There are 262 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Giedi:
That's key right there. The rules changes due to player health and injury issues. It's pretty much flag football nowadays when you compare it to what Bart Starr had to deal with back when he was playing. I think that's why defensively QB pressure schemes like the 3-4 blitz and the 4-3 under zones are so widespread now, and it's because the rules favor the passing game so much more than the run game. That's why Harbaugh's run first offense was a bit disappointing because he was operating an offense that gave a handicap to the opposing team from the get go.

Jim Hart was on the radio here a few weeks ago talking about how a defensive lineman once ran up to him after a play was over, slapped him hard upside his head in full view of a ref and all the ref did was walk up to him and say "you ready to go quarterback?" And he said that wasn't all that uncommon. Defenses aren't allowed to defend anywhere near what they used to, quarterbacks are far more sheltered and protected, can't be hit nearly as much,I imagine Montana in nowaday's NFL would be pretty much like Brady in terms of passing numbers.

I think I understand why the NFL makes these rules. I think they don't want the politicians to take their legal monopoly away, so in order to kiss up to the politicians so the politicians don't have any cause to be mad at the NFL and do that, they make these rules to *protect* the players. They've already had the no-spearing rule since before dirt was invented, and yet they add all this stuff about a QB being outside of the pocket vs inside etc.. I'd say a good portion of the politicians don't really care about the NFL, but they do care about some butt hurt citizen who doesn't like the redskin name and will complain to the politician about how the NFL is a criminal organization allowing the NFL to criminally assault and batter their employees by allowing these clothesline hits and stuff. I bet the politicians don't care one way or the other, but they have to deal with it because they want that guys or gal's vote in the next election.

Anyway, back to Montana. Yeah, I agree, I think he'd have very similar numbers to Brady and perhaps even better numbers. I dunno, but I know the guy would have found a way to win, one way or another. The guy was a winner, we'll see if CJ is cut from the same cloth.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
The NFL was much different 25 years ago. Anyone who thinks Montana would have the same stats in 2017 probably hasn't noticed how the game has changed. (As in, younger fans)

Anyway, not really worth arguing over or debating. It's one of those hypotheticals we can never prove either way.

Yes the game is much different than before. Rice and Taylor would have easier times as they were mugged much more than they are now. With that said, it all depends on the coach. Although Walsh would go after whatever your weakness was. When given the lead late in the second half, he would run it to kill the clock and pass as necessary. If your weakness was run defense he would attack that and not just pass cause Montana was back there. Walsh would pass or run, but he would prefer if possible, to run it in the red zone if he could, but would pass if that was what he was given.

Agree, and Walsh often said, you can scheme to hide offensive weakness, (example rolling away to the right from the pass rush if your Left Tackle can't pass protect very well) but you can't hid defensive weakness. That's why I applaud ShanaLynch for going defense first in this years draft. I think Kyle share's Walsh's confidence that he's a good enough offensive coordinator to hide those weak spots on the offense and decided to shore up our defensive weaknesses first. We shall see if that confidence is warranted.
In 1984 Marino threw for over 5,000 yds and 48 tds. Are you all trying to tell me in todays NFL he would pass for over 6,500 yds and 65 tds?
[ Edited by JBrack on May 22, 2017 at 4:10 PM ]
Marino would be unstoppable in today's modern football because he would not be touched by the defence.

Today; Clayton and Duper would be unplayable by modern cornerbacks under the new rules also.

Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Marino would be unstoppable in today's modern football because he would not be touched by the defence.

Today; Clayton and Duper would be unplayable by modern cornerbacks under the new rules also.

Yeah but not that much better.

You would have to avg 400 yds a game(6,400) to go along with 4 TDs a game(64) to even sniff those types of numbers. I don't see anyone ever doing that.

Its impressive enough he avg 315 yds a game with 3 tds.
[ Edited by JBrack on May 22, 2017 at 4:28 PM ]
Its only another 85 yards and 1 TD per game.

That's only another 20 yards per quarter.

That is about 1 extra completion per quarter.

He would do that easily today.

Only? I have watched current 49er qbs end the entire game with less than 85 yds with no tds.
Originally posted by JBrack:

Only? I have watched current 49er qbs end the entire game with less than 85 yds with no tds.

They are NOT Dan Marino.

If OTA started today anyone know why there's absolutely no reports of anything whatsoever? Maybe just a introductory day.
Originally posted by ninerjok:
If OTA started today anyone know why there's absolutely no reports of anything whatsoever? Maybe just a introductory day.

Im not sure how many practices are open to the media under the new regime
, But its certainly quieter than in years past.

I like the quietness; that is how Bill Walsh went about his business in the day.

better than wind bag load mouthing that never got us very far.
Originally posted by LeProfessionnel:
I don't know about that. Montana had a sort of magic that transcended the system.

Quickly going through progressions and throwing with accuracy, touch and anticipation are key but beyond that Joe just had the "it factor".

I don't think it was as simple as getting the ball where it needed to go. That's all I'm saying. He was the quintessential pocket passer.

If he played in todays NFL he'd be throwing for 5000 yards at a 70% completion rate with 35-40 TD's every other year.

I don't know about 5000 every year....but if you give Joe 600 throws a year like today's game his numbers are gonna look just like Brady's. Now his '89 season was 3500 yards on 380 or so attempts. You give him another 200 throws and I'd be willing to bet a 5000 yards season would've happened.
As much as I love Joe and know he is a winner; Marino would score more TDs than him in any given season; just because with Miaimi's offence of the day and modern rules; Marino would throw on just about every offensive play.
I watched both at Stanford stadium, sitting on the Miami portion of the field, up midway. Great seats and got to see the duel. I will say this. Marino was great, but that day, he had a helluva time throwing when he was on his back a fair amount of time. Our D just ground him up. Their OL may not have been great but our front 7 just mauled Marino. Joe had protection, and Marino didn't. Don't recall what he threw for that day, but man did he ever spend a lot of time on his back. I bet he had bruises everywhere for a week. We were truly awesome, as in awe inspiring.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I watched both at Stanford stadium, sitting on the Miami portion of the field, up midway. Great seats and got to see the duel. I will say this. Marino was great, but that day, he had a helluva time throwing when he was on his back a fair amount of time. Our D just ground him up. Their OL may not have been great but our front 7 just mauled Marino. Joe had protection, and Marino didn't. Don't recall what he threw for that day, but man did he ever spend a lot of time on his back. I bet he had bruises everywhere for a week. We were truly awesome, as in awe inspiring.

Fred Dean, Dwain Board, Gary Johnson, Louie Kelcher, Michael Carter, Jeff Stover = No time for Marino in the pocket!
Share 49ersWebzone