LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 226 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Who-is-Hayne:
Was it Walsh or Vince Lombardi that did this way back when?

It had to have been Lombardi doing it in the 50's. Walsh did it later in the 80's
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

I thought Harbs had the locker room like this.

I think he did but I'm sure he wasn't the first.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pelos21:
Can't wait to see how this offense is gonna look week 1. And also the D lol

I wouldn't expect a lot. The WCO is notorious for needing a lot of reps before it becomes effective. The new offensive talent might make a difference but I suspect it would take at least a full year for Kyle's passing offense to start to really gel and be productive.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

Sure I read that Harbs had it split into two locker rooms along the lines of offense and defense.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The arrival of Kyle Shanahan as head coach and John Lynch as general manager has come with a massive rebuild of the San Francisco 49ers' roster. In fact, of the 90 players on the team's current roster, 50 of them have been brought in since Shanahan and Lynch arrived in January.

But the makeover at Levi's Stadium has extended well beyond the composition of the roster.

As part of the process of instilling the culture Lynch and Shanahan seek and embracing the long and storied history of one of the NFL's most accomplished franchises, there have been a number of changes made to the team's locker room.

Most noticeable is the drastically altered locker assignments. Whereas players used to be assigned lockers by position group, now players of every group are sitting next to one another. It might seem like no big deal, but Shanahan views it as an important way for his team to build chemistry from the first player to the 90th.

"I want our team to be close and I don't want just groups to be close," Shanahan said. "You're with your group enough in your position meetings and usually, all day. Each position group's broken up and that gets real tight and then the sides of the ball are broken up. So I think the more you can mix up the locker room and you can have a running back next to a D-Lineman or a corner next to a center, I just think it mixes it up. It forces you to get a little bit out of your comfort zone and I think in the long run it makes your team a little closer."
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0649731063848898791-4

In addition to the locker shuffle, Shanahan and Lynch have added a few more tweaks to the room. In the small hallway players enter and exit from, there's now a painted mural featuring franchise legends Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Patrick Willis, Roger Craig and Steve Young with the words "It won't be easy, but it will be worth it" underneath it.
That's a good idea. Also much better than having two separate locker rooms which was the case a few years ago.

Somehow i didn't learn about this until well after the fact, but the mere fact that harbaw KNEW of this and still did nothing is a devastating indictment of a guy who was Peter Principled...ie promoted to a postion he was not qualified to fill. Sure one could make that case against his deathly lack of O playcalling, falling back on his time with Schembeckler in the 70s or 80s, and using that as his "Modern O"...which we all know damn well it WASN'T. But the fact he very well knew of the existence of two locker rooms and never lifted a finger to change it? Just plain old dumb ass stupidity. In the end he was exposed for what he was....able to coach a college team and incredible luck his last 3 stops before arriving here, when he inherited Luck at his last college stop. Two other good college QBs before that. But player development? QB whisperer? Those were monikers given harbaw along the way and were done so not based on fact. How a guy could have been here 4 yrs and developed nobody....that is hard to fathom. Here, he inherited a stacked team, built on one high draft position after another for 8-9 yrs as we stumble-bumbed along the way, winning less than .500. In short, harbaw was a candle that burned britely for a brief moment , faded, and then died away.

But one thing harbaw did that WAS good was that he was a good organizer, and that was his sole contribution to this team. He organized a bunch of talent like had not been done since the millennium, which was roughly 10 yrs. We stunk during that time and got great #1 and #2 picks. After 10 yrs or so, even a blind pig will find an acorn. And that was what harbaw inherited, altho, that may be a bit on the harsh side. He brot us back to respectability, for a brief 2 yrs, and then when players should have been getting better, the wheels came off. He coached the talent he had, but did not improve it per se. The "TEAM" things kyle and John have done are classic in building a franchise, building an identity, building character, building cohesiveness. We saw none of that during harbaw's time here. The mere fact that kyle is really invested in "TEAM", and pride in 49er teams now long gone...those are what build great teams, great dynasties. One doesn't shy away from achievements of times past. Only those embarrassed by their lack of success do things like that...like the present owners, for example. They knew they were making a hash of things and any remembrance of former 49er glory only made it more obvious. I guess it is the natural thing for a loser owner to do. Hide from the glory of times past. It sure doesn't work that way in NE, Dallas, Pitts. They glory in their past.

