LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 212 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Lobo49er:
^

f**k yeah. loving me some Shanny so far.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by boast:
^

f**k yeah. loving me some Shanny so far.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I hope he has this book too:

Been living this book his whole life. Dude was born and raised to be a WCO coach
Originally posted by NCommand:

Kyle Shanahan digs into archives to find inspiration from Bill Walsh
Nick Wagoner
ESPN Staff Writer

PHOENIX -- Within the walls of Levi's Stadium, the San Francisco 49ers have a number of areas paying homage to their rich tradition. Most notably, there's the 49ers Museum, which is open to the public for tours on weekends.

Not all of that history is available to the public, though.

New 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan has spent much of his time since arriving in early February studying tape. Much of that study has centered on having a better understanding of the current roster, potential free-agent targets and draft prospects. But not all of it.

Shanahan, who was a 49ers ball boy as a teenager when his father, Mike, was the team's offensive coordinator, has discovered the 49ers archives, a treasure trove of behind-the-scenes video from throughout the team's history. Shanahan's favored subject matter? Old tape of former coach Bill Walsh doing everything from game plan installations to speeches to the team.

Kyle Shanahan has been studying not only Bill Walsh's West Coast offense, but his approach to coaching and motivating his players. AP Photo/Ben MargotWalsh was known for his attention to detail and propensity for recording everything. Now that's all available to Shanahan as he embarks on his first head-coaching job.

"Bill, from what I've heard, and I know my dad was the same way, they recorded everything," Shanahan said. "Every install he did and they have it on there."

Shanahan said that studying Walsh and his approach to coaching actually began even before he arrived in San Francisco. Like many coaches, he has read Walsh's books and has taken notes along the way on not just the messages Walsh delivered to his teams but how he did it.

"It's stuff I've done a lot over my lifetime," Shanahan said. "Just watching installs or speeches. How he talks to the team, things like that. How he put in an offense. [I've] been fortunate to be around situations where I could see that stuff, and it's pretty neat."

Shanahan will have his first opportunity to address his team on April 10, when the Niners begin their offseason conditioning program. Under league rules, the 49ers actually can begin on Monday because they have a new coach, but Shanahan pushed things back a week so the team could roll straight through each phase of the offseason program. The Niners will take advantage of the extra minicamp the rules allow, with that scheduled for just before the NFL draft.

In anticipation of the April 10 meeting, Shanahan has been carrying around a notebook with ideas for things he wants to say when he first addresses the team. Shanahan believes every chance to communicate with his players is valuable.

"I have thought about it a lot," Shanahan said. "I'm still thinking about it too. I think every time you talk to the team is important, especially the first time. It's stuff I work at. I have a notebook I carry around everywhere. It's not here with me, but I'm always adjusting it. It's not always just a memorized speech. It's stuff that's got to come natural.

"It's changing all the time, but I'm always soaking it in and thinking about what I want to say. What I want to say today might change by then, but you have always got an idea of what you want to do and what you want to say to the team. But it's got to come out natural and not a memorized thing, and you really just try to get up there and be myself."

Shanahan's history studying Walsh also extends to X's and O's. He runs what many consider a "modernized" version of Walsh's West Coast offense. It's a scheme derived from many of the same principles as Walsh's original concept and includes a lot of the same language, but in execution, it has evolved along with the game. So while Shanahan is studying tape of how Walsh interacted with his teams, he's not necessarily looking back at how he ran his offense.

"You don't go back and study that anymore; that's what we've done every year, building as time has gone," Shanahan said. "Bill Walsh is as good as it gets. They talk about the West Coast offense and what it is, but it's really just more terminology now. The terminology we use originated from the West Coast, so I'd say if you label us something, then maybe we are a West Coast offense, but what that is now is very vague. Everyone's offense has gone in different ways, but we do use that terminology, and [he] was definitely a pioneer of this sport."

