LISTEN: Do The 49ers Need To Make A Trade? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Deebo Samuel-WR-South Carolina

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Should Deebo Improve his route running and hands, he'd surely be a top 5 wide receiver In the league.

He's still a beast, though, especially once he has the ball In his hands.

It is interesting listening to JTO. Was that sack on Deebo not hustling, or was it timing as a late leak out?

I counted 2 catchable balls from memory he needed to catch, he tried 1 handing them. One would have been an impressive catch, but uncontested.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Should Deebo Improve his route running and hands, he'd surely be a top 5 wide receiver In the league.

It is interesting listening to JTO. Was that sack on Deebo not hustling, or was it timing as a late leak out?

I counted 2 catchable balls from memory he needed to catch, he tried 1 handing them. One would have been an impressive catch, but uncontested.

Look I dont want to take anything away from Deebo's performance because he played a very good game. Best in a while. We needed him to step up big for us and he came through in a big way. That being said there is a difference between Deebo running with the ball in his hand Vs. Deebo without the ball in his hands. There is a difference when the play is designed to get him the ball vs. a play that he is a secondary option, just another cog, or a decoy. It might have just been he was tired, as we asked a lot more of him this game. I just don't ever remember watching a game and ever questioning plays like that with Ayiuk. To many times last night I remember thinking we looked slow during pass plays without Aiyuk. And Deebo is clearly not slow. It does feel like on certain pass plays he is playing at different levels of speed. IMO it happened to many times last night for my liking. I dont think it will be as a big of problem though once Aiyuk is back and Deebo can get more rest during the game.
[ Edited by Bloodless on Sep 22, 2023 at 6:38 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
What did the television broadcast say? It seemed like an obvious landed on the ball and knocked the wind out of himself type play to us watching the replay on the jumbotron. I dont think anyone in the stadium was concerned he actually hurt himself.

ya i was at the stadium too it looking like the wind was knocked out of him
Deebo went all out and proved he can be a #1 not just a gadget. He broke 4-5 tackles dead to rights on a single play
Originally posted by Since07:
Deebo went all out and proved he can be a #1 not just a gadget. He broke 4-5 tackles dead to rights on a single play

hes proven that since 2021. He just exels at YAC and breaking tackles so we always try to scheme him open in space to utilize that. Doesnt mean he cant run routes and beat people deep
Originally posted by ritz126:

hes proven that since 2021. He just exels at YAC and breaking tackles so we always try to scheme him open in space to utilize that. Doesnt mean he cant run routes and beat people deep

MAKING a very good catch does not make ONE a true ONE..

NOT even our own JOHN TAYLOR was a ONE..
Originally posted by 9moon:

We get it, you don't like Deebo, and want to trade him, but spoiler alert, they're not trading him anytime soon.
Originally posted by Bloodless:

Look I dont want to take anything away from Deebo's performance because he played a very good game. Best in a while. We needed him to step up big for us and he came through in a big way. That being said there is a difference between Deebo running with the ball in his hand Vs. Deebo without the ball in his hands. There is a difference when the play is designed to get him the ball vs. a play that he is a secondary option, just another cog, or a decoy. It might have just been he was tired, as we asked a lot more of him this game. I just don't ever remember watching a game and ever questioning plays like that with Ayiuk. To many times last night I remember thinking we looked slow during pass plays without Aiyuk. And Deebo is clearly not slow. It does feel like on certain pass plays he is playing at different levels of speed. IMO it happened to many times last night for my liking. I dont think it will be as a big of problem though once Aiyuk is back and Deebo can get more rest during the game.

yupp

Great player, but he is an add on type player...

Such a massive difference in watching CMC in the flats and Deebo in the flats.

It is hard to build a timing based passing offense around Deebo, you will get different levels of engagement from down to down.

The 49ers, and Purdy...really need the FO to find another outstanding rout runner. They need a guy that is where he is suppose to be...when he is suppose to be there.

Everyone loves Deebo, glad we have Deebo....but your observations are legitimate....
I rewatched the play he was slow to get up from.

Adoree Jackson landed on top of him with both knees.

Pretty unconventional tackle, IMO. Never seen it done.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by 9moon:

We get it, you don't like Deebo, and want to trade him, but spoiler alert, they're not trading him anytime soon.

