There are 182 users in the forums

Defensive Line Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
I heard Grant call Elliot the most disruptive lineman in practice yesterday. He talked up Gross Matos as well. Read somewhere that they will roll out the 5 man front to help stop the run this year. We need to get back to making plays in the back field. More tfl's and get the offense in a tougher spot. Too many 3 and shorts over the last season.

I'd be interested in reading about 5-man fronts. DeMeco and Saleh used bear fronts to stop certain runs in the past, but Wilks used 5-man fronts in rush downs, which turned out to be a bad idea since it just congests rush lanes and reduces two-way goes for multiple players.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I thought JE was a great pick up.. El and Colins should help us out big time
I heard Grant call Elliot the most disruptive lineman in practice yesterday. He talked up Gross Matos as well. Read somewhere that they will roll out the 5 man front to help stop the run this year. We need to get back to making plays in the back field. More tfl's and get the offense in a tougher spot. Too many 3 and shorts over the last season.

I'd be interested in reading about 5-man fronts. DeMeco and Saleh used bear fronts to stop certain runs in the past, but Wilks used 5-man fronts in rush downs, which turned out to be a bad idea since it just congests rush lanes and reduces two-way goes for multiple players.

I went back and it was actually one of Grant's youtube videos where he said they used the 5 man front in obvious run downs in TC. And that it was pretty effective from what he saw, so expect to see more of it this year. Big difference to me is that we actually have coaches now that know how to scheme up some s**t with these guys.
  • thl408

I went back and it was actually one of Grant's youtube videos where he said they used the 5 man front in obvious run downs in TC. And that it was pretty effective from what he saw, so expect to see more of it this year. Big difference to me is that we actually have coaches now that know how to scheme up some s**t with these guys.

Last year when they used a 5 man front, it had 5 down linemen (no OLBs). This year they have Floyd and Matos, two OLBs that have played in a 3-4. They also have Brandon Staley who coached a 3-4, although it wasn't a one gap front. I don't think having Staley on board equates to seeing five man fronts, but we'll see.
I have to say it's incredible to see a front page article highlighting how thin our DE depth is ( and somewhat inside as well) after how much the regime has invested into the unit over 8 years.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I have to say it's incredible to see a front page article highlighting how thin our DE depth is ( and somewhat inside as well) after how much the regime has invested into the unit over 8 years.

I'm much more concerned with inside.
Originally posted by mcwoot:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

I'm much more concerned with inside.

Well that's where the real lack of depth is.
I'm so bummed about losing AA I haven't paid attention to this years news.
I know its pre season but Givens and Elliot looked really really really bad. Gross Matos looked solid. But our depth is total trash
I know its pre season but Givens and Elliot looked really really really bad. Gross Matos looked solid. But our depth is total trash

What did Elliott do? Didn't even think he played

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

did any of the main DL guys play.. didn't see their names or numbers.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Elliot caused one pressure. I didn't see much else.

"I know it's preseason", but..."

"Our depth is total trash"

So obviously you don't know it's preseason then lol.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:

"I know it's preseason", but..."

"Our depth is total trash"

So obviously you don't know it's preseason then lol.

theres truth to this. We will find out soon enough, but still amazing the d line is thin.
If Leonard Floyd isn't ready to go week 1, this is an awful edge group. Robert Beal doesn't inspire any confidence.
Share 49ersWebzone