And that is what we are seeing now with the inspiration signs, the mural, the visits by former 9er favorites, and so on. In a brief 3-4 mos, kyle has showed up the harbaw yrs for what they were. A guy in way over his head, capable of taking talent and organizing it, but NOT capable of playcalling and game managing to actually WIN a SB. He got us close once, and fairly close twice more. But we never won it, with incredible talent. It was the most brutal waste of talent i can recall of being an NFL fan since the 1950s. What was missing? A brite shining star at the top, imbued wiht football wisdom and ability to develop the talent he had. It seems we are about to try this again, but this time with a true student of the game, with a kid who was brot up in the 49er mold , watching his dad and the great Bill Walsh. Kyle obviously took good notes, remembered the good stuff and eliminated the bad. When we talk about rebuild now, it means something entirely different than in the past 17 yrs. This rebuild starts with acknowledging the past, admiring it, and with the intent of reviving it. Kyle isn't after just a SB. He is after rebuilding a dynasty. Winning, but doing it repeatedly. And, winning it all.

The look, the attitude, the attn to detail, taking notes from the past, the glory days....that's what really smart leaders do...and not just in football but in business too. Hiding or downplaying the glory of days past, a la harbaw, is stupidity at its worst. And in the end, when i think of harbaw and all the talent wasted, it just makes my skin crawl. The bad joke is many , still, think of him as the guy who revived our team. Absolutlely not. He just rented talent accumulated, screwed around with it like the weak NFL coach he was, throw in a load of childishness and being a "crybaby" , and you got harbaw. How i wish he would have left a yr or two sooner. But that is all past tense now, and we have serious guys at the helm. Also, somehow, Lynch managed to negate the York influence, while still being their employee. Think on that a moment and just how difficult and clever that really was. With the yorks in the decision making process of pure football, we never were going to be a legit team again. They had to move over and let the pros do it. The hardest part was finding the right people and somehow they did. My guess is it was a professional head hunter group, but maybe it was corporate office saying, "Guys, we need to change directions. We need professional help." Enter Kyle and then by a very unusual hiring process, they hired the GM. Maybe jed had a hand in that, maybe not. Thing is it happened and finally we are on our way out of this 17 yr tunnel of darkness. Kap with all his athleticism was a one and done type of phenomenon. What he had couldn't be sustained in the NFL. Worked briefly for two seasons and then the harbaw experiment was over. At that point, so was harbaw.

Who knows exactly how this plays out and how long it takes. But look at not just the improvement, but the how of the improvement. Personally, i believe kyle is advanced way beyond his years. He is a take no prisoners type of guy. If you can't cut it, if you can't stay healthy, then gone. Cut out the dead wood, replace with better when and where you can. Build a cohesive environment, (oh say, mixing different football groups, ie CBs and RBs in the locker room), and not a divisive, 2 locker room team. What kind of idiocy does something like that? Or rather, allows it? Certainly not a HC in the Bill Walsh mode. And that is what i think of in kyle. A BW type, but early, early in his development, yet exacting in each and every thing he does. Every move....is made toward team building. I didn't catch that initially, but now, it is blatantly obvious. Anyone think that doesn't ahve a positive long term effect? Surely it does, and with his and john's attn to detail, i believe whole heartedly, the two of them are going to break their backsides to show up the Vegas line of 4.5Ws. And this business about winning only two or a small handful of games this yr, wiht a high draft pick next yr? Poppycock. Our GM and HC are out to win as many games as possible this yr, and are not remotely considering a mere 4 or 5 Ws. They are thinking way bigger. They are thinking SB in the short term ...but for the long haul.

No idea how many we win this yr, but i am absolutely positive we will be in any and all games, to the very last whistle. If we lose it will be with maximal effort and at the end of the day, all can say, "we gave it our best". It won't be the Ws this yr (altho i know for certain it won't be anywhere near Vegas predictions), it will be how we played. And in that there is no doubt....we will look like a talented well coached team, on the rise and on the way to the top. It can't be this yr with no FR QB nor #1 WR, but we are well situated to be one helluva lot better team than in the past 17 yrs. May not win as many as 2011 and 2012, but the TEAM will look better, play better. It will be professional once again. We have not looked that way since the turn of the century. It is our time again.
Originally posted by Buchy:

Sure I read that Harbs had it split into two locker rooms along the lines of offense and defense.

Hmm. I wonder if things changed during his tenure, or shortly after it. I've heard some about this "two separate locker rooms", but I wonder if it was two separate "cliques" vs. where they actually sat.

