There are 272 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
His "gimmick" offense has been copied all around the league. It's not a gimmick offense anymore than the T formation was. It's just a way to attack defenses. Now that defenses have seemingly found a way to slow it down they will need to find some new wrinkles. Maybe getting CMC back will be all they need.

And he's constantly been changing the scheme around…some people just don't know what they're talking about or they don't listen to people that do.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I believe he is trying to make adjustments now. Drop back game and going deep with it etc, but the o line sucks and our skill players just appear to not be great at beating man coverage on the regular. Also once the chiefs showed how the first half vs second half went in the SB I assumed everyone would try that as well.... so why hasn't he invested more in to the line? Now its biting him in the ass. I do believe Feliciano at center would be a HUGE upgrade and make a cascading difference across the offense, but will they do it?

This read as contradicting to me. You tell someone who cares what a coach did 10 years ago vs what has he done now, but also tell them to be patient with Kyle after 8 years as well and if we fire him we go back to Tomsula etc.

Tomlin hasn't won anything in over 16 yrs. Hasn't even been to a SB 14 yrs. That's with a first ballot HOF QB for most of it.

John hasn't been to a SB 12 yrs. That's with a 2x MVP at QB.

Every single "fan" that's currently crying about Kyle would be running around with pitchforks trying to fire those guys…based off what they're talking about right now. Winning a SB 12-16 yrs ago doesn't mean s**t right now. Who cares.

Kyle JUST went to a SB for god sake. HC's don't get fired for going to 2 NFCCs and 2 SBs in 5 yrs. Doesn't happen.

The overall possibility that they hire the next Tomsula or Chip Kelly vs Andy Ried is MUCH higher….go look at the league and the turnover. Go look at the past HCs here. Ya'll want some Bill Walsh lotto ticket. That was over 30 yrs ago. Get over it.

I would guess those fanbases have fans who want them gone as well. I think its just natural to have detractors with any coach regardless of situation etc.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
I understand your point and tend to agree for the most part. But for me it's not a patience thing anymore…. I'm starting to believe we won't have another shot at winning it all under Kyle. Not all of it is his fault, some of it is.

im starting to believe his scheme is what makes us successful against good teams, but also what keeps us from being able to beat great teams. I also think a few of his philosophies are limiting factor, like the little interest in special teams and low emphasis on offensive line. The stats say he's unable to win gritty games consistently… I believe this has as much to do with his priorities in talent-acquisition as it does his scheme.

i won't go so far as to call for him to be fired anymore. My impatience has turned to indifference. He's shown zero interest in adjusting his philosophies… what we've done is what we'll continue to do… be a playoff-caliber team that can't compete with certain defensive schemes and won't tend to win the gritty games. The ball bounces against more often than it doesn't… on this large of a timeline the bad bounces of the game aren't the result of bad luck.

This is a very good, fair post - especially the bold & underlined. Not winning on ST (or at least being equal to your opponent) and not winning in the trenches on the OL vs. good teams has been a huge part in keeping this team from reaching its max potential and winning a SB under Shanahan. Will this team do what it takes to improve in these two key areas going forward by adding better talent and coaching?

I hope philosophies do change in these areas under Shanahan as we continue through Year 8 with him as HC. It's just too important when you're trying to beat quality teams and get over the hump in the playoffs. The old saying, "the game is won in the trenches," is so true - it allows teams to do what they want to do on both sides of the ball. And, ST is a big 3rd phase of the game - seems even bigger in today's NFL where there seems to be more parity than ever.

Though I feel very fortunate, I'm far from satisfied seeing all 5 SB wins...I want more like every fellow Niners fan. Can Shanahan (and Lynch) do what it takes to get this team #6?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Yah he's just here to talk bad about the 9ers, I've never seen anything from him praising this team for little things. No doubt he's trolling this forum.

I'm telling ya…there's freudian slips in their posts all the time. Not a fan of the 49ers.

Originally posted by DrEll:
Nah you're dead wrong. You can't say that Kyle is a better coach than John Harbaugh because he lost 2 Super Bowls recently and John won his more than a decade ago. That's a ridiculous comparison and you have a tendency to do that just to protect your boy Kyle.

Kyle has lost this team. Your dynasty run is over. The end result was 2 SB losses and 2 NFCC losses. 3 of those 4 games should have been won because the team was up double digits. You don't want accept it because you assume that Kyle will eventually win one because of luck OR you're convinced the next coach will bring us back to the early 00s. The irony of your previous joke about hiring Pederson is that he replaced Andy Reid and won a SB. Who woulda thunk ?

If the dynasty, as you put it, is over will you stop posting if they make the playoffs again?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by miked1978:

Nah you're dead wrong. You can't say that Kyle is a better coach than John Harbaugh because he lost 2 Super Bowls recently and John won his more than a decade ago. That's a ridiculous comparison and you have a tendency to do that just to protect your boy Kyle.

Kyle has lost this team. Your dynasty run is over. The end result was 2 SB losses and 2 NFCC losses. 3 of those 4 games should have been won because the team was up double digits. You don't want accept it because you assume that Kyle will eventually win one because of luck OR you're convinced the next coach will bring us back to the early 00s. The irony of your previous joke about hiring Pederson is that he replaced Andy Reid and won a SB. Who woulda thunk ?

If the dynasty, as you put it, is over will you stop posting if they make the playoffs again?

No he won't he'll just switch to his other username.

Question, just curious here. How long should a head coach be given before he is fired? Also, how long between Super Bowl wins should a head coach have before he gets fired?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I believe he is trying to make adjustments now. Drop back game and going deep with it etc, but the o line sucks and our skill players just appear to not be great at beating man coverage on the regular. Also once the chiefs showed how the first half vs second half went in the SB I assumed everyone would try that as well.... so why hasn't he invested more in to the line? Now its biting him in the ass. I do believe Feliciano at center would be a HUGE upgrade and make a cascading difference across the offense, but will they do it?

This read as contradicting to me. You tell someone who cares what a coach did 10 years ago vs what has he done now, but also tell them to be patient with Kyle after 8 years as well and if we fire him we go back to Tomsula etc.

Tomlin hasn't won anything in over 16 yrs. Hasn't even been to a SB 14 yrs. That's with a first ballot HOF QB for most of it.

John hasn't been to a SB 12 yrs. That's with a 2x MVP at QB.

Every single "fan" that's currently crying about Kyle would be running around with pitchforks trying to fire those guys…based off what they're talking about right now. Winning a SB 12-16 yrs ago doesn't mean s**t right now. Who cares.

Kyle JUST went to a SB for god sake. HC's don't get fired for going to 2 NFCCs and 2 SBs in 5 yrs. Doesn't happen.

The overall possibility that they hire the next Tomsula or Chip Kelly vs Andy Ried is MUCH higher….go look at the league and the turnover. Go look at the past HCs here. Ya'll want some Bill Walsh lotto ticket. That was over 30 yrs ago. Get over it.

I would guess those fanbases have fans who want them gone as well. I think its just natural to have detractors with any coach regardless of situation etc.

NY you maybe correct...I wanted Bill Walsh gone after the fizzle in the drizzle against the Vikings in the divisional round back in 87. I was wrong obviously...This time I hope I'm wrong about Kyle, I don't see that though. Walsh already had won two.

Maybe next year if we draft well fix the o line and he changes how he plays against man coverag. Which is why Zone disguised D formations are confusing both Shanahan and Purdy.

Their still my team so love em no matter what
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Shanahan like all HC's in the NFL needs a damn good DC to back him up, Nick Sorensen just isn't that guy.
Shanahan like all HC's in the NFL needs a damn good DC to back him up, Nick Sorensen just isn't that guy.

This!!

Originally posted by bassmanr:

This!!

Shanny had good DC hires, in Saleh and Ryans. I think Wilks was gonna be good, and indeed we were 3rd in ppg, but Kyle handcuffed Wilks and said you can't run your blitz heavy stuff, you have to run our stuff. so kyle set us up for a stale D that doesn't innovate, he's too controlling on that side of the ball and it is costing us right now.
What are the chances of Shanahan making coaching changes during the bye week?
So this is on Kyle, maybe Brock should have audibled.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by bassmanr:

This!!

Shanny had good DC hires, in Saleh and Ryans. I think Wilks was gonna be good, and indeed we were 3rd in ppg, but Kyle handcuffed Wilks and said you can't run your blitz heavy stuff, you have to run our stuff. so kyle set us up for a stale D that doesn't innovate, he's too controlling on that side of the ball and it is costing us right now.

I think Shanahan has a lot of input on the defensive side of the ball because he sees the holes. After all wouldn't you have been pissed off at your DC calling a Cover 0 and they give up a huge TD. Granted that call could've gone either way cause Ward did have good coverage on Addison, but it didn't. So most likely if Wilks took the conservative approach at that time chances are the defense would've held up.

Shanahan did try and get Spags and Belichick to run the defense. I don't think and IMO that shows he wants someone he can leave the defense totally in the DC's hands instead of watching over their shoulders.
Share 49ersWebzone