Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, like Staley said, it's not about the offense itself but rather how the plays are called in sequence. That's what makes Kyle Bill Walsh-like. That ability to call the right sequence of plays to set others up while also teaching both the offensive and defensive goals on each play and breaking down WHY each player fits and their importance...how each player fits into the system.

I loved how he explained how the left slot WR is the key on a run to the right. So now the WR's are selling out as hard on their run blocking as their route running.

I love this!

Yup we haven't seen that done ...calling plays in sequence to set up other plays...since, well, unhh...no, not tomsul, not Chip, not harbaw, not sing, nor er-WRECK-son, noln,....ah heck, back to Walsh days . Seifert , of course , had some very good OCs, and Mooch could sequence plays well. But since Walsh we have not had someone who truly had the talent at HC to truly sequence plays so that one sets up another. Anybody that doesn't see that , may very well not be old enough to have seen the unique ways Coach BW could call plays which then set up other plays. How many HCs currently do that? List is pretty short, but top of the heap is Bellichek. And there are others, but watching Kyle last yr, the guy he made you think of was Coach Walsh. And if you want to go into a season with a good thot, there it is. And if you don't think WRs, TEs, RBs like Juice who will get lots of passes are ecstatic about this....well, then I've got a bridge in AZ to sell you.

For that matter, the entire OL has to be jazzed also. Just more ways to get the upper hand on opponent's Ds.

My biggest worry about Kyle was not his offense, but his defense. After I read that he couldn't get Fangio, and hired Saleh, I thought oh boy another Chuck Studly hire (he was let go after our first super bowl). But after I read that article about Kyle knowing not only offense, but defense, I think I'm confident he's hired a DC that is promising. The key to defense is getting the players, and if there is anything that Seifert did that really affected us was his inability to draft good defensive players like a Dean, Lott etc.. He did get BY and Stubby, but those were few and far between. Seifert could never have pulled off a '86 draft like Walsh could. But the 2017 draft felt almost like the '86 draft. Lo and Behold - Peter King was in that draft room with Walsh apparently.

link

The 1986 draft was one such time, as they landed five starters and three important reserves from what at the time was a 12-round draft. Peter King was embedded with the 49ers on draft day, and he put together a great rundown of the team's maneuverings those two days. I am not a huge Peter King fan because of how close he can be to the league, but that relationship has opened numerous doors for him to get some great insight. I don't care for his attempts at analysis, but his stature allows him to get facts a lot of people just can't get access to on a regular basis.

When Kyle first hired Saleh, it felt very underwhelming but also understandable in the context of how late in the game Kyle got to assemble a staff. As more and more has come available on Saleh, he reminds me of Brian Flores with the Pats. His name is just starting​ to take recognition but going all the way back to his days in Seattle when he wasn't even a full blown position coach yet, apparently he was still praised by his players for his leadership, communication, intelligence, and high energy. Players whispered back then that he was a future head coach in the waiting​. Moreso than ever Saleh is beginning to look like a better hire every day. His real test will come in September when he has to start game planning and calling plays against some of the NFL's best, brightest, and more experienced coordinators, but so far so good. Saleh is at least carving out a name for himself in the present and building some momentum towards that point.

I agree. Brian Flores has been a great linebacker's coach for Bellicheat. I think he's had the same kind of mindset and bright football mind that Dan Quinn had, when he was D Line coach for us back early in the turn of this century. What I'd like to happen is as Saleh becomes more experienced in the 4-3 under, this defense morphs into a 4-3 under/3-4 zone blitz. I think one reason Saleh was hired is because he's a linebacker coach and the key to making a 3-4 zone blitz is those linebackers blitzing from different positions. Fangio is one of the best in the 3-4 zone blitz and the 4-3 under isn' t too far from that kind of scheme. Saleh can always call on George Siefert, I'm sure, if he wanted tutoring on the 3-4. I'm betting this next couple of weeks Saleh's calling every defensive coach he's had contact with to polish his skills. I wouldn't put it past him to give 'ol George a call, and he can get Seifert's phone number from Mike Shanahan.
For sure. Totally opposite offensive philosophy and system and coaching and play calling within it.

It was so refreshing to hear Kyle talk about properly using Goodwin's speed...adding new routes for him and lining him up all over the place rather than just doing our f**king sideline go-route that we never attempted with deep-threat players like Moss and Ginn.

He noted that we have to at least attempt them to ensure the defense remains honest and that respected speed can open up the offense for everyone underneath as well as for Goodwin himself by hitting homeruns when a DB does squat on him and by moving him around to maximize, at least, his threat ability.

Night and day difference.

Speed is NOT just a decoy anymore that eventually, the defense ignores and crept 10 men in the box because they KNEW we'd never attempt it.

Well said. So many under-utilized receivers over the last ten years. Not that we were stocking up on Jerry Rice/TO clones, but there has been some talent. It just never got molded properly.
We need a scheme where any wide receiver can just walk in and get a 1,000 yard season; like the New England Patriots have.
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:
For sure. Totally opposite offensive philosophy and system and coaching and play calling within it.

It was so refreshing to hear Kyle talk about properly using Goodwin's speed...adding new routes for him and lining him up all over the place rather than just doing our f**king sideline go-route that we never attempted with deep-threat players like Moss and Ginn.

He noted that we have to at least attempt them to ensure the defense remains honest and that respected speed can open up the offense for everyone underneath as well as for Goodwin himself by hitting homeruns when a DB does squat on him and by moving him around to maximize, at least, his threat ability.

Night and day difference.

Speed is NOT just a decoy anymore that eventually, the defense ignores and crept 10 men in the box because they KNEW we'd never attempt it.

