49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

But not as accurately.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
But not as accurately.

Great point. Then again, why throw deep when you can throw a three yard hitch to Rice or Taylor and they take it 99 yards to the Endzone.
Originally posted by Giedi:
But not as accurately.

Great point. Then again, why throw deep when you can throw a three yard hitch to Rice or Taylor and they take it 99 yards to the Endzone.

can't wait to see this offense in a year or 2
I hope we find another gem like Montana
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Somehow i didn't learn about this until well after the fact, but the mere fact that harbaw KNEW of this and still did nothing is a devastating indictment of a guy who was Peter Principled...ie promoted to a postion he was not qualified to fill. Sure one could make that case against his deathly lack of O playcalling, falling back on his time with Schembeckler in the 70s or 80s, and using that as his "Modern O"...which we all know damn well it WASN'T. But the fact he very well knew of the existence of two locker rooms and never lifted a finger to change it? Just plain old dumb ass stupidity. In the end he was exposed for what he was....able to coach a college team and incredible luck his last 3 stops before arriving here, when he inherited Luck at his last college stop. Two other good college QBs before that. But player development? QB whisperer? Those were monikers given harbaw along the way and were done so not based on fact. How a guy could have been here 4 yrs and developed nobody....that is hard to fathom. Here, he inherited a stacked team, built on one high draft position after another for 8-9 yrs as we stumble-bumbed along the way, winning less than .500. In short, harbaw was a candle that burned britely for a brief moment , faded, and then died away.

But one thing harbaw did that WAS good was that he was a good organizer, and that was his sole contribution to this team. He organized a bunch of talent like had not been done since the millennium, which was roughly 10 yrs. We stunk during that time and got great #1 and #2 picks. After 10 yrs or so, even a blind pig will find an acorn. And that was what harbaw inherited, altho, that may be a bit on the harsh side. He brot us back to respectability, for a brief 2 yrs, and then when players should have been getting better, the wheels came off. He coached the talent he had, but did not improve it per se. The "TEAM" things kyle and John have done are classic in building a franchise, building an identity, building character, building cohesiveness. We saw none of that during harbaw's time here. The mere fact that kyle is really invested in "TEAM", and pride in 49er teams now long gone...those are what build great teams, great dynasties. One doesn't shy away from achievements of times past. Only those embarrassed by their lack of success do things like that...like the present owners, for example. They knew they were making a hash of things and any remembrance of former 49er glory only made it more obvious. I guess it is the natural thing for a loser owner to do. Hide from the glory of times past. It sure doesn't work that way in NE, Dallas, Pitts. They glory in their past.

And that is what we are seeing now with the inspiration signs, the mural, the visits by former 9er favorites, and so on. In a brief 3-4 mos, kyle has showed up the harbaw yrs for what they were. A guy in way over his head, capable of taking talent and organizing it, but NOT capable of playcalling and game managing to actually WIN a SB. He got us close once, and fairly close twice more. But we never won it, with incredible talent. It was the most brutal waste of talent i can recall of being an NFL fan since the 1950s. What was missing? A brite shining star at the top, imbued wiht football wisdom and ability to develop the talent he had. It seems we are about to try this again, but this time with a true student of the game, with a kid who was brot up in the 49er mold , watching his dad and the great Bill Walsh. Kyle obviously took good notes, remembered the good stuff and eliminated the bad. When we talk about rebuild now, it means something entirely different than in the past 17 yrs. This rebuild starts with acknowledging the past, admiring it, and with the intent of reviving it. Kyle isn't after just a SB. He is after rebuilding a dynasty. Winning, but doing it repeatedly. And, winning it all.

The look, the attitude, the attn to detail, taking notes from the past, the glory days....that's what really smart leaders do...and not just in football but in business too. Hiding or downplaying the glory of days past, a la harbaw, is stupidity at its worst. And in the end, when i think of harbaw and all the talent wasted, it just makes my skin crawl. The bad joke is many , still, think of him as the guy who revived our team. Absolutlely not. He just rented talent accumulated, screwed around with it like the weak NFL coach he was, throw in a load of childishness and being a "crybaby" , and you got harbaw. How i wish he would have left a yr or two sooner. But that is all past tense now, and we have serious guys at the helm. Also, somehow, Lynch managed to negate the York influence, while still being their employee. Think on that a moment and just how difficult and clever that really was. With the yorks in the decision making process of pure football, we never were going to be a legit team again. They had to move over and let the pros do it. The hardest part was finding the right people and somehow they did. My guess is it was a professional head hunter group, but maybe it was corporate office saying, "Guys, we need to change directions. We need professional help." Enter Kyle and then by a very unusual hiring process, they hired the GM. Maybe jed had a hand in that, maybe not. Thing is it happened and finally we are on our way out of this 17 yr tunnel of darkness. Kap with all his athleticism was a one and done type of phenomenon. What he had couldn't be sustained in the NFL. Worked briefly for two seasons and then the harbaw experiment was over. At that point, so was harbaw.

Who knows exactly how this plays out and how long it takes. But look at not just the improvement, but the how of the improvement. Personally, i believe kyle is advanced way beyond his years. He is a take no prisoners type of guy. If you can't cut it, if you can't stay healthy, then gone. Cut out the dead wood, replace with better when and where you can. Build a cohesive environment, (oh say, mixing different football groups, ie CBs and RBs in the locker room), and not a divisive, 2 locker room team. What kind of idiocy does something like that? Or rather, allows it? Certainly not a HC in the Bill Walsh mode. And that is what i think of in kyle. A BW type, but early, early in his development, yet exacting in each and every thing he does. Every move....is made toward team building. I didn't catch that initially, but now, it is blatantly obvious. Anyone think that doesn't ahve a positive long term effect? Surely it does, and with his and john's attn to detail, i believe whole heartedly, the two of them are going to break their backsides to show up the Vegas line of 4.5Ws. And this business about winning only two or a small handful of games this yr, wiht a high draft pick next yr? Poppycock. Our GM and HC are out to win as many games as possible this yr, and are not remotely considering a mere 4 or 5 Ws. They are thinking way bigger. They are thinking SB in the short term ...but for the long haul.

No idea how many we win this yr, but i am absolutely positive we will be in any and all games, to the very last whistle. If we lose it will be with maximal effort and at the end of the day, all can say, "we gave it our best". It won't be the Ws this yr (altho i know for certain it won't be anywhere near Vegas predictions), it will be how we played. And in that there is no doubt....we will look like a talented well coached team, on the rise and on the way to the top. It can't be this yr with no FR QB nor #1 WR, but we are well situated to be one helluva lot better team than in the past 17 yrs. May not win as many as 2011 and 2012, but the TEAM will look better, play better. It will be professional once again. We have not looked that way since the turn of the century. It is our time again.

Great post Doc!!!
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Great post Doc!!!

Yep.
Originally posted by English:
Great post Doc!!!

Yep.

Care to explain why that's a great post?

Has nothing to do with our current HC.
Is nothing more than a Jim b***h fest.
Should prob move it to the official Jim thread?

Shanny doesn't have to worry about changing stadiums and newly built locker rooms that half the team wanted to use. That point is silly.

Hanging some some signs on the wall, lol.
Shanny and John have proved nothing at a HC and GM level. How about we wait and see how they'll do first?

Blaming Jim for not developing all of Trent's draft pick blunders?
Blaming Jim for breaking up a roster full of talented players esp. on ST for younger cheaper guys who would rather be bass fishing?

Come on. lol

ps
It was kind of a painful post to get through with the amount of grammatical errors. At least he used paragraphs so for that I'll say he gave maximal effort.
Great post Doc!!!

Yep.

Agreed. Kap never improved.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Great post Doc!!!

Yep.

Agreed. Kap never improved.

Wow excellent argument.

Alex Smith did. 49ers went from the 24th (19.1ppg) scoring offense in 2010 to 11th (23.8) best in 2011. I guess that was because of Trent? For three years straight the 49ers avg. 24 ppg. I guess losing half a team of pro bowl players by the 4th year was all JIm's fault also.

I guess any HC with a crappy QB are just crappy coaches.

Originally posted by SoCold:
Great post Doc!!!

Yep.

