There are 212 users in the forums

Brandon Aiyuk is a 49er! Pick #25, 2020 NFL Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Remember who drafted Aiyuk, it's Shanahan. He loves him. They will keep him. After letting go Arik, I don't think their plan is to trade Brandon. Plus there's the Purdy factor. Clearly Aiyuk is the receiver who have the best alchemy with him. All this talk about this great WR class is cool but you don't want to be the Titans/AJ Brown of this year. We'll see what happens but the logic here would be to re-sign Aiyuk specially now that he's a true All Pro talent.
[ Edited by pdc20 on Apr 14, 2024 at 12:20 AM ]
Originally posted by pdc20:
Remember who drafted Aiyuk, it's Shanahan. He loves him. They will keep him. After letting go Arik, I don't think their plan is to trade Brandon. Plus there's the Purdy factor. Clearly Aiyuk is the receiver who have the best alchemy with him. All this talk about this great WR class is cool but you don't want to be the Titans/AJ Brown of this year. We'll see what happens but the logic here would be to re-sign Aiyuk specially now that he's a true All Pro talent.

Aiyuk's game is very similar to Davante Adams. Why would anyone want to trade a 26 yr old Adams? he's great on and off the field and blocks just like Kyle wants.

it's hard to find a true split end. Someone that you can lineup outside and count on to get open repeatedly.

This is about now and the future. Would be f**king dumb to move him.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
f**k that. All-pro WR who's young. I don't want what if WRs on a Super Bowl or bust team. Even BA a 1st rounder himself took a little time to be successful on this team.

this s**t is backwards…Pitt is the team that should be building through the draft, they aren't winning s**t right now.

folks act like we got some young elite receiver group….we got two often injured guys who have one year left on their deal AND BA. Moving that for a late 1st is dumb as s**t

You're right, and the only argument in its favor is financial. The point wouldn't be to trade Aiyuk because it makes the team better; it'd be to avoid another $25/yr contract. I'm pretty confident the team can figure it out, as they've been planning for this for a while.
Originally posted by sspiker:
f**k that. All-pro WR who's young. I don't want what if WRs on a Super Bowl or bust team. Even BA a 1st rounder himself took a little time to be successful on this team.

this s**t is backwards…Pitt is the team that should be building through the draft, they aren't winning s**t right now.

folks act like we got some young elite receiver group….we got two often injured guys who have one year left on their deal AND BA. Moving that for a late 1st is dumb as s**t

You're right, and the only argument in its favor is financial. The point wouldn't be to trade Aiyuk because it makes the team better; it'd be to avoid another $25/yr contract. I'm pretty confident the team can figure it out, as they've been planning for this for a while.

Folks need to understand how cap space/contracts work though. His cap hit won't be substantial until guys like Deebo/Kittle are basically off the books…Go look at Deebo's deal when it was made, his cap hit wasn't large until year 3 of his extension. Same with Kittle and Fred as well.

the whole APY $25M stuff is not how it works end of the day. There's so much fluff in those contracts…It's about the GTD $ and how you can manipulate the cap, which SF has always been good at doing.

Money isn't a problem. BA needs to realize this is the status quo in SF. They don't extend guys until the summer time. Bosa/deebo/warner/kittle etc. he's not above those guys and will be extended in the same fashion.

If he really really wants out, then you're requesting the same s**t AJ Brown got in a trade. A 1st and 3rd…if that's not there then he needs to realize his market and contract isn't as high as he thought.

Folks need to understand how cap space/contracts work though. His cap hit won't be substantial until guys like Deebo/Kittle are basically off the books…Go look at Deebo's deal when it was made, his cap hit wasn't large until year 3 of his extension. Same with Kittle and Fred as well.

the whole APY $25M stuff is not how it works end of the day. There's so much fluff in those contracts…It's about the GTD $ and how you can manipulate the cap, which SF has always been good at doing.

Money isn't a problem. BA needs to realize this is the status quo in SF. They don't extend guys until the summer time. Bosa/deebo/warner/kittle etc. he's not above those guys and will be extended in the same fashion.

If he really really wants out, then you're requesting the same s**t AJ Brown got in a trade. A 1st and 3rd…if that's not there then he needs to realize his market and contract isn't as high as he thought.

