LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 253 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by JBrack:
What huge difference? We were the most prolific offense in the NFL.

Everyone likes to think Joe was this great QB who slung the ball wherever he wanted. He was actually a very conservative QB who was known for the comeback.

I don't think Joe would change much at all. Do you forget he had the best wr of all time? Im pretty sure he knew what he was doing and Jerry's stats prove it.

Compare those stats to today's game!

We were still a top 10 passing attack just about every year. He wasn't a statisical Drew Brees but Montana wasn't Alex Smith either. It was just a more balanced league back then. In today's NFL if you can pass the ball that's what you do because it's much harder to stop. It's hard to say what Joe would look like today.
Originally posted by Driftforge:
Originally posted by Crown:
CJ Beathard thread has more posts than HC

That's all

At least it isn't some practice squad running back having more posts than the QB.

Time to resign Kory Sheets.
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
There's a huge difference between 1980-1990 NFL and the 2017 NFL. They protect QB's now and make passing much easier. They also protect WR's going down the middle etc.

This just doesn't happen today. Would be flagged as a personal foul roughing the passer.

He only threw for over 30 tds once in his career and he never passed for over 4,000 yds. Id have to disagree with you there.
In the mid 90's and 2000's more rules to protect QB's and Receivers which lead to as Dick Butkis would say" today's FB is panty waste" Montana would take advantage of the prominent passing style of FB and could get numerous 4000 plus yards and more TD's then he could in the 80's
Montana with Rice and JT as his WR and Brent Jones at TE in todays modern football would score over 50 TDs in a season.

Rice would have up to 30 TD catches himself.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
I don't know about that. Montana had a sort of magic that transcended the system.

Quickly going through progressions and throwing with accuracy, touch and anticipation are key but beyond that Joe just had the "it factor".

I don't think it was as simple as getting the ball where it needed to go. That's all I'm saying. He was the quintessential pocket passer.

If he played in todays NFL he'd be throwing for 5000 yards at a 70% completion rate with 35-40 TD's every other year.

He only threw for over 30 tds once in his career and he never passed for over 4,000 yds. Id have to disagree with you there.

He also had Rice, Taylor and Jones to pass to.
Originally posted by jcs:
He also had Rice, Taylor and Jones to pass to.

Yeah! Just saying.
The NFL was much different 25 years ago. Anyone who thinks Montana would have the same stats in 2017 probably hasn't noticed how the game has changed. (As in, younger fans)

Anyway, not really worth arguing over or debating. It's one of those hypotheticals we can never prove either way.
I had a conversation with Bart Starr a couple of years ago, he said the game itself is so different from his day that you can hardly call it the same game.

But he said; he fancied his chances of pass completion and scoring under today's rules.
[ Edited by GoldenGateGlory on May 21, 2017 at 10:20 PM ]
He put up great stat lines for his times, Montana that is, so why wouldn't he in todays day and age where it is easier than ever to pass.

He had great stats for his era. Yeah some QBs had better here and there but he still was pretty great for the times year in and year out. Passing wasn't easy. Defenses were able to do tons of things that made it super difficult to put up the stats they have today.

it is a hypothetical but I think all signs show that he would flourish in todays pass game, just like he did in a much more difficult passing era.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
I had a conversation with Bart Starr a couple of years ago, he said the game itself is so different from his day that you can hardly call it the same game.

But he said; he fancied his chances of pass completion and scoring under today's rules.

That's key right there. The rules changes due to player health and injury issues. It's pretty much flag football nowadays when you compare it to what Bart Starr had to deal with back when he was playing. I think that's why defensively QB pressure schemes like the 3-4 blitz and the 4-3 under zones are so widespread now, and it's because the rules favor the passing game so much more than the run game. That's why Harbaugh's run first offense was a bit disappointing because he was operating an offense that gave a handicap to the opposing team from the get go.
Originally posted by Giedi:
That's key right there. The rules changes due to player health and injury issues. It's pretty much flag football nowadays when you compare it to what Bart Starr had to deal with back when he was playing. I think that's why defensively QB pressure schemes like the 3-4 blitz and the 4-3 under zones are so widespread now, and it's because the rules favor the passing game so much more than the run game. That's why Harbaugh's run first offense was a bit disappointing because he was operating an offense that gave a handicap to the opposing team from the get go.

Jim Hart was on the radio here a few weeks ago talking about how a defensive lineman once ran up to him after a play was over, slapped him hard upside his head in full view of a ref and all the ref did was walk up to him and say "you ready to go quarterback?" And he said that wasn't all that uncommon. Defenses aren't allowed to defend anywhere near what they used to, quarterbacks are far more sheltered and protected, can't be hit nearly as much,I imagine Montana in nowaday's NFL would be pretty much like Brady in terms of passing numbers.
The NFL was much different 25 years ago. Anyone who thinks Montana would have the same stats in 2017 probably hasn't noticed how the game has changed. (As in, younger fans)

Anyway, not really worth arguing over or debating. It's one of those hypotheticals we can never prove either way.

Yes the game is much different than before. Rice and Taylor would have easier times as they were mugged much more than they are now. With that said, it all depends on the coach. Although Walsh would go after whatever your weakness was. When given the lead late in the second half, he would run it to kill the clock and pass as necessary. If your weakness was run defense he would attack that and not just pass cause Montana was back there. Walsh would pass or run, but he would prefer if possible, to run it in the red zone if he could, but would pass if that was what he was given.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Jim Hart was on the radio here a few weeks ago talking about how a defensive lineman once ran up to him after a play was over, slapped him hard upside his head in full view of a ref and all the ref did was walk up to him and say "you ready to go quarterback?" And he said that wasn't all that uncommon. Defenses aren't allowed to defend anywhere near what they used to, quarterbacks are far more sheltered and protected, can't be hit nearly as much,I imagine Montana in nowaday's NFL would be pretty much like Brady in terms of passing numbers.

He might have Giselle too
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He might have Giselle too

I think Joe is quite happy with his current wife.

He had 3 goes at getting it right.
Share 49ersWebzone