LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 263 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

So if we go backwards and lose a couple of games don't lose that optimism..

It is gonna be two step forwards and one step back.

There are gonna be games we lose.

But please remember the big picture.
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:

[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 18, 2017 at 6:09 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by GoldenGateGlory:

Let's lose a lot this year. No reason to win now when it mean nothing.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
You gotta love any play call that has "...burner, burst" lingo in it.

http://m.49ers.com/video/videos/Midd-Up-QB-Brian-Hoyer-at-49ers-Minicamp/1213bbbc-fd4e-4652-8a79-8c124e02a36c

LOL at Juice calling Hulikini, "Dirty Martini"

Where's moon? Ha

It looks like Hoyer has not trouble whatsoever running the offense

Yup...

"When you look at -- starting with Brian -- you got a guy who knows how to play the position. He stays in the pocket. He's not scared of the rush. He'll keep his eyes downfield and he can execute an offense delivering the ball to people. And I saw the same with Barkley. (He) hasn't had as much playing time as Hoyer but I thought he had his best year with Chicago in the two games that he got in before he got hurt.

"So I like looking at guys who can run an offense. And when you got guys who can run and offense and put the ball in the right spot and attack coverages, then it's about building the team around them. And our situation here, starting with free agency and then going into the draft, I feel we did a real good job of that with John Lynch and all the people upstairs and the personnel department. I think we've turned over this team as much as we can here in just the few months we've been together and we plan on always doing that.

"We're always going to look for the best guy. (We) got a lot of confidence in Brian. I have a lot of confidence in Matt Barkley. (I) got a lot of confidence in C.J. Beathard, who we drafted. And then (Nick) Mullens, we got as a free agent. I think we've got a bunch of guys here who have given some good competition."

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/106801-kyle-shanahan-never-want-compete-year-expense-future/
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 18, 2017 at 8:00 PM ]
This!

I want to compete every year," Shanahan added. "But you never want to compete in one year at the expense of your future. I feel the situation that the Yorks have given us, we can make the right decisions. I'm always going to try to be an aggressive type of decision maker where you make the decision that improves your team right away but never at the expense of the future. And that's what we're trying to do through this process."

He gets it, It's a process. I want to be competitive, but not at the expense of costing us a chance at getting a FQB....winning enough games to be just out of reach for a game-changer is a great way to be the bills or a Jeff fisher run team .I'm fine with sucking one more yr, as long as the games are competitive...no 32nd ranked defense and 31st ranked offense s**t though.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This!

I want to compete every year," Shanahan added. "But you never want to compete in one year at the expense of your future. I feel the situation that the Yorks have given us, we can make the right decisions. I'm always going to try to be an aggressive type of decision maker where you make the decision that improves your team right away but never at the expense of the future. And that's what we're trying to do through this process."

He gets it, It's a process. I want to be competitive, but not at the expense of costing us a chance at getting a FQB....winning enough games to be just out of reach for a game-changer is a great way to be the bills or a Jeff fisher run team .I'm fine with sucking one more yr, as long as the games are competitive...no 32nd ranked defense and 31st ranked offense s**t though.

Amen to that!
This!

NY, i understand what you are saying here, and why. But my take is that these two guys, John and kyle, are going to go all out to win every single last game they can, and the LT results of that be damned. I just don't see them dogging it to win a few less games. Now, if it is last 1/3 of season, and we are way out of it already, sure i could see them playing guys who are question marks for next yr and playing a lower caliber player....but not to lose but to find out any info they can about that particular player...or players.

If they have a shot at going 9-7 instead of 7-9, I think they go for it....the winning record , that is. If it is a matter of going 7-9 vs 4-10, sure i could see them start CJ for the last 3 or 4 games. But overall, they will NOT be going about this half hearted, or playing just well enough to lose. I think they bust their backsides to win as many as possible. If it gets us near the playoffs, with a draft pick somewhere 20-24...then i think they go for the better record and shot at playoffs.,,even with a much lesser first pick in draft. The beneficial mental /psychological effects , especially on guys like Joe S, are not to be discounted. That is, winning breeds more winning.

You could be as right as i am, but i just don't see these guys settling for anything less than the max wins they can get. If they can squeeze 9 Ws out of the season, even with no playoffs, i still think they go full steam ahead. Why? Because that is the way these two guys compete....pedal to the floor, and no brakes.

Admittedly , i could be all wrong and you 100% correct. It will be fascinating to see how they handle the # of Ws issue. Obviously if we come out of the gate like a rocket, (not that likely), then it may very well change their decisions on how they want to play it. But overall...i see these guys taking no prisoners and trying to win every single game we play. Their very wise decision NOT to go all in on a FR QB(when there was none), and same for #1 WR, allowed us to build OL, receiving corps(minus the #1), RBs(incl Juice), DL, LBs, CBs/S instead. That means that they passed on the best of not very good QB class and #1 WR to better the rest of the team. But for Ws...unless we are already out of it by game 9, i think they try to win every single one. If we are at 3 Ws after game 9 or 10...yes, then sure, play CJ on out and see what he has...and let the Ls pile up. But if we have even the minutest chance of getting in or near the playoffs...i think they go all in on that...ie, max out on Ws.

I just don't think either of our two head guys will settle for anything other than a W, even if it hurts us in draft. They are both young, smart, hopeful, and hell bent on winning it all. Neither one strikes me as playing anything less than the best we can do. To date , it would seem that kind of thinking is just not in their DNA.

Note: your point about the Bills and or Jeff Fisher, is well taken.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 19, 2017 at 7:09 AM ]
This!

Amen to that!

It's about freaking time Jed understands the process...now fans need to get it lol
This!

Amen to that!

