George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 140 users in the forums

DE Nick Bosa "Smaller Bear" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I feel like this contract will do to the d-line, line Trent's contract did to the o-line..

What does that mean?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I feel like this contract will do to the d-line, line Trent's contract did to the o-line..

What does that mean?

It means he gets results
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

What does that mean?
It's prerogative, gets the people going
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
If I may, the signing bonus isn't an issue, the team & player usually agrees to a payment arraignment for the bonus, rookies get this, mainly 1st rd picks, they'll basically backload the deal cap wise, frontload cash wise.

As for cap hits, probably something like this, $8.08M(23), $12M(24), $30M+(25-28)

Thanks for adding more context.

I remember reading a while ago that Mark Davis couldn't sign Mack because he simply didn't have the actual cash flow to pay for his signing bonus? From what I've read that cash has to be paid within the first 12-18 months of signing?

I've heard the same thing, the ownership has to have the cash on hand. I trust AB when he says that there are payment methods for it - can you expand on that, AB? Give an example, please?

I read the big reason the team had to get ownerships approval on Hargrave was because we had to fork $28M jn cash to him for his signing bonus, like NY said, need it on hand.

aye AB, I'm bumping this to try and get you to see it. Can you give NY and i an example of how the bonus payment arrangement would look? An example
I am not AB,
Cash over cap, and void years explained

And https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/the-art-of-nfl-contracts-part-1-the-basics
That describes the types of payouts that exist. For this we can ignore injury/skill/workout and (N)LTBE structures because none of us know how that will work out and it is pretty minor all in all. Also this will not account for random restructuring and bonus conversion.

But salary, signing, and roster is the meat. In general signing bonus is the BIG one, That is the cash that goes into escrow. You can play with it, i think you have 12 months to put it in(might be longer due to lateness of the signing) it is spread out over (usually) 5 years, and unless the player nullifies the contract it is there.
So simple numbers 4yr 100m 28m at signing. That 28m CASH HAS TO BE THERE in a locked account that releases the money per terms of the contract by i think start of league year next season. They have changed a bit since the Khalil Mack situation. There is upto a $15m exemption in there to help owners keep their cash out of the account.

Then you have roster bonuses. On roster(MM/DD/YYYY) and it pro rates over up to 5 years once triggered.
And planned salary to bonus conversion, where a huge non guaranteedsalary is ear marked to be spread over up to 5 years.

A recent example is derek carr. He signed a 4 year deal. $60m up front, $32m cap spread over next 5 years.
$9m cap hit this year, $35m next(full guaranteed salary),
and $35m+$10m roster bonus $45m year 3 with a dead cap of $17m($27m if after his $10m roster bonus)

Year 4 base salary skyrockets to $45m+ his 5.7m prorated signing bonus. So $50m but a dead cap hit of only $11m and no guarantees except his initial pro rated.
Year 5 he is a free agent, but still accounts for $5.7m of the 2027 Saints cap. The saints can convert any salary to bonus and spread say $20m of the $35m '25 salary into 2026, 27, 28, and 29 cap years at $5m a year.
This can be the basis of a new contract if they want to keep him long term. You can convert much of his year 3 or 4 salary into a bonus and spread it out to lower the cap number and then just repeat the process. Sign him to a (3) year extension with void(not under contract) years with some of the conversion bonus to help with the cap in years he is under contract.

The saints abused this strategy, and likely should have just took their medicine this year and next. I can see the niners doing this heavily in 5 years if Purdy turns out to be the real deal.
[ Edited by jdt84_2 on Aug 23, 2023 at 12:33 AM ]
I actually recommend figuring out how to read overthecap and spotrac. They are not the greatest separately, but together they are awesome.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
AGree 💯%, and from a 2024 cap standpoint the players that I see will be the hardest to retain capwise if we win that #6 🏆 will be Trey Lance, Brandon Aiyuk, Kyle Juszczyk, possibly Drey Greenlaw. If Trent Williams retires this year after a possible super bowl win, that's also a bunch of dead cap money 49ers have to deal with . ShanaLYnch has to get that rookie left tackle in place this next offseason or 49ers are going to be really hurting, capwise.

I don't think we keep Juice, unless he takes a big pay cut, unfortunately. He's important to what we are doing but I feel like that is why we are targeting guys like colleto.
I think we will resign BA. Keep our top two WR and then filling behind them with cheap young players like jennings/bell.

i worry about greenlaw but I'm optimistic we can keep him. I'm not concerned about Trent retiring, he loves the game too much and is too damn good.

