOF QB for most of his tenure and has nothing after that…. You would all be screaming about having Kyle fired in 2024.

Wouldn't be shocked if I'm arguing with some people in here that don't even remember Pitt winning a SB, yet they think Tomlin is untouchable.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

I wish folks would stop saying fired and start saying criticized/questioned which is what is really happening.

The problem is when the criticizing/questioning is done without context. John Harbaugh and Tomlin are brought up because it's context - guys who haven't even been to a SB since before Kyle was a HC, yet nobody is holding their feet to the fire because they're "winners" based one game from 12 and 16 years ago, respectively. They aren't as good of winners as Kyle has been in a decade, yet Kyle is a "loser"? That doesn't hash out.

49er fans have no patience. Nobody likes a down season, but things don't always turn on a dime. Kyle deserves a little time to see if he can both right this season, and if that doesn't quite work he also deserved time to see if they can reshape the team for 2025-2026. Don't fall into the trap of the Eagles ditching Reid, or the Browns ditching Belichick - or the 49ers ditching Jim Harbaugh. One should have to see sustained failure for a much longer time than a few weeks to make that move, especially after three years of sustained success. And yes, the last three years WERE sustained success in HC terms even I they didn't end with a SB win. There's degrees of success, and while not the pinnacle, the last three years were damn good ones overall.

I understand your point and tend to agree for the most part. But for me it's not a patience thing anymore…. I'm starting to believe we won't have another shot at winning it all under Kyle. Not all of it is his fault, some of it is.

im starting to believe his scheme is what makes us successful against good teams, but also what keeps us from being able to beat great teams. I also think a few of his philosophies are limiting factor, like the little interest in special teams and low emphasis on offensive line. The stats say he's unable to win gritty games consistently… I believe this has as much to do with his priorities in talent-acquisition as it does his scheme.

i won't go so far as to call for him to be fired anymore. My impatience has turned to indifference. He's shown zero interest in adjusting his philosophies… what we've done is what we'll continue to do… be a playoff-caliber team that can't compete with certain defensive schemes and won't tend to win the gritty games. The ball bounces against more often than it doesn't… on this large of a timeline the bad bounces of the game aren't the result of bad luck.

This is fair criticism.

I was thinking I do not see the point in constantly comparing one coach to another, but we have 8 years of data on Kyle. Has he improved himself? I think yes and no. So many areas of discussion with a HC its hard to even put it all together, but you made some great points. I think a lot can be attributed to the coaching turnover, but nobody cares, he has to keep finding good ones.

Thing is, the defensive adjustments to his offense are brand new. This is all a reaction to how the Chiefs D played the SB. Gotta give him some actual time to see if he'll find a way to counter. It may take a full offseason as the problem being beyond just the Chiefs didn't reveal itself until the season started, and the personnel really can't be changed mid-season, aside from some key IR returns. He's earned the time to make that attempt. We have past evidence of him doing both midseason adjustments to end rough periods (2021 and 2023), and we have past evidence of him adjusting to down seasons that were derailed in part by injuries (2018>2019, 2020>2021).

I believe he is trying to make adjustments now. Drop back game and going deep with it etc, but the o line sucks and our skill players just appear to not be great at beating man coverage on the regular. Also once the chiefs showed how the first half vs second half went in the SB I assumed everyone would try that as well.... so why hasn't he invested more in to the line? Now its biting him in the ass. I do believe Feliciano at center would be a HUGE upgrade and make a cascading difference across the offense, but will they do it?

Maybe because John Harbs has already won one SB for the Ravens and only has 2 losing records in 15 seasons. Kyle has lost two SB's and has had 3 losing seasons here looking to add a 4th in 8 seasons here.

This read as contradicting to me. You tell someone who cares what a coach did 10 years ago vs what has he done now, but also tell them to be patient with Kyle after 8 years as well and if we fire him we go back to Tomsula etc.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Who gives a f**k that Shanahan didn't run the ball, he was trying to add to the lead. Blame Dan Quinn and his defense who couldn't keep the lead. Tired of this dumb f**kin take that Shanahan blew that Falcons Super Bowl. It was 28-9 at the end of the 3rd quarter, what is a defense suppose to do when the offense has given them a big lead? Here's a hint stop the opposing offense from scoring.....shoot I told you the answer.

In 2018, the New England Patriots won a Super Bowl by only scoring 13 frickin points.....13!!!!! And the coach some of your praise over Shanahan in Sean McVay couldn't even score s**t in that Super Bowl but a measly 3 points. But both defenses did their job in that Super Bowl why couldn't Atlanta's do the same in theirs??

Dude they don't care about how it actually works. One sentence it's "HEaD COach iS ReSPOnsible FoR W/Ls" yet they won't even talk about Dan Quinn. He's the f**king HC, he absolutely has say in what plays are called….It's like not blaming Jim for losing any game because he wasn't calling plays. I mean in that case he shouldn't get credit for winning anything, right Can't have it both ways.

Blowing a massive lead is because that defense couldn't stop a nose bleed. Over 500 yards and couldn't even give the offense a shot in OT.

These folks are so ignorant when it comes to actually understanding football or just being objective for once…I have more intellectual conversations with my 3 yr old.
I believe he is trying to make adjustments now. Drop back game and going deep with it etc, but the o line sucks and our skill players just appear to not be great at beating man coverage on the regular. Also once the chiefs showed how the first half vs second half went in the SB I assumed everyone would try that as well.... so why hasn't he invested more in to the line? Now its biting him in the ass. I do believe Feliciano at center would be a HUGE upgrade and make a cascading difference across the offense, but will they do it?

This read as contradicting to me. You tell someone who cares what a coach did 10 years ago vs what has he done now, but also tell them to be patient with Kyle after 8 years as well and if we fire him we go back to Tomsula etc.

Tomlin hasn't won anything in over 16 yrs. Hasn't even been to a SB 14 yrs. That's with a first ballot HOF QB for most of it.

John hasn't been to a SB 12 yrs. That's with a 2x MVP at QB.

Every single "fan" that's currently crying about Kyle would be running around with pitchforks trying to fire those guys…based off what they're talking about right now. Winning a SB 12-16 yrs ago doesn't mean s**t right now. Who cares.

Kyle JUST went to a SB for god sake. HC's don't get fired for going to 2 NFCCs and 2 SBs in 5 yrs. Doesn't happen.

The overall possibility that they hire the next Tomsula or Chip Kelly vs Andy Ried is MUCH higher….go look at the league and the turnover. Go look at the past HCs here. Ya'll want some Bill Walsh lotto ticket. That was over 30 yrs ago. Get over it.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 23, 2024 at 8:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone