LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 231 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, like Staley said, it's not about the offense itself but rather how the plays are called in sequence. That's what makes Kyle Bill Walsh-like. That ability to call the right sequence of plays to set others up while also teaching both the offensive and defensive goals on each play and breaking down WHY each player fits and their importance...how each player fits into the system.

I loved how he explained how the left slot WR is the key on a run to the right. So now the WR's are selling out as hard on their run blocking as their route running.

I love this!

Agreed. Great to hear this kind of stuff from the players
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"He's the smartest coach I've been around." -- Joe Staley on Kyle Shanahan

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/875116398954954752

Shots fired at Jim Tomsula.

Thanks man... just spit my coffee out.
Yeah, like Staley said, it's not about the offense itself but rather how the plays are called in sequence. That's what makes Kyle Bill Walsh-like. That ability to call the right sequence of plays to set others up while also teaching both the offensive and defensive goals on each play and breaking down WHY each player fits and their importance...how each player fits into the system.

I loved how he explained how the left slot WR is the key on a run to the right. So now the WR's are selling out as hard on their run blocking as their route running.

I love this!

Yup we haven't seen that done ...calling plays in sequence to set up other plays...since, well, unhh...no, not tomsul, not Chip, not harbaw, not sing, nor er-WRECK-son, noln,....ah heck, back to Walsh days . Seifert , of course , had some very good OCs, and Mooch could sequence plays well. But since Walsh we have not had someone who truly had the talent at HC to truly sequence plays so that one sets up another. Anybody that doesn't see that , may very well not be old enough to have seen the unique ways Coach BW could call plays which then set up other plays. How many HCs currently do that? List is pretty short, but top of the heap is Bellichek. And there are others, but watching Kyle last yr, the guy he made you think of was Coach Walsh. And if you want to go into a season with a good thot, there it is. And if you don't think WRs, TEs, RBs like Juice who will get lots of passes are ecstatic about this....well, then I've got a bridge in AZ to sell you.

For that matter, the entire OL has to be jazzed also. Just more ways to get the upper hand on opponent's Ds.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 15, 2017 at 7:12 AM ]

Thanks man... just spit my coffee out.

Some say Tomsula is still looking up at the jumbotron confused to this day.

And the Wood Chipper...

...and the sideline ballerina...

...and the coach with the bad moon rising...

...and Dick Nolans boy.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yup we haven't seen that done ...calling plays in sequence to set up other plays...since, well, unhh...no, not tomsul, not Chip, not harbaw, not sing, nor er-WRECK-son, noln,....ah heck, back to Walsh days . Seifert , of course , had some very good OCs, and Mooch could sequence plays well. But since Walsh we have not had someone who truly had the talent at HC to truly sequence plays so that one sets up another. Anybody that doesn't see that , may very well not be old enough to have seen the unique ways Coach BW could call plays which then set up other plays. How many HCs currently do that? List is pretty short, but top of the heap is Bellichek. And there are others, but watching Kyle last yr, the guy he made you think of was Coach Walsh. And if you want to go into a season with a good thot, there it is. And if you don't think WRs, TEs, RBs like Juice who will get lots of passes are ecstatic about this....well, then I've got a bridge in AZ to sell you.

For that matter, the entire OL has to be jazzed also. Just more ways to get the upper hand on opponent's Ds.

Not much in the way of purposeful sequential play calling when the previous qb can't handle a fully developed pro style offense. Given zone read and read option, with -either or- decision making on run or throw, dependent on a couple of guys on defense. Then he also has a propensity to be slow on the recognition and do his own s**t and not staying within the offense.

The previous coaches cornered themselves into a herky jerky offense, neither here or there, by staying with the guy. You would get a guy like Boldin getting 200yrds game and the rest of the other guys get 1 or 2 catches if they are lucky. A 150yrds of offense in the first half and then 70 total yards in the second half.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Not much in the way of purposeful sequential play calling when the previous qb can't handle a fully developed pro style offense. Given zone read and read option, with -either or- decision making on run or throw, dependent on a couple of guys on defense. Then he also has a propensity to be slow on the recognition and do his own s**t and not staying within the offense.

The previous coaches cornered themselves into a herky jerky offense, neither here or there, by staying with the guy. You would get a guy like Boldin getting 200yrds game and the rest of the other guys get 1 or 2 catches if they are lucky. A 150yrds of offense in the first half and then 70 total yards in the second half.

All too true, qnn.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

My own pet peeve with the previous Head Coaches was a stubbornness on the offensive side. I think one of the big reasons the 49ers and Jim never got the extension was because of Greg Roman and his offense. I think the front office wanted Harbaugh to get a new OC that was more west coast rather than bo shembechler. To be fair, the offensive drafting on the WR side had been atrocious - so Greg had to rely more on the run game. Finally, I don't think Harbuagh ever got the players he wanted - there was a tussel at the end about Harbaugh going on TV and saying the GM should pay so and so his money... etc... The fact that Kyle said he wanted Joe Williams, and got him, is a big deal to me after John removed Joe from his draft board. Now Kyle can run his offense and get the defense he wants. It's all on Kyle now. So far I'm liking how he's approaching the offense - so that the players can be more flexible on the field and change things up or see things that the coaches are missing to adjust the offense to counter the defense. The more your players know, the better they will be from an offensive point of view. I think our previous OC"s never really developed the mental side of the players, and the mental game is very important to the WCO.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I love this!

My biggest worry about Kyle was not his offense, but his defense. After I read that he couldn't get Fangio, and hired Saleh, I thought oh boy another Chuck Studly hire (he was let go after our first super bowl). But after I read that article about Kyle knowing not only offense, but defense, I think I'm confident he's hired a DC that is promising. The key to defense is getting the players, and if there is anything that Seifert did that really affected us was his inability to draft good defensive players like a Dean, Lott etc.. He did get BY and Stubby, but those were few and far between. Seifert could never have pulled off a '86 draft like Walsh could. But the 2017 draft felt almost like the '86 draft. Lo and Behold - Peter King was in that draft room with Walsh apparently.

link

The 1986 draft was one such time, as they landed five starters and three important reserves from what at the time was a 12-round draft. Peter King was embedded with the 49ers on draft day, and he put together a great rundown of the team's maneuverings those two days. I am not a huge Peter King fan because of how close he can be to the league, but that relationship has opened numerous doors for him to get some great insight. I don't care for his attempts at analysis, but his stature allows him to get facts a lot of people just can't get access to on a regular basis.

Originally posted by Giedi:

My own pet peeve with the previous Head Coaches was a stubbornness on the offensive side. I think one of the big reasons the 49ers and Jim never got the extension was because of Greg Roman and his offense. I think the front office wanted Harbaugh to get a new OC that was more west coast rather than bo shembechler. To be fair, the offensive drafting on the WR side had been atrocious - so Greg had to rely more on the run game. Finally, I don't think Harbuagh ever got the players he wanted - there was a tussel at the end about Harbaugh going on TV and saying the GM should pay so and so his money... etc... The fact that Kyle said he wanted Joe Williams, and got him, is a big deal to me after John removed Joe from his draft board. Now Kyle can run his offense and get the defense he wants. It's all on Kyle now. So far I'm liking how he's approaching the offense - so that the players can be more flexible on the field and change things up or see things that the coaches are missing to adjust the offense to counter the defense. The more your players know, the better they will be from an offensive point of view. I think our previous OC"s never really developed the mental side of the players, and the mental game is very important to the WCO.

For sure. Totally opposite offensive philosophy and system and coaching and play calling within it.

It was so refreshing to hear Kyle talk about properly using Goodwin's speed...adding new routes for him and lining him up all over the place rather than just doing our f**king sideline go-route that we never attempted with deep-threat players like Moss and Ginn.

