LISTEN: What Have We Learned About The 49ers? →

There are 239 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Makes one wonder just what was the one thing that pushed the JYorks over the hump to allow the FRANCHISE 49ers to return , and not just allow them, but to encourage them. There was no question that was verbotten from circa 2000 to the present hiring of Kyle and John. What was the one thing, and why...why now?

Tired of losing, tired of being the butt of jokes, tired of the negative press, tired of hurting the franchise image, or did they just get tired of trying to show Eddie they could do it differently...their way... and failing for all these yrs. They are getting older, and maybe they didn't want to go to their graves knowing they were a massive FAIL with the storied franchise that basically they were given. Lynch as head honcho was undoubtedly responsible for some of this, as their super consultant, so maybe he is the one who gets the credit...in the end, this is what they should have been doing from the gitgo, but they were just too damn bullheaded to do it.

John York seemed to make it a point to be separate, but I just think that Jed York went with the approach of whatever the GM and HC decided. Baalke and Harbaugh (and Tomsula and Kelly) weren't exactly seeking out the alumni, so Jed didn't get in their way. ShLynch are, and Jed isn't getting in their way. It's really that simple, IMO.
Makes one wonder just what was the one thing that pushed the JYorks over the hump to allow the FRANCHISE 49ers to return , and not just allow them, but to encourage them. There was no question that was verbotten from circa 2000 to the present hiring of Kyle and John. What was the one thing, and why...why now?

Tired of losing, tired of being the butt of jokes, tired of the negative press, tired of hurting the franchise image, or did they just get tired of trying to show Eddie they could do it differently...their way... and failing for all these yrs. They are getting older, and maybe they didn't want to go to their graves knowing they were a massive FAIL with the storied franchise that basically they were given. Lynch as head honcho was undoubtedly responsible for some of this, as their super consultant, so maybe he is the one who gets the credit...in the end, this is what they should have been doing from the gitgo, but they were just too damn bullheaded to do it.

When you instill a sense of insecurity in your business people don't want change or outside influences that will rock their boats. John and Jed York, along with Marathe and the rest of the brains of management were not football people. Baalke was a hard worker but not a global thinker--just a Parcells guy. So there was built in unnecessary tension between upper management, Baalke, the coaches and the alumni.

Lynch is very bright, but more importantly he has his ego well in hand. He doesn't go around worrying about his job--if they fire him he can go right back to TV. Plus, he has a long contract allowing him to think long term. They likely gave him carte blanche to make changes and keep Marathe and the rest of their owner friends out of final decisions. That's where Harbaugh ran into trouble...too many guys making decisions that impacted the team, not just dealing with Baalke, which would have been easy.

Shanahan is another guy really comfortable with his position and less manic than Harbaugh, which will help the relationship between all involved. He is also a blast from the past bringing back at least a facsimile of former offensive football.

So, how did the Yorks come to this decision? I'm tempted to use the blind pig finding an acorn analogy, but it might be a realization that they needed bright football people who could take over and do all the football stuff. No matter how bright Marathe is, he's an added value guy who has no business being among the decision makers.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 14, 2017 at 9:38 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

When you instill a sense of insecurity in your business people don't want change or outside influences that will rock their boats. John and Jed York, along with Marathe and the rest of the brains of management were not football people. Baalke was a hard worker but not a global thinker--just a Parcells guy. So there was built in unnecessary tension between upper management, Baalke, the coaches and the alumni.

Lynch is very bright, but more importantly he has his ego well in hand. He doesn't go around worrying about his job--if they fire him he can go right back to TV. Plus, he has a long contract allowing him to think long term. They likely gave him carte blanche to make changes and keep Marathe and the rest of their owner friends out of final decisions. That's where Harbaugh ran into trouble...too many guys making decisions that impacted the team, not just dealing with Baalke, which would have been easy.

Shanahan is another guy really comfortable with his position and less manic than Harbaugh, which will help the relationship between all involved. He is also a blast from the past bringing back at least a facsimile of former offensive football.

So, how did the Yorks come to this decision? I'm tempted to use the blind pig finding an acorn analogy, but it might be a realization that they needed bright football people who could take over and do all the football stuff. No matter how bright Marathe is, he's an added value guy who has no business being among the decision makers.