Long before the Niners hired him, Shanahan dreamed of being a head coach. At the recent owners meetings, he told stories of sitting in draft meetings when his dad was coach of the Denver Broncos and how he knew he wanted to play and coach football for as long as possible.

Having been on the job for less than two full months, Shanahan is now just a little more than a week from his first chance to stand front and center before his team. While there undoubtedly will be hints of things he has picked up from Walsh through books, tapes and personal experiences, the biggest lesson he has learned from it all is that he still can't try too hard to be something he's not.

"I think that's what made him good -- he was himself," Shanahan said. "That was who he is, so he said a lot of smart things, and those are things you learn from. But I think it's also important to be yourself, so I've got to use my own humor, my own way, but you have to be yourself.

"All the great coaches that there's been, you take in from everybody, and it's not just coaches -- it's other speakers, it's leaders in other businesses. You're always trying to improve yourself, and you do that by watching people like that and you soak it all in. When it's all said and done, you better be who you are."

NC, thanks for posting that. If one doesn't like our HC, then they would be impossible to please. Cannot imagine Chip, harbaw, tomsul, noln, sing, erickson...ever saying stuff like this. What we finally needed all along. A great OC/HC who is a grown up. Odd that he is so much younger than all these other guys...who in effect, were just treading water, holding a place for Kyle...and John. Man is it ever nice to be led by guys who love the game, are super smart, and know how to coach...and acquire talent. Look at the guys no longer here from last Dec. And most of them never caught on again. A few yes, but not many...starting wth WRs, incl QBs, and on down both lines, backs etc. We had PPP, aka pizz poor protoplasm for much of the last number of yrs. Ineffective collection of data on players, misuse of what we had both O and D, not very clever guys, (both GMs and HCs), and some strange personalities, and that would be being generous. Cripes, amazing we won anywhere near as many games as we did.

The question is just how many fans during this extended awful 17 yrs really realized it? More than anything there was a general awareness that our owners were way past the other side of substandard, starting with big john, who got a FAIL, and then his kid...and i mean kid. I forget how young but just thinking about his coaching hires gives me stomach cramps.

I think Scot and then baalke were here in part to help keep an eye on junior, and make sure he didn't do anything suicidally nutty. He did come thru and get finanacing for a stadium that kept the 9ers in close to the same zip code, but on F.O acquisitions, he got a big FAIL. Scot had talent, but also had his own problems...and eventually had to move on. Then baalke who had the outer persona of a sly, knowledgeable talent acquisition guy...when, in fact, he made buckets full of mistakes which really worsened towards the end of his last 6 yrs here....or virtually all the time he was head dog. He finally just had to go. And then paraag. No one knows for sure, but he most likely was a very large part of our horrid mismanagement....for the entire time right up unitl the hiring of Kyle and john. That apparently is fixed now too, but we need to wait and see.

Bringing in kyle and jed, both, makes me wonder if mom and pop weren't somehow involved in hiring a very expensive and very good head hunter for both slots. Either that or jed got REALLY lucky. I favor the former. Whatever , we went from stomach churning bad to incredibly well led, regardless of how few games we win this yr. Since we are missing IMPACT players most everywhere, and starters at DE/passrusher, ILBs, 2 DBs at least(and one IMPACT CB in there), NT, IMPACT Center, tho we did upgrade a ton there, IMPACT QB obviously, WRs virtually across the board(except for Kerley), and an IMPACT WR, not just a starter. Also, we need an impact OLineman, like a Ramczyk, but that would be difficult with so many other really sorely needed slots. A draft deep in RBs will help immensely, getting a co-starter with Hyde. Improved OL play should help him stay healthier, but you have to look at how much time he has lost wtih nicks, virtually every yr. That RB has to be a starter, but not an impact starter. Just a good hard working RB would be fine.

