LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 234 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

The 1947 AAFC season was the 49ers' second season. It must have been 1946. Our first ever win was over the Miami Seahawks. Hence the rivalry.
Oh damn, Mike Shanahan has his own office and film studies on his iPad and gives Kyle and the coaches insight. Nice.

Secret free consultant.

Your dad's been here the couple times we've seen. Obviously, he's an observer. Is he, do you guys talk in shop much afterwards?

"No, we just talk about movies."

Is that right?

"No, I'm just joking. I'm not sure we talk about much other than football, because we enjoy it a lot. He loves football and he likes to be in a place where he can watch everything. He'll have an office attached to my office, so he just posts up in there and watches a lot of tape and comes out with ideas a lot and saying stuff. It's good to have as many eyes as possible looking at stuff. Especially on people that you think are talented at what they do and people you trust their opinions. I use any advice I can get from anyone."

Do you consider him part of your staff?

"No. It's, I think, he's enjoying life right now. He's got a pretty good deal in Denver and where he lives. He can help me out in other ways anyways without having to be here every day."

What areas, just a few months into this job, have you leaned on him so far and try to see, have there been any situations where you go to him for counsel?

"No. You know, it's been going so fast you don't have that much time always for phone conversations. It's real nice when as a first time head coach, trying to do the whole offensive thing and do all the head coach stuff too, you're going 1,000 miles an hour. Sometimes to see everything you've got to really slow things down and take your time to look at stuff and you don't always have that time as a head coach. It's nice when someone you know who thinks similar to you has a similar background and he just sits in a room all day and watches stuff. He doesn't have any other responsibilities. He can see some things that I'm not always seeing and just to bring things to light that maybe I missed or other people have missed. The more people you have who know what you're trying to do, watch stuff, there's always something to find. That's why all of us kind of go crazy with never feeling like we're done. There's something else to look at. The more you can get people in that situation, it's only a benefit."
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
The 1947 AAFC season was the 49ers' second season. It must have been 1946. Our first ever win was over the Miami Seahawks. Hence the rivalry.

Love hearing this!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh damn, Mike Shanahan has his own office and film studies on his iPad and gives Kyle and the coaches insight. Nice.

Secret free consultant.

Your dad's been here the couple times we've seen. Obviously, he's an observer. Is he, do you guys talk in shop much afterwards?

Is that right?

"No, I'm just joking. I'm not sure we talk about much other than football, because we enjoy it a lot. He loves football and he likes to be in a place where he can watch everything. He'll have an office attached to my office, so he just posts up in there and watches a lot of tape and comes out with ideas a lot and saying stuff. It's good to have as many eyes as possible looking at stuff. Especially on people that you think are talented at what they do and people you trust their opinions. I use any advice I can get from anyone."

"No. It's, I think, he's enjoying life right now. He's got a pretty good deal in Denver and where he lives. He can help me out in other ways anyways without having to be here every day."

What areas, just a few months into this job, have you leaned on him so far and try to see, have there been any situations where you go to him for counsel?

"No. You know, it's been going so fast you don't have that much time always for phone conversations. It's real nice when as a first time head coach, trying to do the whole offensive thing and do all the head coach stuff too, you're going 1,000 miles an hour. Sometimes to see everything you've got to really slow things down and take your time to look at stuff and you don't always have that time as a head coach. It's nice when someone you know who thinks similar to you has a similar background and he just sits in a room all day and watches stuff. He doesn't have any other responsibilities. He can see some things that I'm not always seeing and just to bring things to light that maybe I missed or other people have missed. The more people you have who know what you're trying to do, watch stuff, there's always something to find. That's why all of us kind of go crazy with never feeling like we're done. There's something else to look at. The more you can get people in that situation, it's only a benefit."

Secret and free consultant is right. Dang and what a consultant. 2 time super bowl winning coach and a master of the WCO. Mike Shanahan

link

Below is what Shanny [Mike Shanahan] had to say about the passing of Bill Walsh --

On the passing of Bill Walsh --
"I've had a few chances to talk to him a number of times in the last few months, and he's been going through a tough situation. Obviously when you have a great person, a great friend and a Hall of Fame coach pass away, it's always tough. "

On Walsh's effect on others --
"He's a great teacher. I never had the opportunity to actually coach for him, but I was around him a lot. I had a chance to talk to him about a number of different things. I just consider him a good friend. When we played the Raiders, I had a chance to talk to him for about 15 to 20 minutes, and over the last couple of weeks he's been going through a very tough time. He knew it was just a matter of time. Today is a really sad day. He was a great coach and a great teacher. He enjoyed teaching and it didn't matter what level it was. I don't care if he was teaching high school kids or quarterbacks three-to-five step drops, college kids, pro kids, he enjoyed it. He was very good at it, very smart. The best way to describe him is passionate about everything, and that's one of the reasons he was so successful. "

On being a part of his legacy --
"I never coached for him so it's hard, but being part of San Francisco, going in there and studying tapes for 10 years, and being a part of that organization with George Seifert, I feel that I am a part of it because I took a lot of his techniques and utilized them with our system. I've been with him a number of times and talked to him about football, and he's always included me, so I guess that's good."

On his memories of Walsh --
"I have a few memories. When I was a young coach when I was with the Raiders, we won a very close game, (9-3 - Nov. 13, 1988), and after that, the season was so-so, we went on to 6-5, and they were struggling that year. They (the 49ers) went on to win the Super Bowl. Obviously we didn't do very well, but I was a young coach coming in and to actually find a way to win against a coach like Bill Walsh was a dream come true even though the end of the season didn't work out that way. Bill was in the league 10 years but won three Super Bowls and I believe, 10 playoff games in that time."

On Walsh being an innovator --
"There's no question that he's a great innovator. He studied it. He worked at it. He tweaked around with a lot of different things and obviously, when you hear the west coast offense, you're going back to Bill Walsh and he's the one the started it."
[ Edited by Giedi on Jun 15, 2017 at 7:22 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

Secret free consultant.

Is that right?

Kyle needs to talk the old man into coaching up the QB's during off seasons. I know Kirk Cousins has put in offseason work with Chuckie who just so happens to be the brother of Cousins HC.

Could go a long way towards helping these QB's with their development and knowledge of the offense.
With today's modern technology, Skype and live streaming itself.. Mike is a legit assistant coach and I think he's made it a personal ONE LAST football goal with Kyle to setup a successful foundation and team. His son is going to get the glory along with Lynch, but he's gonna get just as much satisfaction because low key he is part of the team. This is possibly the most under the radar benefit we could've have all off season.
With technology; Anyone could be an assist coach and they don't even need to attend one training session.
"He's the smartest coach I've been around." -- Joe Staley on Kyle Shanahan

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/875116398954954752
SANTA CLARA -- Five-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Staley confirmed Wednesday what appeared obvious for the past several seasons inside the 49ers' locker room.

Many of the players were not having a whole lot of fun working in some of the previous 49ers regimes. But, now, Staley said there is clearly a purpose within the 49ers, and he feels a rebirth.

"The energy is back in the building, the excitement level, the attention to detail," Staley said just moments after the 49ers' final practice of the offseason program.

"This might sound kind of bad, but I'm enjoying football again. I'm excited to come to work every single day. The last couple of years, there were days when I couldn't honestly say that. That's awesome to have that feeling back."

The biggest reason for Staley's renewed enthusiasm, he said, is coach Kyle Shanahan, whom he called "the smartest coach I've been around."

First, Shanahan impressed Staley with his honesty. He kept tight end Vance McDonald in the loop when there were trade talks during the weekend of the draft. And Staley said he holds all players to the same high standards.

"He calls out myself and (NaVorro) Bowman the same way he calls out a rookie free agent," Staley said. "No one's above anybody."

Players on both sides of the ball have expressed their amazement with Shanahan's unique ability to break down a play from the perspectives of every player on offense and defense.

Staley said he had one of those moments Wednesday during a team meeting when Shanahan dissected plays for both sides of the ball.

Said Staley, "Even today we had a meeting, and I looked over at (Daniel) Kilgore – I was sitting next to him in a team meeting – and (said), 'This is awesome.' You get chills, almost.

"It's cool to see football talked about that way. Instead, of 'Hey, you have to do your job.' 'OK. Yes, sir.' 'Why do I have to do my job?'"

Staley said Shanahan is able to pinpoint the details of every play that determine why it is successful and articulate it in an easy-to-follow manner.

Staley has been familar with Shanahan's system for a while, he said. He has watched film of offensive tackles Trent Williams and Joe Thomas, who played in Shanahan's offenses with Washington and Cleveland, respectively.

"I felt I'd be a good fit," Staley said. "(I'm) excited, but kind of bummed it's happening in Year 11, and not Year 4 or 3 or 1."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/staleys-reaction-new-49ers-regime-im-enjoying-football-again

I'm sure he's just praising Shanahan, it's not a dig at harbaugh or anyone else. Possibly Tomsula, but he did fart at a press conf so.....

Lol at Lol.
Yeah, like Staley said, it's not about the offense itself but rather how the plays are called in sequence. That's what makes Kyle Bill Walsh-like. That ability to call the right sequence of plays to set others up while also teaching both the offensive and defensive goals on each play and breaking down WHY each player fits and their importance...how each player fits into the system.

I loved how he explained how the left slot WR is the key on a run to the right. So now the WR's are selling out as hard on their run blocking as their route running.

I love this!
Kyle has Bill Walsh's brain.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"He's the smartest coach I've been around." -- Joe Staley on Kyle Shanahan

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/875116398954954752

Shots fired at Jim Tomsula.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:
Kyle has Bill Walsh's brain.

This

I hope
Share 49ersWebzone