LISTEN: Rookie 49ers Shine Against The Seahawks →

There are 185 users in the forums

CB Jason Verrett IS BACK on IR!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Patton:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is completely false. I wish we would've held onto young guys, but Verrett isn't the reason Knight isn't here. Also Lenoir and Thomas have had good years. If anything the ONE indisputable fact about Wilks is that our DBs have improved, across the board

Who said Verrett is the reason Knight isn't here?

So you betting that Qwuantrezz Knight would be starting for us was supposed to mean what? He doesn't even start for the Cardinals. No way he was beating out Lenoir, Thomas or for that matter Womack, Luter, or a bag of chips. If our front office is letting young talent get away, what would you consider Luter, Womack, Lenoir, and Thomas?
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Sucks for this man.

Just following his dream and working his tail off.

Sometimes it isnt meant to be.

I despise the throw away culture of "see ya" that some portray.

Hope he has a good back plan or could maybe coach.

I really wouldn't call this throw away culture. It's not like this is is first major injury. It's not even his fifth. Most of the comments I see are saying it's time for him to quit, are concerns for his long term health. He wants to play, no doubt - and he fights back from injuries like crazy. But by the time he is 40, he may really regret that.

agreed - not accusing anyone here.

Have seen on a few message boards "go home mr glass", "waste of space" etc.

Mean spirited people everywhere and I hate that. With that said, his body just isn't built for the rigors of being a professional athlete. I have never seen anything like this ever. We would have to go look at someone like Bill Walton in order to have an example of the injury history of Verrett.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Secondary Coach should be between Johnson or Varrett

I'm surprised it hasn't happened. You figure these have to be really smart guys (along with elite athletic ability in Verrett's case) that know the playbook. Johnson has to have qualified for the NFL pension plan with as many seasons as he has on the books. I am not sure what he plans to do with the rest of his life, but anyone that can hang around that long, while not producing much in terms of on the field impact, would probably make a great coach.
nuff said....

• Cosmo
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
nuff said....

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Yea. I gave him my emotional support as a Niner fan. Thought he could come through. At this point, he's just wasted goods. Tell him to walk and never look back
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Sucks for this man.

Just following his dream and working his tail off.

Sometimes it isnt meant to be.

I despise the throw away culture of "see ya" that some portray.

Hope he has a good back plan or could maybe coach.

I really wouldn't call this throw away culture. It's not like this is is first major injury. It's not even his fifth. Most of the comments I see are saying it's time for him to quit, are concerns for his long term health. He wants to play, no doubt - and he fights back from injuries like crazy. But by the time he is 40, he may really regret that.

agreed - not accusing anyone here.

Have seen on a few message boards "go home mr glass", "waste of space" etc.

Mean spirited people everywhere and I hate that. With that said, his body just isn't built for the rigors of being a professional athlete. I have never seen anything like this ever. We would have to go look at someone like Bill Walton in order to have an example of the injury history of Verrett.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Secondary Coach should be between Johnson or Varrett

I'm surprised it hasn't happened. You figure these have to be really smart guys (along with elite athletic ability in Verrett's case) that know the playbook. Johnson has to have qualified for the NFL pension plan with as many seasons as he has on the books. I am not sure what he plans to do with the rest of his life, but anyone that can hang around that long, while not producing much in terms of on the field impact, would probably make a great coach.

AGree 💯% and I think both would turn into great coaches - if - they coach under Kyle and also have that dedication to the game that Kyle asks of all his players and coaches. It sucks for Verett, but it just may be a way for the Football Gods to tell him to go in a different direction with his life.
Very sad he never could shake the injury curse.
So you betting that Qwuantrezz Knight would be starting for us was supposed to mean what? He doesn't even start for the Cardinals. No way he was beating out Lenoir, Thomas or for that matter Womack, Luter, or a bag of chips. If our front office is letting young talent get away, what would you consider Luter, Womack, Lenoir, and Thomas?

It's supposed to mean just that. We should have kept younger talent. Instead they thought that Verrett was an option when almost every casual could tell you Verrett was a waste of time because he just can't stay healthy.

With the injuries we've had, Knight would have got playing time. With that opportunity he (imo) would have shown his talent.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame

totally agree

It's supposed to mean just that. We should have kept younger talent. Instead they thought that Verrett was an option when almost every casual could tell you Verrett was a waste of time because he just can't stay healthy.

With the injuries we've had, Knight would have got playing time. With that opportunity he (imo) would have shown his talent.

Verrett wasn't even here until like 3 weeks ago, so I'm not sure how Knight even factors into this. Would talent did we lose out on by signing Verrett to the practice squad?

You do realize that Knight was gone long before JV got signed back....right?
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
It's not his fault that this FO let young CB talent get away and are so desperate for CB help that they took a shot on him out of desperation.

Everyone that watches football knows exactly what JV is, except our Management.
Bet they wish now that they would have protected Qwuantrzz Knight right about now. He could start for us right now and be our 2nd best CB, even though that's not saying much, lol.

Honestly never expected anything from him this year. Most frustrating experience was probably two seasons ago when we went into the year with him at the top of the depth chart.

I'm surprised he's even in consideration to play. I think Womack is a way better option that's younger and very talented

Based on what?

Based on the fact he doesn't get hurt everyday and is young, signed for more than a year, and has showed promise in his limited play. I like how physical Womack is. Seems to have a nose for the ball.

Verrett is/was a great talent but he's old, unreliable, and not a part of the future plans. He's been here for nearly 5 years and has managed one year of play.

I feel bad for him but he's been done. I'd rather see a younger talented player like Womack get snaps. I'm not saying Womack will be a better player than Verrett was. I'm saying the team needs to stop attempting to waste snaps on him and give our young guys the snaps.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jan 6, 2024 at 10:31 PM ]

totally agree

The coaches and players seem to love Verrett. So he's most likely extremely intelligent, hard working, and a team player. Sucks cause this guy has done nothing besides get hurt, he isn't a waste like aldon smith. I really do feel bad for him.

just hire him as an assistant secondary coach. Wilks would be an excellent coach for him to learn under, his speciality are DBs.
definitely a resign player, so consistent.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Jan 6, 2024 at 11:42 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:

totally agree

The coaches and players seem to love Verrett. So he's most likely extremely intelligent, hard working, and a team player. Sucks cause this guy has done nothing besides get hurt, he isn't a waste like aldon smith. I really do feel bad for him.

just hire him as an assistant secondary coach. Wilks would be an excellent coach for him to learn under, his speciality are DBs.

This. I have no doubt he'd be an excellent leader and assistant DB coach.
Share 49ersWebzone