LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 245 users in the forums

DE Nick Bosa "Smaller Bear" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Grant still b***hing FWIW

Grant Cohn getting free airtime in these threads by people who hate what he posts is an irony I will never fully understand.

sorry
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Can you explain Josh Allen who everyone was saying had no counters, couldn't rush with hand in dirt etc...

Sometimes guys just aren't asked to do certain things in college so people assume they can't. Roger Craig and Tom Rathman were mostly used as blocking backs in college. Somehow Walsh figured out they both could run and pass.
Originally posted by genus49:
Not everyone was saying that. Some people, including myself, thought Bosa was simply a more NFL ready prospect but pretty much everyone thought Allen would be a very good player in his own right.

But Allen also went to a perfect situation for him where he gets to play with some really good defensive players where he can't get a lot of extra attention.

I'm sure all those teams are happy with their guys. Question is wtf was Oakland thinking?

Yeah I don't think anyone hated Allen. I mean I didn't...Bosa IMO was the better prospect and so far that's correct.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Totally unsurprising stats. Sweat was probably the least nuanced and skilled of the top pass rushers in the draft. He has the highest learning curve of any of them.

Rashaan Gary says hi.
Originally posted by okdkid:

Grant Cohn getting free airtime in these threads by people who hate what he posts is an irony I will never fully understand.

sorry

Unless those same people (which are probably a handful at best) actually click on his links, we are good to call him a db whenever we want.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Totally unsurprising stats. Sweat was probably the least nuanced and skilled of the top pass rushers in the draft. He has the highest learning curve of any of them.

Rashaan Gary says hi.

Phoenix doesn't understand what Gary's job was. Context man context
i'm a bosa bro
Grant Cohn needs a warm glass of milk to fall asleep.
In the context of a player, it is fair to want more sacks from a player. Usually a 17+ sack guy is better than one with 12 as far as disruptiveness.

However, in the context of the defense, more pressure is always welcome because there are other guys who can get sacks along that DL. Dee Ford comes to mind when watching last year's and even this year's tape......he just forces that QB to step over and up a lot. For someone who did ok with sacks last year but not amazing, the eye test so far shows a great pass rusher.

If LT played on a team of bums, not so sure he would have been considered the greatest defensive player of all time. I still have fresh memory of Aaron Lynch giving it his all on that 2015 SNF game against the Giants as the only guy getting any semblance of pressure, but ultimately no cigar on Eli.

And in the context of Aldon Smith, even if he was maybe better than Bosa & Ford now/future, we still didn't have the complementary guy on the other side. Brooks was certainly good, but not on Bosa/Ford level. Justin Smith might be in a league of his own, but Buckner isn't far off.

Overall I think you have to like this DL more than what Fangio had to work with as far as pass rush, except maybe that one week we had an insane DL against the Giants 2014 leading to 5 Eli picks (Aldon, Justin, Lynch, Tank, with Borland free roaming). Only time will tell how good our LBs will be in shutting down the run and the like.

So awesome to even have a real conversation of this type. Guys like Ronald Blair go from potential to actually doing stuff....

Can you explain Josh Allen who everyone was saying had no counters, couldn't rush with hand in dirt etc...

I don't remember anyone saying that Allen couldn't do those things. I remember several people saying he hadn't showed it yet, which is a huge difference, and a fair concern. I think a guy like that is a huge gamble. He could develop the skills to add with his crazy athleticism to be an awesome edge, or he could fail to put it together and be an Aaron Curry. The middle ground is a decent rusher who is athletic enough to do other stuff really well, like Brice Irvin. Personally, that isn't a gamble I'd take at #2, with a NFL-ready stud like Bosa available.

People wanting to act like Allen was getting sh!t on constantly are revising events, IMO. I would have been excited about Allen with a top 10-15 pick; I just wouldn't take him over Bosa. You have to nail a #2 pick (especially after taking Thomas at #3), and Bosa was, imo, a near-sure thing.

Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Sometimes guys just aren't asked to do certain things in college so people assume they can't. Roger Craig and Tom Rathman were mostly used as blocking backs in college. Somehow Walsh figured out they both could run and pass.

Whoa amigo.... both were featured in college. Craig was a 1000 yard rusher and Rathman was an 800 yard FB.

Walsh did use both of them as fullbacks (before Craig went to halfback). Walsh has a terrible draft history with RBs... but he had an idea both of these guys moved very well for their size
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
So now we are counting almost got to the QB. But didn't quite get there.

Yea, it's called pressure and it's kinda important
Leads to silly things like rushed passes that turn into interceptions and incompletions
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'm not ashamed to say that I was wrong about Bosa. I had serious concerns about his ability to be an effective NFL pass rusher and thought Quinnen Williams was the better overall prospect and should've been the pick. Of course that still might be the case but Bosa is an absolute beast! It's pretty amazing to see a rookie 3 games into his career (and still not 100% healthy) so easily handle veteran NFL veteran offensive lineman. With his skill, strength and relentlessness, I can see him eventually being on the same level of a Khalil Mack, J.J. Watt, Clowney, etc.
You just did something not everyone can do, you get a chuck Norris thumbs up, and I don't mean that as a smart remark.

The production Bosa had generated is on par with a Von Miller, Mack, or any other top edge guy over the past decade. He's showing he can be the better of the Bosa boys.

What I liked about him coming out was his refined technical ability. He didn't rely on pure athleticism to win. The guys that do are extremely rare because the NFL is littered with exceptional athletes, you have to be even more exceptional to win by that and athletic ability is the first thing you lose, usually.

It's why pocket QB's win SB's past 30 and running QB's don't.

It's interesting that you write this because that's the reason that I wasn't totally sold on him. I didn't think he had the speed/quickness it takes to be a dominant pass rusher, and if they were going to take someone at #2 overall, they had to have the potential to be dominant. I didn't fully appreciate how advanced he was technically, and how much of a difference that would make. He really is amazing to watch, and can only get better over time which is a scary thought.

I think that also comes from only looking at his 40 time. His 10 yard split was elite level. Similar to Von, Clowney, Aldon, Mack. So in the first ten yards he's just as fast as anyone other elite rusher.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Rashaan Gary says hi.

Phoenix doesn't understand what Gary's job was. Context man context

I have not watched the other guys.... but it's Crystal clear to me the effect the 49ers total passrush is having on Bosa's production.

Bosa is not getting a lot of clean blind side rushes. The rest of the DL is disrupting the QB as well.... I am certain he would have a few more sacks if Ford and the rest were not in the QBs face so often.

I could not be happier about Bosa production... it's not all about one guys stats week in and week out the guy is winning his battles. The 49ers have a franchise DE, performing like a franchise DE his rookie season.

Which ever one of you b*****ds sacrificed the small furry animals to the gods that be... thank you
Share 49ersWebzone