Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Tman:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Sinsation:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Jimmy Garoppolo pocket mobility >>>>> Trey Lance pocket mobility

Jimmy has greatly improved that this year I've noticed.

Jimmy looks more nimble, but Trey is by far the better runner.

Pocket mobility is not the same as being a runner. Tom Brady might be the slowest player in the NFL but has great pocket mobility.

Yeah, I shouldn't just say better runner, Trey is also more mobile in the pocket.

Is he? That would be awesome if true, not sure I can definitively say that right now though

From the tape he looks real mobile, I don't know what you've been looking at.

Do you have tape on his pocket movements vs nfl defenses? He sure did take a lot of sacks in the PS but I know he was mostly behind the second string.

Not sure what you have been looking at but if he has better pocket mobility the Jimmy right now then we are stoked

I'm mainly going by his college tape. He navigates the pocket pretty good. I don't know why people don't see it.

He did move the pocket well in college….a lot of players do great things in college that don't translate to the nfl but I'm confident his will, just can't say for sure right now

Pocket mobility is not the same as being a runner. Tom Brady might be the slowest player in the NFL but has great pocket mobility.

Yeah, I shouldn't just say better runner, Trey is also more mobile in the pocket.

Is he? That would be awesome if true, not sure I can definitively say that right now though

Do you have tape on his pocket movements vs nfl defenses? He sure did take a lot of sacks in the PS but I know he was mostly behind the second string.

Not sure what you have been looking at but if he has better pocket mobility the Jimmy right now then we are stoked

I'm mainly going by his college tape. He navigates the pocket pretty good. I don't know why people don't see it.

Lance did step up in the pocket more than he gets credit for. The Kaep comparison is pretty terrible imo. Lance has shown flashes in college to have elite pocket movement but he needs to be far more consistent.

If anything this should be more about awareness in the pocket.

I think Jimmy clearly has that advantage as of today.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Completion Percentage over Expectation, essentially the difference between the QB's completion percentage vs. the probability of those passes being completed.

Nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#completionPercentageAboveExpectation

Sounds very subjective.
What is the formula used to determine probability?

Nextgenstats uses their own proprietary formula that is based on tracking data provided to them by the NFL.

"Completion Probability
The probability of a pass completion, based on numerous factors such as receiver separation from the nearest defender, where the receiver is on the field, the separation the passer had at time of throw from the nearest pass rusher, and more."

However, most sites don't have access to that data, so they determine a close approximation of that number by looking at the depth and location of each pass and how often passes with the same depth and location were completed over thousands of plays to get the expected completion percentage.
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by boast:
The game plan shouldn't impact CPoE.

His AYPA in this game is not that different from the last 3 seasons where he's been near last in AYPA each season.

yet his ANY/A is top 5 so far this year

This stat probably belongs in the Deebo thread since he's either 1st or 2nd in YACoE.

KaThump Kathump you hear that. Oh it's the goal post's moving again.
yup..with that kind of post.. how can someone say they are not truly a hater
Completion Percentage over Expectation, essentially the difference between the QB's completion percentage vs. the probability of those passes being completed.

Sounds very subjective.

Nextgenstats uses their own proprietary formula that is based on tracking data provided to them by the NFL.

"Completion Probability
The probability of a pass completion, based on numerous factors such as receiver separation from the nearest defender, where the receiver is on the field, the separation the passer had at time of throw from the nearest pass rusher, and more."

However, most sites don't have access to that data, so they determine a close approximation of that number by looking at the depth and location of each pass and how often passes with the same depth and location were completed over thousands of plays to get the expected completion percentage.
So what does that determine ?

what is the end result ?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Lance did step up in the pocket more than he gets credit for. The Kaep comparison is pretty terrible imo. Lance has shown flashes in college to have elite pocket movement but he needs to be far more consistent.

If anything this should be more about awareness in the pocket.

I think Jimmy clearly has that advantage as of today.

Yeah, the Kap comparison is a bad one. Jimmy does move well, but I think Trey can match it and will once he get's the chance.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Sounds very subjective.

"Completion Probability

what is the end result ?

I think it's a fancy way to calculate passing accuracy.
Originally posted by thl408:

Sounds very subjective.

"Completion Probability

what is the end result ?

What's wrong with Completion %

His AYPA in this game is not that different from the last 3 seasons where he's been near last in AYPA each season.

This stat probably belongs in the Deebo thread since he's either 1st or 2nd in YACoE.

How is that hate? To minimize Deebo's contribution to the offense seems more hateful. Are you a Deebo hater? He's leading the league in AYACAE. That makes a huge difference in YPA numbers.

Im extremely concerned about treys pocket mobility. It's not something you learn. It's an instinct. Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, were never mobile qbs, yet they were very good at moving in the pocket. I've seen nothing from trey that gives me confidence in that aspect of the game.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Sep 22, 2021 at 1:18 PM ]

How is that hate? To minimize Deebo's contribution to the offense seems more hateful. Are you a Deebo hater? He's leading the league in AYACAE. That makes a huge difference in YPA numbers.
Did debo throw the ball to himself ?

as bad as you say jimmy is, how does Debo get a chance to get all that YAC

Do you even hear yourself when you post this s**t ?
  • thl408

Sounds very subjective.

"Completion Probability

what is the end result ?

Doesn't factor in earth's rotation.

I think if a pass hits the WR in the chest (and is dropped), it's good for the CPoE, but not good for the typical comp%.
[ Edited by thl408 on Sep 22, 2021 at 1:21 PM ]

Sounds very subjective.

"Completion Probability

what is the end result ?

It doesn't account for difficulty. If a QB attempts only short passes or checkdowns then their completion percentage will be higher than someone who throws down the field consistently. CPoE attempts to factor in difficulty to get a better estimate of passing accuracy.

Sounds very subjective.

"Completion Probability

what is the end result ?

It doesn't account for difficulty. If a QB attempts only short passes or checkdowns then their completion percentage will be higher than someone who throws down the field consistently. CPoE attempts to factor in difficulty to get a better estimate of passing accuracy.
again

what is the end result ?

no one is minimizing Deebo tho. nice false argument.

but youre clearly minimizing Jimmy
Share 49ersWebzone