During Harb's first two seasons (at least), he had a "mixed up" locker room:

Won't you be my neighbor? Here's a glimpse at locker-room layout
Posted on May 21, 2012 by Cam Inman

"One of coach Jim Harbaugh's methods to form a family-like bond among the 49ers last year was to shuffle up the locker stalls. And for the second straight season, offensive players often are sandwiched between defensive players, or vice versa."
  • thl408

Hmm. I wonder if things changed during his tenure, or shortly after it. I've heard some about this "two separate locker rooms", but I wonder if it was two separate "cliques" vs. where they actually sat.

"One of coach Jim Harbaugh's methods to form a family-like bond among the 49ers last year was to shuffle up the locker stalls. And for the second straight season, offensive players often are sandwiched between defensive players, or vice versa."
That was when they were still playing at the Stick. Once they moved to Levi's there were two seperate locker rooms and the choice was given to each individual player where they wanted to be.

TimmyK article:
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2014/12/12/levis-part-2/
Harbaugh wanted to keep the team based in their old locker room, next to the practice field and save the Levi's locker room just for game days, to make it special.
York and Baalke wanted the team in the Levi's locker room permanently–where there's better equipment, more space–and as the 49ers figured out how to handle of this, many of the players just started going over to Levi's, anyway, because of the nicer environs.
The compromise: The 49ers decided to keep two locker rooms and the players can choose which one to dress in during the week.

That was when they were still playing at the Stick. Once they moved to Levi's there were two seperate locker rooms and the choice was given to each individual player where they wanted to be.

TimmyK article:
Harbaugh wanted to keep the team based in their old locker room, next to the practice field and save the Levi's locker room just for game days, to make it special.
York and Baalke wanted the team in the Levi's locker room permanently–where there's better equipment, more space–and as the 49ers figured out how to handle of this, many of the players just started going over to Levi's, anyway, because of the nicer environs.
The compromise: The 49ers decided to keep two locker rooms and the players can choose which one to dress in during the week.

Forgit all about that

JH is a weird dude
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

TimmyK article:

Forgit all about that

JH is a weird dude

I think his thinking is more in tune with college football.

TimmyK article:

Thanks for the clarification on this.

" The compromise: The 49ers decided to keep two locker rooms and the players can choose which one to dress in during the week."

^ This, imho, is completely absurd. Glad this is being corrected.

TimmyK article:

" The compromise: The 49ers decided to keep two locker rooms and the players can choose which one to dress in during the week."

Tomsula corrected it in 2015 when they all moved to the Levi's locker room permanently. However, I'm not sure how the players were organized within that single locker room under Tomsula or Kelly.

To me, Harbaugh allowing two locker rooms in 2014 was incredibly stupid of him, and I feel like he did it out of spite towards Baalke/York. Just because there were valid reasons to be disgruntled with Baalke/York over other matters didn't mean they were wrong about everything. The fact that a lot of players just naturally found their way to the nice new stadium facilities speaks to this.
[ Edited by captveg on May 15, 2017 at 1:04 PM ]

TimmyK article:

My recollection is that Jed wanted the team to move into the Levi facility whereas Harbaugh wanted to wait until the next off season. They were using the locker room at the training facility next to Levi Stadium for practice. It seemed to be tied up with Harbaugh not wanting to attend the Levi ribbon cutting ceremony, etc. Not a huge deal other than making public the angst between owner and HC.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on May 15, 2017 at 1:12 PM ]

TimmyK article:

That was just Harbaugh being his Harbaugh self, an old-school throwback who couldn't give a s**t about comfortable or updated locker room environment with some nice bells and whistles. Not saying it's right or wrong that's just JH. Obviously a lot of the players preferred the shiny new locker room with the bells and whistles for everything, practice and games.
Originally posted by ninerjok:

TimmyK article:

That was just Harbaugh being his Harbaugh self, an old-school throwback who couldn't give a s**t about comfortable or updated locker room environment with some nice bells and whistles. Not saying it's right or wrong that's just JH. Obviously a lot of the players preferred the shiny new locker room with the bells and whistles for everything, practice and games.

This
And I'm pretty sure, since there are only a few ways to group players in locker rooms, I would think most coaches try to group players in a way they feel create team unity.
I haven't heard any coachs say they want to alienate players from one another lol..

Some of the s**t is hilarious! Makes for great reading!

Wondering, if we group our players the way that the patriots do, will that make us successful
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Yes, I think we will take the look of the Denver Broncos as a franchise.

Well the Bronco championships under Mike Shanahan kinda looked like the 49ers of old. I think one of the differences was John could throw a little bit further than Joe.
Share 49ersWebzone