These thread bumps get me going

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by MrGriz:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by TD49ers:
He plays football........he shouldnt be on a pedestal.

I agree that market dictates (our fault as fans ) but he should be honourable enough play out his contract at 17 million. The fans that support him make a very small fraction.

Bigger picture is we complain about the 1% and the rich getting richer while defending entitled pro athletes makes millions that play a game.

Do actually think fans will stop forking over $300, $400, $500 per ticket? Stop buying merch? Stop watching?

Whether you like it or not, his circumstances are fundamentally different than any of ours. We also have the right to hire an agent or attorney during contract negotiations, but there's much less any of us can only do that any number of other applicants can. And if the niners don't pay him, there are plenty of other teams that could jump at that opportunity. I've never felt that Bosa was a Ra-ra Go Team! type of guy. He builds himself up in his lab. He and his brother are serious progressional DEs, more like mercenaries than a leader like Fred. But if we want to win a SB, you better believe we'll need him.

You're right that fans are willing to fork over big bucks for tickets but there will come a time when only the elite will be able to attend. $500 per game is already out of reach for the majority of fans. I know when they moved to Santa Clara many of the long time fans said no to the high priced seat licenses and the high ticket prices. So what happened was a lot of tickets were bought up by agencies and corporations. They still sold a lot of seats but it's not always the same fans there every week.

On top of that the NFL is selling the rights to show their games to the highest bidders. Piece by piece the ability to watch for free is disappearing. Then they have the crazy blackout policies which eliminates even more viewers. We have a thread on this forum that appears with some regularity on how to watch the games. Why? It should be easy to just turn on your set and sit back and enjoy. Instead the NFL, which is by far the most popular sport seems more interested in making money than making it easy for fans to watch.

I agree there should be a point of diminishing returns, but we haven't seen it yet. Demand remains very high.

You're right and that's part of the problem. Fans are the enablers. The NFL is more profitable than any of the other sports. The franchise are among the most valuable. The players are getting paid more and more. The ratings for games remains high. When was the last time the league gave something back to the fans? Instead they keep raising prices and making it harder to watch the games. It's like they're playing a game of chicken with the fans.

It's called business. If people will pay more for your product, raise the price. The NFL is no different than any other business in that way.

That doesn't mean we should be happy abut it. People are complaining about inflation, especially for food but they seem willing to pay for something they don't need. Gas goes up 25 cents per gallon and people go crazy. Tickets go up $25 per game and nobody complains. It makes no sense.

The price of gas effects virtually everyone. What percent of people are affected by rising ticket prices?
Bosa is great to have on the team. I'm just over him making it all about him. I don't care if it's a business decision. He plays games with his team and him bickering about a few million just causes his teammates to be shown the door. I'm over him being bigger than the team. If we had a high priced QB he would of been delt already
Originally posted by wisecraft:
Bosa is great to have on the team. I'm just over him making it all about him. I don't care if it's a business decision. He plays games with his team and him bickering about a few million just causes his teammates to be shown the door. I'm over him being bigger than the team. If we had a high priced QB he would of been delt already

Dumb. Literally a pass rusher entering their prime is the best thing you can spend your money on other than a franchise qb. And maybe we already have that. So pay the man what he wants, front load it as best you can and call it a day
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by BP22:
Tj watt didnt sign his deal until September 9, chill

Tired of people comparing this situation to TJ. Watt was with the team every minute of training camp and leading up to game 1. He just wasn't practicing in tram drills or playing in the preseason. He was in meetings and everything. Bosa is a ghost.
Originally posted by CrabsAndVD:

Dumb. Literally a pass rusher entering their prime is the best thing you can spend your money on other than a franchise qb. And maybe we already have that. So pay the man what he wants, front load it as best you can and call it a day

Dumb post. Pay the guy what he wants???Great idea, why don't we just let bosa and Fred warner, CMC, and Trent Williams negotiate their contracts too. Loser response
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Tired of people comparing this situation to TJ. Watt was with the team every minute of training camp and leading up to game 1. He just wasn't practicing in tram drills or playing in the preseason. He was in meetings and everything. Bosa is a ghost.

Fair point. We have a new DC as well.

I am not sure what the hold up really is. Just make him the highest paid defenseive player and be done. No need to go overboard, just copy recent resets of positional salaries (in terms of how much more than the previous, by percent).
Dumb post. Pay the guy what he wants???Great idea, why don't we just let bosa and Fred warner, CMC, and Trent Williams negotiate their contracts too. Loser response

They do negotiate their contracts, lol.

You seem pretty irate for a guy with no insight into where either side actually stands in negotiations. All you really know is a deal hasn't been agreed to.
"He needs time to learn the defense"

ummm….Bosa has one job, rush the passer, pretty simple. Some of you really overcomplicate a children's game
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Sep 4, 2023 at 11:46 AM ]
sign off
sign in
sign on
American Sign Language
plus sign
high sign
sign language
dollar sign
stop sign
sign of the cross
star sign
equal sign
road sign
V sign
street sign
multiplication sign
exit sign
sign of the times
zodiacal sign
warning sign
peace sign

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by BP22:
Tj watt didnt sign his deal until September 9, chill

oh no, that changes.....absolutely nothing
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Correct me if I'm wrong for the people that think we should play hardball

1. Bosa is still under contract this year so no shows so far are penalties adding up against him. He has to show up sometime this year because we own his rights and there's a breach of contract.

2. At the end of this year we can still franchise tag him for next year, so we own him next year as well.

Both options above make him, his agent, and family very unhappy but that's the truth if you take out the massive impact to the team to have him missing. When he was hurt we saw what happened to our D and record. Granted Lynch/Shanny screwed up the earlier picks anyway.

You're not wrong. Niners have the leverage on the current contract, but if they are to exercise that leverage they immediately enter the animosity zone with Bosa. A elite player playing disgruntingly, forcibly is a questionable tactic. Moreover it will just look bad for the FO. Trading Lance away stirred the pot a bit, but playing hardball with Bosa who is truly elite and extremely impacrful player, will bring that pot to a boil. And it's not only fans in terms of optics. Those fellow 49er defensive players who have seen him dominate, they won't be too happy either. It's a bad move morale wise.

This is why I think Bosa (or rather his agent) have more leverage in negotiating a new contract. The agent understanda that Niners cornered themselves . Niners say there is zero chance of Bosa being traded, they are also a win-now team that even if they trade him they need elite player(s) in return not picks, to be a contender this year. They need him to play this year.
There's no way we let go of Bosa, but it makes me wonder what it'd take to trade him. I couldn't imagine letting him go for even 4 1st round picks
Originally posted by Since07:
There's no way we let go of Bosa, but it makes me wonder what it'd take to trade him. I couldn't imagine letting him go for even 4 1st round picks

noobodys gonna give 4 firsts except for kevin costner. I imagine the khalil mack trade would be the benchmark. 2 firsts a third and a sixth, or some combination of that. This is why trading Bosa isn't appealing to SF, among other reasons. 4 firsts is a fantasy that will never happen for any player.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
These thread bumps get me going

Share 49ersWebzone