There are 271 users in the forums

The Uniform Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by Heroism:
They should bring back the 1996 uniforms. These are so dope as throwbacks. I want specifically the 1996 version with the white pants and the flat gold.

I know these are polarizing among 49er fans but I strongly prefer the 1996/1997 look over 1998-2008. I think these jerseys look much better with white pants.

Agreed. After the 1994-1995 look, the 1996 unis were my favorite with the white pants. I actually like the darker red and the red stripe on the pants. It looks clean and classy.
Originally posted by DrEll:
Agreed. After the 1994-1995 look, the 1996 unis were my favorite with the white pants. I actually like the darker red and the red stripe on the pants. It looks clean and classy.

They feel like an evolved, properly made version of the 1994s.

Hypothetically if we won in the 1996 uniforms instead of 1994, I believe the popularity would be flipped.
They should bring back the 1996 uniforms. These are so dope as throwbacks. I want specifically the 1996 version with the white pants and the flat gold.

Yeah these were dope. The red visor looks fresh too

Those are forever tainted by losing to the Packers repeatedly wearing them…also the team should never return to ugly cardinal/burgundy red that turns maroon in night/rain/mud/sweat.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Those are forever tainted by losing to the Packers repeatedly wearing them…also the team should never return to ugly cardinal/burgundy red that turns maroon in night/rain/mud/sweat.

Ya the red is way too dark

Listen to this man.
Originally posted by fropwns:

Listen to this man.

Agreed 100%
These have officially become the night game "PrimeTime" jerseys…

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/171455-49ers-wear-throwback-jerseys-games-2023/
Can't believe we're not wearing them Vs the cowboys on SNF

There is still a slim chance…the Niners can petition the league to bend its "3 games only alternate uniform rule" on rare occasion, provided it's done with sufficient notice.

I think that's what the team did in 2019 (done barely in time) for that division-clinching road game against Seattle in the season finale, when originally the Niners were supposed to only wear their regular road unis with gold pants (though strangely for that game, their equipment dudes didn't have time to switch out the oval "SF" logos to the throwback ones on the helmets—prob due to the team's last-minute request).

In 2021, if I remember correctly, the Niners did the same thing (though with better advance notice this time to the league) and were able to squeeze in an extra throwback game—since they had the excuse of wanting to further celebrate the team's 75th anniversary season…in total they wore the '94 unis six times that year (originally supposed to be five) though I suspect it also had the marketing reason of wanting to showcase the new red throwback jerseys that came out that year.
Let's we're the throwbacks as much as possible! Go 49ers!

our regular reds vs cowboys whites are a classic color clash
Originally posted by RonMexico:

This. TURRIBLE UNIFORM IS TURRIBLE.
Originally posted by fropwns:
This. TURRIBLE UNIFORM IS TURRIBLE.

Yes. They started with the '94 throwback template (though likely there'd been plans for a special 50th anniversary jersey/uniform even before '94…the 1994 throwback season winning a Super Bowl just ended up heavily influencing the final design), but then they went overboard—making the red way too dark, adding logos on the sleeves and gold trim on the numerals that made everything way too busy…I admit I was excited at first in '96 when the new unis came out, thinking the Niners could recapture some of the mojo and magic of '94 and one-up the Cowboys in the trophy department once again (little knowing it was the Packers who were to be the new nemesis), but after awhile and once the novelty had worn off, the '96-'97 unis just didn't "look" like the Dynasty Niners anymore….the absolute nadir of it was seeing the mud caked players walking off Lambeau after losing once again to the cheeseheads…then starting in '98 they made the surprise switch to shiny good gold pants (that were again too busy, with too much striping and hip logos) and the unrecognizable "Niner look" stigma of that design increased even more, not helped that the next season saw the final collapse of the dynasty.
Share 49ersWebzone