LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 328 users in the forums

2017 Training Camp Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
General note on "clean outs" of knees... supposedly is what the Josh Garnett problem is, assuming whoever released the report had actual and factual data. I'm not an expert in this but after 16 knee surgeries, including 6 total knee replacements (that means some failed), there were 8 that were regarded as "clean outs". Usually that means broken cartilage, or a broken off piece of cartilage is floating around in the knee joint. A teeny tiny fragment of cartilage, (fibrocartilage is body's response to cartilage injury with scar formation), and this can impede knee movement if a tiny piece of cartilage breaks off or a piece of fibrocartilage breaks free.) This can be a very small procedure, but does not mean that whatever the initial injury was, that it too was involved...it may not be. So if Garnett has some debris floating around in the joint space, it could be a very easy fix...scope goes in, finds floating debris, scope comes out and procedure over. Patient up and moving around almost immediatley . Not playing immediately, but up an around. But it also could mean the injury that started all this is inflamed, involved, and needs removal of scar buildup (fibrocartilage) around the injured site . This would NOT be so simple as for recovery time.

This could truly be a very minor thing, but i was unaware of previous knee problems in Garnett. The fact kyle is expecting his return sometime during the season sounds like this is just a clean out of debris. If once they get in there and see that a previous injury is now a mass of fibrocartilage, then that has to be removed, If cartilage itself has been broken and come loose, that can be removed easily. It is what remains that is the concern.

Agreed. And it's not just the procedure but the time to come back from it and get back into football shape as this offense requires a lot of lateral movement, running and pulling. I suspect he'll be put on I.R. with a designation to return at a later date.

Correct, and just because a "clean out" goes well and the guy is out and walking around...that does NOT translate into playing football. NFL football. There is , as you say, a time for healing, slow , easy recovery process, don't rush it type attitude, and then see where you are "x" amount of time down the road. And if all goes well and whatever is done is marginal, ie, no massive "big fix", then maybe half a season in, perhaps Garnett could get some practice time in. Meantime he can do all sorts of rehab which can accelerate the healing process. Building up muscle around the knee joint, being paramount of all things. Any kind of support you can give the knee is welcomed, and is the one and only way i know of to help the end result. Needless to say, all muscle building around the knee should be done without causing irritation and inflammation of the repaired area.

It is patently obvious that if you are having OL play ZBS, that due to lateral movement, it is best to have guys with NO previous knee problems than OLs who have had knee surgeries or knee problems. So there is that ...

I'm wondering if knee injuries are going to be a problem with Kyle's lateral blocking schemes. If so, maybe a protective knee brace for the O LInemen? I mean the outside zone run involves a lot of side to side movement vs a power run scheme with more forward and backward movement.

Originally posted by Giedi:
General note on "clean outs" of knees... supposedly is what the Josh Garnett problem is, assuming whoever released the report had actual and factual data. I'm not an expert in this but after 16 knee surgeries, including 6 total knee replacements (that means some failed), there were 8 that were regarded as "clean outs". Usually that means broken cartilage, or a broken off piece of cartilage is floating around in the knee joint. A teeny tiny fragment of cartilage, (fibrocartilage is body's response to cartilage injury with scar formation), and this can impede knee movement if a tiny piece of cartilage breaks off or a piece of fibrocartilage breaks free.) This can be a very small procedure, but does not mean that whatever the initial injury was, that it too was involved...it may not be. So if Garnett has some debris floating around in the joint space, it could be a very easy fix...scope goes in, finds floating debris, scope comes out and procedure over. Patient up and moving around almost immediatley . Not playing immediately, but up an around. But it also could mean the injury that started all this is inflamed, involved, and needs removal of scar buildup (fibrocartilage) around the injured site . This would NOT be so simple as for recovery time.

This could truly be a very minor thing, but i was unaware of previous knee problems in Garnett. The fact kyle is expecting his return sometime during the season sounds like this is just a clean out of debris. If once they get in there and see that a previous injury is now a mass of fibrocartilage, then that has to be removed, If cartilage itself has been broken and come loose, that can be removed easily. It is what remains that is the concern.

