LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 297 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by post_primitive:
Am I alone in considering Hoyer the leastof our concerns?

Dude was having a solid season last year before his injury. If he doesn't get hurt, he's probably still in Chicago. And now he'll be working in Kyle's scheme again.

I'm not either. I think Hoyer is going to be solid if there is a lot of speed around him. QB's don't need to be elite talent-wise. Brady and Montana and many many others are a perfect example that a QB simply needs to get the ball where it should go. Do that and the talent on the offense will shine and the ball will move.

Agree
He told his wife right after Lynch called him the night before the NFCCG that was John Lynch on the phone saying he wants to try and be a GM. She asks him what he thinks about that and he was thrown for a loop kinda. Then he says that's the best thing I've heard, goes out and kicks the Packers' ass the next day.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, several. First, we have a new HC who will game plan for the Panthers. Next we have an OC/HC who will play call like the league's best OC he was last yr and for several yrs before. Then, he will be fielding a team ( or rather he and lynch will be fielding a team) that has had 5 or 6 of our WRs cut out and replaced with way better talent. Same goes for QB. We have been bereft of a NFL QB for most of the last 4+ yrs. One of Kyle's and Lynch's first job was to secure that position, based on talent that was available. And HOyer , who knows the WCO, was a good fit. GReat QB? No, but all he has to do is execute the things that Kyle wants, and he is very capable of doing that.

Next, thanks to kyle we will be using a RB who may very well end up our #1, and at first glance, has a shot of being better than Carlos. As for WR replacements, we know we have a winner in Kerley, plus we have added a bettter WR than we had been stuck with at every slot on the field. Additonally, we are not starting the yr with our usual 17 guys on IR, or just coming off IR. The days of drafting ACLs, bad joints of all varieties is over (with one very large exception...Reuben)...and he was worth it plus our docs feel the shoulder is ok.

Our OL, which began rebuild some 3 yrs ago, was skinny at best and just enough talent at worst. But now, we ahve the Zut at Center, our most obvious weak link. Terrific upgrade there. Also we got rid of the two worst players on the team, Martin and Pears , replacing them with guys who are legit backups, and actually can play. We now have Joe S, , Garnett, , Zuttah, beadles and Trenton. Plus we have guys pushing them for starting roles, not stiffs who could just suit up...and not much more.

Less of a factor, but still important, we have a HC and GM who are bringing back the past....a reminder of the greatness in yrs gone by. These yrs of complete dominance have been pushed aside or under the rug under baalke and JH, tomsul, and finally Chip. Not that it was tomsul's or chip's fault. Wiht JH, yes it was part of his fault. Thing is that is now gone also, Kyle and john have inspiration murals, signs in the locker room, and have Steve Young as well as many others visiting and being a presence for the younger guys to see. Pride in team is the new mantra. Jed and his folks have backed away from hiding the 49ers yrs of greatness, of dominance. That is exactly what kyle is aiming for...a dynasty once again. The real culprits here, the owners, have ceded victory to kyle and lynch, and agreed to embrace the glory of teams past..

Yet another edge is we have reels of film on Cam et al. They got nothing on us. GRanted, during PS that will change, but still the advantage is ours. Lastly , the feud between JH and the F.O or JH and the GM...those days are gone. We have a united front, an excellent one, with trust all around. Previously, it was always a fight between HC and GM. Now just harmony.

So the question: What's the advantage kyle brings us week one? Well, in additon to those above, we have a TRUE QB Whisperer in KYle, and that will make for all sorts of advantage as the season moves along. He may be a first yr HC, but just looking at what he has done to date...does that seem like a rook to you? Nah, kyle looks to be the real deal, and once season starts we are at long last going to witness expert game planning and even better play calling. That plus kyle will continuously be developing every last bit of talent that HOyer has. Does that get us a W? Unlikely, in that we are going up one of the truly talented QBs in Cam, and a wily old (?) DC now HC in Ron Riverboat gambler Rivera. They should win, but not easily, esp wiht their newfound RB, who is the real deal. Still , i look for it to be a good game, and there still is the chance we get a couple breaks and steal a W.