That is a huge master list to work off of, but gives one an idea of the sad state of affairs as to how far our team has actually fallen. Of all the slots, QB (not unusual) has hurt the worst as we have been leaderless on the field in what seems forever now. I'd say alex was a fairly decent leader but that is about it. The others in the last 17 yrs...not so much in leadership. One of Kyle's QB qualifications for fundamentals is LEADERSHIP. That is in additon to good reads, good progressions, loves to study, is smart, etc...the true fundamentals. But he is also looking for that guy who is a natural leader, as should be the case at Qb. There are several of those in the upcoming draft, and if a guy is strong in most other fundamentals, he has a good chance of being good in leadership also.

We say this every yr, but THIS ONE, i actually feel the wave of new leadership. It just kind of seeps into everything. I mean Sing at the microphone...ye gads, embarrassing. Or how about the man child, harbs? That Schtick eventually wore off and it seemed like early in yr 1. HIs immaturity damn near assured us not winning a SB. Great organizer of talent already here, but a zero for development, and same goes for a FAIL on utilizing what ever paltry talent we had. The inmates cannot run the asylum and with harbs here, one sure got that impression. Baalke thru the yrs had organized a lot of good talent, except at QB, which he flubbed. Same for other skilled ball handlers. Pretty much zero on WRs. For two yrs we had guys out there hurt, of low talent potential, and then absence of coaching them up. Just in WRs alone, we had the trifecta of "awfulness".

So into town come two young fellows, both with football in their genes...and both ardent students of the game. These are not your standard HC nor GM. These guys are articulate, seem to be dotting the "i"s and crossing the "tees" . They seem to be young , bright, thotful, intelligent, well spoken (tomsul, anyone?) and are forging ahead as a true team of two. They are impressive young men, nobody questions that. And they already have cleared out a lot of the dead wood and upgraded in virtually all slots. Giving us multiple options at qB is extremely well done, and i feel certain whoever is the first QB pick for the 9ers will be an inspired pick. Still have a good WCO Qb who has worked under kyle before, and the Cousins thing is still out there. GM and HC aren't fixated on that , but it has been left with the door open. They are moving ahead despite what happens in WASH, not because of it.

The real proof of the pudding is just now but 3-4 weeks away, and at the very least, you would have to give these two an A+ for evaluating the talent. Really nice to have a DB starter who won a SB as one of the guys winnowing thru the talent out there. By virtue of signing Hoyer/Barkley we are set at qB this yr, a shrewd move. Now we draft BPA talent and if no moves, at least end up with the 2nd best player in the draft, Solomon. In a down QB yr, that is not a bad place to be.

All that remains now is to see how our guys wheel and deal...or stay put....or do some of both. They both are not just football talents, they both have it in their blood. We'll do fine in draft, fixing /upgrading the positions noted above. Finally an April fool's day where the joke is NOT on us. Just took 17 yrs...but finally we are there. Upward and onward from here....with the biggest hurdle finally, and at long last fixed...F.O. Two talents moved in and two "lessers" moved out, Jed and paraag are where they should be...in the deep background, making no decisions of consequence, and a pair of talented GM and HC are now finally steering the ship.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Look at the guys no longer here from last Dec. And most of them never caught on again.

I mean, just look at all these transactions so far:

Losses:
OT/G Fahn Cooper - Signed with the the Colts
WR Torrey Smith - Released
SS Antoine Bethea - Released
C Marcus Martin - Released
QB Colin Kaepernick - Released/Opted Out
QB Blaine Gabbert - Released/UFA
QB Christian Ponder - Released/UFA
QB Thad Lewis - Released/UFA
RB Shaun Draughn - Released/UFA - Signed with the Giants
RB DuJuan Harris - Released/UFA
WR Quinton Patton - Released/UFA
WR Rod Streater - Released/UFA
TE Jim Dray - Released/UFA
OG Andrew Tiller - Released/UFA
OL Andrew Gardner - Released/UFA
DT Glenn Dorsey - Released/UFA
DT Tony Jerod-Eddie - Released/UFA
LB Nick Bellore - Released/UFA
LB Michael Wilhoite - Released/UFA
LB Gerald Hodges - Released/UFA
CB Chris Davis - Released/UFA
DB Marcus Cromartie - Released/UFA
RB Shaun Draughn - Signed with the NY Giants
WR Quinton Patton - Signed with the NY Jets