I"ve seen Staley retire despite still being able to play at a high level. Once the fire and passion goes out, retirement is not far behind. Specially if you have 100 million in the bank for the rest of your life to enjoy it. Once Trent has his super bowl ring, all bets are off with regards to retirement as far as I'm concerned.

I think we can keep Greenlaw, but we can let him go a la McGlinchy if we strike it rich with another linebacker like Azeez 2.0. If you draft well and find gems like Purdy and Ronnie Bell, you will never get into cap hell. Like for example, do you keep Aiyuk if a guy like Ronnie Bell is doing as good a job? I dunno.

As for cash on hand, an NFL team is worth 6+ billion dollars and any bank would probably lend money to the 49ers to pay for player salary with no problems. Corporations have short term debt in the billions in some cases (apple, intel, GM). The problem isn't cash on hand, in my opinion, since the NFL just did a 100 billion dollar deal with it's broadcast partners two years ago, and another 7+ billion dollar deal last year with YouTube. It's the cap and how you fit the player salary into the cap that's the problem.
Pay the man

can't wait to see bosa lined up next to this monster

could be awhile yet
Originally posted by Sickaa:

can't wait to see bosa lined up next to this monster

could be awhile yet

my sources(a dream I had) says Bosa signs this weekend

AGree 💯%, and from a 2024 cap standpoint the players that I see will be the hardest to retain capwise if we win that #6 🏆 will be Trey Lance, Brandon Aiyuk, Kyle Juszczyk, possibly Drey Greenlaw. If Trent Williams retires this year after a possible super bowl win, that's also a bunch of dead cap money 49ers have to deal with . ShanaLYnch has to get that rookie left tackle in place this next offseason or 49ers are going to be really hurting, capwise.

I don't think we keep Juice, unless he takes a big pay cut, unfortunately. He's important to what we are doing but I feel like that is why we are targeting guys like colleto.
I think we will resign BA. Keep our top two WR and then filling behind them with cheap young players like jennings/bell.

i worry about greenlaw but I'm optimistic we can keep him. I'm not concerned about Trent retiring, he loves the game too much and is too damn good.

I"ve seen Staley retire despite still being able to play at a high level. Once the fire and passion goes out, retirement is not far behind. Specially if you have 100 million in the bank for the rest of your life to enjoy it. Once Trent has his super bowl ring, all bets are off with regards to retirement as far as I'm concerned.

I think we can keep Greenlaw, but we can let him go a la McGlinchy if we strike it rich with another linebacker like Azeez 2.0. If you draft well and find gems like Purdy and Ronnie Bell, you will never get into cap hell. Like for example, do you keep Aiyuk if a guy like Ronnie Bell is doing as good a job? I dunno.

As for cash on hand, an NFL team is worth 6+ billion dollars and any bank would probably lend money to the 49ers to pay for player salary with no problems. Corporations have short term debt in the billions in some cases (apple, intel, GM). The problem isn't cash on hand, in my opinion, since the NFL just did a 100 billion dollar deal with it's broadcast partners two years ago, and another 7+ billion dollar deal last year with YouTube. It's the cap and how you fit the player salary into the cap that's the problem.

No way in hell am I letting Aiyuk walk if I can resign him just because I seen Bell a 7th rd pick play well in the preseason.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

No way in hell am I letting Aiyuk walk if I can resign him just because I seen Bell a 7th rd pick play well in the preseason.

She was speaking in hypotheticals about a future possible decision we might have to one day make, not a prognostication of how Bell is going to perform based on a couple preseason appearances. And she's absolutely correct. If we have Bell or any other player on a rookie contract clearly outperforming the vet ahead of him on the depth chart, then we need to make a trade asap. As much as it would twist my nuts to see Deebo playing for another team, if it was because we drafted the second coming of Jerry Rice to replace him then so be it.
[ Edited by MrGriz on Aug 23, 2023 at 8:14 AM ]
Bosa is going to sign today, just to give me a birthday present. Y'all are welcome.
I never ever again want to hear Lynch talking about his "pretty good track record" when it comes to extending contracts.
29 Days....are you kidding me?
PAY THE MAN
Andy Reid doesn't sound nearly as optimistic about Chris Jones as Shanahan does about Bosa.

Really hope Bosa/his agent aren't insistent on waiting for Jones' contract to get done first…
Share 49ersWebzone