But as to the question, those advantages should hold up at least thru half the season, unitl other Ds and HCs get a line on us. Meantime, i see the above advantages hanging on at least half way thru the season, but any Ws are going to come from pure gut check play on the part of our OL, DL, LBs, DBs, RBs, WRs, TEs and of course, our Qb....and even moreso, the clever play calling of our new OC/HC.

when i saw CAR as our first match up for week one. I was concerned a bit, but with kyle knowing the panthers very good and beating them twice last year and every thing you stated above.. Maybe we could pull it off.. Great write up!!
"Right now, Brian Hoyer is going to be at the controls," Shanahan told Eisen. "I'm really excited about Brian. Brian looked really good here in phase one and phase two of the offseason. He's putting in a lot of work. I got to work with Brian for one year when we were in Cleveland together. He can execute an entire offense. He can read a defense. He can hang in that pocket. He's a guy that's very tough. He doesn't watch the rush. He distributes the ball to whoever should get the ball based on the coverage and he allows guys to make plays.

"I'd like to run a real similar offense to what we did in Atlanta with Brian and with the rest of our guys but it's never the same. You're always going to adjust to your own players and see how it goes. Right now, we start OTAs this Monday. We're going to put in our base system of what we really do every year and you start to see your players. I should go through 10 OTA practices and then minicamp and then into the offseason.

"As a coaching staff, you're just teaching the basic system but you start to see what your players are good at and then it kind of funnels from there."

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/106250-kyle-shanahan-explains-likes-brian-hoyer-49ers-starting/
[ Edited by NCommand on May 19, 2017 at 6:45 PM ]
I like Hoyer, I think he's the best bridge QB that was available. The best fit. Especially since he has played with Shanahan before. Over his last 16 games he played like Alex Smith but with a better deep ball. Maybe Cutler could get more production in a Shanahan offense but I'll take Hoyer over Cutler at this point. Esp after the 2016 season and... Jays attitude sucks. Don't want that on a new team.

Like Shanahan said, Hoyer is a guy that will execute plays as written up and that's clutch when you're installing a new offense.

We were "lucky" to get him when we did. He's not going to be our franchise QB but I think he'll be a key player that hekps this new era get started and for that I'll give him respect. (Unless he absolutely blows on Sundays)

Lacking a true no1 WR I don't think we should put high expectations on him. We're not looking for top 10 QB play, or even top 15 (although top 15 would be good), we're looking to get the o-line, WR's, TE's and RB's flowing in the new offense.

You can't do that with Gabbernick.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by post_primitive:
Am I alone in considering Hoyer the leastof our concerns?

Dude was having a solid season last year before his injury. If he doesn't get hurt, he's probably still in Chicago. And now he'll be working in Kyle's scheme again.

I'm not either. I think Hoyer is going to be solid if there is a lot of speed around him. QB's don't need to be elite talent-wise. Brady and Montana and many many others are a perfect example that a QB simply needs to get the ball where it should go. Do that and the talent on the offense will shine and the ball will move.

I don't know about that. Montana had a sort of magic that transcended the system.

Quickly going through progressions and throwing with accuracy, touch and anticipation are key but beyond that Joe just had the "it factor".

I don't think it was as simple as getting the ball where it needed to go. That's all I'm saying. He was the quintessential pocket passer.

If he played in todays NFL he'd be throwing for 5000 yards at a 70% completion rate with 35-40 TD's every other year.
I bet him and his pops have deep conversations about the rebuild process. You know he's putting in his two cents lol
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
I don't know about that. Montana had a sort of magic that transcended the system.

Quickly going through progressions and throwing with accuracy, touch and anticipation are key but beyond that Joe just had the "it factor".

I don't think it was as simple as getting the ball where it needed to go. That's all I'm saying. He was the quintessential pocket passer.

If he played in todays NFL he'd be throwing for 5000 yards at a 70% completion rate with 35-40 TD's every other year.

He only threw for over 30 tds once in his career and he never passed for over 4,000 yds. Id have to disagree with you there.
I like Hoyer, I think he's the best bridge QB that was available. The best fit. Especially since he has played with Shanahan before. Over his last 16 games he played like Alex Smith but with a better deep ball. Maybe Cutler could get more production in a Shanahan offense but I'll take Hoyer over Cutler at this point. Esp after the 2016 season and... Jays attitude sucks. Don't want that on a new team.

Like Shanahan said, Hoyer is a guy that will execute plays as written up and that's clutch when you're installing a new offense.

We were "lucky" to get him when we did. He's not going to be our franchise QB but I think he'll be a key player that hekps this new era get started and for that I'll give him respect. (Unless he absolutely blows on Sundays)

Lacking a true no1 WR I don't think we should put high expectations on him. We're not looking for top 10 QB play, or even top 15 (although top 15 would be good), we're looking to get the o-line, WR's, TE's and RB's flowing in the new offense.