LB Michael Wilhoite - Signed to a 3 year deal with Seattle

Gains/Moves:
WILL Ray-Ray Armstrong
OL Norman Price
P Brock Miller
PK Nick Rose
YWR Rashad Ross
SCB K'Waun Williams
XWR DeAndre Carter
NT/1T Earl Mitchell
NT Mike Purcell
SAM Carl Bradford
YWR Jeremy Kerley
XWR Pierre Garcon
QB Brian Hoyer
XWR Marquise Goodwin
FB Kyle Juszczyk
SAM Malcolm Smith
TE2 Logan Paulsen
PK Robbie Gould
C Jeremy Zuttah
XWR Aldrick Robinson
QB Matt Barkley
FS Don Jones II
MIKE Brock Coyle
LDE/5T Chris Jones
SAM Dekoda Watson
RB2 DuJuan Harris

To put this into perspective, here was our roster at the end of the season:

Offensive Personnel: --- 24
QB: Colin Kaepernick; Christian Ponder & Blaine Gabbert (Thad Lewis)
RB1: Raheem Mostert; (Carlos Hyde & Shaun Draughn)
RB2: DuJuan Harris
M/TE: Garrett Celek; Je'Ron Hamm & Jim Dray (Bruce Miller, Vance McDonald & Blake Bell)
X WR (LEFT): Rod Streater; DeAndre Smelter (Eric Rogers & Quinton Patton)
Y WR (SLOT): Jeremy Kerley; Aaron Burbridge (Bruce Ellington)
Z WR (RIGHT): Chris Harper; (Torrey Smith)
LOT: Joe Staley; John Theus
LG: Andrew Tiller; Andrew Gardner
C: Zane Beadles; Alex Balducci (Daniel Kilgore & Marcus Martin)
RG: Joshua Garnett
ROT: Trenton Brown

Defensive Personnel: --- 25
RDE: DeForest Bucker; Zach Moore & Tony Jerod Eddie
NT: Quinton Dial; Glenn Dorsey & Mike Purcell (Ian Williams)
LDE: Chris Jones; Ronald Blair (Arik Armstead)
WILL: Eli Harold; Tank Carradine
TED: Michael Wilhoite; Carl Bradford (Ray-Ray Armstrong)
MIKE: Gerald Hodges; Wynton McManis (Navarro Bowman, Shayne Skov & Nick Bellore)
SAM: Aaron Lynch; Ahmad Brooks
RCB: Tramaine Brock; (Jimmie Ward)
SLOT (S/CB): Keith Reaser; JaCorey Shepherd (Chris Davis & Will Redmond)
LCB: Dontae Johnson; (Rashard Robinson)
HYBRID S/ILB: Jaquiski Tartt
FS: Marcus Cromartie; Marcus Ball (Eric Reid)
SS: Antoine Bethea; Vinnie Sunseri

Special Teams: --- 3
LS: Kyle Nelson
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Bradley Pinion

To now:

Offensive Personnel: --- 32
QB: Brian Hoyer; Matt Barkley
RB1: Carlos Hyde; Raheem Mostert
RB2: DuJuan Harris; Mike Davis
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE1: Vance McDonald; Blake Bell & Je'Ron Hamm
TE2: Logan Paulsen; Garrett Celek
XWR: Pierre Garcon; Marquise Goodwin, DeAndre Carter & Chris Harper
YWR: Jeremy Kerley; Aaron Burbridge, Bruce Ellington & Rashad Ross
ZWR: Aldrick Robinson; DeAndre Smelter & Eric Rogers
LOT: Joe Staley; John Theus & Norman Price
LG: Zane Beadles
C: Jeremy Zuttah; Daniel Kilgore & Alex Balducci

Defensive Personnel: --- 34
LDE/5T: DeForest Bucker; Chris Jones & Zach Moore
NT/1T: Earl Mitchell; Quinton Dial & Mike Purcell
RDT/3T: Arik Armstead; Ronald Blair
RDE/LEO: Aaron Lynch; Tank Carradine
SAM: Eli Harold; Ahmad Brooks, Carl Bradford & Dekoda Watson
MIKE: Navarro Bowman; Brock Coyle & Shayne Skov
WILL: Malcolm Smith; Ray-Ray Armstrong & Wynton McManis
RCB: Tramaine Brock; Keith Reaser & Prince Charles Iwora
S/CB: Will Redmond; K'Waun Williams
LCB: Rashard Robinson; Dontae Johnson & JaCorey Shepherd
FS: Jimmie Ward; Don Jones II & Marcus Ball
SS: Jaquiski Tartt: Eric Reid & Vinnie Sunseri

Special Teams: --- 5
PK: Robbie Gould; Nick Rose
P: Bradley Pinion; Brock Miller
Great breakdown there NCommand! Unbelievable what Shanahan & Lynch have done in such a short time here
NC--interesting lists! Quite a bit of change already and they haven't had a camp yet! LOL!

I doubt Reid moves to SS though as he is a bit frangile in the concussion department and is a pretty good FS. People are down on him but he's been learning new defenses each of the past two years. If they can settle in and make it a bit easier for him he will be fine at FS, which would free up Ward for slot. Redmond may compete for a starting CB job with Robinson and Brock. I actually like the DBs they have--good versatility, speed, size and experience. Many were rookies or second year players last and struggled, with an easier scheme they may blossom!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Look at the guys no longer here from last Dec. And most of them never caught on again.

I mean, just look at all these transactions so far:

Losses:
OT/G Fahn Cooper - Signed with the the Colts
WR Torrey Smith - Released
SS Antoine Bethea - Released
C Marcus Martin - Released
QB Colin Kaepernick - Released/Opted Out
QB Blaine Gabbert - Released/UFA
QB Christian Ponder - Released/UFA
QB Thad Lewis - Released/UFA
RB Shaun Draughn - Released/UFA - Signed with the Giants
RB DuJuan Harris - Released/UFA
WR Quinton Patton - Released/UFA
WR Rod Streater - Released/UFA
TE Jim Dray - Released/UFA
OG Andrew Tiller - Released/UFA
OL Andrew Gardner - Released/UFA
DT Glenn Dorsey - Released/UFA
DT Tony Jerod-Eddie - Released/UFA
LB Nick Bellore - Released/UFA
LB Michael Wilhoite - Released/UFA
LB Gerald Hodges - Released/UFA
CB Chris Davis - Released/UFA
DB Marcus Cromartie - Released/UFA
RB Shaun Draughn - Signed with the NY Giants
WR Quinton Patton - Signed with the NY Jets

LB Michael Wilhoite - Signed to a 3 year deal with Seattle

Gains/Moves:
WILL Ray-Ray Armstrong
OL Norman Price
P Brock Miller
PK Nick Rose
YWR Rashad Ross
SCB K'Waun Williams
XWR DeAndre Carter
NT/1T Earl Mitchell
NT Mike Purcell
SAM Carl Bradford
YWR Jeremy Kerley
XWR Pierre Garcon
QB Brian Hoyer
XWR Marquise Goodwin
FB Kyle Juszczyk
SAM Malcolm Smith
TE2 Logan Paulsen
PK Robbie Gould
C Jeremy Zuttah
XWR Aldrick Robinson
QB Matt Barkley
FS Don Jones II
MIKE Brock Coyle
LDE/5T Chris Jones
SAM Dekoda Watson
RB2 DuJuan Harris

To put this into perspective, here was our roster at the end of the season:

Offensive Personnel: --- 24
QB: Colin Kaepernick; Christian Ponder & Blaine Gabbert (Thad Lewis)
RB1: Raheem Mostert; (Carlos Hyde & Shaun Draughn)
RB2: DuJuan Harris
M/TE: Garrett Celek; Je'Ron Hamm & Jim Dray (Bruce Miller, Vance McDonald & Blake Bell)
X WR (LEFT): Rod Streater; DeAndre Smelter (Eric Rogers & Quinton Patton)
Y WR (SLOT): Jeremy Kerley; Aaron Burbridge (Bruce Ellington)
Z WR (RIGHT): Chris Harper; (Torrey Smith)
LOT: Joe Staley; John Theus
LG: Andrew Tiller; Andrew Gardner
C: Zane Beadles; Alex Balducci (Daniel Kilgore & Marcus Martin)

Defensive Personnel: --- 25
RDE: DeForest Bucker; Zach Moore & Tony Jerod Eddie
NT: Quinton Dial; Glenn Dorsey & Mike Purcell (Ian Williams)
LDE: Chris Jones; Ronald Blair (Arik Armstead)
WILL: Eli Harold; Tank Carradine
TED: Michael Wilhoite; Carl Bradford (Ray-Ray Armstrong)
MIKE: Gerald Hodges; Wynton McManis (Navarro Bowman, Shayne Skov & Nick Bellore)
SAM: Aaron Lynch; Ahmad Brooks
RCB: Tramaine Brock; (Jimmie Ward)
SLOT (S/CB): Keith Reaser; JaCorey Shepherd (Chris Davis & Will Redmond)
LCB: Dontae Johnson; (Rashard Robinson)
HYBRID S/ILB: Jaquiski Tartt
FS: Marcus Cromartie; Marcus Ball (Eric Reid)
SS: Antoine Bethea; Vinnie Sunseri

Special Teams: --- 3
PK: Phil Dawson
P: Bradley Pinion

To now:

Offensive Personnel: --- 32
QB: Brian Hoyer; Matt Barkley
RB1: Carlos Hyde; Raheem Mostert
RB2: DuJuan Harris; Mike Davis
FB: Kyle Juszczyk
TE1: Vance McDonald; Blake Bell & Je'Ron Hamm
TE2: Logan Paulsen; Garrett Celek
XWR: Pierre Garcon; Marquise Goodwin, DeAndre Carter & Chris Harper
YWR: Jeremy Kerley; Aaron Burbridge, Bruce Ellington & Rashad Ross
ZWR: Aldrick Robinson; DeAndre Smelter & Eric Rogers
LOT: Joe Staley; John Theus & Norman Price
LG: Zane Beadles
C: Jeremy Zuttah; Daniel Kilgore & Alex Balducci

Defensive Personnel: --- 34
LDE/5T: DeForest Bucker; Chris Jones & Zach Moore
NT/1T: Earl Mitchell; Quinton Dial & Mike Purcell
RDT/3T: Arik Armstead; Ronald Blair
RDE/LEO: Aaron Lynch; Tank Carradine
SAM: Eli Harold; Ahmad Brooks, Carl Bradford & Dekoda Watson
MIKE: Navarro Bowman; Brock Coyle & Shayne Skov
WILL: Malcolm Smith; Ray-Ray Armstrong & Wynton McManis
RCB: Tramaine Brock; Keith Reaser & Prince Charles Iwora
S/CB: Will Redmond; K'Waun Williams
LCB: Rashard Robinson; Dontae Johnson & JaCorey Shepherd
FS: Jimmie Ward; Don Jones II & Marcus Ball
SS: Jaquiski Tartt: Eric Reid & Vinnie Sunseri

Special Teams: --- 5
PK: Robbie Gould; Nick Rose
P: Bradley Pinion; Brock Miller

Assuming i counted right, that is 24 cuts, and of those, 4, FOUR, found a home. FOUR! And we had those guys starting or at least playing for us. That is just awesome, as in AWFUL. Good grief, a leaderless group, wtih no talent, not being coached and nothing in the cupboard. Not only was our cupboard bare, but we had no meat and potatoes on the table either. We were, in a word...fkcued . Dutifully so. Really, wiht a bar set so low, is there any doubt we have broken out of the ranks of "inexcusable" and progressed with new blood. The stuff we jettisoned....nobody wanted. That prettty well tells it all...not only did we not have impact players, we didn't even have legit starters. And our depth? Non existent. wow, just wow.

