LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 164 users in the forums

How to defend Chiefs Offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How to defend Chiefs Offense?

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I think we might mix it up a little early on, but will ultimately settle on playing our defense. That means trusting our front four to get pressure in order to limit his big play opportunities.

Our safeties are going to have to be on their game because they have too much speed to expect our coverage to hold up man to man for very long.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Unleash the dawgs, put a spy on Mahomeat and attack. Dont let him out of the pocket, contain him and let our twin towers collapse the pocket from the middle. Wouldn't mind if we sit Pettis and activate one of the dawgs Givens to help collapse the middle with his quickness and strength in the middle.

I honestly don't think we should put a spy on Mahomes. I would however have the dlmen go after him with any rollout and let the linebackers and DBs handle the run if he acrually hands off. Certainly no cheap shots like that dumbass Florio suggests but make sure if they run those fakes and have him put his back to the defense that we make him pay for it.

Mahomes is mobile but I'm not worried about him enough as a runner to spy on him imo. He runs to pass and that's my biggest fear with his mobility. If we play zone he shouldn't get a ton of great looks to run so if our big bodies make him pay for any fakes and give our guys an easy hit then we should take it.

As far as doing our normal rush we have to try and squeeze the pocket around him and need to try and keep him in the pocket, he's most dangerous when he scrambles and hits guys down the field with huge gainers. Can't let him get outside and get him those big play opportunities.

Of course that's easier said than done...hopefully our DL plays their best game of the season and Nick has another Carolina like game in him. Wouldn't mind if Dee had himself a great revenge game too(just don't line up offsides )
Wide 9 and Cover 3.
I just think our personnel matters. We are healthy.
We are really good when healthy. I don't see us getting smoked all day. I see a bunch of off schedule stuff from Mahomes that won't be pretty due to our pressure up front.
I voted mix it up. Make him play a small field and limit his timing with situational looks. But by and large, just win with speed talent and power.
KTFO Patrick Mahomes. If that happens, I guarantee a 49er victory.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 23, 2020 at 8:40 PM ]
By controlling the clock with our offense.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

LOLL.
Same game plan as for the Seacawks... keep Midget contained in the pocket and collapse it from inside at the expense of the hard edge rush, and shut down the run game on 1st/2nd down...
shut down 1st and 2nd down and make em beat us on 3rd and longs which is our strength.

The Chargers held Mahomes to less than 200 yards passing in both games this year and last year held him to 250 YPG in two games.

Chargers were 5th in pass DVOA this year. We were 1st.

Chargers played a lot of Cover 3, four man rush but did mix it up with some corner blitzes and single high.

Seriously, you play the Cover 3. You limit the big plays and force them to take the underneath routes. They are still going to score, but make them burn the clock and shorten the game.
Step 1. Look up at what the Tennessee defense did against the Chiefs.

Step 2. Don't do that.
Originally posted by ady2glude707:
Possibly do what the Chargers have done on defense?
https://twitter.com/Scott_Geelan/status/1220466933889490944

San Diego put out the blueprint to limiting that offense the way Chicago did to the Rams last season. San Diego also runs largely the same scheme so there should be plenty for Saleh to utilize but guys are still going to have execute at a high level and avoid lapses and miscues in coverage.
According to that festering dickhole Florio, our only chance is to play dirty and intentionally hurt Mahomes.
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
I just think our personnel matters. We are healthy.
We are really good when healthy. I don't see us getting smoked all day. I see a bunch of off schedule stuff from Mahomes that won't be pretty due to our pressure up front.
I voted mix it up. Make him play a small field and limit his timing with situational looks. But by and large, just win with speed talent and power.

Agreed. Nobody beat us this year when we've had all of our horses...not one team
Share 49ersWebzone