There are 182 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
It's Ellington or a big body WR as the #6 WR or bust.

If a miracle happens, and Ellington stays healthy, I believe he'd be a very good 3rd receiver. He's stocky and quick (5'9" 197), with the ability to make good cuts on routes. My question would be, after health, is he mentally up to playing in the WCO? He is also capable of playing RB at times.

Edit: I believe we are all weary of his health issues and that may be enough to cut him this year. The niners really need to figure out a way to keep players as healthy as possible after the disaster of the past few years.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 8, 2017 at 12:37 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
It's Ellington or a big body WR as the #6 WR or bust.

If a miracle happens, and Ellington stays healthy, I believe he'd be a very good 3rd receiver. He's stocky and quick (5'9" 197), with the ability to make good cuts on routes. My question would be, after health, is he mentally up to playing in the WCO? He is also capable of playing RB at times.

Edit: I believe we are all weary of his health issues and that may be enough to cut him this year. The niners really need to figure out a way to keep players as healthy as possible after the disaster of the past few years.

Well when Ellington was at SC Spurrier ran a form of a WCO/pro style system. That's why Baalke liked some players from there or kicked the tires on some of them(All mid rounds plus). But Ellington making it as a #6 would be a great thing and would assure us solid depth. Even if Kerley and Taylor went down we'd have Robinson and Ellington as the slots still. If Ellington nor a big body emerge, I go with 5 WRs...don't sleep on the chance of trading for a WR still doe
I just don't see how Ellington is going to be on the team at the end of camp. After three seasons he only has 19 receptions for 215 yards and two touchdowns. He can't stay healthy. Too bad because the ability seems to be there.
Originally posted by Lurker:
I just don't see how Ellington is going to be on the team at the end of camp. After three seasons he only has 19 receptions for 215 yards and two touchdowns. He can't stay healthy. Too bad because the ability seems to be there.

I think this is why he is still here for the time being. They probably see the ability, but the glass man trait really hurts (pun intended) his chances of staying in the league.
Originally posted by Joecool:
ATL goes from 6-10 in 2014 before Kyle gets there.

8-8 in 2015 while Kyle is heavily struggling with Roddy White and Julio to buy-in.

offseason, lose Roddy White

Go 11-5:
Julio is pretty much their only receiver but he actually had a better year in 2015.
Sanu is okay but is lower level than a legit #2. His career numbers were nothing to be impressed about.
Gabriel really only showed up for 4 or 5 decent games.
Hyde > Freeman

Matt Ryan and Julio are the main players far beyond anyone on SF. Sheesh, we really need a QB and top 10 #1 WR.

+1

Dtg, just based on the last 3(?) yrs, or so it seems, I am amazed he is still in camp. Hard to believe he would be one of the final guys. Bad health seems to be like bad luck...it just follows some guys around...and Ellington has been one of those. If talent is the same as someone else, I would take the "else"
Originally posted by illinois9er:
If Ellington could stay healthy I think he might begin to scare people in the WCO but...woulda coulda shoulda! Kerley was an excellent pick up last year. Now they have picked up a bunch of unheralded WRs to compete...just as Baalke did a couple of years ago--Burbage, Smelter, etc.

Don't worry, Cousins is bringing T Pryor with him here next year

Hope you are right! I wanted Pryor so bad this year!
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
If Ellington could stay healthy I think he might begin to scare people in the WCO but...woulda coulda shoulda! Kerley was an excellent pick up last year. Now they have picked up a bunch of unheralded WRs to compete...just as Baalke did a couple of years ago--Burbage, Smelter, etc.

We could of showed him the money...seems like nobody cared to do so.
  • KPaul
  • Veteran

A lot of what Lynch and Shanahan are building on right now seem to be based on familiarity.

They have signed offensive FAs that have worked with Shanahan in the past and doubled down on rookies from the same college program.

I wouldn't put it past them to scheme up and allow the Redskins to "rent" Pryor. This allows them to freely observe the pairings chemistry. Swoop on both next year if they like what they see.
Yes, I think we will take the look of the Denver Broncos as a franchise.

Originally posted by KPaul:

A lot of what Lynch and Shanahan are building on right now seem to be based on familiarity.

They have signed offensive FAs that have worked with Shanahan in the past and doubled down on rookies from the same college program.

I wouldn't put it past them to scheme up and allow the Redskins to "rent" Pryor. This allows them to freely observe the pairings chemistry. Swoop on both next year if they like what they see.

Could definitely be interesting.. would be nuts if they both came off of great years. But I feel Foreskins would tag Pryor if he goes off.
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The arrival of Kyle Shanahan as head coach and John Lynch as general manager has come with a massive rebuild of the San Francisco 49ers' roster. In fact, of the 90 players on the team's current roster, 50 of them have been brought in since Shanahan and Lynch arrived in January.

But the makeover at Levi's Stadium has extended well beyond the composition of the roster.

As part of the process of instilling the culture Lynch and Shanahan seek and embracing the long and storied history of one of the NFL's most accomplished franchises, there have been a number of changes made to the team's locker room.

Most noticeable is the drastically altered locker assignments. Whereas players used to be assigned lockers by position group, now players of every group are sitting next to one another. It might seem like no big deal, but Shanahan views it as an important way for his team to build chemistry from the first player to the 90th.

"I want our team to be close and I don't want just groups to be close," Shanahan said. "You're with your group enough in your position meetings and usually, all day. Each position group's broken up and that gets real tight and then the sides of the ball are broken up. So I think the more you can mix up the locker room and you can have a running back next to a D-Lineman or a corner next to a center, I just think it mixes it up. It forces you to get a little bit out of your comfort zone and I think in the long run it makes your team a little closer."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0649731063848898791-4

In addition to the locker shuffle, Shanahan and Lynch have added a few more tweaks to the room. In the small hallway players enter and exit from, there's now a painted mural featuring franchise legends Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Patrick Willis, Roger Craig and Steve Young with the words "It won't be easy, but it will be worth it" underneath it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTeDSt4lXeT/
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The arrival of Kyle Shanahan as head coach and John Lynch as general manager has come with a massive rebuild of the San Francisco 49ers' roster. In fact, of the 90 players on the team's current roster, 50 of them have been brought in since Shanahan and Lynch arrived in January.

But the makeover at Levi's Stadium has extended well beyond the composition of the roster.

As part of the process of instilling the culture Lynch and Shanahan seek and embracing the long and storied history of one of the NFL's most accomplished franchises, there have been a number of changes made to the team's locker room.

Most noticeable is the drastically altered locker assignments. Whereas players used to be assigned lockers by position group, now players of every group are sitting next to one another. It might seem like no big deal, but Shanahan views it as an important way for his team to build chemistry from the first player to the 90th.

"I want our team to be close and I don't want just groups to be close," Shanahan said. "You're with your group enough in your position meetings and usually, all day. Each position group's broken up and that gets real tight and then the sides of the ball are broken up. So I think the more you can mix up the locker room and you can have a running back next to a D-Lineman or a corner next to a center, I just think it mixes it up. It forces you to get a little bit out of your comfort zone and I think in the long run it makes your team a little closer."
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0649731063848898791-4

In addition to the locker shuffle, Shanahan and Lynch have added a few more tweaks to the room. In the small hallway players enter and exit from, there's now a painted mural featuring franchise legends Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Patrick Willis, Roger Craig and Steve Young with the words "It won't be easy, but it will be worth it" underneath it.
That's a good idea. Also much better than having two separate locker rooms which was the case a few years ago.
Originally posted by KPaul:

Sounds nice, but I think the skins will tag Pryor.
Share 49ersWebzone