There are 176 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The difference between Bell and McDonald seems pretty obvious to me...McD isn't a natural athlete or route runner, whereas Bell has a knack for finding open area. As for being cut...either might be if they fall down the depth chart. Hamm was decent last year in his few moments, Celek has out performed the others when healthy, Paulsen was signed for a reason, Kittle drafted for a reason... ..may the best men win!

McDonald is a much better route runner than Bell. One guy was a college wide receiver, the other played quarterback most of his time in college and transitioned to tight end at the end and it shows. Bell's biggest issue is that he is still a liability as a blocker which limits his usage in most any offense. Kittle right off the bat is going to get snaps over him simply on the basis of being a quality blocker.

Paulsen is pretty much purely a blocking TE and should be the #3.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I bolded the key word there. We've seen a ton of rumors about this team over the offseason and 99% of them have been false. Not much leaking. Bell hasn't shown anything, not as a blocker nor as a receiver. I can see him being flat out cut.

The difference between Bell and McDonald seems pretty obvious to me...McD isn't a natural athlete or route runner, whereas Bell has a knack for finding open area. As for being cut...either might be if they fall down the depth chart. Hamm was decent last year in his few moments, Celek has out performed the others when healthy, Paulsen was signed for a reason, Kittle drafted for a reason... ..may the best men win!

But Bell has done absolutely nothing in two years. We've seen McDonald make plays. Bell can have a knack all he wants, I do not remember any plays made. It's like kicking out the students who has turned in some F quality work (along with some Bs and Cs sprinkled in) for the student that hasn't done a thing.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
But Bell has done absolutely nothing in two years. We've seen McDonald make plays. Bell can have a knack all he wants, I do not remember any plays made. It's like kicking out the students who has turned in some F quality work (along with some Bs and Cs sprinkled in) for the student that hasn't done a thing.

Bell struggles as a blocker. That alone makes him a marked man. I think he is a goner along with one of McDonald or Celek and McDonald is a lot more explosive as a receiver than Celek is.

Bell struggles as a blocker. That alone makes him a marked man. I think he is a goner along with one of McDonald or Celek and McDonald is a lot more explosive as a receiver than Celek is.

My money is on Celek and Bell being gone. Kittle will provide what he does right now at a fraction of the cost. McDonald will provide his share of big plays. McDonald, Kittle, and Paulsen will be as good as we've had it since 2012 with Davis and Walker.
McDonald is a much better route runner than Bell. One guy was a college wide receiver, the other played quarterback most of his time in college and transitioned to tight end at the end and it shows. Bell's biggest issue is that he is still a liability as a blocker which limits his usage in most any offense. Kittle right off the bat is going to get snaps over him simply on the basis of being a quality blocker.

Paulsen is pretty much purely a blocking TE and should be the #3.

I don't dislike McD but do like Bell's potential more. Changing positions is difficult at the NFL level so he may never make it, but the way he runs is much smoother than McD and the latter seems...clunky. That's a scientific term...
I don't dislike McD but do like Bell's potential more. Changing positions is difficult at the NFL level so he may never make it, but the way he runs is much smoother than McD and the latter seems...clunky. That's a scientific term...

The problem is that Bell is all potential. He hasn't shown anything as a blocker or as a receiver and he's at a position where they have several other options and a promising rookie that is already a more complete player.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2017 at 3:43 PM ]
The problem is that Bell is all potential. He hasn't shown anything as a blocker or as a receiver and he's at a position where they have several other options and a promising rookie that is already a more complete player.

All true. I just like the guys potential and hope he blossoms this year under Shanahan. I believe he's a smart player as well. But a rookie, FA pickup, returning starters...he has some work to do.

Edit: By the way, Shanahan did acknowledge trade talks about McDonald but nothing came of them. This makes me think they are looking for a different skill set in their TEs. An aside...I love the way Shanahan and Lynch speak openly and honestly about what's going on. Very straightforward about McDonald and that he called and received a text in return. They seem like there will be no games being played...at last!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 29, 2017 at 4:47 PM ]

He made some nice plays but didn't get much of a shot. Very rough to make that switch to TE from QB and it often takes a couple of years. As I said...he has an uphill battle.
Are we planning on running more 4 WR sets than Shan normally has?...
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

With seven TEs and twelve WRs it's anyone's guess what Kyle plans! I love the competition for depth spots on the roster. If they had been able to trade McDonald they would still have good depth with several TEs having NFL experience. Celek won the starting job last year but he might have better competition this year. Not impressed by Paulsen's stats so perhaps he will be the blocking alternative. Kittle seems like a nice pickup...but who knows? Hope so!

Sadly, Garcon is the only proven NFL caliber receiver on the team. While I like Kerley and Ellington...are they scaring anyone?

• GEEK
  • Veteran

Bell = poor jack of all trades, master of none.
Originally posted by GEEK:

This is his break out year! Starting at a stadium near you!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

With seven TEs and twelve WRs it's anyone's guess what Kyle plans! I love the competition for depth spots on the roster. If they had been able to trade McDonald they would still have good depth with several TEs having NFL experience. Celek won the starting job last year but he might have better competition this year. Not impressed by Paulsen's stats so perhaps he will be the blocking alternative. Kittle seems like a nice pickup...but who knows? Hope so!

Sadly, Garcon is the only proven NFL caliber receiver on the team. While I like Kerley and Ellington...are they scaring anyone?

I think 2/3 WR, 2/1 TE, and 1 RB sets will be the most common in our scheme. We still don't have a Julio Jones type receiver, so Shanahan is going to need to aggressively scheme guys open without any one of our players demanding a double team.

WR and LEO are probably going to be glaring needs entering the 2018 offseason.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

in the CFL, yes.

in the CFL, yes.

...LOL!
Share 49ersWebzone