He noted that we have to at least attempt them to ensure the defense remains honest and that respected speed can open up the offense for everyone underneath as well as for Goodwin himself by hitting homeruns when a DB does squat on him and by moving him around to maximize, at least, his threat ability.

Night and day difference.

Speed is NOT just a decoy anymore that eventually, the defense ignores and crept 10 men in the box because they KNEW we'd never attempt it.

For sure. Totally opposite offensive philosophy and system and coaching and play calling within it.

It was so refreshing to hear Kyle talk about properly using Goodwin's speed...adding new routes for him and lining him up all over the place rather than just doing our f**king sideline go-route that we never attempted with deep-threat players like Moss and Ginn.

He noted that we have to at least attempt them to ensure the defense remains honest and that respected speed can open up the offense for everyone underneath as well as for Goodwin himself by hitting homeruns when a DB does squat on him and by moving him around to maximize, at least, his threat ability.

Speed is NOT just a decoy anymore that eventually, the defense ignores and crept 10 men in the box because they KNEW we'd never attempt it.

lol Ginn was the Panthers leading WR at 739 yds in 2015. They actually threw the ball to him.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 15, 2017 at 8:50 AM ]

I love this!

My biggest worry about Kyle was not his offense, but his defense. After I read that he couldn't get Fangio, and hired Saleh, I thought oh boy another Chuck Studly hire (he was let go after our first super bowl). But after I read that article about Kyle knowing not only offense, but defense, I think I'm confident he's hired a DC that is promising. The key to defense is getting the players, and if there is anything that Seifert did that really affected us was his inability to draft good defensive players like a Dean, Lott etc.. He did get BY and Stubby, but those were few and far between. Seifert could never have pulled off a '86 draft like Walsh could. But the 2017 draft felt almost like the '86 draft. Lo and Behold - Peter King was in that draft room with Walsh apparently.

link

The 1986 draft was one such time, as they landed five starters and three important reserves from what at the time was a 12-round draft. Peter King was embedded with the 49ers on draft day, and he put together a great rundown of the team's maneuverings those two days. I am not a huge Peter King fan because of how close he can be to the league, but that relationship has opened numerous doors for him to get some great insight. I don't care for his attempts at analysis, but his stature allows him to get facts a lot of people just can't get access to on a regular basis.

When Kyle first hired Saleh, it felt very underwhelming but also understandable in the context of how late in the game Kyle got to assemble a staff. As more and more has come available on Saleh, he reminds me of Brian Flores with the Pats. His name is just starting​ to take recognition but going all the way back to his days in Seattle when he wasn't even a full blown position coach yet, apparently he was still praised by his players for his leadership, communication, intelligence, and high energy. Players whispered back then that he was a future head coach in the waiting​. Moreso than ever Saleh is beginning to look like a better hire every day. His real test will come in September when he has to start game planning and calling plays against some of the NFL's best, brightest, and more experienced coordinators, but so far so good. Saleh is at least carving out a name for himself in the present and building some momentum towards that point.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah, when he was talking about Goodwin, man he sounded like Walsh. Remember Renaldo?

Link.

There is no question who he wanted with his first NF pick. It was James Owens, a world-class hurdler from UCLA whom Walsh was going to convert from running back to wide receiver. Walsh had a fascination with track stars and a few years later would sign Renaldo Nehemiah, another hurdler, to a free-agent contract.
Yeah, when he was talking about Goodwin, man he sounded like Walsh. Remember Renaldo?

Link.

There is no question who he wanted with his first NF pick. It was James Owens, a world-class hurdler from UCLA whom Walsh was going to convert from running back to wide receiver. Walsh had a fascination with track stars and a few years later would sign Renaldo Nehemiah, another hurdler, to a free-agent contract.

Wow, you got me on that one. Great memory!
Share 49ersWebzone