Agreed. And it's not just the procedure but the time to come back from it and get back into football shape as this offense requires a lot of lateral movement, running and pulling. I suspect he'll be put on I.R. with a designation to return at a later date.

Correct, and just because a "clean out" goes well and the guy is out and walking around...that does NOT translate into playing football. NFL football. There is , as you say, a time for healing, slow , easy recovery process, don't rush it type attitude, and then see where you are "x" amount of time down the road. And if all goes well and whatever is done is marginal, ie, no massive "big fix", then maybe half a season in, perhaps Garnett could get some practice time in. Meantime he can do all sorts of rehab which can accelerate the healing process. Building up muscle around the knee joint, being paramount of all things. Any kind of support you can give the knee is welcomed, and is the one and only way i know of to help the end result. Needless to say, all muscle building around the knee should be done without causing irritation and inflammation of the repaired area.

It is patently obvious that if you are having OL play ZBS, that due to lateral movement, it is best to have guys with NO previous knee problems than OLs who have had knee surgeries or knee problems. So there is that ...

I'm wondering if knee injuries are going to be a problem with Kyle's lateral blocking schemes. If so, maybe a protective knee brace for the O LInemen? I mean the outside zone run involves a lot of side to side movement vs a power run scheme with more forward and backward movement.

I've actually tried on the large steel shank brace that you see so many big OL and some DLs use. It is a forward or backward brace, but not too sure how that would work laterally. Poorly i would imagine. Or you could take a step laterally and fall sideways. Probably not a ZBS brace.

Hmm, another double quote and I'm not sure how i did that. Regarding braces, there are many different models out there, but for absolute best brace, go to an orthotics shop and they will actually build the one brace best for what you do. I'd bet anything, most braces you see today are tailor made . I've had two for different uses, and both worked well. You know there is no brace built that these guys cannot afford (or the team that is.)
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Aug 6, 2017 at 12:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by cciowa:
So I see our over payed under achieving linebacker we signed to be a game changer,, yes you pay someone that much and you expect them to be game changer . is out for the year. lol. anyone care to tell me how they are not worried and how we are going to have a top 15 defense?

You must be a blast at parties
nice but what did i say that was wrong?

LOL. Perfect.
Originally posted by miked1978:
So I see our over payed under achieving linebacker we signed to be a game changer,, yes you pay someone that much and you expect them to be game changer . is out for the year. lol. anyone care to tell me how they are not worried and how we are going to have a top 15 defense?

1. I dont think anyone had very high expectations from him.

2. We drafted Rueben Foster.

3. We have 1 billlion in cap space.

4. We are in year 1 of a rebuild

5. We aren't playoff contenders

So no i'm not worried at all.

you had no hopes for him?? oh my god,,, so you are fine with lynch backing up the truck and shelling out a s**t load of money for this guy. a guy that you had no hope for?? i have no idea what to say. so we have a bunch of money in salary cap space. its fine to give a bunch of it to a player who you had no hopes for in the first place and we are fine?? wow. you pay someone that much.. you expect him to be a game changer.. otherwise why give it to him?? jesus around here

It is a shame he is gone, but they didn't pay him to be a game changer...they paid him to be the field general. He was the expert in the new D on the field and the overpay was for him to be there as a leader and a teacher. It is a big loss on that front but Foster is the better player physically so that softens the blow. The coaches are now going to have to single out somebody who is the quickest study and lean on them more. Bowman or Reid may be good candidates as Vets with a lot of savvy who play in spots that traditionally help guys get lined up and call coverages.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pahlerbj:
Who said "no hope"?

I wish you had no idea what to say...

You pay a guy that much money , so you damn well better have high hopes for him,. otherwise why pay him the money. answer me that
Who said "no hope"?

