There are 319 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I'll wait until Kyle actually wins some games first before making any comparison to Harbaugh, tbqh.

They both reached the SB and both lost. Harbaugh had the better defense so I give the edge to Shanahan for the offense.

To be fair, even if the Falcons had won the SB, this wouldn't be the best comparison. Harbaugh was the HC, Shanahan was the OC.
I'll wait until Kyle actually wins some games first before making any comparison to Harbaugh, tbqh.

As i mentioned, Ensat, "A ball hasn't been snapped in anger yet". That is, we don't know...YET. But no one could say all that has happened in just a brief period of time, that the signs all indicate monster departure from last 17 yrs. And let's not forget, that in addition to the two incredible quality hires at HC and GM, the bigger or just as important deal is that Jed and paraag are no longer numero uno, and at worst, pulling all the wrong strings. That is the true marker of why we are going back to the world of real NFL football. How odd that it would take Shanny's son. Joss. Just really good joss. It took 17 yrs but finally the yorks did the right thing and put this in the hands of real football guys. Amazing they happened to pick two of the very best, and one had no track record at all. But man what a great pick. Someday i would love to read the backstory to exactly who and why this finally happened at long last.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

They both reached the SB and both lost. Harbaugh had the better defense so I give the edge to Shanahan for the offense.

To be fair, even if the Falcons had won the SB, this wouldn't be the best comparison. Harbaugh was the HC, Shanahan was the OC.

True, but Shanahan will be the OC for the niners and Harbaugh was supposedly the offensive brain behind the niners. Even if they were both HCs it would be impossible to make a fair comparison as all comparisons are when there are so many variables. Harbaugh was an excellent motivator and that's yet to be seen of Shanahan.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

True, but Shanahan will be the OC for the niners and Harbaugh was supposedly the offensive brain behind the niners. Even if they were both HCs it would be impossible to make a fair comparison as all comparisons are when there are so many variables. Harbaugh was an excellent motivator and that's yet to be seen of Shanahan.

Agreed dtg, but as we all saw and know, being a rah rah guy, or motivator just goes so far. Shortly you run into problems with NO O ideas, no player development, lousy talent picks, and no real thots other than the immediate present. John Harbaugh got the football brains in the family, from their dad. Jim somehow got short shrift. He also is missing the maturity gene that John got. And that is why in head to head matchups, there was such a huge difference...right there, out in the open for all to see. One plainly outcoached the other.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Agreed dtg, but as we all saw and know, being a rah rah guy, or motivator just goes so far. Shortly you run into problems with NO O ideas, no player development, lousy talent picks, and no real thots other than the immediate present. John Harbaugh got the football brains in the family, from their dad. Jim somehow got short shrift. He also is missing the maturity gene that John got. And that is why in head to head matchups, there was such a huge difference...right there, out in the open for all to see. One plainly outcoached the other.

Jim was the better athlete and he is a hardheaded guy. He played like that and coached the same. His fights with Ditka revolved around his tendency to trust his arm and throw interceptions when a short pass would have been the better choice. Oddly, his coaching was run first, which seems antithetical for a QB. People can blame Roman all they want but every offensive play went through Harbaugh.

Being a head coach and being a coordinator are two different jobs. Everyone knows that.

Mike Nolan, Dennis Allen, Josh McDaniels, etc. All good coordinators that couldn't get it done as head coaches.

He's a good coordinator, no doubt. Now he needs to prove that he can build a team and win games. And more than likely its going to start off rough because you don't have a great QB like Matt Ryan or a great WR like Julio.

I hope to see playoff contention in year 3. If we're not there yet, I will have some serious concerns.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Mar 28, 2017 at 11:02 AM ]

Being a head coach and being a coordinator are two different jobs. Everyone knows that.

Mike Nolan, Dennis Allen, Josh McDaniels, etc.

He's a good coordinator, no doubt. Now he needs to prove that he can build a team and win games. And more than likely its going to start off rough because you don't have a great QB like Matt Ryan or a great WR like Julio.

I hope to see improvement in year 3.

I don't expect this at all. He brought in guys that had a taste of his offensive system and what he likes to do on offense before, so there's less cold water. The offense will certainly not up to par with the like of Atlanta, but I think it's going to be decent, in that there will be less stupid mistakes during the game. Will they struggle to score TD? Yeah most likely.

