Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 260 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Another day closer
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
So you're just parroting stats with no point behind them? Interesting...while you're at it, can you throw up Garoppolo's W-L record as a starter?

I'm just highlighting why they're nothing to be scared of and as the charts above show,...you can gain more perspective about games. I mean this is a football forum, right?

Yeah I agree stats are nothing to be scared of and can be really interesting to look at, especially when they show how often SF wins with Garoppolo under center. I wonder why certain people complain so much when his W-L record is cited...it's almost like certain stats are actually scary to some posters.
Originally posted by random49er:
This has nothing to do with Joe Montana and Steve Young.

How far a QB threw the ball on a particular passing play SHOULD hold some weight on his contribution to a touchdown (for example).

It just,....should. It's common sense.

Should it mean everything? No. But I'll take "SOMETHING" over your silly argument that it should have no bearing at all if we're calculating ratings in comparison.

Suggesting it shouldn't be looked at at all is just....

not true

if a Qb holds on to the ball for a long time and doesnt throw the ball deep then yes

if a QB gets rid of the ball fast then air yards will obviously be lower and has no impact. Why do you think Jimmy G has more yards/attempt than pretty much every QB in NFL?

He is good at pre reading coverage taking advantage of mis coverages and passes to them immediately

His average time to throw (or pressure) is 2.3 seconds.
Fun fact: Jimmy has the highest TD% (7.3%) over the last 3 weeks.
Originally posted by YACBros85:

These things are far more fun to talk about.
Originally posted by NCommand:

No I want to talk about arm strength and how important it is and why Jim druckenmiller was such a success.
In all this analysis, which is interesting, there should be extra credit for the QB if he gets the ball out before the OL is charged with a hit or a hurry. Since the QB is downgraded for taking a sack, he should get compensating credit for a play that benefits his OL teammates in their rating. Of course, there would have to be some balancing factor against the downgrade in air yards.

Obviously, I am being somewhat facetious, however, it does point out where fantasy football numbers have impacted the way fans view the game and the players. FF generates billion$ of dollars in ad revenue for the league and FanDuel and other gambling sites. Hence, all of these numbers create interest even though the numbers themselves are incidental to the outcome of the game. When the lead commercial on TNF Amazon Prime is about gambling/FF, we can get a good idea of the impact that aspect of NFL ball has on the overall revenue stream.

Well, that is the best I can do to contribute this morning as I try to overcome the indulgence at the table yesterday. Hope you all had a lot to be thankful for yesterday, and today.

Longest streak without an int in his career.
No doubt Jimmy has played as good as he ever has the past 3 weeks. Having another weapon like CMC has made it easier for everyone, Kyle included.

When Jimmy looks at his options next year, he'll have a hard time finding a team that has as many weapons, as good a play designer and still has a need for a QB. He can't just go to any team that's willing to pay and expect success. He's with a team that has as many weapons as any team in the league and has a better than average O line anchored by the best left tackle in the league. He has 3 of the best YAC receivers in the league which allows Kyle to call plays that allow Jimmy to get the ball out quickly so he doesn't need to try and throw downfield. Finding a team that's loaded like the Niners and runs a similar offense and needs a QB won't be easy.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

But if his air yards are low, then most of the credit should go to the WR's.

random

In honor of the great Jeff Foxworth, if you spend all your time with post after post writing long story novels nitpicking the best QB this franchise has had in the 21 century who just came off a 4 TD performance

you might be a Jimmy G hater
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Nov 25, 2022 at 10:46 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
No doubt Jimmy has played as good as he ever has the past 3 weeks. Having another weapon like CMC has made it easier for everyone, Kyle included.

When Jimmy looks at his options next year, he'll have a hard time finding a team that has as many weapons, as good a play designer and still has a need for a QB. He can't just go to any team that's willing to pay and expect success. He's with a team that has as many weapons as any team in the league and has a better than average O line anchored by the best left tackle in the league. He has 3 of the best YAC receivers in the league which allows Kyle to call plays that allow Jimmy to get the ball out quickly so he doesn't need to try and throw downfield. Finding a team that's loaded like the Niners and runs a similar offense and needs a QB won't be easy.

Good observation. Your point is at the heart of the story on Spotrac as to why Jimmy will accept a less-than-top-market deal to stay with the team next season.

By the end of this season, he will have been paid over $125,000,000 in his career. He is represented by a very good agent, the same one as Tom Brady, who has provided him with sound investment opportunities. Jimmy is already well-settled for the rest of his life. Hence, it is reasonable to expect JG to do the same as Brady, and take a lower salary in order to keep key players around him. What Jimmy wants, and what all of the Faithful want, is a ring. He will do his part to get it.
If Jimmy continues this kind of play for the remainder of the season - I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him. I know it gets funky with the finances and Trey etc. i know.

its just hard to find a good QB in this league and with an improved JG, I don't see the reason to move on from a known commodity. Treys exciting and super talented, but unknown.

I'm just glad us fans are enjoying 49ers QB play together for the first time in a long time. I'll support whoever we move forward with but it's an interesting problem to have.
Originally posted by dj43:
Good observation. Your point is at the heart of the story on Spotrac as to why Jimmy will accept a less-than-top-market deal to stay with the team next season.

By the end of this season, he will have been paid over $125,000,000 in his career. He is represented by a very good agent, the same one as Tom Brady, who has provided him with sound investment opportunities. Jimmy is already well-settled for the rest of his life. Hence, it is reasonable to expect JG to do the same as Brady, and take a lower salary in order to keep key players around him. What Jimmy wants, and what all of the Faithful want, is a ring. He will do his part to get it.

Ultimately, I believe it comes down to does Kyle and John want to install Jimmy as the Franchise QB again or not. Also wether Jimmy wants to be the guy. I believe if this happens, Trey is traded or he is Aaron Rodgers for the next 2-3 years. I think he would be traded personally.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I was looking at ADOT as well.

List of QB's with an ADOT of 9.0 or higher

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Mitchell Trubisky
Justin Fields
Russell Wilson
Tua Tagovailoa
Jacoby Brissett
Derek Carr
Josh Allen

List of QB's with an ADOT of less than 8.0