There are 168 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by jcs:
Maybe because John Harbs has already won one SB for the Ravens and only has 2 losing records in 15 seasons. Kyle has lost two SB's and has had 3 losing seasons here looking to add a 4th in 8 seasons here.

Who gives a flying f**k what a Head Coach did over a decade ago? why should what you did in 2012 or 2008 matter in 2024?

lol so if they just got above .500 that's all that matters? Bunch of hypocrites

Nah you're dead wrong. You can't say that Kyle is a better coach than John Harbaugh because he lost 2 Super Bowls recently and John won his more than a decade ago. That's a ridiculous comparison and you have a tendency to do that just to protect your boy Kyle.

Kyle has lost this team. Your dynasty run is over. The end result was 2 SB losses and 2 NFCC losses. 3 of those 4 games should have been won because the team was up double digits. You don't want accept it because you assume that Kyle will eventually win one because of luck OR you're convinced the next coach will bring us back to the early 00s. The irony of your previous joke about hiring Pederson is that he replaced Andy Reid and won a SB. Who woulda thunk ?
Originally posted by DrEll:
Nah you're dead wrong. You can't say that Kyle is a better coach than John Harbaugh because he lost 2 Super Bowls recently and John won his more than a decade ago. That's a ridiculous comparison and you have a tendency to do that just to protect your boy Kyle.

Kyle has lost this team. Your dynasty run is over. The end result was 2 SB losses and 2 NFCC losses. 3 of those 4 games should have been won because the team was up double digits. You don't want accept it because you assume that Kyle will eventually win one because of luck OR you're convinced the next coach will bring us back to the early 00s. The irony of your previous joke about hiring Pederson is that he replaced Andy Reid and won a SB. Who woulda thunk ?

I never said so and so was a better HC. I'm point out how ridiculous your people are.

If Harbs/tomlin hadn't won a SB in over 12-16 years here, we would be listening to DrEll and your goof troop whining about firing John/Tomlin all the same.

you can't pretend that you wouldn't or there isn't comparable…it's the truth and how points out how s**tty your debate is. You can't even admit that you would fire those guys who haven't done s**t in over a decade!

you can't handle when someone exposes your weak ass rebate. Based on what you're crying about yeah Peterson would make you happy.

my dynasty run? At this point I don't even think you're a fan of this team…I think others have pointed out that you might not be a 49ers fan and are just trolling this forum. I think it's petty clear the more you talk that's actually what is going on here.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 23, 2024 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by HONEYBADGER:
Not winning a SB with the lineup he was given is worth a firing.

Having a losing record with that line up demands a firing.

why hasn't John Harbs been fired? Great roster for the past decade. 2x MVP QB and can't even make it to a SB with him. Tomlin should have been fired a long time ago according to this dumb take.

I wish folks would stop saying fired and start saying criticized/questioned which is what is really happening.

The problem is when the criticizing/questioning is done without context. John Harbaugh and Tomlin are brought up because it's context - guys who haven't even been to a SB since before Kyle was a HC, yet nobody is holding their feet to the fire because they're "winners" based one game from 12 and 16 years ago, respectively. They aren't as good of winners as Kyle has been in a decade, yet Kyle is a "loser"? That doesn't hash out.

49er fans have no patience. Nobody likes a down season, but things don't always turn on a dime. Kyle deserves a little time to see if he can both right this season, and if that doesn't quite work he also deserved time to see if they can reshape the team for 2025-2026. Don't fall into the trap of the Eagles ditching Reid, or the Browns ditching Belichick - or the 49ers ditching Jim Harbaugh. One should have to see sustained failure for a much longer time than a few weeks to make that move, especially after three years of sustained success. And yes, the last three years WERE sustained success in HC terms even I they didn't end with a SB win. There's degrees of success, and while not the pinnacle, the last three years were damn good ones overall.

