There are 241 users in the forums

DE Nick Bosa "Smaller Bear" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Sometimes I feel like we use these pressure stats (which I never heard of prior to a couple of years ago) to justify an overpaid-pretty-good edge rusher.

Cause it didn't become a seriously tracked statistic but players and coaches have always said pressure>sacks.

Sure, it would be great to get a sack every time but getting pressures often is an awesome thing too - making the qb hurry or getting them off their spot. That stuff matters and disrupts plays.

I wish we would trade for a really good DT and an Omenihu type guy as a rotational PR.

but idk how some think pressures aren't important. It also depends on consistency. Are you getting consistent pressure and disrupting plays or just one every 15 pass rush snaps. Etc. Analyzing these guys and their performance is so much more than looking at a single stat.
Sometimes I feel like we use these pressure stats (which I never heard of prior to a couple of years ago) to justify an overpaid-pretty-good edge rusher.

Because there's folks who can actually track everything now. Same s**t with air yards, yac, EPA etc etc.

coaches have always said consistent pressure is more important than getting one sack a game.

Trying or poo poo like that is silly. Dude is damn good and guys who get consistent pressure are the best guys at rushing the passer, there's a massive correlation.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Sure, it would be great to get a sack every time but getting pressures often is an awesome thing too - making the qb hurry or getting them off their spot. That stuff matters and disrupts plays.

I wish we would trade for a really good DT and an Omenihu type guy as a rotational PR.

but idk how some think pressures aren't important. It also depends on consistency. Are you getting consistent pressure and disrupting plays or just one every 15 pass rush snaps. Etc. Analyzing these guys and their performance is so much more than looking at a single stat.

Right….would we rather have a guy who doesn't get constant pressure every game BUT wins that one rep to get a sack a game?

the correlation of pressure rate to the best pass rushers in the NFL is pretty obvious, not sure why anyone would be debating why it matters

FACTS
Pressure can also be a "made up" stat, for example;

On 4th down in the super bowl on that zone read play when Bosa rushed in and hit the tailback which allowed PM to run for the 1st down. Would Bosa be credited for a pressure on that play? I mean PM ran because Bosa came screaming down to the A Gap.
I think everyone understands that pressure is important. It's just frustrating that Bosa isn't able to get more sacks. Even when he's getting his hands on the QB he's not getting the sack. Someone else may get it or the QB is getting the pass off. That's what concerns me. Sometimes those passes that happen after the pressure result in big gains because the receivers are able to find open space. I hate seeing 3rd and 10 completions for 1st downs or even bigger gains.

Let's keep the pressure. After all you can't get sacks without it. They just need to convert some of that pressure to sacks. Make those 3rd downs even longer. Maybe force a QB fumble.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

On 4th down in the super bowl on that zone read play when Bosa rushed in and hit the tailback which allowed PM to run for the 1st down. Would Bosa be credited for a pressure on that play? I mean PM ran because Bosa came screaming down to the A Gap.

Clearly you are not familiar with how pressures are calculated.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I think everyone understands that pressure is important. It's just frustrating that Bosa isn't able to get more sacks. Even when he's getting his hands on the QB he's not getting the sack. Someone else may get it or the QB is getting the pass off. That's what concerns me. Sometimes those passes that happen after the pressure result in big gains because the receivers are able to find open space. I hate seeing 3rd and 10 completions for 1st downs or even bigger gains.

Let's keep the pressure. After all you can't get sacks without it. They just need to convert some of that pressure to sacks. Make those 3rd downs even longer. Maybe force a QB fumble.

Need the secondary to actually cover the guy long enough to get home.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

lol clearly
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Need the secondary to actually cover the guy long enough to get home.

He is getting there. He's just not finishing. I've seen several plays where he actually gets his hands on the QB and he slips out.

Clearly you are not familiar with football in real life away from the computer screen and data.

LOL

Clearly you are not familiar with football in real life away from the computer screen and data.

LOL

Yeah he's the one in this debate who's struggling with understanding the basics of football.

FACTS

OPINION
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

LOL

Yeah he's the one in this debate who's struggling with understanding the basics of football.

Yea, it takes data from a computer to truly understand the basics of football.
Share 49ersWebzone