I don't think it will be as bad as the last 2 years. Especially the Kelly year. He didn't have much in the way of experience personnel to help support his system.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I don't expect this at all. He brought in guys that had a taste of his offensive system and what he likes to do on offense before, so there's less cold water. The offense will certainly not up to par with the like of Atlanta, but I think it's going to be decent, in that there will be less stupid mistakes during the game. Will they struggle to score TD? Yeah most likely.

I don't think it will be as bad as the last 2 years. Especially the Kelly year. He didn't have much in the way of experience personnel to help support his system.

Seems to me they will be organized and well trained but not a smooth offense for a while. I don't see three years unless they can't find a QB. They could build an offense and wait for Cousins to be a free agent next year, or build with Hoyer holding down the starting job until Shanahan gets a young guy up to speed.

What I don't expect is to see the fundamental breakdowns/confusion we saw last year or the year before, where you couldn't quite figure out which direction they were headed (largely the QBs fault). So much depends on the QB that all else will fall into place once they settle on a FQB. And I believe Hoyer is the key this year as he knows the offense to a certain extent. They truly need to draft a top WR to give the QB a chance. So, Williams or Davis, plus other fill in pieces at OG and backup RB (because Hyde is unlikely to be healthy all year).

On defense I see them being more of an attack D and hopefully the DBs will understand their assignments better than during the past two years. How could they be worse? They are trying to shore up the middle but just how much do they need to do in order to secure against injury? Last year they had Williams and Bowman out which pretty much eliminated the strength in the middle. If not for Dorsey...even with Dorsey...they couldn't stop runs right up the gut. The new 4/3 should help and they have added a few pieces already.

First rounder has to b e an elite playmaker...whether a true shutdown CB or a cominant WR...it has to give the team an advantage.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I completely agree with this. This is a system and I think to a degree it will be player agnostic unless that player has elite talent. Like any WCO system, if the timing is there, the routes are run precisely and the OL run-blocks and pass-blocks well, the offense will be okay. Will it lead the NFL? Probably not, but it certainly won't be a drag on the team. Remember this offense uses the run to set up the pass so demand that the OL run-block well or this offense will struggle.

Where wins and losses come in is at defense.

Will we be able to stop anyone is the huge question - and it all comes down, for me at least, to the defensive line and their play. Can we stop the run? Can we rush the passer? Do we have a scheme that frees up Bowman to run free and make plays and not have the carry the entire front 7 on his back? Or will he just need to make a couple of key stops here and there? Will we draft a young LB who can compliment Bowman like he once complimented Willis? Secondary play will 100% depend on our ability to rush the passer. No pressure, we'll get carved up regardless of who's back there, vet or rook.

Agree with both of you all, and GM especially on the DL issue. Since 6 weeks ago we had no LBs, one would have to say we have improved. Leaning or depending on Bow is a dicey proposition, in that two major surgeries , back to back yrs....mmmm.....i just feel bad for the guy. For sure, he won't have the burst of speed he once did. Age plays a part too. Now the DL: I am assuming we get AA, DeFo, back healthy. With no NT pretty hard to run an occasional 3-4, which Mitchell takes care of. So i guess we are looking at AA, Mitchell, DeFo, Blair, Dorsey? DL, unquestionably, even tho we have picked last two times as #1 pick, has to be in the running for doing it again. And that isn't a losers deal, because we would have to settle for Solomon, great program, great coach, terrific talent. And for us he is a lock at #2.

Which brings up the option. Once Cleve shares with us their NEXT GREAT MOVE, assuming it is Watson or Myles, could easily turn right around and want our 2nd pick. That is they want the other of the two mentioned, but one still remains. Helluva fan move, in that their fans would be going bug F**K. And , i believe it could happen. Also, once they have taken their first pick to the podium, we should be in no hurry to get ours up there. Bills, Jets, both are in QB market. I'd say bears but they got nothing , or not much in trade,..one early rd 2 plus their 3rd pick in rd 3. We could do ourselves good with them too, i guess. But if we swap that #2 pick, it would have to be for their #1, plus ..,.and that is where it gets interesting. Depending on who does the picking, we should have a one best deal for our lock #2 pick Solomon.

