There are 331 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Why does Shanahan get so Conservative with a lead? It's definitely something he has always struggled with. He definitely hasn't learned from his mistakes.You would think the fresh loses from the Cardinals and Rams would make him more Aggressive. The team would score 100 points a game if he played every quarter like last night's 3rd quarter.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by captveg:
The 49ers came out flat and were losing at halftime. Then Kyle Shanahan made the right halftime adjustments and the 49ers reeled off 24 unanswered points. That was Good Kyle. Then the 49ers almost gave away a 17-point fourth-quarter lead. That was Bad Kyle. With 3:25 left and the 49ers leading by just 6 points, the offense faced 2nd and 3, and for some strange reason, Shanahan called a pass. No one blocked DeMarvion Overshown who blindsided Purdy and sacked him. The 49ers are extremely lucky that Purdy didn't fumble. There was absolutely no reason to pass in that situation. Which means Kyle almost Kyled. You know exactly what I mean. Fortunately for the 49ers, Dak Dak'd harder than Kyle ever could Kyle.
I know who I citing. Still, I am getting tired by this BS Kyle is pulling off again and again.
His arrogance will kick him out of this job in the next two years if he doesn't start learning from these mistakes.

Shanahan confirmed that Purdy audibled "can" to a pass on that 2nd and 3 sack. Had Ricky wide open for a huge gain if Guerendo makes his block. That's where CMC is really missed.
i thought that there aren't any audibles?

Only those that don't understand the offense think that. Or their definition of "audibles" is completely off.
Again I see the contradictory complaints of Shanahan being too conservative while complaining about passing too much. Such a bizarre pattern.
Again I see the contradictory complaints of Shanahan being too conservative while complaining about passing too much. Such a bizarre pattern.

We have special fans
We have bad juju with the offense stalling late in games with the worst timed 3 and outs, and then the defense just looks lost on a couple drives. They need to be more consistent for sure.

TBH what Dallas did was a blessing. Kyle needs to refresh this offense on how to handle blitzes. Brock has gotten better at it, but still forgets about it from time to time. I really hope they try Feliciano at center or even LG at this point. Banks has looked bad.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Yes Jimmy needed to push back against Kyle. He finally did and played the best ball of his career. Did you honestly forget that?

Purdy has more talent in one foot than Jimmy ever did, so sky's the limit for him. Same concept still applies though.

Mahomes and Kelce weren't HOF'ers until they became HOF'ers together by doing exactly what I'm describing. Lol.

What exactly are you defending anyway? Kyle choking with a lead? Turning his QB's into robots and coaching out any creativity that they have?

His best ball was in 2017. In 2022 he had a great half against the Rams and a great game vs Arizona. Was same ol Jimmy the other games. Brick comes in and the team instantly becomes a contender. Why? Because he hit the plays ther were there far more consistently and made a few plays with his legs.

Brock isn't being coached out of his creativity. He shows it every week. The problem is he's doing too much of it. He even admitted after the game he was missing open guys.

Brock isn't the talent Mahomes is. He can't be off scripting to the degree they do. If anything he needs to throw it away more and check down more. Live to fight another down.

We can quibble about 2017 vs 2022 but either way it proves my point. Playing the QB position like a robot or "extension of the coach" is not a championship winning formula. It does win most games though so I guess if you're okay with always falling short.

Maybe creativity is the wrong word, and I'm not sure what the right word is. Maybe it's defiance. Pushback. It's clear that Kyle prefers to dominate his QB's and coaches that out of his QB's. Again I'm not saying I want someone like Rodgers who goes too far as well, a balance is necessary.

Bottom line Kyle chokes with a lead. If Purdy is going to be "the guy" then he can't just go down with the ship like a good sailor. He's going to have to do something to save Kyle from himself.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
The 49ers came out flat and were losing at halftime. Then Kyle Shanahan made the right halftime adjustments and the 49ers reeled off 24 unanswered points. That was Good Kyle. Then the 49ers almost gave away a 17-point fourth-quarter lead. That was Bad Kyle. With 3:25 left and the 49ers leading by just 6 points, the offense faced 2nd and 3, and for some strange reason, Shanahan called a pass. No one blocked DeMarvion Overshown who blindsided Purdy and sacked him. The 49ers are extremely lucky that Purdy didn't fumble. There was absolutely no reason to pass in that situation. Which means Kyle almost Kyled. You know exactly what I mean. Fortunately for the 49ers, Dak Dak'd harder than Kyle ever could Kyle.
I know who I citing. Still, I am getting tired by this BS Kyle is pulling off again and again.
His arrogance will kick him out of this job in the next two years if he doesn't start learning from these mistakes.

