LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 131 users in the forums

Deebo Samuel-WR-South Carolina

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
This kid needs the ball more. Yes he had the fumble, but he's electric with the ball in his hands.

Get Goodwin out of there, every time he get's the ball thrown his way I cringe, it more often than not doesn't end well.

I think Goodwin will not be in the long term plans. I really think Hurd will be our #1 at some point... but I guess I've been riding that train before the draft so I'm biased
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
NFL WR Target Separation Leaders - Week 1

Josh Gordon - 5.25 👀
Deebo Samuel - 3.67
Mohamed Sanu - 3.33
Phillip Dorsett - 3.25
Diontae Johnson - 3.10

blizz can you explain this to me. Is this stat only for when the ball was actually thrown to the WR (because of the word target in the stat)? Or is this an average of all the routes that the WRs ran?

Yes an explanation of that stat would be good. I plan on gif'ing all his man coverage reps if I have the time. There is no way he averaged 3.7 yards(?) of separation over the course of the Bucs game. Reps versus zone coverage shouldn't count when charting average separation imo. I saw him consistently get smothered when lined up as X, split wide.

Separation at point of target (I guess when ball is in catch zone / hitting hands )
Oh. He caught one slant where it was a nice contested catch, one target where he got a shovel pass while directly in front of Jimmy, and two bubble screens. So out of 4 targets, three came from behind the line of scrimmage. That's kind of a misleading stat in this case.

I agree .
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
I am skeptical now of Deebo.

After his fumble they showed a shot of him on the sidelines laughing about it.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, maybe that's just how he deals with frustration.
Originally posted by Crown:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, maybe that's just how he deals with frustration.

Shades of Derek Anderson?

LOL nah I think you're reading too much into it. One thing that I have learned about Deebo from researching him is that he takes his craft and football very seriously. He's not a lackadaisical kind of player by any means.

It's football, you have to have a short memory. You're supposed to make a mental note so it doesn't happen again and then move on. Players can't let one or two bad plays mess with their confidence.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Shades of Derek Anderson?

LOL nah I think you're reading too much into it. One thing that I have learned about Deebo from researching him is that he takes his craft and football very seriously. He's not a lackadaisical kind of player by any means.

Whoah
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
NFL WR Target Separation Leaders - Week 1

Josh Gordon - 5.25 👀
Deebo Samuel - 3.67
Mohamed Sanu - 3.33
Phillip Dorsett - 3.25
Diontae Johnson - 3.10

blizz can you explain this to me. Is this stat only for when the ball was actually thrown to the WR (because of the word target in the stat)? Or is this an average of all the routes that the WRs ran?

Yes an explanation of that stat would be good. I plan on gif'ing all his man coverage reps if I have the time. There is no way he averaged 3.7 yards(?) of separation over the course of the Bucs game. Reps versus zone coverage shouldn't count when charting average separation imo. I saw him consistently get smothered when lined up as X, split wide.

Can you breakdown which wr was able to get the most separation? I know he is having a hard time, but I think that's what Pettis excels at.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Sep 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM ]
Not the best start but he showed some real promise. Def has all the tools, I really think he is going to become a force.

Love his hands and explosion

Let's just hope he was laughing from embarrassment causing his own fumble against his own player. Rookie moment.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Let's just hope he was laughing from embarrassment causing his own fumble against his own player. Rookie moment.

He was like, I once laughed at the famous butt fumble, and I was THIS CLOSE to becoming it.

This kid needs the ball more. Yes he had the fumble, but he's electric with the ball in his hands.

Get Goodwin out of there, every time he get's the ball thrown his way I cringe, it more often than not doesn't end well.

Got to get open to get the ball in your hands.

Based on the video review guys, doesn't seem he was open very much

edit: I think he's being asked to play a bigger role than he's ready for.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Sep 11, 2019 at 4:51 PM ]

The bigger question is why do we never target Goodwin deep? Had we attempted just a couple, it would have easily opened up things underneath.
  • thl408
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Can you breakdown which wr was able to get the most separation? I know he is having a hard time, but I think that's what Pettis excels at.

Pettis only had two snaps vs Bucs but off the top of my head I'd say James was the WR in that game that had the most successful snaps. The play where Bourne was targeted deep and drew an interference call, James ran a really nice route and was wide open. I can't really quantify which WR excelled at gaining separation. I will try to gif those snaps for Deebo.

The reason why I'm saying all this is because I thought Deebo was more of a flanker (Z) than a split end (X). Perhaps my thinking will change when I closely watch his snaps. He's a rookie in his first game so of course I'll factor that.

The bigger question is why do we never target Goodwin deep? Had we attempted just a couple, it would have easily opened up things underneath.

This NC! Our offensive gameplan was straight up garbage and timid. Shanny should be Shanny by now in year 3 WTF
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers808:

This NC! Our offensive gameplan was straight up garbage and timid. Shanny should be Shanny by now in year 3 WTF
I agree about goodwin.. and in regards to kyle. his game plan for half of the game was pretty bad. as we said earlier .. i think jimmys struggles can be traced back to the o line, which i grant was not horrible sunday,, wide outs which were an issue and game plan called by the so called genius . i never saw what people have seen in goodwin. plus i question his desire to play the game
Share 49ersWebzone