There are 257 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
It's not like Aiyuk is recreating the position with his route running. He is an exceptional route runner I don't want to come off as anti Aiyuk. I like him a lot but have seen his envy for other receivers in pass happy offenses. But context of being in a run first offense who's run fakes suck up the linebackers who are to defend the second level has some thing to do with his separation when we run a lot of Yankee and Pin concepts. Dudes a really good receiver in a great offense. But if he was the only offensive threat like JJetta I don't think he would be getting the kinda separation he gets here. He does get less targets here but he also gets less defensive attention here.

If was a fifth we'd all be drunk.

Dude produced at the most efficient clip of an All Pro this year so he should be expected to be paid as such

I have no problem paying Aiyuk as a top five guy. My understanding is if we tagged him we'd likely be approaching doing that anyway
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
It's not like Aiyuk is recreating the position with his route running. He is an exceptional route runner I don't want to come off as anti Aiyuk. I like him a lot but have seen his envy for other receivers in pass happy offenses. But context of being in a run first offense who's run fakes suck up the linebackers who are to defend the second level has some thing to do with his separation when we run a lot of Yankee and Pin concepts. Dudes a really good receiver in a great offense. But if he was the only offensive threat like JJetta I don't think he would be getting the kinda separation he gets here. He does get less targets here but he also gets less defensive attention here.

If was a fifth we'd all be drunk.

Dude produced at the most efficient clip of an All Pro this year so he should be expected to be paid as such

I have no problem paying Aiyuk as a top five guy. My understanding is if we tagged him we'd likely be approaching doing that anyway

I don't believe in "pass first offenses" anymore. For example if the Vikings could give their RBs 20-30 carries a game, they would. That would always be the preference. If you are getting that many carries then that means it's working. Jefferson balls out every year since he's been in the league because their RBs were an aging Cook, then made Mattison their #1. That's just not a good rushing attack. I guarantee you if the Vikings get a true #1 RB then the offense will not go through JJ.

Same with teams like the Bengals with Chase. Hell I consider Metcalf a true #1 and the Seahawks try their hardest to pound the rock first. Pass first offenses only exist because they have to. If Aiyuk got traded to the Steelers and Najee Harris decides to live up to his draft status, then guess what? Steelers would be a run first offense and Aiyuk will get his 70 catches a year again.
I know I said this stuff before but I hate paying layers based on how their performance compares to others at their position. He might be a 1500 yard receiver with one team but800 yards with another. Receivers that play on a team with an offense that throws deep a lot and has a big armed QB are likely to get more yards. Especially if they are the main weapon. The other reason I don't like paying players that way is because their performance can vary from one year to the next. He can be top 5 one year and not even top 15 the next depending on circumstances.

Players should be paid based on what the team feels their value is. One team may place a higher value on him than another. It's that way in nearly every profession I know of.
Rather than break the bank I would trade Aiyuk for a mid first round pick to get a top tackle of the future, plus an established receiver or another draft pick to get a hot rookie wr.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I know I said this stuff before but I hate paying layers based on how their performance compares to others at their position. He might be a 1500 yard receiver with one team but800 yards with another. Receivers that play on a team with an offense that throws deep a lot and has a big armed QB are likely to get more yards. Especially if they are the main weapon. The other reason I don't like paying players that way is because their performance can vary from one year to the next. He can be top 5 one year and not even top 15 the next depending on circumstances.

Players should be paid based on what the team feels their value is. One team may place a higher value on him than another. It's that way in nearly every profession I know of.

You just basically explained what free agency is.

Niners FO: We don't want to pay you 25mil/year for what our offense does
Team A: We will absolutely pay you 25mil/year based on what our offense does!
Originally posted by rapid4:
Rather than break the bank I would trade Aiyuk for a mid first round pick to get a top tackle of the future, plus an established receiver or another draft pick to get a hot rookie wr.

Nah we don't have nearly any good talent at the WR position behind Aiyuk and Deebo
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

You just basically explained what free agency is.

Niners FO: We don't want to pay you 25mil/year for what our offense does
Team A: We will absolutely pay you 25mil/year based on what our offense does!

Right I read it three times thinking i missed something.
Nah we don't have nearly any good talent at the WR position behind Aiyuk and Deebo

Nah, veteran and draft pick will fill the hole. College WRs these days are advanced.
Originally posted by Stanley:

Nah, veteran and draft pick will fill the hole. College WRs these days are advanced.

Lmfao. Glad you're not running the team.

We're not trading him folks.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Dirtydonedirtcheap69:
Originally posted by Stanley:

Lmfao. Glad you're not running the team.

We're not trading him folks.

Yeah, Kyle isn't going to trade a WR when they finally develop the finer details of being a WR, and have chemistry with the FQB. Next thing you know, Kyle selects another Dante Pettis - let's not risk that. Good, young Split Ends are very valuable even if they aren't the focal point of an offense. Even when they aren't targeted, they have an impact on the play, preventing a defense from selling out to stop the run.

Originally posted by Cisco0623:
I agree, but you have to have an ego to be a WR and well... yeah we see those egos lol

I have said Aiyuk is a very good wr in the past. He's not that top level elite #1 talent imo (who is these days?), but he's very good. Unfortunately this position pays silly at this point.

I'm just saying he's just made All Pro so taking out emotion or opinion the fact is he should expect to be paid like it and honestly he's a great fit for this team which is why Kyle drafted him in the first round so let's lock him up!

Oh I agree, just noting the nature of free agency and how it escalates prices. IMO he should be paid around deebo money.
Oh I agree, just noting the nature of free agency and how it escalates prices. IMO he should be paid around deebo money.

He's gonna be paid like an All Pro who's NOT hit free agency and is in a situation where the team holds leverage over him as they can simply retainsl him at three years $70M against his will. So it's in his best interests to negotiate the best extension for himself with us so that he can make a bit more money for himself

He's gonna be paid like an All Pro who's NOT hit free agency and is in a situation where the team holds leverage over him as they can simply retainsl him at three years $70M against his will. So it's in his best interests to negotiate the best extension for himself with us so that he can make a bit more money for himself

Yeah but he really has no leverage unless the front office takes social media seriously 😂
Yeah but he really has no leverage unless the front office takes social media seriously 😂

Yup. He can throw diva tantrums all he wants, we don't HAVE to even do a new contract. 5th year option or he can hold out and get fined, choice is his
Originally posted by thl408:
Yeah, Kyle isn't going to trade a WR when they finally develop the finer details of being a WR, and have chemistry with the FQB. Next thing you know, Kyle selects another Dante Pettis - let's not risk that. Good, young Split Ends are very valuable even if they aren't the focal point of an offense. Even when they aren't targeted, they have an impact on the play, preventing a defense from selling out to stop the run.

I think they draft a WR now and perhaps somewhat early. Ray Ray is gone, Jennings will be an unrestricted free agent after next season, Gray looks like a major bust and if they can't get Aiyuk signed to a long term deal then they really will need to look at trading him so they'd better have someone in house ready to go and hold down at least a #3 WR spot.

This draft class is pretty filthy when it comes to WR talent so I wouldn't be too shocked if they picked two even, one early, one late to develop the rotation.
Share 49ersWebzone