Options include somebody who has to have that remaining QB ,whether Watson or Trubs. Somebody gets him, somebody doesen't. So that immediately puts adde pressure on interested teams to cough up the best trade deal. If someone goes crazy, ultimate is the Wentz-like six pack (2 ones, 2 twos, 2 threes). That seems unlikely

Swapping ones, getting an early rd 2 , or perhaps 2 extra in rd two, would seem like the next best bet. But if we do that, we have to be able to still draft one of Solomon, Williams, Foster, maybe Allen(altho here health bothers me, shoulders), and potentially one more sure fire starter, but really IMPACT player. My choice would be Williams...and then the additional 1 or more picks in rd 2. Best thing for us is a bidding war and some fool ending up giving us the Wentz 6 pack deal. It all depends on Cleve and exactly what they do. They have screwed up the qB pick 3 times in a row, incl last yr trading riights to Wentz for the "six pack "noted above. Could they turn around and to get Watson and Myles offer us a six pack pick? it would sure be interesting. I have vacillated back and forth on this but agree that should Cleve make this mistake, (or even take Trubs and Watson...hey it's Cleve), then we have to take it. Certainly if myles is gone, but if he still is there, 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds would have to trump any other consideration. That should be at least 5 or 6 starters, and is myles really that good? But that kind of thing happens only when two teams square off like Eagles and Rams. One did ok, one didn't ...at least not til now.

This plans to be our most interesting pick in ages, and whereas if there were no ohter side issues we take Solomon. Trading down we just have to make sure we get at least one of the 5 or 6 top tier players, ones most likely to be impact guys. Do that and whatever else falls into trader Kyle's and trader John's lap...say a minimum of 2 rd twos or two ones and two twos...i suspect that is our route. Keep at least one impact guy, and add on extra rd 2s , but try for an extra rd one also. Based on bears, jets, bills, have to have Qbs, cleve too, by our pick , things ought to be tight heinie for the above teams. As long as we take our time, no telling what falls out of the woodwork. But my bet is someone loses his "schidt" and does something really nutty. That could be 15 minutes of sheer bliss for us. And if no takers, we are "stuck" with Solomon. That is one heckuva booby prize.

It will make our DL a bit interesting, however. But Saleh, kyle and lynch can figure out how to piece that DL together so that Solomon, DeFo, AA, Mitchell, and Blair all get to play...a lot. Our biggest hole is at LB and with a bunch of picks thrown in for moving down, we would hopefully snag a very good LB, plus get another in rd two. So we are set . It is the other guys who don't have the #2 pick that aren't.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Does anyone know when we're scheduled to have OTAs? Will there be one before the draft???

Offseason workouts in roughly a week.

Yeah. That link was trash in the sense it didn't even mention new HCs are ALLOWED to start off season voluntary workouts April 3rd. I started a thread on it but still haven't found any news on when our actual off season workouts start.

I think regardless the staff will start on the 3rd and will figure out a schedule to bring out the most possible.

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Does anyone know when we're scheduled to have OTAs? Will there be one before the draft???

Yeah. That link was trash in the sense it didn't even mention new HCs are ALLOWED to start off season voluntary workouts April 3rd. I started a thread on it but still haven't found any news on when our actual off season workouts start.

I think regardless the staff will start on the 3rd and will figure out a schedule to bring out the most possible.

Did you find a better source? I would think the dates would be set up by now but haven't found them listed anywhere.

Edit: The NFL.com site has more information but still not the date for new coaches.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 28, 2017 at 3:44 PM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Did you find a better source? I would think the dates would be set up by now but haven't found them listed anywhere.

Edit: The NFL.com site has more information but still not the date for new coaches.

Some homie in the Lynch thread posted a tweet saying April 10th so I updated the off season workout thread as well.
Didn't mean any disrespect to you bae, just dunno how they didn't put one of the most important dates when people are antsy AF for football to start lol.

Kyle Shanahan digs into archives to find inspiration from Bill Walsh
Nick Wagoner
ESPN Staff Writer

PHOENIX -- Within the walls of Levi's Stadium, the San Francisco 49ers have a number of areas paying homage to their rich tradition. Most notably, there's the 49ers Museum, which is open to the public for tours on weekends.

Not all of that history is available to the public, though.

