LISTEN: Baldy Breaks Down The 49ers →

There are 227 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Oh I forgot Jimmy was in charge of the defense. Silly me.

He certainly did keep them on the field though.

For far too long Imo.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
compared to what fans on this board say, I'll listen to what Shanahan says. he has always kept it real and is pretty honest about his players and being outspoken with them. thanks for chiming in though

1) Are you saying you'd legitimately expect Shanahan to say "I dunno who's going to be our starter. I'm still thinking about it",.....or....."let's see how Mullens does this next game before I can tell you which way I'm leaning".....??

You really expect that? C'mon. This is not a "well but my coach Shanahan...." issue. This is ANY legit coach. They don't start needless controversies in the press midseason.

2) Beyond that,...Shanahan has been the opposite of honest when it comes to giving opponents an idea of what we want to do. He's kept things under wraps as long as possible from my vantage point. If there's no need to give early clues on his decisions or show his hand, he doesn't.

Riding on underperformers like Pettis in the media is a different situation entirely, and should not make you completely lose focus of the obvious things said above.

exactly. they don't start controversies. they shut them the f**k down. and he did that lol. and it's not midseason.
he's shutting down stupid overreactionary questions from the media and fans. lol. jimmy's the guy. sherman said this on a recent pod, shanny said this, every player would. it's jimmy's job to lose.

get over it
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Oct 1, 2020 at 10:40 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
on the other hand bill w and george s invited and welcomed qb controversy with the poor way they handled joe vs steve.. joe and steve were worse as they used an eager media to push their agenda. no point here
exactly. they don't start controversies. they shut them the f**k down. and he did that lol. and it's not midseason.

It is midseason,....since it's not preseason, postseason, or the offseason. Words have more than 1 definition.

he's shutting down stupid overreactionary questions from the media and fans. lol.

Yes,...boastfully claiming we know exactly what he thinks is overreaction from fans. Claiming we know what he's planning or not planning due to how he answers stupid, generic questions from the press is even more offbase and nonsensical.

The same way defensive coordinators cant guess what he's planning, you certainly cant as well. It's an unknown and will remain that way until something moves.

jimmy's the guy. sherman said this on a recent pod, shanny said this, every player would.

Why is this even a subject? NO TEAM WANTS TO DISCUSS POSSIBLE CONTROVERSIES BEFORE THEY HAPPEN.

They're "not a question" until there's a change. It's just a stupid topic all the way around because you're trying to play football, not be on talk radio every day for all the wrong reasons. Coaches claiming that someone is still the starter brings nothing whatsoever to discussions. Watch what you see on the field.

Any and all planning happens behind the scenes,...not in the press. Rationalizing anything based on what he says to the press is just being lost in the wind.
[ Edited by random49er on Oct 1, 2020 at 11:05 AM ]
Shanahan: there is no qb controversy

Webzone: "wElL wUt iS hE sUpPosE tU sAy?!"

It is midseason,....since it's not preseason, postseason, or the offseason. Words have more than 1 definition.

he's shutting down stupid overreactionary questions from the media and fans. lol.

Yes,...boastfully claiming we know exactly what he thinks is overreaction from fans. Claiming we know what he's planning or not planning due to how he answers stupid, generic questions from the press is even more offbase and nonsensical.

The same way defensive coordinators cant guess what he's planning, you certainly cant as well. It's an unknown and will remain that way until something moves.

jimmy's the guy. sherman said this on a recent pod, shanny said this, every player would.

Why is this even a subject? NO TEAM WANTS TO DISCUSS POSSIBLE CONTROVERSIES BEFORE THEY HAPPEN.

They're "not a question" until there's a change. It's just a stupid topic all the way around because you're trying to play football, not be on talk radio every day for all the wrong reasons. Coaches claiming that someone is still the starter brings nothing whatsoever to discussions. Watch what you see on the field.

Any and all planning happens behind the scenes,...not in the press. Rationalizing anything based on what he says to the press is just being lost in the wind.

wrong. not midseason. it's a quarter into the season. get it right. or get out.

shanny was answered a question

he debunked it. shut it down. not happening, jimmy's the guy, it's his job to lose, it's "jimmy's team", Mullens played well, Jimmy will go when he's ready no ifs and's or butts.

GET OVER IT
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

nothing has changed
Sorry, he's the guy. and will be until shanahan says or eludes to otherwise.