Shanahan confirmed that Purdy audibled "can" to a pass on that 2nd and 3 sack. Had Ricky wide open for a huge gain if Guerendo makes his block. That's where CMC is really missed.
i thought that there aren't any audibles?

Only those that don't understand the offense think that. Or their definition of "audibles" is completely off.

Having a pre-planned option to a specific pass play is pretty liberal use of "audible." Plus as far as me I'm referring to plays like Mahomes and Kelce make by completely changing plays/routes before the snap based on the defensive alignment and situation.

Sometimes the play call is simply wrong for whatever defense is called. And no there's not "always a built in answer." That's Purdy repeating Kyle's words.
Time management and critical game management isn't his strong suit. He's probably bottom 10 in the nfl in that department. This is why he'll never win a SB
Yes Jimmy needed to push back against Kyle. He finally did and played the best ball of his career. Did you honestly forget that?

Purdy has more talent in one foot than Jimmy ever did, so sky's the limit for him. Same concept still applies though.

Mahomes and Kelce weren't HOF'ers until they became HOF'ers together by doing exactly what I'm describing. Lol.

What exactly are you defending anyway? Kyle choking with a lead? Turning his QB's into robots and coaching out any creativity that they have?

His best ball was in 2017. In 2022 he had a great half against the Rams and a great game vs Arizona. Was same ol Jimmy the other games. Brick comes in and the team instantly becomes a contender. Why? Because he hit the plays ther were there far more consistently and made a few plays with his legs.

Brock isn't being coached out of his creativity. He shows it every week. The problem is he's doing too much of it. He even admitted after the game he was missing open guys.

Brock isn't the talent Mahomes is. He can't be off scripting to the degree they do. If anything he needs to throw it away more and check down more. Live to fight another down.

We can quibble about 2017 vs 2022 but either way it proves my point. Playing the QB position like a robot or "extension of the coach" is not a championship winning formula. It does win most games though so I guess if you're okay with always falling short.

Maybe creativity is the wrong word, and I'm not sure what the right word is. Maybe it's defiance. Pushback. It's clear that Kyle prefers to dominate his QB's and coaches that out of his QB's. Again I'm not saying I want someone like Rodgers who goes too far as well, a balance is necessary.

Bottom line Kyle chokes with a lead. If Purdy is going to be "the guy" then he can't just go down with the ship like a good sailor. He's going to have to do something to save Kyle from himself.

I'm old enough to remember when the QB actually called the game. I believe Bradshaw was the last or one of the last to do that. I'm not talking about audibles. I'm talking about actual play calling for the entire game. Football has changed a lot with new rules and bigger players but that's probably the biggest change we've seen in the modern era.
I'm sick AND TIRED of Shannys point shaving prevent defense and brain dead play calling when the niners have the lead.

He hasn't learned how to kill clock AT ALL.

Prevent is just telling the teams to go ahead and score the way this team does it.

It's horrid.

17 point leads just GONE!

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I'm sick AND TIRED of Shannys point shaving prevent defense and brain dead play calling when the niners have the lead.

Prevent is just telling the teams to go ahead and score the way this team does it.

It's horrid.

Kyle's prevent D?
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

It's horrid.

Kyle isn't the DC so that's not on him. I agree that he can get conservative with the play calling when he gets leads.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I'm old enough to remember when the QB actually called the game. I believe Bradshaw was the last or one of the last to do that. I'm not talking about audibles. I'm talking about actual play calling for the entire game. Football has changed a lot with new rules and bigger players but that's probably the biggest change we've seen in the modern era.

This idea has been floating in my head a while. Interesting to see that I'm not the only one who suspects that it seems like Brock is playing with more "pressure" than last year.
jimmy does come to mind as well, just because i remember jimmy being more "creative" and just overall better his first 5 games with us.
then again, maybe it was the injury that changed him or his trust in the oline that made him have happy feet all the time.
Purdy has had his top 2 RBs out all year and his top 3 WRs in/out all year. Seeing some problems with the chemistry between Purdy and the younger guys at RB/WR is not all that shocking, IMO.
Purdy has had his top 2 RBs out all year and his top 3 WRs in/out all year. Seeing some problems with the chemistry between Purdy and the younger guys at RB/WR is not all that shocking, IMO.

I'm pretty sure Mason was ahead of Mitchell
Share 49ersWebzone