CORRECT... U one smart fella !!

Originally posted by Dshearn:

yupp

It is hard to build a timing based passing offense around Deebo, you will get different levels of engagement from down to down.

The 49ers, and Purdy...really need the FO to find another outstanding rout runner. They need a guy that is where he is suppose to be...when he is suppose to be there.

Everyone loves Deebo, glad we have Deebo....but your observations are legitimate....

I agree on finding that outstanding route runner. I essentially want an Aiyuk clone with some speed lol. Im not sure I like the add on title unless you mean the offense can more consistently go through guys like CMC and Aiyuk, then Deebo,Kittle, and Juice supplement what CMC and Aiyuk do (though I do believe Juice can be a consistent and regular target in the passing game).
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

yupp

I agree on finding that outstanding route runner. I essentially want an Aiyuk clone with some speed lol. Im not sure I like the add on title unless you mean the offense can more consistently go through guys like CMC and Aiyuk, then Deebo,Kittle, and Juice supplement what CMC and Aiyuk do (though I do believe Juice can be a consistent and regular target in the passing game).

pretty much exactly what I mean.......

Guys need to be where they are suppose to be, when they are suppose to be there. Young QBs need that more than anyone, guys like Montana, Brock, Brady also need it. They don't have the overwhelming arm to throw a pass late and still get it there on time, and if you have to hold the ball because your WR is late or sloppy on the rout...you just wasted their ability to read and react quickly.

Maybe Bell is already the guy we want, but if not I hope they go out and draft a balls to the wall, max effort, CLEAN rout runner. Brock needs that.

Deebo is great, love the guy.... I think it is fun as heck when the team gadgets the ball to him...it is not nearly as clean when the ball goes his way during a conventional passing attack.

Deebo catches 60% of the balls thrown his way (and we know how many of those are screens boosting his catch total)

for reference

CMC catches 80%

BA catches 78.6%

Kittle catches 72%

We really don't want an offense focused on feeding Deebo in a conventional manner.... we need to lock up BA and then secure a second high quality rout runner.

yupp

pretty much exactly what I mean.......

Guys need to be where they are suppose to be, when they are suppose to be there. Young QBs need that more than anyone, guys like Montana, Brock, Brady also need it. They don't have the overwhelming arm to throw a pass late and still get it there on time, and if you have to hold the ball because your WR is late or sloppy on the rout...you just wasted their ability to read and react quickly.

Maybe Bell is already the guy we want, but if not I hope they go out and draft a balls to the wall, max effort, CLEAN rout runner. Brock needs that.

Deebo is great, love the guy.... I think it is fun as heck when the team gadgets the ball to him...it is not nearly as clean when the ball goes his way during a conventional passing attack.

Deebo catches 60% of the balls thrown his way (and we know how many of those are screens boosting his catch total)

for reference

CMC catches 80%

BA catches 78.6%

Kittle catches 72%

We really don't want an offense focused on feeding Deebo in a conventional manner.... we need to lock up BA and then secure a second high quality rout runner.

19 good where he at..

a good WR and an awesome GADGET..
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

yupp

49ers may have found that route runner - Ronnie Bell did pretty good subbing in for Aiyuk. Jauan also beat man against the Giants. Danny Gray has the speed, but he's not shown any Tyreek Hill consistency and hands, so far. I hope he'll do better next year. As for Deebo, he's built to go over the middle and get YAC yardage, so route running isn't what he needs to do in this offense. He's that big third down Terell Owens/Jerry Rice receiver that gets that 3rd down pass reception and absorbs the LB hit over the middle, or gets YAC in open space. He doesn't need to be a great route runner in this offense, although if he did improve his route running, he'd be hall of fame class as a player.

He is a great player. But this is the downside to Shanahan's insistence on YAC. The skill players take a lot of punishment. That kind of abuse can shorten the careers of some. There was a day and age where Deebo could bounce right back up and keep going after taking abuse like this in every game he played in. But that day and age may be coming to a close. Perhaps Deebo should hit the turf if he's already managed to earn that first down. We are going to need this guy later in the season. It would be a crying shame if we lost him to serious injury.
Share 49ersWebzone