Well said. So many under-utilized receivers over the last ten years. Not that we were stocking up on Jerry Rice/TO clones, but there has been some talent. It just never got molded properly.

Thinking back, did we develop one WR? Crabtree? He certainly never reached a top 10 pick IMHO.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 15, 2017 at 4:35 PM ]
Crabtree was fine when Kaep was at his brilliant best ie the New England Patriots game at home.

The problem was Crabtree picked and chose when he wanted to play.

A lot of this is about the coach engaging the player so he plays every down; all the time and doesn't have a mental wander.

Remember we have shown and we have proven that it is a mental game.

Skill and talent are less important.
Crabs always felt he was in garbage schemes in a run powered offenses with inconsistent QB play besides zone read window.he was also young so i understand. Its a business as well folks.
Well SC; he kind of was.
You gotta love any play call that has "...burner, burst" lingo in it.

http://m.49ers.com/video/videos/Midd-Up-QB-Brian-Hoyer-at-49ers-Minicamp/1213bbbc-fd4e-4652-8a79-8c124e02a36c

LOL at Juice calling Hulikini, "Dirty Martini"

Where's moon? Ha
You gotta love any play call that has "...burner, burst" lingo in it.

http://m.49ers.com/video/videos/Midd-Up-QB-Brian-Hoyer-at-49ers-Minicamp/1213bbbc-fd4e-4652-8a79-8c124e02a36c

LOL at Juice calling Hulikini, "Dirty Martini"

Where's moon? Ha

It looks like Hoyer has not trouble whatsoever running the offense
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
"He's the smartest coach I've been around." -- Joe Staley on Kyle Shanahan

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/status/875116398954954752

Shots fired at Jim Tomsula.

[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Jun 16, 2017 at 11:13 AM ]

Hey Kyle make sure you peep this in case this happens again. Smart move by Packers

Kevin King used FaceTime sessions with Packers cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt to keep up while an NFL rule prohibited him from attending organized team activities. Whitt used a whiteboard in his office to show the second-round pick what his teammates were learning during the eight installation practices he missed.

King worked out in Oakland and stayed in his playbook until this week when the University of Washington's finals ended, allowing him to practice.

"I wanted to be here with everybody with the other guys going through OTAs and everything," King said, via
Wes Hodkiewicz of the team website. "Of course, I want to be out there. The rules didn't allow it. I did everything I could. I did my part."

King worked primarily on fundamentals and conditioning during the three-day minicamp, with the Packers holding him out of team drills. His sessions with Whitt over FaceTime proved beneficial.

"Once I realized I could get an angle [on my phone] where he could see me on the board, it was just like being in my meeting room," Whitt said. "He had his iPad so we could discuss things through the PowerPoints that way."
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Kyle seems to know good coaches. My hope is that one day half the nfl Head Coaches comes from the Kyle Shanahan tree.

LInk

"I thought he was just an o-line guy at first because I didn't know him," he said. "And then he starts asking me questions about plays I ran, like, six years ago. And I start to wonder, 'Who is this guy?' It was obvious he knows what he's talking about, and now I'm interested. He learned it for himself, and that's how good coaches are. They just don't memorize what someone said. They want to know why it works, how to coach it, how players see it."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article156739294.html#storylink=cpy
Originally posted by Giedi:
Kyle seems to know good coaches. My hope is that one day half the nfl Head Coaches comes from the Kyle Shanahan tree.

LInk

"I thought he was just an o-line guy at first because I didn't know him," he said. "And then he starts asking me questions about plays I ran, like, six years ago. And I start to wonder, 'Who is this guy?' It was obvious he knows what he's talking about, and now I'm interested. He learned it for himself, and that's how good coaches are. They just don't memorize what someone said. They want to know why it works, how to coach it, how players see it."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article156739294.html#storylink=cpy

Nice article. I always enjoy reading up on position coaches. They don't typically get the kind of allure that the coordinators get, but are just as pivotal to a team's success. Both Embree and Bobby Turner are well respected​ coaches. The rest of Kyle's offensive staff probably don't have quite as much name value as those two but they've all been around Kyle before and have a good understanding​ of his system. That is already an underrated plus. It is easier for assistant coaches to teach a scheme that they already know and are comfortable with, as opposed to having to learn first themselves

I'm happy with the offensive staff we have. Guys like Kyle who are detail oriented football nerds, always surround themselves with likewise similar smart people. I am more optimistic now than I have been in a few years that we now have a staff that above just teaching talent, has a plan, a direction, and are familiar with each other, giving a sense of camaraderie amongst them. I'm excited for our near future and how it unfolds.
Lets give Kyle a couple of years as it takes that long to turn a Franchise around.
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Nice article. I always enjoy reading up on position coaches. They don't typically get the kind of allure that the coordinators get, but are just as pivotal to a team's success. Both Embree and Bobby Turner are well respected​ coaches. The rest of Kyle's offensive staff probably don't have quite as much name value as those two but they've all been around Kyle before and have a good understanding​ of his system. That is already an underrated plus. It is easier for assistant coaches to teach a scheme that they already know and are comfortable with, as opposed to having to learn first themselves

I'm happy with the offensive staff we have. Guys like Kyle who are detail oriented football nerds, always surround themselves with likewise similar smart people. I am more optimistic now than I have been in a few years that we now have a staff that above just teaching talent, has a plan, a direction, and are familiar with each other, giving a sense of camaraderie amongst them. I'm excited for our near future and how it unfolds.

This is the most optimistic I've been in 15 years despite knowing it's going to take some time.
Share 49ersWebzone