There are 244 users in the forums

DE Nick Bosa "Smaller Bear" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Totally agree. I wish I knew what "win rate" meant exactly. If the pass rusher spends 4+ seconds to get around the OLman to pressure a QB that is holding on to the ball for too long, is that a win?

Pass Rush Win Rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Pass Rush Win Rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds.

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by NCommand:

IMO, this is the most important stat for a pass rusher. If a player is winning, he's on his way to affecting the quarterback, hurrying a throw, or getting a sack. And it's also the best measure of sustainability.

ex: if a pass rusher gets a sack, but has a low win rate, it was more often than not a clean-up or coverage sack. Thus, it's likely unsustainable. Don't expect to continue getting those.

Totally agree. I wish I knew what "win rate" meant exactly. If the pass rusher spends 4+ seconds to get around the OLman to pressure a QB that is holding on to the ball for too long, is that a win?

It looks at players in somewhat of a vacuum. Here's a link to an article where they sort of explain it. https://www.pff.com/news/pro-signature-stats-spotlight-defensive-line

They spotlight a play by Myles Garrett where he won his pass rush very quickly but the ball was out of the QB's hands very quickly, before he could get close enough for a pressure. They don't just take stats and run them through calculations, they're looking at each play and then assigning their own signature to it.

So, for example, if a QB holds the ball for 5 seconds, that's not a pass rush win. If the QB scrambles to that defenders side and runs himself into the defender, that defender is not given a pass rush win even if they got a "sack" in the official stat column.

So, for Bosa to win at the rate he is, is incredible. It's also a good correlation to a defense's ability to defend the longer developing concepts. The higher the win rate, the more likely an opposing team will be unable or not be confident in calling a long developing play, i.e. 5 steps with a hitch or double hitch and 7 step drops.

This way it eliminates coverage sacks/pressures, sacks caused by other players or poor QB play or isn't counting quick throws due to poor coverage or blown assignments against defenders. It's simply measuring a pass rushers ability to beat the guy across from him.

pressures is a hard stat to look at because most of those are given by specific sites. PFF, and Football Outsiders are kind of seen as the go-to guys for TV and media analysts while teams will usually chart those statistics internally by assistant coaches. A pressure is anytime a QB isn't given a "clean" pocket to throw from, meaning they've been forced to move off their throwing spot or had a defender coming at them free while throwing. So, bull rushes that push tackles into a QB whilst throwing is considered a "pressure" or beating a tackle around the edge where the QB is forced to step up into the pocket is counted as a "pressure".
[ Edited by jonnydel on Oct 2, 2019 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
ESPN left bosa off their top 10 rookies list

The hate is real. I love it. More fuel to our fire.

This is how you know Bosa is real.

We are fans..... its natural to find the good in a young player and amp it up. Fans tend to forgive the down sides of a player for several years before they being to see reality for what it is.

When ESPN just skips over a prospect, and the fan base laughs it off because his value is so freaken obvious....you know the cat is real.

If Bosa was an OK prospect, and not a great one...there would be a thread about him being omitted with people defending him left and right....

The fact the only response is whimsical laughter ....tells you all we need to know.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Let's get that number to 50%

Link?
  • Antix
  • Veteran

ESPN bout to see first hand lol
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
I think the politics free can be removed now, In fact its the only thing that reminds me Nick even has political beliefs and isn't just terrorizing qbs lol
Originally posted by JMC52:
I think the politics free can be removed now, In fact its the only thing that reminds me Nick even has political beliefs and isn't just terrorizing qbs lol

I had to put up with the political stuff cropping up over and over and over again through countless pages and innumerable warnings from mods. I don't want any excuses from anybody to make me have to suffer through that again. This way mods can go straight to timeouts, do not pass go and do not collect $200.

• thl408
Got an alert on my phone someone posted the p word. Let's keep it about football. Thanks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
My boy is going to be near 100% against the Brownies - can't wait to see him get after Baker.
Originally posted by mayo49:
My boy is going to be near 100% against the Brownies - can't wait to see him get after Baker.

They have a below average line too. Think he has a monster game
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

x2

We know he's been very good and pretty much exactly what we were hoping for, hopefully Monday will net him two or three sacks and the talking heads can start appreciating.
Share 49ersWebzone