Maybe they got tired of the press and the fans crucifying them, and with all of them carrying the same message. Which they seem to have heeded. Have you read the story about what Denise did when she took control her hockey team? Maybe mommy finally put her foot down.
[ Edited by mojave45 on Apr 14, 2017 at 10:17 AM ]
Originally posted by mojave45:
Maybe they got tired of the press and the fans crucifying them, and with all of them carrying the same message. Which they seem to have heeded. Have you read the story about what Denise did when she took control her hockey team? Maybe mommy finally put her foot down.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! Could very well be the case.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i have this image of the walking deads last episode where the woman leader of the garbage pail kids had a gun at ricks head. i am just thinking that could be denise and jed
Originally posted by cciowa:

i have this image of the walking deads last episode where the woman leader of the garbage pail kids had a gun at ricks head. i am just thinking that could be denise and jed

When Denise finally took control of the family hockey team she pretty much kicked ass,and turned around that team and won a Stanley Cup. I see her shoe prints all over this. I think she kicked Jed boy in the ass.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
When Denise finally took control of the family hockey team she pretty much kicked ass,and turned around that team and won a Stanley Cup. I see her shoe prints all over this. I think she kicked Jed boy in the ass.

Maybe come are just better behind the scenes as compared to being front and center. like norv turner , great OC , awful head coach. unlike the past. i do not think jed has anyone playing him. the the gm and new coach are busy just doing their jobs. and i am sorry to upset anyone.. unlike JH.. we have a gm and new coach who have no egos to bruise and do not have to make themselves the story

Maybe come are just better behind the scenes as compared to being front and center. like norv turner , great OC , awful head coach. unlike the past. i do not think jed has anyone playing him. the the gm and new coach are busy just doing their jobs. and i am sorry to upset anyone.. unlike JH.. we have a gm and new coach who have no egos to bruise and do not have to make themselves the story

I think they are smart enough to realize owners don't change or get fired, coaches and GMs do.
Can't wait to see what kind of weapons we get for Shanahan in the draft next week!
We do need to welcome the Alumni. But we need to build an organization that will attract them to return to it. We need excellence and professionalism on, and off the field. We want some of the greatest NFL figures of all time to come in, hang around and associate with us? Then we need to become something they can be proud to associate with.

I think this may very well be part of it also. Turn the coin over, and on the other side, you have a parade of ER-wreck-son, noln, singleberry, harbs, Tomsul, the chipster, baalke, and now, a breath of fresh air....incompetence, doofuses, big mistakes, crappy coaches, crummy coaches, negatoid GMs, coaches with no clue, you know the rest...who the heck would really have wanted to come around and pal around with, oh say Tomsul...or...harbaw....dinglebery?...baalke?...chipster, ER-wreck-son? I mean really, til Kyle and Lynch showed up, it was embarrassing to be around our F.O. Can you imagine Joe hanging around with Tomsul? Or Jerry hanging around baalke? NaH, we had a trash F.O, no 49er great would have enjoyed hanging around those yokels. I think the level to which our team and then F.O had fallen that no self respecting 49er great wanted to be around these guys.

Then on top of that, Jed and his daddy (probably paraag, also) didn't want any of our greats hanging around our team .It was a two way losing situation.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 18, 2017 at 8:57 PM ]

Shannahan doesn't like teaching his super bowl winning offense from scratch as its pretty technical and only works when you're a master of it. Hopefully we extend Hoyer before the season starts to another 3 years. Hoyer will be around 36 by then and we can start to look for a younger vet who has been learning the offense since before.

Sadly, McDaniels laughed at York and Paraag's offer.

Why McDaniels, why?!?
[ Edited by awp8912 on Apr 28, 2017 at 9:32 PM ]
Originally posted by awp8912:
Shannahan doesn't like teaching his super bowl winning offense from scratch as its pretty technical and only works when you're a master of it. Hopefully we extend Hoyer before the season starts to another 3 years. Hoyer will be around 36 by then and we can start to look for a younger vet who has been learning the offense since before.

Should of got McDaniels.....

Tebow agrees with your post.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Tebow agrees with your post.

More playoff wins than Cousins, sadly.
Someone is bitter and/or has a hard on for McDaniels.

Some people have confidence to make tough decisions. It seems Eddie D and Denise learned this trait from their father and understand the need to evaluate and move from mistakes quickly and completely. Eddie D moving on from Joe Thomas years ago and Denise moving on from...yikes! So much!
Share 49ersWebzone