And remember, LeP, that the one very FIRST move that kyle and john made, was to get a QB kyle felt comfortable with, and thus subsequently and wisely, took QB off the board as a player we HAD TO HAVE...ie as the 2nd player off the board in draft. Kyle has just told us there were NO Qbs that could be yr 1 starters, so he and John went about making a fix for this yr, (including backup, no less), so they could concentrate on the multiple other holes we had on both O and D. In the retrospectoscope, it was a brilliant move, as opposed to CHI, et al, those taking QBs early on who really , truly did not deserve being picked anywhere near that high. That served us well , loading up on D initially, and then spreading our picks around the board.

The OTHER neat thing was fixing the OL in FA, wiht the Zut, and then Jusczyk. We also got a vet swing OLineman, thus insuring we didn't have to fix the OL in the draft, where, once again, like QBs, there wasn't real deserving talent. Now one could say john and kyle got lucky, but to me that was just brilliance in planning. Other teams could have done the same, but instead relied on a poor draft board for both QB and OL. John and kyle fixed it prior to draft so we didn't ahve to worry about either slot being filled by a substandard QB or OL. And that was also part of the brilliance of the draft. You don't hear talking heads mentioning what those two did prior to draft, but it was damn important to us...and allowed us to concerntrate on getting the talent we needed at so many other slots, being completely unconcerned about QB and OL. That was a slick, smart, move. And it made for a draft where we literally had great picks all the way thru. They may have been draft virgins, but you never would ahve known it. They looked like the pros from Dover.
Originally posted by JBrack:

He only threw for over 30 tds once in his career and he never passed for over 4,000 yds. Id have to disagree with you there.

There's a huge difference between 1980-1990 NFL and the 2017 NFL. They protect QB's now and make passing much easier. They also protect WR's going down the middle etc.

And remember, LeP, that the one very FIRST move that kyle and john made, was to get a QB kyle felt comfortable with, and thus subsequently and wisely, took QB off the board as a player we HAD TO HAVE...ie as the 2nd player off the board in draft. Kyle has just told us there were NO Qbs that could be yr 1 starters, so he and John went about making a fix for this yr, (including backup, no less), so they could concentrate on the multiple other holes we had on both O and D. In the retrospectoscope, it was a brilliant move, as opposed to CHI, et al, those taking QBs early on who really , truly did not deserve being picked anywhere near that high. That served us well , loading up on D initially, and then spreading our picks around the board.

The OTHER neat thing was fixing the OL in FA, wiht the Zut, and then Jusczyk. We also got a vet swing OLineman, thus insuring we didn't have to fix the OL in the draft, where, once again, like QBs, there wasn't real deserving talent. Now one could say john and kyle got lucky, but to me that was just brilliance in planning. Other teams could have done the same, but instead relied on a poor draft board for both QB and OL. John and kyle fixed it prior to draft so we didn't ahve to worry about either slot being filled by a substandard QB or OL. And that was also part of the brilliance of the draft. You don't hear talking heads mentioning what those two did prior to draft, but it was damn important to us...and allowed us to concerntrate on getting the talent we needed at so many other slots, being completely unconcerned about QB and OL. That was a slick, smart, move. And it made for a draft where we literally had great picks all the way thru. They may have been draft virgins, but you never would ahve known it. They looked like the pros from Dover.

It was a great draft. I'm not sure our o-line is fixed just yet. It was horrible run blocking last year. We'll see. I hope it's a strong point. Only positive, if Hoyer goes down we'll be drafting top 5. lol
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
CJ Beathard thread has more posts than HC

That's all
Originally posted by JBrack:

There's a huge difference between 1980-1990 NFL and the 2017 NFL. They protect QB's now and make passing much easier. They also protect WR's going down the middle etc.

What huge difference? We were the most prolific offense in the NFL.

Everyone likes to think Joe was this great QB who slung the ball wherever he wanted. He was actually a very conservative QB who was known for the comeback.

I don't think Joe would change much at all. Do you forget he had the best wr of all time? Im pretty sure he knew what he was doing and Jerry's stats prove it.

Compare those stats to today's game!
[ Edited by JBrack on May 21, 2017 at 12:04 AM ]
Originally posted by Crown:
CJ Beathard thread has more posts than HC

That's all

At least it isn't some practice squad running back having more posts than the QB.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Great points Doc!
[ Edited by Giedi on May 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone