LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 137 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I watched both at Stanford stadium, sitting on the Miami portion of the field, up midway. Great seats and got to see the duel. I will say this. Marino was great, but that day, he had a helluva time throwing when he was on his back a fair amount of time. Our D just ground him up. Their OL may not have been great but our front 7 just mauled Marino. Joe had protection, and Marino didn't. Don't recall what he threw for that day, but man did he ever spend a lot of time on his back. I bet he had bruises everywhere for a week. We were truly awesome, as in awe inspiring.

We had a team-Miami had Marino and his wrs. That is it. No D, no running back. We shut down the running gm and teed off on him. Their TE was not anything either. If he had our D and our running game, his numbers would go down, but they would be an even scarier team in the long run and would have made it back to the SB and might have won several.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Giedi:
That's key right there. The rules changes due to player health and injury issues. It's pretty much flag football nowadays when you compare it to what Bart Starr had to deal with back when he was playing. I think that's why defensively QB pressure schemes like the 3-4 blitz and the 4-3 under zones are so widespread now, and it's because the rules favor the passing game so much more than the run game. That's why Harbaugh's run first offense was a bit disappointing because he was operating an offense that gave a handicap to the opposing team from the get go.

Jim Hart was on the radio here a few weeks ago talking about how a defensive lineman once ran up to him after a play was over, slapped him hard upside his head in full view of a ref and all the ref did was walk up to him and say "you ready to go quarterback?" And he said that wasn't all that uncommon. Defenses aren't allowed to defend anywhere near what they used to, quarterbacks are far more sheltered and protected, can't be hit nearly as much,I imagine Montana in nowaday's NFL would be pretty much like Brady in terms of passing numbers.

Heresy! Montana would obliterate Brady's numbers.
Originally posted by WildBill:
We had a team-Miami had Marino and his wrs. That is it. No D, no running back. We shut down the running gm and teed off on him. Their TE was not anything either. If he had our D and our running game, his numbers would go down, but they would be an even scarier team in the long run and would have made it back to the SB and might have won several.

Marino was a nightmare to defend, the ultimate pocket passer with the physical traits, stuff between the ears and guts to destroy you. He had the quickest release I have ever seen. Probably the closest to a perfect quarterback specimen that has ever existed.

I would loved to have seen what Walsh could have done with a freak QB like Marino at his disposal.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by WildBill:

Marino was a nightmare to defend, the ultimate pocket passer with the physical traits, stuff between the ears and guts to destroy you. He had the quickest release I have ever seen. Probably the closest to a perfect quarterback specimen that has ever existed.

I would loved to have seen what Walsh could have done with a freak QB like Marino at his disposal.

True, except that I did not see the same calm, resolute demeanor Montana demonstrated. He could be rattled to some degree. Plus...he couldn't run...at all!
Marino was really fun to watch, especially against teams that blitzed a lot.. I compared Manning to Marino as far as ability to read and beat defenses...

While Favre was an awesome gun slinger, both Aikman and Young were QBs who were Feisty... Moon and Rogers threw the prettiest ball and spiral while Brady can make any players looks good...

But the bottom line is, JOE plays GREATER each time he faces a GREAT QB.. and regardless of his team, defense and no defense... JOE will find a way to win when the odds are against him...

Games where Joe and his team had no rights of Winning.

KC at Mile High (Monday Night)

KC at The House of Pain (AFC Playoffs)

KC vs SF

SF vs Bengals (SB 23)
KC had every reason to win the game against SF in 1994, reason #1 being that 4 starting offensive linemen were out and Young was brutalized by the KC defense all day.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Marino was really fun to watch, especially against teams that blitzed a lot.. I compared Manning to Marino as far as ability to read and beat defenses...

While Favre was an awesome gun slinger, both Aikman and Young were QBs who were Feisty... Moon and Rogers threw the prettiest ball and spiral while Brady can make any players looks good...

But the bottom line is, JOE plays GREATER each time he faces a GREAT QB.. and regardless of his team, defense and no defense... JOE will find a way to win when the odds are against him...

Games where Joe and his team had no rights of Winning.

KC at Mile High (Monday Night)

KC at The House of Pain (AFC Playoffs)

KC vs SF

SF vs Bengals (SB 23)

You could name about 15 games that Joe had no right winning for SF.