Shanny doesn't have to worry about changing stadiums and newly built locker rooms that half the team wanted to use. That point is silly.

Shanny and John have proved nothing at a HC and GM level. How about we wait and see how they'll do first?

Blaming Jim for breaking up a roster full of talented players esp. on ST for younger cheaper guys who would rather be bass fishing?

Come on. lol

ps
It was kind of a painful post to get through with the amount of grammatical errors. At least he used paragraphs so for that I'll say he gave maximal effort.

Great post SoCold

They keep trying to take away the accomplishments that Jim did.
He was lucky? We had a stacked team?
The dribble goes on and on
Jim is a fantastic coach. He did what no other coach did in the NFL..
But it was because he was lucky and had a stacked team. Ok

I am hopeful Kyle and Lynch do well.
But, they have done nothing and yet, they've been crowned on here by a few.
Somehow i didn't learn about this until well after the fact, but the mere fact that harbaw KNEW of this and still did nothing is a devastating indictment of a guy who was Peter Principled...ie promoted to a postion he was not qualified to fill. Sure one could make that case against his deathly lack of O playcalling, falling back on his time with Schembeckler in the 70s or 80s, and using that as his "Modern O"...which we all know damn well it WASN'T. But the fact he very well knew of the existence of two locker rooms and never lifted a finger to change it? Just plain old dumb ass stupidity. In the end he was exposed for what he was....able to coach a college team and incredible luck his last 3 stops before arriving here, when he inherited Luck at his last college stop. Two other good college QBs before that. But player development? QB whisperer? Those were monikers given harbaw along the way and were done so not based on fact. How a guy could have been here 4 yrs and developed nobody....that is hard to fathom. Here, he inherited a stacked team, built on one high draft position after another for 8-9 yrs as we stumble-bumbed along the way, winning less than .500. In short, harbaw was a candle that burned britely for a brief moment , faded, and then died away.

But one thing harbaw did that WAS good was that he was a good organizer, and that was his sole contribution to this team. He organized a bunch of talent like had not been done since the millennium, which was roughly 10 yrs. We stunk during that time and got great #1 and #2 picks. After 10 yrs or so, even a blind pig will find an acorn. And that was what harbaw inherited, altho, that may be a bit on the harsh side. He brot us back to respectability, for a brief 2 yrs, and then when players should have been getting better, the wheels came off. He coached the talent he had, but did not improve it per se. The "TEAM" things kyle and John have done are classic in building a franchise, building an identity, building character, building cohesiveness. We saw none of that during harbaw's time here. The mere fact that kyle is really invested in "TEAM", and pride in 49er teams now long gone...those are what build great teams, great dynasties. One doesn't shy away from achievements of times past. Only those embarrassed by their lack of success do things like that...like the present owners, for example. They knew they were making a hash of things and any remembrance of former 49er glory only made it more obvious. I guess it is the natural thing for a loser owner to do. Hide from the glory of times past. It sure doesn't work that way in NE, Dallas, Pitts. They glory in their past.

And that is what we are seeing now with the inspiration signs, the mural, the visits by former 9er favorites, and so on. In a brief 3-4 mos, kyle has showed up the harbaw yrs for what they were. A guy in way over his head, capable of taking talent and organizing it, but NOT capable of playcalling and game managing to actually WIN a SB. He got us close once, and fairly close twice more. But we never won it, with incredible talent. It was the most brutal waste of talent i can recall of being an NFL fan since the 1950s. What was missing? A brite shining star at the top, imbued wiht football wisdom and ability to develop the talent he had. It seems we are about to try this again, but this time with a true student of the game, with a kid who was brot up in the 49er mold , watching his dad and the great Bill Walsh. Kyle obviously took good notes, remembered the good stuff and eliminated the bad. When we talk about rebuild now, it means something entirely different than in the past 17 yrs. This rebuild starts with acknowledging the past, admiring it, and with the intent of reviving it. Kyle isn't after just a SB. He is after rebuilding a dynasty. Winning, but doing it repeatedly. And, winning it all.

The look, the attitude, the attn to detail, taking notes from the past, the glory days....that's what really smart leaders do...and not just in football but in business too. Hiding or downplaying the glory of days past, a la harbaw, is stupidity at its worst. And in the end, when i think of harbaw and all the talent wasted, it just makes my skin crawl. The bad joke is many , still, think of him as the guy who revived our team. Absolutlely not. He just rented talent accumulated, screwed around with it like the weak NFL coach he was, throw in a load of childishness and being a "crybaby" , and you got harbaw. How i wish he would have left a yr or two sooner. But that is all past tense now, and we have serious guys at the helm. Also, somehow, Lynch managed to negate the York influence, while still being their employee. Think on that a moment and just how difficult and clever that really was. With the yorks in the decision making process of pure football, we never were going to be a legit team again. They had to move over and let the pros do it. The hardest part was finding the right people and somehow they did. My guess is it was a professional head hunter group, but maybe it was corporate office saying, "Guys, we need to change directions. We need professional help." Enter Kyle and then by a very unusual hiring process, they hired the GM. Maybe jed had a hand in that, maybe not. Thing is it happened and finally we are on our way out of this 17 yr tunnel of darkness. Kap with all his athleticism was a one and done type of phenomenon. What he had couldn't be sustained in the NFL. Worked briefly for two seasons and then the harbaw experiment was over. At that point, so was harbaw.

Who knows exactly how this plays out and how long it takes. But look at not just the improvement, but the how of the improvement. Personally, i believe kyle is advanced way beyond his years. He is a take no prisoners type of guy. If you can't cut it, if you can't stay healthy, then gone. Cut out the dead wood, replace with better when and where you can. Build a cohesive environment, (oh say, mixing different football groups, ie CBs and RBs in the locker room), and not a divisive, 2 locker room team. What kind of idiocy does something like that? Or rather, allows it? Certainly not a HC in the Bill Walsh mode. And that is what i think of in kyle. A BW type, but early, early in his development, yet exacting in each and every thing he does. Every move....is made toward team building. I didn't catch that initially, but now, it is blatantly obvious. Anyone think that doesn't ahve a positive long term effect? Surely it does, and with his and john's attn to detail, i believe whole heartedly, the two of them are going to break their backsides to show up the Vegas line of 4.5Ws. And this business about winning only two or a small handful of games this yr, wiht a high draft pick next yr? Poppycock. Our GM and HC are out to win as many games as possible this yr, and are not remotely considering a mere 4 or 5 Ws. They are thinking way bigger. They are thinking SB in the short term ...but for the long haul.

No idea how many we win this yr, but i am absolutely positive we will be in any and all games, to the very last whistle. If we lose it will be with maximal effort and at the end of the day, all can say, "we gave it our best". It won't be the Ws this yr (altho i know for certain it won't be anywhere near Vegas predictions), it will be how we played. And in that there is no doubt....we will look like a talented well coached team, on the rise and on the way to the top. It can't be this yr with no FR QB nor #1 WR, but we are well situated to be one helluva lot better team than in the past 17 yrs. May not win as many as 2011 and 2012, but the TEAM will look better, play better. It will be professional once again. We have not looked that way since the turn of the century. It is our time again.

Wow
So you hated all the games Jim won?
Jim lucked out going to the NFC 3 times in first 3 years which no other coach did?
We sure were NOT talked about as this awesome talented team when Jim took over.
So your on the same boat as the owner? "Win with class"
Wtf

We sure looked like a "unified organized team with a plan" whenever we took the field in jims years here.

Here's a question.
Please name all of the players drafted that are still on the team or with another NFL team since Jim coached here?
[ Edited by jeepzilla on May 16, 2017 at 7:23 AM ]
I hope we find another gem like Montana

Kyle Shanahan doesn't know who Montana is. The only gem to him is Kirk Cousins.

Great post Doc!!!

Nice post.. A lot of feeling.. I can see Bill Pullman reading it.

Originally posted by SoCold:
Great post Doc!!!

Yep.

Come on. lol

ps

No, not really. I didnt think everyone would like it. I did, which is why I annotated. I cant be bothered to get into pointless arguments with people who have differing opinions. When it gets like that you make your point and walk away.

I dont think this place will be improved by people becoming grammar nazi's, by the way.
Share 49ersWebzone