I understand your point and tend to agree for the most part. But for me it's not a patience thing anymore…. I'm starting to believe we won't have another shot at winning it all under Kyle. Not all of it is his fault, some of it is.

im starting to believe his scheme is what makes us successful against good teams, but also what keeps us from being able to beat great teams. I also think a few of his philosophies are limiting factor, like the little interest in special teams and low emphasis on offensive line. The stats say he's unable to win gritty games consistently… I believe this has as much to do with his priorities in talent-acquisition as it does his scheme.

i won't go so far as to call for him to be fired anymore. My impatience has turned to indifference. He's shown zero interest in adjusting his philosophies… what we've done is what we'll continue to do… be a playoff-caliber team that can't compete with certain defensive schemes and won't tend to win the gritty games. The ball bounces against more often than it doesn't… on this large of a timeline the bad bounces of the game aren't the result of bad luck.

This is fair criticism.

I was thinking I do not see the point in constantly comparing one coach to another, but we have 8 years of data on Kyle. Has he improved himself? I think yes and no. So many areas of discussion with a HC its hard to even put it all together, but you made some great points. I think a lot can be attributed to the coaching turnover, but nobody cares, he has to keep finding good ones.

You make a great point… the coaching turnover has to be difficult to overcome.
Why isn't Kyle running more motion and pick plays and other routes to get the WRs on the move against man. We clearly can't shake the coverage when they just line up and press us? I don't get it.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DrEll:

I never said so and so was a better HC. I'm point out how ridiculous your people are.

If Kyle hadn't won a SB in over 12 years here, we would be listening to DrEll and your goof troop whining about firing John/Tomlin all the same.

you can't pretend that you wouldn't or there isn't comparable…it's the truth and how points out how s**tty your debate is. You can't even admit that you would fire those guys who haven't done s**t in over a decade!

you can't handle when someone exposes your weak ass rebate. Based on what you're crying about yeah Peterson would make you happy.

my dynasty run? At this point I don't even think you're a fan of this team…I think others have pointed out that you might not be a 49ers fan and are just trolling this forum. I think it's petty clear the more you talk that's actually what is going on here.

Yah he's just here to talk bad about the 9ers, I've never seen anything from him praising this team for little things. No doubt he's trolling this forum.
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:
Why isn't Kyle running more motion and pick plays and other routes to get the WRs on the move against man. We clearly can't shake the coverage when they just line up and press us? I don't get it.

his GIMMICK offense has been figured out.. .been telling you all that for the past 6 years...
Based of your expectations. The ONLY HC anyone should be happy with is Andy AND he would have to have Mahomes attached to him.

he's the only one winning super bowls.
Originally posted by 9moon:
his GIMMICK offense has been figured out.. .been telling you all that for the past 6 years...

You mean the offense that half the league runs? Currently the 10th overall offense according to DVOA. Brock and Kyle have avg more PPG thru their 1st 25 games, than any HC/QB I history 🤣 yeah okay dude.

acting like having a offense who's philosophy is rooted in the WC system using PA and the OZ. Yeah that's never worked lol
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 23, 2024 at 8:59 AM ]
Originally posted by MBNINER90266:

His "gimmick" offense has been copied all around the league. It's not a gimmick offense anymore than the T formation was. It's just a way to attack defenses. Now that defenses have seemingly found a way to slow it down they will need to find some new wrinkles. Maybe getting CMC back will be all they need.
Tomlin and Harbaugh won SBs AND their egos aren't too big to tell media members it's all on them. Kyles ego wont allow him to do that. It's a maturity issue. He's not a leader and that might be what I hate the most

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:
Tomlin and Harbaugh won SBs AND their egos aren't too big to tell media members it's all on them. Kyles ego wont allow him to do that. It's a maturity issue. He's not a leader and that might be what I hate the most

49ers had a leader in Mike Singletary how'd that work out?
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Mike Singletary doesn't make it okay for Kyle to have the mentality of a child

How do you explain top 10 offense in points every year including this year.

Or

How do you explain top 5 offense in yards every year including this year.

Yes that's what I don't like about him as well...I think his next gig may get him that superbowl if he learns humility. As I always say it's like he's playing Madden. When he learns to work with the talent he has and change his schemes he will win one. Just don't know if that's with us. I don't want to rebuild, it sucks but I think that's what we may have to do.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

looking back i say it was worth it. davis thought he could just do things that cost the team, then come off the field like it's nonchalant. no. he was from the Old School.
Share 49ersWebzone