Most notably the Philly game

3September 24, 1989at Philadelphia Eagles W 38–28 when he was sacked 9 times.

The game where Joe beat the 9ers and Steve Young must have been particularly pleasing for our great Quaterback.

if we had traded Steve Young and kept Joe Montana, who knows what would have happened.
[ Edited by GoldenGateGlory on May 23, 2017 at 6:17 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
You could name about 15 games that Joe had no right winning for SF.

Most notably the Philly game

3September 24, 1989at Philadelphia Eagles W 38–28 when he was sacked 9 times.

The game where Joe beat the 9ers and Steve Young must have been particularly pleasing for our great Quaterback.

if we had traded Steve Young and kept Joe Montana, who knows what would have happened.

we would have beat dallas twice,. derick thomas would have been a game changer for our defense,.he would not have died and we never would have had to trade haley cuz young was gone.
I believe the Steve Young for Derrick Thomas trade almost happened.

Tbh, it would have helped both teams more.

We would have won another 3 Superbowls.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/21/sports/pro-football-chiefs-and-49ers-come-to-terms-on-montana-trade-at-last.html

As a result, Policy and the 49ers were in no particular hurry to complete a deal, and it did not help that Peterson and Policy feuded last year because of a failed Derrick Thomas-for-Young trade. The holdup was a mere second-round pick in 1993. The 49ers had agreed to package Montana and Whitmore for the Chiefs' first-round pick, but the Chiefs wanted that second-round pick and the 49ers wanted to give only a fourth-round pick.
Back on topic with actual Shanahan news lol.

Previous to his new HC job, he asked four young RBs who Marcus Allen was. Only one knew lol.

[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on May 23, 2017 at 11:01 PM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Back on topic with actual Shanahan news lol.

Previous to his new HC job, he asked four young RBs who Marcus Allen was. Only one knew lol.

It's interesting how he said he's installing his base offense, and then he plans on tweaking the base offense as the season wears on. One of the things I liked about Bills offense was that you didn't have to wholesale change the offense for radically different defenses. The bear 46 defense, the 4-3 and the 3-4 could all be handled by the same scheme, but just deepening certain routs or cutting them shorter. I still remember Walsh defeating the Buddy Ryan 46 by just asking the WR's and RB's to just cut their routes shorter than usual. Whalla, 23-0.

I'm really looking forward to how Kyle makes offensive adjustments in the 2nd half, when we are either winning or losing. I think that's the mark of a great head coach is the ability to make changes to the game plan and come out in the 2nd half and counter the adjustments the opposing team makes in the 2nd half. In the Superbowl against the Patriots, I think that's where he failed against Belicheat. Kyle failed to make adjustments and Belicheat did.
It's interesting how he said he's installing his base offense, and then he plans on tweaking the base offense as the season wears on. One of the things I liked about Bills offense was that you didn't have to wholesale change the offense for radically different defenses. The bear 46 defense, the 4-3 and the 3-4 could all be handled by the same scheme, but just deepening certain routs or cutting them shorter. I still remember Walsh defeating the Buddy Ryan 46 by just asking the WR's and RB's to just cut their routes shorter than usual. Whalla, 23-0.

I'm really looking forward to how Kyle makes offensive adjustments in the 2nd half, when we are either winning or losing. I think that's the mark of a great head coach is the ability to make changes to the game plan and come out in the 2nd half and counter the adjustments the opposing team makes in the 2nd half. In the Superbowl against the Patriots, I think that's where he failed against Belicheat. Kyle failed to make adjustments and Belicheat did.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:

A lot of things went wrong that 2nd half, but yeah the failure to adjust was big. I am sure Shanny knows now and the benefit is that it helps us in the long run.
Will we see WCO Mark 2?
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Here is the quintessential Bill Walsh triangle stretch play. "Z-In"....notice the different routes available to the Flanker (Z). It's a deep In vs Man and it has several options based on the type of zones.

The triangle here (Z-Y-FB) is basically the combination of a spacing concept (Z-Y) and a hook/comeback-flat concept (Z-FB). It's all just WCO goodness. The backside Post is to keep the defense honest in case they want to roll coverage on the concept side. While you may not see old school formations like this with Kyle, you'll see these concepts used in other formations.
[ Edited by Niners816 on May 24, 2017 at 4:53 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone