There are 130 users in the forums

DE Nick Bosa "Smaller Bear" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Maybe you guys have inside knowledge that they coach him to crash down and just tackle the rb every time. IF so we have the worst defensive coaches in the league. That's no way to defend the read option. Bose is supposed to contain the qb as the unblocked DE. He shouldn't just crash down. He should keep his shoulders square and diagnosis the play. IF the qb keeps it then he should have a spot to get to try to cut off the qb. If the qb does hand the ball off then he just trails behind the play. Fred, Huf, and Winters all did a bad job diagnosing the play as well. They all thought it was an inside hand off. And if we are expecting Campbell to beat his block and tackle Murray in the open field then that just goes right back to the niners having really dumb coaches.

guess there's a lot of bad coaching out there
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Oct 8, 2024 at 12:30 PM ]
Maybe you guys have inside knowledge that they coach him to crash down and just tackle the rb every time. IF so we have the worst defensive coaches in the league. That's no way to defend the read option. Bose is supposed to contain the qb as the unblocked DE. He shouldn't just crash down. He should keep his shoulders square and diagnosis the play. IF the qb keeps it then he should have a spot to get to try to cut off the qb. If the qb does hand the ball off then he just trails behind the play. Fred, Huf, and Winters all did a bad job diagnosing the play as well. They all thought it was an inside hand off. And if we are expecting Campbell to beat his block and tackle Murray in the open field then that just goes right back to the niners having really dumb coaches.

That's one way to defend read plays, but the 49ers have never used that technique under Kocurek. Kocurek doesn't ask his ends to slow play the mesh point and squeeze down the line. Since he's all about playing fast, he uses a scrape exchange and has his ends crash the dive. It's the responsibility of the backside LB to scrape over the top and exchange gap responsibilities with the end. It's been this way for many years now.

In regards to Campbell, he needs to fight across the tight end's face and force Murray back inside to his help. Ward, Hufanga and the entire LB group failed on that play. Bosa literally slanted inside. Not sure why anyone is focused on him.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 8, 2024 at 1:37 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

That's one way to defend read plays, but the 49ers have never used that technique under Kocurek. Kocurek doesn't ask his ends to slow play the mesh point and squeeze down the line. Since he's all about playing fast, he uses a scrape exchange and has his ends crash the dive. It's the responsibility of the backside LB to scrape over the top and exchange gaps with the end.

It's been this way for many years now.

I don't want to see Bosa 1 on 1 vs Murray in the open field after what Jameis Winston did to him.
  • thl408
Both accounts are wrong(Yesterday and SB). The left side of the DL slanted inside. Re-watch the play. I'd point out who was likely to blame on the play, but it would only infuriate you even more.

What's your take on the play? I see the slanting by the DL. I think the blame is on DeVondre Campbell, if my assessment of the run fits are correct. Then to compound the issue, Huf decides to get crazy and stick his nose in the middle instead of playing safety.

edit: oh just saw your post above.
[ Edited by thl408 on Oct 8, 2024 at 1:09 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
What's your take on the play? I see the slanting by the DL. I think the blame is on DeVondre Campbell, if my assessment of the run fits are correct. Then to compound the issue, Huf decides to get crazy and stick his nose in the middle instead of playing safety.

Yup, that's why I said he(lamontb) was going to be infuriated if I pointed the finger at who I thought was the primary culprit.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 8, 2024 at 1:09 PM ]
  • thl408

That's one way to defend read plays, but the 49ers have never used that technique under Kocurek. Kocurek doesn't ask his ends to slow play the mesh point and squeeze down the line. Since he's all about playing fast, he uses a scrape exchange and has his ends crash the dive. It's the responsibility of the backside LB to scrape over the top and exchange gap responsibilities with the end. It's been this way for many years now.

In regards to Campbell, he needs to get in his gap and fight across the tight end's face and force Murray back inside to his help. Ward, Hufanga and the entire LB group failed on that play. Bosa literally slanted inside. Not sure why anyone is focused on him.

I can't blame Warner and Mooney much. Warner has to honor the playside A gap, which he did. Mooney did his job and kept outside contain. Bosa did nothing wrong. The 49ers got outnumbered from the TE sifting across the formation to get Mooney. The more I watch it, the more I blame Huf. What he did turned it from a good gain to a house call.
I can't blame Warner and Mooney much. Warner has to honor the playside A gap, which he did. Mooney did his job and kept outside contain. Bosa did nothing wrong. The 49ers got outnumbered from the TE sifting across the formation to get Mooney. The more I watch it, the more I blame Huf. What he did turned it from a good gain to a house call.

I thought Mooney could've played the kicker more aggressively and forced Murray back inside a little more, but he was probably worried about giving up contain and Murray running right by him that he allows himself to get widened a bit.

Yeah, Huf was lost.

Campbell is just awful.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 8, 2024 at 1:50 PM ]

I thought Mooney could've played the kicker more aggressively and forced Murray back inside a little more, but he was probably worried about giving up contain and Murray running right by him that he allows himself to get widened a bit.

Yeah, Huf was lost.

Campbell is just awful.

Alright that's it I'm ready to scrap both of you outside right now!!

……..Huff absolutely deserves blame on that play and Campbell seems to blow on every play
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

this BOSA to the RB responsibility is dumb... I would have rather BOSA contain the QB especially someone like DOPEY of the Cards who can really run and for the LB to play as a support...

DOPEY gets to the outside, and he's more dangerous than Connor running between does Tackles..

stupid stupid stupid..
Originally posted by 9moon:
this BOSA to the RB responsibility is dumb... I would have rather BOSA contain the QB especially someone like DOPEY of the Cards who can really run and for the LB to play as a support...

DOPEY gets to the outside, and he's more dangerous than Connor running between does Tackles..

stupid stupid stupid..

Yes.

I don't undrestand that we always do this scrappe exchange thing because it never has worked for us.

Guys saying that this is a good way to defend the read-option for us don't think by themselves or don't understand what they are seeing because everytime we do the scrappe exchange we always get burned by that play.
[ Edited by Monsterniner on Oct 8, 2024 at 6:52 PM ]

Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Yes.

I don't undrestand that we always do this scrappe exchange thing because it never has worked for us.

Guys saying that this is a good way to defend the read-option for us don't think by themselves or don't understand what they are seeing because everytime we do the scrappe exchange we always get burned by that play.

Who is saying this is a good way to defend the read option for us? All I've seen are people explaining what the 49ers' defense is doing--not that it's good or bad, right or wrong. 9moon is the only person I've seen on this page giving his opinion on the technique, and he's clearly not a fan of it.

I actually said after the SB that the 49ers' coaches need to do a better of varying their end's read technique because it was painfully obvious after the Niners had 2 TFLs from crashing ends that Reid/Mahomes were going to burn them with it.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 8, 2024 at 7:21 PM ]
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Losing leverage on the Murray TD cost us 7 points though.

same thing loss us the Super Bowl

Both accounts are wrong(Yesterday and SB). The left side of the DL slanted inside. Re-watch the play. I'd point out who was likely to blame on the play, but it would only infuriate you even more.

Agreed, but makes me ask if you think the scheme needs refinement or is weak with that etc?

Or since you are the DPOTY, maybe take a chance hold the edge and take down the QB. If he had done that he would have a ring. Instead, right or wrong you get to blame scheme.

If he doesn't crash then the ball doesn't get kept by QB and there's a hole where he's supposed to crash.

Not only that- the poster literally wants Bosa to not carry out his assignment. What did Spencer Burford not carrying out his assignment cost us? Nothing wrong with how they play the read option. The goal is to account for if the QB keeps the ball and if they hand off. Bosa did his job. Just like he did in the Super Bowl with Mahommes. The linebacker or safety needs to do theirs and get the QB.

There's fans who understand gap integrity and those that do not.

This has nothing to do with a technical understanding. A player needs to have instincts and some freedom especially with Bosas stature. This is a read option play........enjoy his gap integrity. I would much rather have a ring. I dont really enjoy watching Murray make the defense look like fools as he points to the end zone at the 50 yard line!. At least he has Gap integrity!l!

So instead of the team, like all 11 men carrying out their assignments on a play by play basis, and holding the team accountable where the assignment accounts for every possibility of the read option- whether the QB hands off or keeps it, you'd rather 1 man play off his instincts. Got it.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Losing leverage on the Murray TD cost us 7 points though.

same thing loss us the Super Bowl

Agreed, but makes me ask if you think the scheme needs refinement or is weak with that etc?

Or since you are the DPOTY, maybe take a chance hold the edge and take down the QB. If he had done that he would have a ring. Instead, right or wrong you get to blame scheme.

If he doesn't crash then the ball doesn't get kept by QB and there's a hole where he's supposed to crash.

Not only that- the poster literally wants Bosa to not carry out his assignment. What did Spencer Burford not carrying out his assignment cost us? Nothing wrong with how they play the read option. The goal is to account for if the QB keeps the ball and if they hand off. Bosa did his job. Just like he did in the Super Bowl with Mahommes. The linebacker or safety needs to do theirs and get the QB.

There's fans who understand gap integrity and those that do not.

This has nothing to do with a technical understanding. A player needs to have instincts and some freedom especially with Bosas stature. This is a read option play........enjoy his gap integrity. I would much rather have a ring. I dont really enjoy watching Murray make the defense look like fools as he points to the end zone at the 50 yard line!. At least he has Gap integrity!l!

So instead of the team, like all 11 men carrying out their assignments on a play by play basis, and holding the team accountable where the assignment accounts for every possibility of the read option- whether the QB hands off or keeps it, you'd rather 1 man play off his instincts. Got it.

Spencer Burford approves that method
Originally posted by 9moon:

stupid stupid stupid..

I get it. Id rather someone more athletic on the QB, but I get your objection. Switching who is responsible for what makes more sense than freelancing to me. With that said, it's clear what the coaches prefer. I'm curious why they prefer it and why have we been burned by so many runs- Fields in 2022, Mahommes in the Super Bowl, and Murray last Sunday (i.e. why are the linebackers not carrying out their assignment).
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Oct 9, 2024 at 9:01 AM ]

That's one way to defend read plays, but the 49ers have never used that technique under Kocurek. Kocurek doesn't ask his ends to slow play the mesh point and squeeze down the line. Since he's all about playing fast, he uses a scrape exchange and has his ends crash the dive. It's the responsibility of the backside LB to scrape over the top and exchange gaps with the end.

It's been this way for many years now.

I don't want to see Bosa 1 on 1 vs Murray in the open field after what Jameis Winston did to him.

This is what I posted regarding it. Rather have someone more athletic on the QB. They want Bosa to tear his ACL
Share 49ersWebzone