There are 128 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LenCat:
Nothing to do with being a diva. It's simple business. We will know this week

100% right it's just business and I hope he breaks the bank. Even if he doesn't pan out the front office shows it's willing to take the plunge. I'm sure they've discussed what plan B is if Polo isn't the ONE. The first ray of hope in a dismal season.
It's a good low risk trade especially considering the position
I imagine Garopollo will get some playing time after the Bye but it'll be circumstantial.

I am curious who will get the first team reps, because that is where the real team chemistry will be determined.

Curious how Kyle is going to manage this but he must be bats**t happy.

I do feel for CJ though, poor kid didn't have a chance behind this O line but he will be able to develop and become a great backup that may be trade bait for us later on.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Can't be my beloved 49ers

Yes it can. I remember clearly when the Niners made savvy trades and acquisitions, plenty of them. I fear this will not be remembered as one of them. Clearly a desperate move a clearheaded, smart GM would not make, given that he could have chosen between either Cousins or Garappolo in free agency at the end of this year, without squandering a high draft pick. It's not like any QB will be effective -- maybe not even motivated to play -- behind the train wreck of the awful Niners OL, which will not improve before the end of the year. If Garappolo has a smart agent, he'll insist on no more than a one year contract and sell his talents elsewhere as soon as he can.

Just madness.

yeah and then we tag his ass for 2 years smarty pants.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
I wonder if Belichick was still guilty about trading us Jordan Devey...
A 2nd round pick is generous considering his price was like a 1st + 2nd in Aug. We get off cheap on a quality stop-gap instead of paying 300 Mil to an overrated game manager in FA. How is anybody hating this move? True niner fans know our second round picks are usually garbage, and we would've probably just wasted it on Nate Allen anyways.

We can now trade out, and draft an entire o-line now.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:
Yes it can. I remember clearly when the Niners made savvy trades and acquisitions, plenty of them. I fear this will not be remembered as one of them. Clearly a desperate move a clearheaded, smart GM would not make, given that he could have chosen between either Cousins or Garappolo in free agency at the end of this year, without squandering a high draft pick. It's not like any QB will be effective -- maybe not even motivated to play -- behind the train wreck of the awful Niners OL, which will not improve before the end of the year. If Garappolo has a smart agent, he'll insist on no more than a one year contract and sell his talents elsewhere as soon as he can.

Just madness.

First, a "high draft pick" after about the first 7-8 players is just a guess. Second, what kind of a moron of an agent would negotiate a one year deal when millions are available in multi-year deal that may never be available again. As far as a QB not being motivated to play for whatever reason once they enter a game.....I have never seen that at any level in my more than 50 years of watching the game.
[ Edited by CoachMike on Oct 30, 2017 at 11:15 PM ]
Went over to the browns forums and they're pissed as expected. That team has three second round picks , including the one they bought for like 16 million. Must be tough to be a browns fan.

They got no problem taking a risky Kizer with a second or a talented but not the biggest need (Njoku) with a first. But they didn't throw extra picks on top of a second for jimmy g. Brutal.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
A 2nd round pick is generous considering his price was like a 1st + 2nd in Aug. We get off cheap on a quality stop-gap instead of paying 300 Mil to an overrated game manager in FA. How is anybody hating this move? True niner fans know our second round picks are usually garbage, and we would've probably just wasted it on Nate Allen anyways.

We can now trade out, and draft an entire o-line now.

Yeah, Snake - we can now concentrate on our other needs and your right, that second round pick would probably be another Woods pick or something. Instead we get our franchise Qb.

• Jiks
How's his mobility as far as QB runs? I know he's not a running QB but a far as like Rodgers or Alex Smith. Does he possess anything like that?
HOUSTON -- Kyle Shanahan admitted at the Super Bowl Thursday that he really liked Patriots backup quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo coming out in 2014 when he was offensive coordinator of the Browns, and a source said he had him ranked right behind Derek Carr on his QB list.
But the Browns traded up in the first round and took Johnny Manziel No. 22 instead -- despite the fact Shanahan, now the Falcons' offensive coordinator, was not in favor of drafting him or Teddy Bridgewater.

"They had me look at every quarterback and evaluate every quarterback,'' he said at the Super Bowl Thursday. "That's everywhere. They ask you to evaluate everyone and you give grades and you tell people who you want and you wait to see what happens."
Is the report true that he really liked Garoppolo, who's about to become the hottest QB commodity of the off-season?
"Yes, I did,'' he said.

Disregarding Shanahan's opinion on such vital matters was one of the reasons he asked to be let out of his Browns contract after that season. He wasn't on the same page with general manager Ray Farmer, who takes responsibility for drafting Manziel. Farmer violated league rules and texted assistants during games to complain about Shanahan's playcalling and use of personnel.

Did they just not hear him on the QB decision that year?

"I think people heard me, but the results weren't there,'' he said. "I think there were a lot of people who liked Garoppolo. There were other quarterbacks we liked, too. We put a board together. We rank every one. Then, the people who make the decisions, you have to wait and see what happens. As a coach, it's like that at a lot of places. You have to deal with what happens."

Now, Shanahan is set to take over as head coach of the 49ers, and the Browns might be in competition with him for Garoppolo. The Browns, who have the No. 1, No. 12 and No. 33 overall picks, have the most ammunition to try to trade for Garoppolo, but the 49ers have the No. 2 overall pick and really need a quarterback.
Garoppolo: 'We'll see' about embracing challenge of a losing team

What did Shanahan like about Garoppolo?

"He was a very good thrower,'' said Shanahan. "Tough guy, kept his eyes down the field, could get rid of the ball fast. Really liked the person. Had a chance to go out to dinner with him and stuff. He played at Eastern Illinois, and it was a different type of offense where you can't always evaluate with how quick they get rid of the ball. But I really thought he was a very intelligent, tough player with a good throwing motion."

Jimmy Garoppolo and the Cleveland Browns

Shanahan said Garoppolo, who went 2-0 in his two starts this year before spraining his shoulder, appears ready for full-time duty.

"It's been a great deal for him I'm sure in the situation he is, being behind Tom [Brady], seeing how they do it,'' he said. "I'm sure when he does get his opportunity whether it's earlier this year in the two games he played or possibly next year, who knows what will happen -- I'm sure he'll be ready.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/02/kyle_shanahan_liked_derek_carr.html
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jiks:
How's his mobility as far as QB runs? I know he's not a running QB but a far as like Rodgers or Alex Smith. Does he possess anything like that?

He's functional. But not as good as Cousins in that regard. Won't go 20 yards for a TD. He ran a 5.0 40-yard dash. His mobility is all about manipulating the pocket -- where he excels.
Originally posted by Jiks:

Pretty mobile. Not a running QB but athletic enough to thrive on bootlegs and rollouts as well as being able to pick up yards with his feet if there is an opening.
LOL at Garcon's reaction.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba5JUqYjNnL/

Share 49ersWebzone