There are 98 users in the forums

Defensive Line Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Outside of the easiest pick known to mankind (Nick Bosa), is D.J. Jones this regimes best DL draft pick? Armstead and Buckner were from the Baalke regime.

For a FO trying to win a Superbowl through the DL, they kind of suck at it via the draft.

I like that they pivoted to cheap 1-year veteran former 1st round picks though (via FA and trades).

What's wild is the identified Jordan Willis and Charles Omenihu as guys to trade for- both worked out very well. Ebukam was a good signing and I'd argue Dee Ford was a good player, in spite of the injuries. Trenches is where we probably are the weakest in the draft.

that's not a recipe for success going forward.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Outside of the easiest pick known to mankind (Nick Bosa), is D.J. Jones this regimes best DL draft pick? Armstead and Buckner were from the Baalke regime.

For a FO trying to win a Superbowl through the DL, they kind of suck at it via the draft.

I like that they pivoted to cheap 1-year veteran former 1st round picks though (via FA and trades).

What's wild is the identified Jordan Willis and Charles Omenihu as guys to trade for- both worked out very well. Ebukam was a good signing and I'd argue Dee Ford was a good player, in spite of the injuries. Trenches is where we probably are the weakest in the draft.

that's not a recipe for success going forward.

Nope. I mentioned it in one OL thread but it's true with D line as well. They do seem to have big ideas,but it hasn't translated.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Outside of Nick Bosa and DJ Jones, yeah, they've whiffed on a bunch of DL picks. I think Kentavius Street was probably the best pick after those guys factoring in where he was selected, and even he was just a rotational player.

All facts

Bosa struggles against the run, especially running QB's cause he can't set an edge.

This lost us the super bowl!

Huh lol

Go look at when/where Mahomes ran the ball.

Outside of Nick Bosa and DJ Jones, yeah, they've whiffed on a bunch of DL picks. I think Kentavius Street was probably the best pick after those guys factoring in where he was selected, and even he was just a rotational player.

All facts

Bosa struggles against the run, especially running QB's cause he can't set an edge.

Huh lol

He bit SO hard that RB while Trent was screaming go for Mahomes.

All facts

Huh lol

Ah so one play means he struggles against the run. Got it lol

I can't believe people still don't understand the wide 9, crashing ends, and scrape exchanges in 2024.

If anyone is to blame for those Mahomes runs, it's Steve Wilks. When the backside end is coached to crash the dive on runs away(been this way since 2019) and has multiple TFLs in the game as a result, it might then be a good idea to change the end's read technique to avoid becoming predictable against a brilliant coach like Andy Reid.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 5, 2024 at 12:40 PM ]

All facts

Huh lol

I can't believe people still don't understand the wide 9, crashing ends, and scrape exchanges in 2024.

If anyone is to blame for those Mahomes runs, it's Steve Wilks. When the backside end is coached to crash the dive on runs away(been this way since 2019) and has multiple TFLs in the game as a result, it might then be a good idea to change the end's read technique to avoid becoming predictable against a brilliant coach like Andy Reid.

Kyle never allowed Steve Wilks genius to shine. All Kyle's fault.
Reading form the front page that Kourcek loved Collins coming out of college and it's one reason they wen after him to replace AA. hope they get get more stout on early downs and create some negative plays. Way too many 3rd and shorts last year. Need to get teams in 3rd and long and let the pass rush get going.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

So when a coach does a good job, it's him, but when he doesn't, it's Shanahan "not allowing his genius to shine". Really? Not sure that Wilks was possessed of genius.

Originally posted by lamontb:
Reading form the front page that Kourcek loved Collins coming out of college and it's one reason they wen after him to replace AA. hope they get get more stout on early downs and create some negative plays. Way too many 3rd and shorts last year. Need to get teams in 3rd and long and let the pass rush get going.

Read his interview in the athletic and curious if they go with Elliott and YMG on base downs to help with this.
  • thl408
Originally posted by English:

So when a coach does a good job, it's him, but when he doesn't, it's Shanahan "not allowing his genius to shine". Really? Not sure that Wilks was possessed of genius.

It was a sarcastic post.
Originally posted by English:

You absolutely NAILED it English!!
I heard Grant call Elliot the most disruptive lineman in practice yesterday. He talked up Gross Matos as well. Read somewhere that they will roll out the 5 man front to help stop the run this year. We need to get back to making plays in the back field. More tfl's and get the offense in a tougher spot. Too many 3 and shorts over the last season.
Share 49ersWebzone