It is now April 1st and the new era has begun. Most of the dead wood is gone, and new , much better has replaced it. For 2 months on the job...one would have to say, WELL DONE, John and Kyle. Really well done. Oh, and neither of them has come off as a horse's ass. Another huge improvement. Shoot , somebody may actually be proud of their coach and GM. And that goes back a long time.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
NC--interesting lists! Quite a bit of change already and they haven't had a camp yet! LOL!

I doubt Reid moves to SS though as he is a bit frangile in the concussion department and is a pretty good FS. People are down on him but he's been learning new defenses each of the past two years. If they can settle in and make it a bit easier for him he will be fine at FS, which would free up Ward for slot. Redmond may compete for a starting CB job with Robinson and Brock. I actually like the DBs they have--good versatility, speed, size and experience. Many were rookies or second year players last and struggled, with an easier scheme they may blossom!

Yeah, Lynch already said Ward is moving to FS so for the box S in this defense it's going to be between Tartt and Reid. My money is on Tartt for that Kam Chancellor role and Ward for the Earl Thomas role. But it's on Reid in his final year here.
Yeah, Lynch already said Ward is moving to FS so for the box S in this defense it's going to be between Tartt and Reid. My money is on Tartt for that Kam Chancellor role and Ward for the Earl Thomas role. But it's on Reid in his final year here.

That would be a good story--HS buddies starting next to each other in the NFL!

Minor correction - they said they're considering Ward at FS. Quote: "I'm not sure yet."

Hopefully we learn more in offseason workouts.

True!
Minor correction - they said they're considering Ward at FS. Quote: "I'm not sure yet."

True too but Lynch did say he envisioned him as a S...so naturally, that would be FS. And Ward was quoted as saying he's excited about it too (can't blame him).

But no question...some moving parts for sure.

Add Tim Hightower...more quality veteran depth.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 1, 2017 at 3:44 PM ]

True!

True too but he did say he envision him as a S...so naturally, that would be FS. And Ward was quoted as saying he'd excited about it too.

But no question...some moving parts for sure.

Add Tim Hightower...more quality veteran depth.

Dude really sweet post putting things in perspective for people. That is a significant overall swap of talent and we haven't even hit the draft yet... possibly make a draft day trade for an impact veteran as well(I think we'd all be excited).

Love the Hightower signing and a great handcuff to Hyde! We playing real life madden on offense this year lol. Speed/Quickness errywhere.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Apr 1, 2017 at 1:08 PM ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Great breakdown there NCommand! Unbelievable what Shanahan & Lynch have done in such a short time here

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Dude really sweet post putting things in perspective for people. That is a significant overall swap of talent and we haven't even hit the draft yet... possibly make a draft day trade for an impact veteran as well(I think we'd all be excited).

Love the Hightower signing and a great handcuff to Hyde! We playing real life madden on offense this year lol. Speed/Quickness errywhere.

Thanks boys! Yeah, loving all the veteran signings, one year prove-it deals. All smart...lay the systems down and if we find success, both players and the team will marry for another 2 years.
Originally posted by tohara3:

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Thanks boys! Yeah, loving all the veteran signings, one year prove-it deals. All smart...lay the systems down and if we find success, both players and the team will marry for another 2 years.

Use that speed for "cheese", chain-dink&dunk moving offense for all I care.... our defense with health and Shanahans play calling already improves the D.
Share 49ersWebzone