It's about freaking time Jed understands the process...now fans need to get it lol

Kyle knows best. And it obviously explains why the draft went the way it did.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NY, i understand what you are saying here, and why. But my take is that these two guys, John and kyle, are going to go all out to win every single last game they can, and the LT results of that be damned. I just don't see them dogging it to win a few less games. Now, if it is last 1/3 of season, and we are way out of it already, sure i could see them playing guys who are question marks for next yr and playing a lower caliber player....but not to lose but to find out any info they can about that particular player...or players.

If they have a shot at going 9-7 instead of 7-9, I think they go for it....the winning record , that is. If it is a matter of going 7-9 vs 4-10, sure i could see them start CJ for the last 3 or 4 games. But overall, they will NOT be going about this half hearted, or playing just well enough to lose. I think they bust their backsides to win as many as possible. If it gets us near the playoffs, with a draft pick somewhere 20-24...then i think they go for the better record and shot at playoffs.,,even with a much lesser first pick in draft. The beneficial mental /psychological effects , especially on guys like Joe S, are not to be discounted. That is, winning breeds more winning.

You could be as right as i am, but i just don't see these guys settling for anything less than the max wins they can get. If they can squeeze 9 Ws out of the season, even with no playoffs, i still think they go full steam ahead. Why? Because that is the way these two guys compete....pedal to the floor, and no brakes.

Admittedly , i could be all wrong and you 100% correct. It will be fascinating to see how they handle the # of Ws issue. Obviously if we come out of the gate like a rocket, (not that likely), then it may very well change their decisions on how they want to play it. But overall...i see these guys taking no prisoners and trying to win every single game we play. Their very wise decision NOT to go all in on a FR QB(when there was none), and same for #1 WR, allowed us to build OL, receiving corps(minus the #1), RBs(incl Juice), DL, LBs, CBs/S instead. That means that they passed on the best of not very good QB class and #1 WR to better the rest of the team. But for Ws...unless we are already out of it by game 9, i think they try to win every single one. If we are at 3 Ws after game 9 or 10...yes, then sure, play CJ on out and see what he has...and let the Ls pile up. But if we have even the minutest chance of getting in or near the playoffs...i think they go all in on that...ie, max out on Ws.

I just don't think either of our two head guys will settle for anything other than a W, even if it hurts us in draft. They are both young, smart, hopeful, and hell bent on winning it all. Neither one strikes me as playing anything less than the best we can do. To date , it would seem that kind of thinking is just not in their DNA.

Note: your point about the Bills and or Jeff Fisher, is well taken.

I never stated they'd be tanking....but they won't be jeopardizing their future to win 7 games. What's the point in going .500 with Hoyer? He's not the future and I sure as hell don't want to be the Niners from 2003-2010 and I doubt most fans want that. I'd rather let CJ play at some point this yr to see what we have.

No doubt they want to win, but they're allowed to take the long-term approach, which end of the day is the smart approach imo. We're looking at a possible QB draft that could rank with the 2004 draft (Eli, Rivers, Big Ben).

Fans need to trust the process because I'm in it long-term and could careless about going 7-9 or 8-8...I want to win chips and that's not happening with our current QB corps.

I'm glad Kyle sees this...."But you never want to compete in one year at the expense of your future. I feel the situation that the Yorks have given us, we can make the right decisions. I'm always going to try to be an aggressive type of decision maker where you make the decision that improves your team right away but never at the expense of the future. And that's what we're trying to do through this process."
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

For real! Last thing I want to hear is fans b***hing this yr about winning 4 games.
Kyle has clearly marked himself as a player magnet ;)

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/Goodwin-I-Always-Wanted-to-Play-for-Shanahan/02125ba8-059c-4852-a60f-e42d725be92f
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Let's lose a lot this year. No reason to win now when it mean nothing.

As a former member of the organization put it: "Kyle b***hes about everything, and then his father has to fix it. He b***hes about the food in the cafeteria, he b***hes about the field, he b***hes about the equipment. He complains and then Mike takes care of it. Kyle is a big problem there. He is not well liked."
Several members of the organization said Kyle Shanahan was a cause of internal strife, surrounding himself with young coaches with inferior experience, and allowing for no checks and balances of outside voices in the offensive coaching rooms.

"Kyle's not that confident, so they set him up with a bunch of yes men rather than have some experienced coaches to push him. It's like Kyle is the pied piper and these kids just follow him around. I mean, Mike has been a head coach for 20 years -- usually a guy like that has a posse he can bring with him. So he's got Bobby Turner (running backs coach) here, and Slowik, and that's it. How does that happen? How does he end up hiring all of his son's buddies?
"What Mike has allowed to happen there, with that staff, there is no excuse for. There are guys on that staff who are just not qualified, and it shows up. Have you seen the quarterback develop? Look at (defensive ends Brian) Orakpo and (Ryan) Kerrigan? Are they progressing or regressing? Are you seeing the offensive lineman they drafted making it to the field?' How many players are getting the kind of NFL coaching you'd expect on that staff?"
The Redskins have had a succession of first-time wide receivers coaches on this staff, and the offensive staff has generally been devoid of experience other than Turner. Most of the offensive staff had less than two years of NFL experience before coming to Washington and even in those cases the two years weren't as actual position coaches, but as offensive assistants and low-level help.

Quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur worked with Kyle Shanahan in Houston and had only two years experience as an "offensive assistant" with the Texans prior to becoming the Redskins QB coach. Similarly, receivers coach Mike McDaniel was a lower-level assistant on the Texans staff before coming to Washington. Tight ends coach Sean McVay's only prior NFL experience to joining Washington came in 2008 as an offensive assistant in Tampa.
"McVay is really the only one of those kids qualified to do what he's doing," said one member of the organization.

lol at the BS thrown at Kyle's way several years ago.
Share 49ersWebzone