It's not about what he says or alludes to. It's about having a better option.

and he was asked about a better option, potentially being Nick Mullens, and he shut that s**t down. nothing more to discuss for now.

A coach would be a complete bonehead to suggest a "maybe" situation involving Mullens. Even if you're thinking about it, you don't say it until you're convinced you're ready to make the move. This is the rule.

AGAIN,....look for telltale signs if you want to know where this issue is headed. OF COURSE Jimmy is QB1 on this team,....until he's officially QB2. Don't waste board space talking about such silliness when a coach is always going to have things this way.

How about....instead....you look at how long he rests Jimmy? If Mullens has another good outing while Jimmy rests,....no big deal still.

If Mullens gets a 3rd consecutive game while Jimmy is again resting,....you'd better believe the HC is curious about the scenario. Things start getting iffy at that point.

My point is to ignore whether a coach is saying yes or no and instead follow what you're seeing on the field of play.

Yeah this is all true. Good post.

I honestly do not even see the big deal with him sitting out 4-6 weeks if shanny wants more of a look at mullens. High ankle is up to 4-6 week injury.

You could still switch back if you wanted to after. I would not if he wins 3, 4 , 5 games but you could and it would not be too big a deal.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Sorry, he's the guy. and will be until shanahan says or eludes to otherwise.

It's not about what he says or alludes to. It's about having a better option.

and he was asked about a better option, potentially being Nick Mullens, and he shut that s**t down. nothing more to discuss for now.

A coach would be a complete bonehead to suggest a "maybe" situation involving Mullens. Even if you're thinking about it, you don't say it until you're convinced you're ready to make the move. This is the rule.

AGAIN,....look for telltale signs if you want to know where this issue is headed. OF COURSE Jimmy is QB1 on this team,....until he's officially QB2. Don't waste board space talking about such silliness when a coach is always going to have things this way.

How about....instead....you look at how long he rests Jimmy? If Mullens has another good outing while Jimmy rests,....no big deal still.

If Mullens gets a 3rd consecutive game while Jimmy is again resting,....you'd better believe the HC is curious about the scenario. Things start getting iffy at that point.

My point is to ignore whether a coach is saying yes or no and instead follow what you're seeing on the field of play.

Yeah this is all true. Good post.

I honestly do not even see the big deal with him sitting out 4-6 weeks if shanny wants more of a look at mullens. High ankle is up to 4-6 week injury.

You could still switch back if you wanted to after. I would not if he wins 3, 4 , 5 games but you could and it would not be too big a deal.

yep. no need to rush him back at all if Mullens is playing well. or, Jimmy comes back, doesnt play well, then you know you can always go back to Mullens in case of emergency or you real feel like we are losing games because of jimmy

Not that I think there is a QB controversy I believe Shanny here but if you say Mullens has a chance then he throws for 4 picks on Sunday 1) you look like an idiot 2) you tossed Jimmy under the bus.

Nick could only get the job when Jimmy is healthy and Nick is playing to well to be benched. It could be true that Shanny is just playing the game here. But again I don't think that.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Oct 1, 2020 at 11:45 AM ]
I think it's telling that Kyle didn't even hedge with some variation of "hot hand" though. *Right now* there's no question Jimmy starts over Nick when he's healthy. I do agree that could potentially change if we see more of the "new, improved" Nick and/or a regression from Jimmy but right now it's not as close as we seem to think here
Jimmy deserves the year to either win a SB or prove himself as a Pro Bowl quality QB. It's nice to get a glimpse of Mullens right now but people need to cool it no matter how well he plays. Even if we move on from Jimmy he's option b or c.

agreed
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Jimmy deserves the year to either win a SB or prove himself as a Pro Bowl quality QB. It's nice to get a glimpse of Mullens right now but people need to cool it no matter how well he plays. Even if we move on from Jimmy he's option b or c.

agreed

I just want to see Jimmy show more consistency and take care of the ball better.

This year will be a big test for him either way Imo.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
I just want to see Jimmy show more consistency and take care of the ball better.

This year will be a big test for him either way Imo.

Oh that's where I'm at...this is his season be more consistent and improve overall. take that next step.

if not, he might be who he is at this point...which isn't an awful thing he's a good QB currently. Not sure you restructure or give him an extension though.
Share 49ersWebzone