All this is the way they negotiate now. I don't pay much attention to what either side says. Aiyuk has no bargaining power. He's under contract so he will play and try to have a great season to increase his bargaining power if he decides to test free agency. I never understood why players seem to take it as an insult if they don't have their contracts extended a year early.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Apr 14, 2024 at 7:44 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

All this is the way they negotiate now. I don't pay much attention to what either side says. Aiyuk has no bargaining power. He's under contract so he will play and try to have a great season to increase his bargaining power if he decides to test free agency. I never understood why players seem to take it as an insult if they don't have their contracts extended a year early.

Yeah I don't know. I get it, I would want my signing bonus in my pocket asap as well lol.

Like others said, his agent is best friends with lynch. John was his best man at his wedding (Ryan Williams).

I don't really see it happening…unless he really doesn't want to be here. If he can't wait a year to get top end targets, cares more about being a team's WR1 and not winning a Super Bowl send him to the Jags for 17 and 96. Outside of that sorry dude you're a 49er

Yeah I don't know. I get it, I would want my signing bonus in my pocket asap as well lol.

Like others said, his agent is best friends with lynch. John was his best man at his wedding (Ryan Williams).

I don't really see it happening…unless he really doesn't want to be here. If he can't wait a year to get top end targets, cares more about being a team's WR1 and not winning a Super Bowl send him to the Jags for 17 and 96. Outside of that sorry dude you're a 49er

If we end up trading him, I'd honestly be a bit underwhelmed by a mid-first and a 3rd. We've been without a true #1 WR for so long before BA that it just feels that draft compensation should account for just how hard it is to find a guy of his caliber entering his prime. At the end of the day, this is all likely just posturing on his part, and part of the new MO in how some players will act in order to apply pressure in the negotiating space. It annoying, but we saw it all play out the same with Deebo.
Extending contracts a year early is almost like a status symbol for athletes. It's like the salary race to see who can get paid more than the other guy. It seems like they measure their importance by how much they make as much or more than how well they actually play. Remember when all athletes went to the combine. Then a couple decided to have their own private workouts. Now several just do their "pro days". It's like they're saying they're special. It's a copy cat league in every aspect.
Originally posted by Chance:
If we end up trading him, I'd honestly be a bit underwhelmed by a mid-first and a 3rd. We've been without a true #1 WR for so long before BA that it just feels that draft compensation should account for just how hard it is to find a guy of his caliber entering his prime. At the end of the day, this is all likely just posturing on his part, and part of the new MO in how some players will act in order to apply pressure in the negotiating space. It annoying, but we saw it all play out the same with Deebo.

I mean I don't think you can expect anything more than that…the other team has to throw down a bunch of cash on top of it. The AJ Brown trade is the blueprint, if that's what everyone wants to do.

I agree I don't want to move him. IMO he's Davante Adams 2.0. He just needs similar targets to get the same recognition. Move SF fans should realize this is how it rolls at this point lol. Don't be shocked if we see "Brandon requests a trade" next week
Extending contracts a year early is almost like a status symbol for athletes. It's like the salary race to see who can get paid more than the other guy. It seems like they measure their importance by how much they make as much or more than how well they actually play. Remember when all athletes went to the combine. Then a couple decided to have their own private workouts. Now several just do their "pro days". It's like they're saying they're special. It's a copy cat league in every aspect.

I mean SF love's extending contracts early. Most teams do. They can get the guy for basically a longer deal and can spread out that cash. They can get them cheaper down the road because other guys at their position will reset it year to year.

he ain't playing on his 5th yr option.

Example…when you give a guy an "3 yr extension" when he has a year left. That year under his rookie deal doesn't disappear. He's bacially under contract for 4 years and they can move around cash to accommodate the player and cap. The goal is to always extend guys as soon as you can vs resign guys that are heading to FA.
I mean I don't think you can expect anything more than that…the other team has to throw down a bunch of cash on top of it. The AJ Brown trade is the blueprint, if that's what everyone wants to do.

I agree I don't want to move him. IMO he's Davante Adams 2.0. He just needs similar targets to get the same recognition. Move SF fans should realize this is how it rolls at this point lol. Don't be shocked if we see "Brandon requests a trade" next week

Not that I think this guy has sources
I requested a million dollar salary from my boss. (he told me to eat s**t)
Originally posted by Heroism:
I requested a million dollar salary from my boss. (he told me to eat s**t)

Yeah, but did you unfollow him?
lol BA's agent shut that down

[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 14, 2024 at 9:19 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone