LISTEN: Rookie 49ers Shine Against The Seahawks →

There are 201 users in the forums

CB Jason Verrett IS BACK on IR!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I would think that we would get some intel from Demeco right? The confusing part is both why would we bring him in if Meco said anything other than he's able and at the same time why would Meco release him if he is. It's just the practice squad and not the 53

I'm guessing he couldn't play ST and they needed more depth and want to stay young.

i would love to see him healthy again and play. He has a lot of heart to beef give up on his dream.
He was released by the Texans. He is done.
I would think that we would get some intel from Demeco right? The confusing part is both why would we bring him in if Meco said anything other than he's able and at the same time why would Meco release him if he is. It's just the practice squad and not the 53

The Texans have two very good starting CBs and solid depth behind them.

We have Mooney and some JAGs. If Verrett can play back close to his prior level, he could be an asset.

EDIT: I'm guessing Meco called Lynch and said "I have a guy that we don't need that is better than your JAGs. Want to take a shot at him?"
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 16, 2023 at 5:02 PM ]
Originally posted by dj43:

We have Mooney and some JAGs. If Verrett can play back close to his prior level, he could be an asset.

EDIT: I'm guessing Meco called Lynch and said "I have a guy that we don't need that is better than your JAGs. Want to take a shot at him?"

But they had just signed him to their practice squad like a month ago. I don't think their situation has changed since then. .
[ Edited by RDB4216 on Nov 16, 2023 at 5:29 PM ]
Originally posted by RDB4216:

But they had just signed him to their practice squad like a month ago. I don't think their situation has changed since then. .

Texans injury report had 13 guys listed as either limited or no participation in practice - none of them were CB's.

I'm guessing they might have released JV to make room for depth in other positions.
Originally posted by RDB4216:

Houston secondary has played above expectations.
[ Edited by dj43 on Nov 16, 2023 at 7:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
He was released by the Texans. He is done.

He's been done for awhile tbf
Did we sign him yet?
I find it curious the Texans released him only for him to pup up in SF the next day. Like did Houston throw us a bone knowing they would never play him so might as well let him go here?
Originally posted by miked1978:
I find it curious the Texans released him only for him to pup up in SF the next day. Like did Houston throw us a bone knowing they would never play him so might as well let him go here?

Anybody could have signed him off the Texans PS and anyone could/can sign him now after he was cut

Anybody could have signed him off the Texans PS and anyone could/can sign him now after he was cut

They would have to have him on the 53 if signed off PS. If JV wanted to come back to SF for a PS spot because his chances of playing are higher plus the familiarity he could have asked Meco and he agreed. We will probably never know. The simplest answer is probably the correct one that they cut JV cause he wasn't good and we gave him a try out cause the coaches love the human being.

Then you have to give up a roster spot. It's not like teams have access to tape on their PS and can see if he's good or not. It's a big gamble. FO obviously had a good relationship with Meco so it's possible he gave us good info on where he's at.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
If Verrett can give the 9ers at least 6-7 games that would be a good season for him and the 9ers. That's assuming he's not rusty. It's just so crazy how many injuries this guy has been through and he still comes back for more.
I wonder if Verrett may have asked to be released. Perhaps he saw the depth chart and little chance for making the roster so asked Houston to release so he could look for a place that he might might be able to crack the 53 and get that ring. Of course, with his injuries and age, Occam's Razor says that he's simply not quick enough to be effective.
Looks like we're hoping to sign him to the PS.

I assume one of Womack or more likely Luter Jr will be shut down for the year soon.
Share 49ersWebzone