LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 229 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Why is thid thread only 58 pages, and the Lynch thread 318?

I was thinking the same.

Because our HC looks like a freakn intern. It's only when his offense drops 21 at the half on the Pats that people take him seriously.
If you saw the interview on the previous page you would that John Lunch is a interview hog and talks non stop so he eats up more pages.
Originally posted by jcs:
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-francisco-49ers-coach-kyle-shanahan-weird-pregame-routine-stands-on-head-030517

Among the details we get are a look at his, uh, pretty weird pregame routine:

The process starts with a self-deprecating text to his wife. A typical message: "Things are about to get weird."

First, Shanahan must find a solitary place to examine his game plan, which can be challenging on the road. Shanahan has studied X's-and-O's in janitors' closets and shower stalls, while using a bench, box or Gatorade cooler as a desk. During his quiet time, he must have four red pens and just-the-right temperature coffee. Then, before he goes onto the field, he holds a good-luck charm his son, Carter, gives him during the week and looks at a picture of his three children. His grand finale? The yoga advocate stands on his head for 45 seconds in the locker room to clear his mind and reduce stress.

With that level of OCD, you know he's gotta be good.

Did you forget the freak out when Lynch was hired?

Because everyone and their mother knew we were hiring Shanahan by the time it became official. So once it was official, the reaction was minimal.

The Lynch hiring, which was a little over a week before, blew up the internet. It took so many pages for the reactions (including my own) to finally die down a bit.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/san-francisco-49ers-coach-kyle-shanahan-weird-pregame-routine-stands-on-head-030517

Among the details we get are a look at his, uh, pretty weird pregame routine:

The process starts with a self-deprecating text to his wife. A typical message: "Things are about to get weird."

First, Shanahan must find a solitary place to examine his game plan, which can be challenging on the road. Shanahan has studied X's-and-O's in janitors' closets and shower stalls, while using a bench, box or Gatorade cooler as a desk. During his quiet time, he must have four red pens and just-the-right temperature coffee. Then, before he goes onto the field, he holds a good-luck charm his son, Carter, gives him during the week and looks at a picture of his three children. His grand finale? The yoga advocate stands on his head for 45 seconds in the locker room to clear his mind and reduce stress.

SF Chronicle, Eric Branch's write up was really depressing but very enlightening. It got deep and took a behind the scenes look on what the Shanahan's went through after the game. After reading it, I was even more pumped that Shanahan was our HC/OC. I'm glad our HC experienced his Superbowl loss heartbreak with another team. Our offense will be unstoppable when Shanahan gets his players and they grasp his offense. We gotta have patience and trust the process this time around.
Why is this thread only 58 pages, and the Lynch thread 318?

Lynch was hired first.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

I think it's because everyone here in a way trusts Kyle but Lynch is the wild card with ZERO experience outside of being a player and will be scrutinized more.
[ Edited by jcs on Mar 5, 2017 at 10:59 AM ]
Good read
http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1663-kyle-shanahan-uses-run-game-play-action-pass/

I think it's because everyone here in a way trusts Kyle but Lynch is the wild card with ZERO experience outside of being a player and will be scrutinized more.

FA&the draft. But now with the combine we should be talking RB/WR/QB drafted fits in this system. I wonder what Shannys TOP 5 at each position is on these positions and with his/Lynch's projection of round, how he favors want vs value.

I think that's a fair assessment. I was very hard on the Lynch signing at first but like anything, if you take the time to absorb the rationale behind a decision like that then things start to become a little more clear. Lynch is a good communicator, and seems to have a legitimate plan with Kyle for what they want to do. At the end of the day, thats the one thing Jed was right about. You can't put a price on the value of importance to a GM and head coach's relationship.

I like what Lynch has done thus far. He brought in a guy that has earned nothing but praise in league circles for his talent evaluation abilities in Adam Peters and I don't think the addition of Mayhew should be underscored either. Mayhew inherited a 0-16 team as a GM and understands what it takes to rebuild a bottom tier team back to legitimacy.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Mar 6, 2017 at 4:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
I think that's a fair assessment. I was very hard on the Lynch signing at first but like anything, if you take the time to absorb the rationale behind a decision like that then things start to become a little more clear. Lynch is a good communicator, and seems to have a legitimate plan with Kyle for what they want to do. At the end of the day, thats the one thing Jed was right about. You can't put a price on the value of importance to a GM and head coach's relationship.

I like what Lynch has done thus far. He brought in a guy that has earned nothing but praise in league circles for his talent evaluation abilities in Adam Peters and I don't think the addition of Mayhew should be underscored either. Mayhew inherited a 0-16 team as a GM and understands what it takes to rebuild a bottom tier team back to legitimacy.

Great post. He's basically, the President of Football Operations...in-training. And that is a very good role for him. He can continue to be the face of the franchise and learn everyone's roles while also being a GM along the process. Eventually, that will be his title, Peters will be our GM, etc.

Great post. He's basically, the President of Football Operations...in-training. And that is a very good role for him. He can continue to be the face of the franchise and learn everyone's roles while also being a GM along the process. Eventually, that will be his title, Peters will be our GM, etc.
For some time now, many of us pounded our knuckles on the table for someone that was well entrenched in league circles to be running the 49ers personnel department. That's what you get with Lynch. He will inevitably make mistakes, he's human but he has some natural intelligence about him that you love. He's an elegant speaker and he loves football. It was kinda hard to see through all of that at first when the 49ers shocked the football world with this hire.

I love the team of people that he has put around him and the fact that he has a humble ego, will allow him to thrive in his position. The future feels very bright for us. This is always the time of the offseason where fans rejoice in optimism but this time with Lynch and Kyle, something does really feel different and in a good way.

For some time now, many of us pounded our knuckles on the table for someone that was well entrenched in league circles to be running the 49ers personnel department. That's what you get with Lynch. He will inevitably make mistakes, he's human but he has some natural intelligence about him that you love. He's an elegant speaker and he loves football. It was kinda hard to see through all of that at first when the 49ers shocked the football world with this hire.

I love the team of people that he has put around him and the fact that he has a humble ego, will allow him to thrive in his position. The future feels very bright for us. This is always the time of the offseason where fans rejoice in optimism but this time with Lynch and Kyle, something does really feel different and in a good way.

Agreed. Makes this time leading to FA & draft very exciting for all of us 49ers fans

Both Lynch and Shanahan are impressive interviews and seem to have the humility that comes from knowing what you are doing. Love what's happening and hoping for the best.
Share 49ersWebzone