You pay a guy that much money , so you damn well better have high hopes for him,. otherwise why pay him the money. answer me that

To couch it in the same terms as the offense...he was to the D what Hoyer is to the O. It will hurt short term I think from a teaching perspective, it puts more of the load on the coaches...but I think we can find a guy within the group who is picking the new stuff up quick to step in.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

You must be a blast at parties
nice but what did i say that was wrong?

That he was a game changer. Dude blows. I for one, am glad he's gone.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Who said "no hope"?

To couch it in the same terms as the offense...he was to the D what Hoyer is to the O. It will hurt short term I think from a teaching perspective, it puts more of the load on the coaches...but I think we can find a guy within the group who is picking the new stuff up quick to step in.

Yeah, the ability to educate those around you is the big loss as is the chemistry of working with Bo this whole time.

I wonder how the coaches will work in Foster and Ray-Ray now.
Who said "no hope"?

Yeah, the ability to educate those around you is the big loss as is the chemistry of working with Bo this whole time.

Short term I feel like they will use Ray Ray to keep Foster motivated....not gonna hand the rook the starting gig that easy.
Originally posted by miked1978:

1. I dont think anyone had very high expectations from him.

2. We drafted Rueben Foster.

3. We have 1 billlion in cap space.

4. We are in year 1 of a rebuild

5. We aren't playoff contenders

So no i'm not worried at all.

you had no hopes for him?? oh my god,,, so you are fine with lynch backing up the truck and shelling out a s**t load of money for this guy. a guy that you had no hope for?? i have no idea what to say. so we have a bunch of money in salary cap space. its fine to give a bunch of it to a player who you had no hopes for in the first place and we are fine?? wow. you pay someone that much.. you expect him to be a game changer.. otherwise why give it to him?? jesus around here

It doesn't really matter in the sense that it's not like Smith injured himself on purpose and it's not like there's anything we can do about it to make him healthy at this point. Yeah hopefully he can come back and play out the rest of the deal next season and play well, but if he can't we can probably eventually cut him and use the cap space on someone else. We're just lucky we still have a decent amount of depth at LB with Bow/Brooks/Foster/Armstrong.
Who said "no hope"?

Short term I feel like they will use Ray Ray to keep Foster motivated....not gonna hand the rook the starting gig that easy.

This is certainly likely. Ray-Ray is no slouch so hopefully it pushes Foster.

You guys watch today's Goodwin highlights? The guy is getting open by 5 yards. Reiser tried holding him and couldn't even do that.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by Ensatsu:

Long ass line just for training camp lmao. Whos here?

Dude why would anyone wait in that line for an open practice? We rolled in at 10 parked in the great America parking lot as we already have that pass. Walked right in and sat down 5 rows back on the 50. The store and museum were a s**tshow. I will say props on the organization for free food and drinks. But man I will say this...Levi's Stadium hands down is easily the worst designed modern day stadium. Seriously confused how in this day in age they could f**k something up like that.

Not a bad seat in the house. Consessions and bathrooms easily accessible

no doubt but waiting in that line above...???? yeah concessions were nice in all but then again it was not game day and it's always a different story then. but come on that stadium is poorly constructed especially since it's a fkn heat box

Dude why would anyone wait in that line for an open practice? We rolled in at 10 parked in the great America parking lot as we already have that pass. Walked right in and sat down 5 rows back on the 50. The store and museum were a s**tshow. I will say props on the organization for free food and drinks. But man I will say this...Levi's Stadium hands down is easily the worst designed modern day stadium. Seriously confused how in this day in age they could f**k something up like that.

no doubt but waiting in that line above...???? yeah concessions were nice in all but then again it was not game day and it's always a different story then. but come on that stadium is poorly constructed especially since it's a fkn heat box

I'm pretty sure there was a line because the gates weren't open yet. I also got there at 10 and walked right in. Didn't even have to wait in line to get my food
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

I'm pretty sure there was a line because the gates weren't open yet. I also got there at 10 and walked right in. Didn't even have to wait in line to get my food

How does Hoyer look?
[ Edited by WeeRocco on Aug 6, 2017 at 4:56 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone