LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 226 users in the forums

Your Favourite Niners Super Bowl Team? (or, Rank 1-8)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Favourite Niners Super Bowl Team? (or, Rank 1-8)

• DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchtoast:
1994 lost to the Eagles 40-9. 1984 was easily the most consistent with the best defense EVER. All 4 in the secondary made the Pro Bowl. 18-1 and steamrollered the opposition in the playoffs. 1989 was a close second.

I think Deion wasn't playing in that game. After that loss, the Niners went on to win the rest of their season games (minus the last game bc they had already clinched). They ripped all their opponents in the playoffs to grab number 5. I think they had 9 pro bowlers with like 6 all pros. It was the best 49ers team. Second place goes to the 1989 squad.
Originally posted by DrEll:
I think Deion wasn't playing in that game. After that loss, the Niners went on to win the rest of their season games (minus the last game bc they had already clinched). They ripped all their opponents in the playoffs to grab number 5. I think they had 9 pro bowlers with like 6 all pros. It was the best 49ers team. Second place goes to the 1989 squad.

He played, though being only his third game with the team (they eased him in slowly as a slot corner IIRC) his playing time may have been limited. Also, that game was the only one where he ever wore the regular (not throwback) Niner uniform:
You can't rank it because this game is yet to be played out. Let it play out and then see.
I was able to enjoy 94 because I was in high school then. The others happened when I was a little too young to enjoy them fully.
Currently it's 94. But this year has a chance to take the top spot.
the others

Originally posted by English:
the others

The dilemma I have the 84 team didn't have Rice. The 89 team didn't have Walsh. The 94 team didn't have Joe.

I go with 89 team, cuz even without Walsh, his fingerprints are all over the operation. And you have Montana to Rice, with Young on the bench. A HOF QB on the bench is pretty filthy
In 84/89 teams jump out immediately as best teams.

If the question is favorite, what about 88? That team was .500 at one point midseason. They went back to Montana and never lost again. They got revenge on the Vikings and went into Chicago and whipped the Bears. They faced adversity in the SB before driving the length of the field for the GW TD. Rice's most important catch (and run) ever might have been 2nd and 15 on that last drive. Without that, there is a very good chance the Bengals pull off the upset.

88 was not the best. But it was a team who had a HC facing alot of pressure. Questions about Montana's job security. They overcame it all.
[ Edited by 49ers9797 on Feb 9, 2024 at 10:21 AM ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Biggest mismatch in SB history. Chargers vs 49ers. Game was over before it began lol.

Just watched "America's Game" which had either 88 or 89 Niners, and showed Jerry Rice's touchdown against the Saints. He clearly lost control of the ball right before entering the end zone, and that's all they showed of the play. Was this counted as a TD?
Originally posted by 49ers9797:

Biggest mismatch in SB history. Chargers vs 49ers. Game was over before it began lol.

1990: 49ers 55, Broncos 10 rings a bell....
Originally posted by 49ers9797:

It was a thing of beauty. Poetry on the field.
I wanna see my team win a SB first before having a favorite.... 32 years old and never seen it.
Share 49ersWebzone