New 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan has spent much of his time since arriving in early February studying tape. Much of that study has centered on having a better understanding of the current roster, potential free-agent targets and draft prospects. But not all of it.

Shanahan, who was a 49ers ball boy as a teenager when his father, Mike, was the team's offensive coordinator, has discovered the 49ers archives, a treasure trove of behind-the-scenes video from throughout the team's history. Shanahan's favored subject matter? Old tape of former coach Bill Walsh doing everything from game plan installations to speeches to the team.

Kyle Shanahan has been studying not only Bill Walsh's West Coast offense, but his approach to coaching and motivating his players. AP Photo/Ben MargotWalsh was known for his attention to detail and propensity for recording everything. Now that's all available to Shanahan as he embarks on his first head-coaching job.

"Bill, from what I've heard, and I know my dad was the same way, they recorded everything," Shanahan said. "Every install he did and they have it on there."

Shanahan said that studying Walsh and his approach to coaching actually began even before he arrived in San Francisco. Like many coaches, he has read Walsh's books and has taken notes along the way on not just the messages Walsh delivered to his teams but how he did it.

"It's stuff I've done a lot over my lifetime," Shanahan said. "Just watching installs or speeches. How he talks to the team, things like that. How he put in an offense. [I've] been fortunate to be around situations where I could see that stuff, and it's pretty neat."

Shanahan will have his first opportunity to address his team on April 10, when the Niners begin their offseason conditioning program. Under league rules, the 49ers actually can begin on Monday because they have a new coach, but Shanahan pushed things back a week so the team could roll straight through each phase of the offseason program. The Niners will take advantage of the extra minicamp the rules allow, with that scheduled for just before the NFL draft.

In anticipation of the April 10 meeting, Shanahan has been carrying around a notebook with ideas for things he wants to say when he first addresses the team. Shanahan believes every chance to communicate with his players is valuable.

"I have thought about it a lot," Shanahan said. "I'm still thinking about it too. I think every time you talk to the team is important, especially the first time. It's stuff I work at. I have a notebook I carry around everywhere. It's not here with me, but I'm always adjusting it. It's not always just a memorized speech. It's stuff that's got to come natural.

"It's changing all the time, but I'm always soaking it in and thinking about what I want to say. What I want to say today might change by then, but you have always got an idea of what you want to do and what you want to say to the team. But it's got to come out natural and not a memorized thing, and you really just try to get up there and be myself."

Shanahan's history studying Walsh also extends to X's and O's. He runs what many consider a "modernized" version of Walsh's West Coast offense. It's a scheme derived from many of the same principles as Walsh's original concept and includes a lot of the same language, but in execution, it has evolved along with the game. So while Shanahan is studying tape of how Walsh interacted with his teams, he's not necessarily looking back at how he ran his offense.

"You don't go back and study that anymore; that's what we've done every year, building as time has gone," Shanahan said. "Bill Walsh is as good as it gets. They talk about the West Coast offense and what it is, but it's really just more terminology now. The terminology we use originated from the West Coast, so I'd say if you label us something, then maybe we are a West Coast offense, but what that is now is very vague. Everyone's offense has gone in different ways, but we do use that terminology, and [he] was definitely a pioneer of this sport."

Long before the Niners hired him, Shanahan dreamed of being a head coach. At the recent owners meetings, he told stories of sitting in draft meetings when his dad was coach of the Denver Broncos and how he knew he wanted to play and coach football for as long as possible.

Having been on the job for less than two full months, Shanahan is now just a little more than a week from his first chance to stand front and center before his team. While there undoubtedly will be hints of things he has picked up from Walsh through books, tapes and personal experiences, the biggest lesson he has learned from it all is that he still can't try too hard to be something he's not.

"I think that's what made him good -- he was himself," Shanahan said. "That was who he is, so he said a lot of smart things, and those are things you learn from. But I think it's also important to be yourself, so I've got to use my own humor, my own way, but you have to be yourself.

"All the great coaches that there's been, you take in from everybody, and it's not just coaches -- it's other speakers, it's leaders in other businesses. You're always trying to improve yourself, and you do that by watching people like that and you soak it all in. When it's all said and done, you better be who you are."
^
I hope he has this book too:

Share 49ersWebzone